How Badly Will The Gaming Press Embarrass Themselves This Year?

• 196 results
algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By algertman

Over the last year it has really come into light just how bad things are in the gaming press when it comes to integrity and honesty. On top of that just how childish everyone acts when they get called out on it. Look at the Halo 4 mess. MS did their best to court the gaming press over it and the press just ate it up. But when they got called out on it and brought up journalistic integrity? Oh no, they were never journalist, never used the word, and never presented themselves as such, and how dare you bring that up. Mass Effect 3 was bizarre because I have never seen the gaming press turn on the public like and attack. GTAIV reviews read like some competition of which site could have the most outlandish praise. This year will be glorious. So how bad do you think it will get? I expect huge twitter meltdowns over members of the press defending their actions.

New Consoles - MS has thrown around insane amounts of money in the past. Remember the Kinect party with the ponchos? I expect Sony to go all out but they just don't spend the money like MS does. One year MS just gave everyone at their E3 show a free 360. Nope, nothing questionable there at all.

GTAV - As I said up top, GTAIV reviews are so crazy it's like they were wrote up by Rockstar and reviewers just signed their name to them. I expect GTAV to be no different.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By Little_Socrates

The fanbase was generally REALLY GROSS about Mass Effect 3. Not so much the "change the ending" people, as they were frustrating from an artistic integrity sensibility, but those who spat bilious venom towards the staff of BioWare. I'll remind you that a ridiculous number of people were screaming hate speech at the game's primary writer about a month before the game released. Enough felt like it was enough.

Also, I'm confused. Are you saying that MS tried to pay off Halo 4 reviews? 'cause it seems to me that those who enjoyed it did so legitimately, as I have a couple of friends who really dug it.

Your lack of faith in the gaming press disturbs me. Do you just only trust Giant Bomb and that's why you're here?

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

What Halo 4 mess are you talking about?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#4  Edited By audioBusting

It's gonna be hard to top Ben Kuchera's recent twitter antics. But yeah it's a bit unfair to generalize the gaming press like this, people who are doing good jobs aren't being recognized as much as they should be.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By JoeyRavn

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I guess he's referring to the "Doritosgate"? But that wasn't so much about Halo, really. It was more about the nature of advertising in video gaming than anything else.

Or he's implying that Halo 4 was a bad game and Microsoft bought its positive reviews. I honestly dunno.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#6  Edited By StarvingGamer

No worse than any other year I suppose. There always have been and always will be spectacular acts of idiocy by the press.

If anything, I'd ask how badly will the gaming community embarrass themselves this year. Because last year was a fucking joke. I've never seen so much blind bandwagoning on arguments completely devoid of any semblance of common sense.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Gaff

We've just finished January and we're already into full tinfoil hat mode already?

Tangentially related: Every argument on the internet really does just boil down to "How can you like / hate this thing I hate / like, OH YOU MUST BE <insert pejorative here>", I guess?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spoonman671

Warped perception much?

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Shortbreadtom

Not really sure what your talking about with that stuff. You just seem cynical. All press in any media has issues, and I don't really think games are much worse. The community usually embarrass themselves more than the press does.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Not as much as the general fanbase probably will.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By droop

Jeff will be fired from Giant Bomb, Brad will leave, Vinny and Drew make their own spin off site doing only Simulation Game quick looks, Ryan will buy an island in the pacific and start a communist empire, and Patrick will get a contract playing for the Chicago Bulls.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By EarlessShrimp

What an interesting perspective you have. Silly me, I thought I was grossly cynical and negative about the world.

EDIT: also, I have a bit of advice: don't be ellis.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ghostiet
@Droop said:

Jeff will be fired from Giant Bomb, Brad will leave, Vinny and Drew make their own spin off site doing only Simulation Game quick looks, Ryan will buy an island in the pacific and start a communist empire, and Patrick will get a contract playing for the Chicago Bulls.

Nice of you to sneak in the only true bit of info - the one about Brad leaving.
Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dogma

What are you even talking about? What Halo 4 mess? I follow this kind of things quite much and I have never heard of any biG Halo 4 thing this year.

