How many console games do you buy new each year?

• 66 results
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#51  Edited By Justin258

@Contrarian said:

@Mistzero said:

@Contrarian: My God that is a lot.

Yes. Yes it is. I have consistently bought about 130 games a year over the last 5 years and at leat 80% of those are new. It didn't seem that long ago my bookcase cracked a thousand games and now it easily exceeds 1200.

Do you finish all or even half of those games?

Anyway, I answered 4 to 6 brand new, just-released, sealed games. However, the number of games I've bought over the past few years, including older and used games, averages closer to 15, with last year being a much higher number considering that I had a great (in both pay and hours) summer job and all. And also considering that I bought the Valve Complete Pack last year, rounding out my yearly average and then some in one go.

This year, I've bought Mass Effect 3 at launch, Battlefield 3, Red Dead Redemption, Chrono Trigger DS, New Super Mario Bros. DS, and Saints Row The Third. I don't really feel the need to buy anything else for most of the rest of the year, with the exception of Dishonored.

Nals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Nals

It's interesting seeing some of these numbers.

Just "owning" 10 new games on a ( new ) console would put the system at a pricepoint around a solid PC in terms of money spent. After 20, you'll have spent quite a bit more then needed to build a really powerful PC, and and honestly after 40 you could own every game ever made and be running on a system made by god that would never need a replacement for the next 5 years off the money you've spent on your console. This is with counting in buying games on the PC as well as buying and upgrading it.

I've always assumed that console gamers tend to rent over buy, and only buy the big main 3-4 each year, but according to this thread, console gamers spend several thousand more per year on their hobby then PC gamers need to.

Guess PC isn't as expensive as I thought.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Contrarian

@believer258 said:

@Contrarian said:

@Mistzero said:

Yes. Yes it is. I have consistently bought about 130 games a year over the last 5 years and at leat 80% of those are new. It didn't seem that long ago my bookcase cracked a thousand games and now it easily exceeds 1200.

@Hizang said:

Way more than I can physically play!

Pretty much this. I normally give them all a try, but go quickly back to what I am playing. Quite a few games I have spents easily 100 hours on and some up to over 1000 hours. I am a chronic non-finisher. I believe I could count on all my hands and feet, and one more if necessary, all the games I have finished right up to the credits.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By Justin258

@Nals said:

It's interesting seeing some of these numbers.

Just "owning" 10 new games on a ( new ) console would put the system at a pricepoint around a solid PC in terms of money spent. After 20, you'll have spent quite a bit more then needed to build a really powerful PC, and and honestly after 40 you could own every game ever made and be running on a system made by god that would never need a replacement for the next 5 years off the money you've spent on your console. This is with counting in buying games on the PC as well as buying and upgrading it.

I've always assumed that console gamers tend to rent over buy, and only buy the big main 3-4 each year, but according to this thread, console gamers spend several thousand more per year on their hobby then PC gamers need to.

Guess PC isn't as expensive as I thought.

The initial expense is higher but most of the ones afterwards are lesser, plus you have to upgrade more often if you want to keep playing at the highest settings and messing with all the bells and whistles. But not like every year more often, more like every 3 or 4 and that's a little too much if you've built a pretty good PC in the first place.

For the record, I haven't because every time I get around to overcoming that initial expense, something comes up.

@Contrarian said:

@believer258 said:

@Contrarian said:

@Mistzero said:

@Hizang said:

Way more than I can physically play!

Pretty much this. I normally give them all a try, but go quickly back to what I am playing. Quite a few games I have spents easily 100 hours on and some up to over 1000 hours. I am a chronic non-finisher. I believe I could count on all my hands and feet, and one more if necessary, all the games I have finished right up to the credits.

Damn. I like finishing my games so I'd go nuts, but then if I had the disposable income to buy 130 games a year I'd have to get over it.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#55  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Like three? There aren't a lot of games that excite me nowadays.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#56  Edited By Phatmac

I use game fly for most of my games, but if a big game or a game i really care about comes out i usually try to buy it soon. Probably play about 20-40 games a year. This isn't counting downloadalbe or pc games.

guttridgeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By guttridgeb

Wow, I am jealous of some of you guys, I can only afford 2 or 3 newly released games a year and there are so many I miss out on :(

TehJedicake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By TehJedicake

I'm a PC elitist, but even I buy a few games on the console. Those games would be non PC games like NCAA and Madden.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I usually buy two games a month. So two a month times twelve is twenty four. This can fluctuate depending on how busy or lean a release window is, though. But twenty four feels about right.

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By superpow

All the games I want! Which translates to 4-6 full priced new games. If you accounted for all the bargain games and used games I get I might be nearer to

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By NTM

If I had money, I'd pick E. Once I get a job, one of the first thing I'm going to do is go to store and buy a bunch of games that I haven't yet played.

InfiniteSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 33

#62  Edited By InfiniteSpark

Way too much, both retail and the games released on XBL and PSN.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#63  Edited By willin

About 6-8 over the whole year...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#64  Edited By musubi

I'd say I buy about 20 or so new titles. I'll be pretty much hitting that again give or take a few I'd like to cut down but fuck if I dont get bored quickly with most games.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#65  Edited By musubi
@sickVisionz Limited edition was on sale on amazon a few weeks back for $30
Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Contrarian

@superpow said:

All the games I want! Which translates to 4-6 full priced new games. If you accounted for all the bargain games and used games I get I might be nearer to

The number of games I get at near full price within a few weeks would be very low indeed. I usually only get certain Nintendo titles that don't drop much in price, like Mario Kart or Super Smash Bros, plus JRPG I figure is limited in supply and unlikely to drop in price (not Final Fantasy), like Xenoblades.