How long is your average gaming session?

• 67 results
JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By JBird

Poll How long is your average gaming session? (332 votes)

< 1 Hour 7%
1 - 2 Hours 41%
2- 3 Hours 27%
3 - 4 Hours 14%
4 - 5 Hours 5%
5 - 6 Hours 2%
6< Hours 3%

After hearing Brad talk about how long he can play DOTA for, It got me wondering how long the users of GB tend to play a game for at a time. I figured it might be interesting to see! Please put down the average length of a single gaming session. If, like myself, you tend to play for a shorter time,do something else and then go back and play more just put how long an individual session would be before you decide you want to do something else.

• 
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

It varies wildly depending on the game, but for the majority of games I probably can't play more than 90 minutes or so before I feel like putting it down for a while.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It depends on the game, but I'd say 2-3 hours on average.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Usually no longer than an hour and a half, if that much. I once played Tales of Vesperia 12 hours three days in a row, but that was after 6 months of not gaming.

SketchAEtch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SketchAEtch

I'd also say it depends on the game. I love playing games on the hardest difficulty, but sometimes that takes a toll on me; especially after 'one of those days.'

MMOs or MOBAs give me that 'one more quest' or 'one more game' mentality like Brad talks about on DotA 2. I'll find myself looking at the clock and going asking myself where the hell the last five hours went.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dropabombonit

Usually 2-3 hours but I guess it depends on the type of game I'm playing. If it a very story driven game like Bioshock or Tomb Raider I will play it for a couple of hours and then take a break. But I can play RPGs like Skyrim for several hours in one sitting

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

Generally, an hour or two and then I take a break.

Per day, though, it's probably more like 4-6 on days when I don't work or go to school.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Varies tremendously, if I want to become dominant at whichever multiplayer genre or am on the cusp of a platinum trophy it could be 5-6 hours (Resident Evil 6 some of the time); if I'm experimenting with something it's probably 2-4 hours (Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX, Resident Evil 6 most of the time), if I'm just messing around for a few it's 30 minutes to 2 hours or so (Tomb Raider multiplayer); lately I'm alternating baseball/NBA playoffs and games with games taking up slightly less time. MMOs are another thing entirely but I've kind of done everything you could possibly do that would be satisfying in MMOs and they're dying at least until Titan so there's not really any point going back to that. I might well play Dark Souls 2 for 8 hours a day for 3 weeks however, but it's a rare game that's that compelling alongside having a ton of replay-ability aspects (plus I'd be mostly doing it for benefit of writing a comprehensive review).

Amducious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On weekends usually a couple of hours for games I enjoy. For games that had a massive impact like Elite on the C64 or Skyrim on this machine, anything up to 6 hours.

Weekdays, not so much, usually knackered when I get home. Maybe an hour or 2 if I'm up to it.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Typically an hour and a half, I'd say. Sometimes I can lose a few hours without meaning to, particularly in RPGs where it's easy to flow from one quest to the next.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Clonedzero

I dont have an average. I can play anywhere from a single multiplayer match of a shooter or a single fight in a fighting game and thats enough, or i can play all day long, or anywhere in between. Depends on the game and more importantly my mood.

If im in a good mood and have nothing to do, like no plans, yeah i'll play for long periods of time. If im cranky or depressed or angry, i dont enjoy games as much so i wont play as much.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ajamafalous

It varies wildly. Some random indie games I can only play for 15-45 minutes before I have to stop, but I can chain Dota games together like nobody's business.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

I'd say somewhere around 1-3 hours. I usually don't do much more without a long break.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

It honestly completely depends on the game. I suppose usually an hourish, often less. Although, sometimes I find myself playing something for hours and hours on end.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If I'm not dead tired after work and a meal, then I can usually play for 5-6hrs. Tho, that depends on the game. I play MH3U and that's 6hrs easy. Other games I'll play for an hour or 2 and take a break and eat then either nap or read stuff or watch movies.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the moment, with no really meaty new releases, I play for about 4 hours with short breaks. October through January it's closer to 8 hours, a lot of all-night sessions mostly, perhaps longer on the weekend if the opportunity arises.

I find it quite easy to carve out that amount of play-time because I don't lose much time to sleeping. I try to keep two or three days a week free of any sort of gaming, I find this to be a more balanced arrangement than playing for a couple of hours every day.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

During semesters, I can't play for long. So I'd average it around 1-2 hours. During winter or summer break however, it jumps up to around 3-4 hours.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I would say most of my sessions are between 45-90 minutes, but when you average in those occasional long sessions it balances out to between 1-2 hours. Every once and while I'll pull a long run. I remember playing Skyrim and finishing up Assassin's Creed Brotherhood with a few six-hour, eye-bleeding sessions.

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can usually spend about an hour playing a game before I feel the need to get up and do something else. That changes when I get my hands on any RPG or strategy game that I really enjoy. The Elder Scrolls games get me every time. When each those games where released I could burn 4-6 hours, no problem. Same can be said for the Civ series and most Paradox strategy games, like Europa Universalis.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EternalVigil

For me it used to be on the higher end where if I was really into a game I could play it for 4-6 hours without stopping. Nowadays I have less time to play games, so I usually only play for about 2 hours.