As someone above me already said. Your lack of faith in the gaming press just seems kinda of uncalled for. People are so ready to bitch about the press for the most stupid things. If you actively search for misstakes you will find them. I would also say that the gaming community embarrsed themself more than the press last year. I mean...the gamers thinks the press embarrses themself if they give a game a wrong score, or talk about opinions the don't like. It's really subjective. Have game writing done some wrong things? Of course. But the way you write this just oozes shaden freude, and that's just ugly.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By MildMolasses

I never really understood the todo about "Doritosgate"(which is a fucking stupid name). What Keighly does on GTTV is like Entertainment Tonight, and I don't recall anyone ever calling out Mary Hart's journalistic credibility.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

I want video games and their discussions about them to be as devoid of cynicism as I can this year. And I also hope it's law that no one ever makes "twitter meltdowns" possible.

Gotta say, while I am a little uneasy about how GTA IV got such huge praise, it was still a fun game. I'm pretty pumped for the "fifth" one.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ghost_cat

Every press or gaming press makes mistakes or gets a little carried away sometimes, but it's the fanbase, commenters, and forum users who are out-of-control embarrassing.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By toowalrus

<>

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@StarvingGamer said:

If anything, I'd ask how badly will the gaming community embarrass themselves this year. Because last year was a fucking joke. I've never seen so much blind bandwagoning on arguments completely devoid of any semblance of common sense.

I hope you're not referring to the outrage over ME3's ending, because I think that's exactly what the topic creator was getting at.

People had legitimate and typically well explained reasons for disliking what happened and the press basically brushed it aside as "entitlement". Some people took their complaints too far, but that's always the case and the journalists proved to be just as immature as the ones whining.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By pr1mus

The gaming press can be pretty bad at times but other than the ME3 thing your other examples are even worst. You just sound like a crazy person going nuts over review scores.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By laserbolts

I think GTA 4 is one of the best games of this generation and I'm a nobody and clearly not paid off or anything. I'm assuming that's what you're talking about when referring to GTA 4. You know it's possible that the reviewers genuinely liked the game. No idea what you are talking about with Halo 4. As for ME3 it sort of sucks that a few dummies made the entire gaming community look like whiny immature idiots but as long as the Internet is a thing this will happen. It's ironic that someone can take issue with the press making large sweeping judgements about the entire gaming community and then do the exact same thing against the press because Kuchera or whoever else happens to be a part of it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#22  Edited By StarvingGamer

@WinterSnowblind said:

@StarvingGamer said:

I hope you're not referring to the outrage over ME3's ending, because I think that's exactly what the topic creator was getting at.

People had legitimate and typically well explained reasons for disliking what happened and the press basically brushed it aside as "entitlement". Some people took their complaints too far, but that's always the case and the journalists proved to be just as immature as the ones whining.

I'd agree that some people had legitimate and well explained reasons for disliking the ending to ME3, but they were hardly typical.

But ME3 was only the tip of the 2012 iceberg of internet mob mentality.

dooscent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By dooscent

@Droop said:

Ryan better hire Jeff as his secretary of "CATAPULT INTO THE SUN" defense.

Seriously.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By bacongames

♫/5

That's how badly.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By BrittonPeele

@algertman said:

Over the last year it has really come into light just how bad things are in the gaming press when it comes to integrity and honesty. On top of that just how childish everyone acts when they get called out on it. Look at the Halo 4 mess. MS did their best to court the gaming press over it and the press just ate it up. But when they got called out on it and brought up journalistic integrity? Oh no, they were never journalist, never used the word, and never presented themselves as such, and how dare you bring that up. Mass Effect 3 was bizarre because I have never seen the gaming press turn on the public like and attack. GTAIV reviews read like some competition of which site could have the most outlandish praise. This year will be glorious. So how bad do you think it will get? I expect huge twitter meltdowns over members of the press defending their actions.

New Consoles - MS has thrown around insane amounts of money in the past. Remember the Kinect party with the ponchos? I expect Sony to go all out but they just don't spend the money like MS does. One year MS just gave everyone at their E3 show a free 360. Nope, nothing questionable there at all.

GTAV - As I said up top, GTAIV reviews are so crazy it's like they were wrote up by Rockstar and reviewers just signed their name to them. I expect GTAV to be no different.

What Halo 4 mess? No, seriously, what Halo 4 mess? Because I'm a member of the press who reviewed Halo 4 (Microsoft sent me a copy), and I don't remember being courted at all. Did I miss out on all the fabled hookers and blow that people keep mentioning that I'm never invited to be a part of?

I wasn't part of the press when GTA IV came out, but either way that was my favorite game that year and my favorite GTA by far, soooo... Yeah, that one doesn't make sense to me either.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By OfficeGamer

What...is the reason for your fascination/infatuation with websites that review video games? Why do you care so much dude? Just play the games for entertainment..

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Trilogy

How embarrassing will the gaming press be? Probably only half as embarrassing as the online gaming communities usually are.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Legion_

They'll probably not emberass themselves more than the average gamer, like you.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GreggD

HANS, BUBBY

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sooty

The only gross thing about GTA IV was how reviews blissfully ignored the horrendous framerate. It ruined the game for me, especially on PS3. (I foolishly bought both versions thinking it'd be amazing, but it was no Vice City)

Red Dead Redemption ran much better, so I have no worries about GTA V. Although having said that, RDR did have less going on overall. We'll see.

Rockstar had an employee/contractor say he's doing animation for PS3, 360 and PC versions of GTA V. So I'll probably be getting it on PC anyway.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pyrodactyl

@StarvingGamer said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@StarvingGamer said:

I'd agree that some people had legitimate and well explained reasons for disliking the ending to ME3, but they were hardly typical.

But ME3 was only the tip of the 2012 iceberg of internet mob mentality.

I would expect game jounalists to have enough experience with the internet (some have been there for more than 10 years) to filter out the imbeciles and the 13 year olds when responding to the community. People writing complaints to the FCC or starting a public witch hunt don't deserve any attention from the press. Unfortunatly, they always get all the attention while the intelligent and reasoned people just get ignored.

The gaming press just ignores one of the most basic laws of the internet: each time someone has a legitimate issue or complaint and expresses it on the internet, 3 other people will scream like childrens over the same issue.

Please just ignore the screaming childrens...

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By twigger89

@Ghost_Cat said:

Every press or gaming press makes mistakes or gets a little carried away sometimes, but it's the fanbase, commenters, and forum users who are out-of-control embarrassing.

I think this sums it up perfectly

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Grixxel

@Droop said:

Vinny, Dave and Drew make their own spin off site doing only Simulation Game quick looks

Fixed.

Also to reply on the topic, no more than usual.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jimbo

I'd be surprised if they can top ME3.

jebara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jebara

@laserbolts: The thing about GTAIV is that no one dared to question any of the negative aspects about it and even praised those at times, for example, the friend aspect of was more of a chore but a lot of reviewers acted like it was tons of fun.

Although the game does have its fans, there is a large portion of gamers that thought it was extremely boring, yet not one of the gaming press expressed a similar opinion, doesn't that strike you as fishy?

From what I've read, its less that Rockstar paid them but used their influence in the gaming world to pressure the shit out of them, I think that was from that one Eurogamer dude that got fired for his article.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By MildMolasses

@WinterSnowblind said:

What exactly was the games press supposed to do about the ending? Its OK not to like it. Books, Movies, TV shows and games have bad endings all the time. Its not the games press' job to engage the audience or the developers on something so subjective. Its up to the each individual consumer to decide what to do with that. If they want to write a review, comment on a message board, or stop buying Bioware's products, those are all totally valid responses. Those are not the people who are "entitled" or crossing the line and not the ones that games press were talking about.

The people who were demanding a new ending, harassing employees and attempting to file lawsuits are crossing the line, and is a whole lot of entitlement. Those are non-subjective reactions and worth covering. They are not in the same camp as the people who didn't like ending for whatever reason and could discuss it rationally. If you felt that journalists were attacking you, then you clearly were not mentally separating yourself from that group which you should have been and should be angry at the "entitled" for derailing any reasoned conversation.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Milkman

@Trilogy said:

How embarrassing will the gaming press be? Probably only half as embarrassing as the online gaming communities usually are.