DR34DN0UGHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DR34DN0UGHT

I'd say 2-3 hours.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the game. If I have nothing to do and its a game I'm really into, probably 3-4 hours before I go do something else for a bit. If it's a game like Civ, I could probably go all day depending on whatever else is going on that day.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Unless I'm really dedicating a weekend to get through a game, i usually play a game 1 to 2 hours at a time.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Depends on the game. But I'll play for a little over an hour every day or so. Though i've been known to finish games in one sitting before, if I enjoy it that much.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It varies a lot between games, but on average I would say about 45 minutes.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I can't keep any concentration for long and have to pause all the time and do something else. I'd say my average gaming session is 30-45 minutes.

My average Civ V gaming session is 10 hours. Go figure why this one game/franchise is different.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It used to be pretty high, but it's down to an hour or two now.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lately it has been less than an hour.

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JBird

Its kind of surprising, I had expected a lot of really long sessions, and while we can all drop some time here and there...the majority of us seem to be happy with 1, 2 hours sessions! When I was younger it was also about not being able to afford loads of games, for the GB staff the quicker a game can be finished and enjoyed the better for their job. But as a teenager I didn't really want to finish that game I'd waited 6 months for in 2 days!

DxBecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By DxBecks

It depends on the genre of game, and the game itself. I can play multiplayer for hours on end, but I normally play campaign's for about two hours at a time unless the story or campaign is incredibly engaging and well paced.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

A couple hours for most games. For SC2, anywhere from a half hour to 5 hours, depending on how I am playing.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hunter5024

I don't really like switching to something else once I've started something. Unless I'm just trying to get a quick hour in before work, I'd say almost all of my sessions are at least 3-4 hours. Even then I usually only stop for an hour or two to get some food, play with my dog, and maybe go for a walk before I go back to it. This applies to almost everything I do.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Long enough. The 360's never complained.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually only an hour or two and I frequently take breaks. Don't half enough solid chunks of free time for much more. Most recent exception though is I did the back half of Bioshock Infinite in a five hour marathon session that I barely realized how much time had passed.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually only an hour or two and I frequently take breaks. Don't half enough solid chunks of free time for much more. Most recent exception though is I did the back half of Bioshock Infinite in a five hour marathon session that I barely realized how much time had passed.

Avatar image for jonathanashleymoore
JonathanAshleyMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Less than an hour on average, I generally play my 3DS more than anything, though.

MeganeAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play for 2-3 hours usually, but there are some days where the duration of gaming sessions last much shorter.

AndreTheGiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4-5 Hours usually much more on the weekends

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#38 fisk0  Moderator

I know some of you don't like it when you necro threads, but that's what the internet is all about, and it'd be dumb to create a new thread with the exact same question and even phrasing as here.

I just realized that nearly every session I've got listed on Raptr is 20-45 minutes, lots of sessions in the past few weeks stop almost exactly at 30 minutes. So I guess that's very much how long my average gaming sessions are these days. Crazy to think I used to play for 6-8 hours in a row about 10 years ago.

Now, I do of course play multiple (20-45 minute) sessions in a single day at times, and on rare occasions I have played for several hours in a row, I did finish the Battlefield 4 campaign over the course of one weekend (and I think that was at least 4-5 hours), but that's pretty rare these days.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@fisk0: *shakes fist*

But seriously, typically an hour or two. The 6+ hour long marathons are less frequent these days, but it still happens.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe an hour, hour and a half if I'm playing by myself.

Being online with people can stretch that out pretty significantly if I'm fortunate enough to have the time. Usually super late at night.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By Vonocourt

Around an hour before I take a break.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on how much I like the game and how much free time I have. If I'm really into a game I can play it almost all day.

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I just pick a game from my shelve that I've already completed before and I just want to replay, I'll probably just play for 2-3 hours. Sometimes 1. That's my average. When it's a game I've just gotten into and I'm getting really invested. I'll sometimes go 4-5 or maybe 6 hours on the console. Call me whatever you want - I was once gaming on my PS3 for about 9 hours on my Arkham Origins play through. I did however take breaks, eat meals and chat with family.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It varies by game. Usually, I go an hour and then take a break to go workout or get some school work done. The last time I felt like I couldn't put the game down and kept playing for hours on end was Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. A LInk Between Worlds was like that as well, but when work became more frequent I put it down and now I can't remember what I was doing last.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually around 1-2 hours, though today I spent about 5 hours playing Skyrim to finish up some quests I still had open.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Typically I'll play for about 2 or 3 hours, but if I've got time and the game really has its hooks in me I can play all day (like 7 or 8 hours in one sitting).

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the game.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

2-3 hours usually. Depends on the game though.

Avatar image for ricky_alvarez_794628
ricky_alvarez_794628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I limit myself to 1 hour at a time (I literally time it)--for health reasons. At least once every hour I take the time to rest my eyes and do some stretches.

I do raid in WoW, though, where I can be playing for up to 4 hours a time (with breaks between).