@Legion_ said:

They'll probably not emberass themselves more than the average gamer, like you.

Yep. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By colourful_hippie

@MariachiMacabre said:

Not as much as the general fanbase probably will.
EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By EXTomar

Why was the gaming press to blame for anything that was around Halo 4? What examples of bad behavior???

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think GTA IV is one of the best games of the generation...just cuz you didn't like it OP doesn't mean reviewers were paid off...if they were, question Giant Bomb...it was their Game of the Year...

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gaff

@Sooty: @jebara: I could've sworn the general consensus on GTA4 soured a bit - or was tempered - since its release five years ago.

If the emphasis wasn't clear: FIVE YEARS.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By gogosox82

@Gaff said:

Tangentially related: Every argument on the internet really does just boil down to "How can you like / hate this thing I hate / like, OH YOU MUST BE <insert pejorative here>", I guess?

Yep basically.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By dtat

@Little_Socrates: I really appreciate hat you make a distinction between people upset over the game and the people spewing hatred. Most people lazily lump them together. Good on ya!

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By phrosnite

Well, I bet they'll overrate Bioshock Infinite and GTA V to hell and back and the GotY debates will be even more boring than last year.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I feel like the OP is secretly jealous of the gaming press, that's why he hates them so much.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@JoeyRavn said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I guess he's referring to the "Doritosgate"? But that wasn't so much about Halo, really. It was more about the nature of advertising in video gaming than anything else.

Or he's implying that Halo 4 was a bad game and Microsoft bought its positive reviews. I honestly dunno.

Ahh. Yeah the Doritos thing doesn't at all seem like an inditement of the gaming press in any way. And Halo 4 reviews being bought is loony tunes. This thread seems pretty dumb.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By gogosox82

I have no idea what halo 4 controversy your talking about. I think there are issues in games journalism but I usually get more embarrassed by the gaming community, not by game journos.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By EXTomar

"Why can't everyone just say what makes ME happy?!"

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By pyrodactyl

@MildMolasses said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

What exactly was the games press supposed to do about the ending? Its OK not to like it. Books, Movies, TV shows and games have bad endings all the time. Its not the games press' job to engage the audience or the developers on something so subjective. Its up to the each individual consumer to decide what to do with that. If they want to write a review, comment on a message board, or stop buying Bioware's products, those are all totally valid responses. Those are not the people who are "entitled" or crossing the line and not the ones that games press were talking about.

The people who were demanding a new ending, harassing employees and attempting to file lawsuits are crossing the line, and is a whole lot of entitlement. Those are non-subjective reactions and worth covering. They are not in the same camp as the people who didn't like ending for whatever reason and could discuss it rationally. If you felt that journalists were attacking you, then you clearly were not mentally separating yourself from that group which you should have been and should be angry at the "entitled" for derailing any reasoned conversation.

I would expect game jounalists to have enough experience with the internet (some have been there for more than 10 years) to filter out the imbeciles and the 13 year olds when responding to the community. People writing complaints to the FCC or starting a public witch hunt don't deserve any attention from the press. Unfortunatly, they always get all the attention while the intelligent and reasoned people just get ignored.

The gaming press just ignores one of the most basic laws of the internet: each time someone has a legitimate issue or complaint and expresses it on the internet, 3 other people will scream like childrens over the same issue.

Please just ignore the screaming childrens...

As for the ME3 ending debate, without jumpstarting it again, let me just state the reasoned argument: the original ending was just bad. Plot holes everywhere, no thematic consistency with the series, it was shit. Now, the gaming press (GB in particular) agreed with that statement but only 6 months later and not while there was an active discussion on the topic. While the debate was still ungoing, they lumped all the people that were discussing the ending into the same ''anoying children'' bucket. That attitude was extremely dissapointing at the time.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RE_Player1

We'll be too busy with new hardware for the press to be lazy and start bitter rivalries or misguided content.