• 81 results
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

Edited By Icemael

A while ago, I picked up a used copy Silent Hill 2. I knew a lot of people consider it the best horror title ever made, and I'd been wanting a new survival horror game for a while. I got home, put it on the shelf and... just kind of forgot about it, I guess. It's been sitting there for a good two months. 

Tonight, I decided to fire it up. I also decided to chronicle my experience with it in a series of blogs. This is the first of those blogs. There will be spoilers, of course, so if you haven't played the game and don't want it ruined for you, you should probably stop reading now. Again, THERE WILL BE SPOILERS

The game starts out with the main character, James, standing in a public bathroom, looking at himself in a mirror. I walk out of the bathroom, and a cutscene explains the basic gist of the game's story for me: James' wife died some time ago. He's received a letter with her handwriting, saying she's in the town of Silent Hill. James, of course, assumes that the letter was actually written by his dead wife, and isn't just a cruel prank/trap by someone who's copied her handwriting. He's now driven to the outskirts of Silent Hill, where a roadblock forces him to walk the rest of the way.

I grab a map lying in the car, and start walking down a foggy path. It's really, really long. I eventually reach a graveyard, where a woman advises me not to go to the town, because there's something "wrong" and potentially dangerous about it. James promptly tells her that he doesn't care if it's dangerous, asks her for directions (even though he got a map from his car like two minutes ago, and there's only one path), and leaves without even asking what exactly is wrong with the town. What if it was full of lethal gas or had become a testing ground for military weapons or something? Dying would make it kind of hard to look for your wife, you know.

Anyway, I walk down another absurdly long path, only to find a door leading to another absurdly long path. (Seriously, what is up with the paths in this game? Why are they so damn long? Is it some atmosphere thing? Because if it is, I don't think it's working.) After about five hours I reach the town, where I see some creature running away. I follow its trail of blood, find an enemy-detecting radio, grab a stick with a nail at the end and beat the monster to death. As I walk back through the town streets, I see several more monsters. At this point, I do what any normal person would do: I try to get the hell out of the town. I run all the way back to the door dividing the last long path from the first two, and James says something along the lines of "I have no reason to go back, I have to find my wife". Listen, James. I know you're not the brightest dude in the world. But seriously, discovering that a town is full of creepy monsters that are out to kill you is a pretty damn good reason to leave. You can always come back and look for your wife when you've, you know, gotten the police or the army, or at least bought some weapons.

Being a fictional character without any will of his own, James won't have a bar of it. So back to town it is. I explore a little; most paths are either temporarily or permanently inaccessible, but I manage to find a key and two maps. With the help of these, I get into an apartment building. I walk around a bit. Kill some monsters, find some keys; you know, standard survival horror stuff. There's this one part that's pretty dumb, where James tries to get a key by sticking his arm through a grate. Just as he's about to reach it, an annoying little girl appear and kick the key away. The ridiculous thing is, he could easily have reached the key before the girl even got there by using the stick he'd been carrying around since he encountered the first monster. I suppose it's unfair for me to expect the amount of brain activity required to realize that from someone who isn't the least bit alarmed by the fact that he's in a town filled with gross, violent, humanoid monsters, but still. Come on. Either way, I find a dead body that kind of looks like James, solve a fairly simple clock puzzle, run into Pyramid Head twice (once when he's just standing around, and once when he's having sex with a mannequin), and then, in an apartment with a dead guy lying in the kitchen, I encounter a dude puking his guts out (not literally; I usually wouldn't have to explain that, but this is a survival horror game, after all). And this right here is probably the most bizarre part of the game so far. The two have a conversation that basically amounts to:

"Hey." 
"Hey." 
"I'm James Sunderland." 
"I'm Eddie." 
"So... who's that dead guy in the kitchen?"
"Don't know. I didn't kill him!" 
"Are you friends with the the pyramid helmet dude?" 
"Don't know what you're talking about. I saw some monsters, though." 
"So, uh, what's up with this town?" 
"I don't know. I'm not even from here." 
"Uh... you should probably get out of here soon." 
"Yeah. What about you?" 
"I'll leave when I'm done. Be careful." 
"Yeah, you too." 
"See ya."
"See ya." 

No "Dude, what the fuck is going on with this place? There are monsters trying to kill me and a creepy guy who has sex with mannequins -- it's seriously messed up." No "You probably won't make it on your own. You should stick with me; I've got a stick with a nail on it, and I found a handgun not too long ago." No sensible conversation at all. They just exchange names, establish that neither of them knows what the hell is going on, and part -- that's it. Even cheesy horror movies don't have scenarios this absurd, and when they do, the sure as hell don't get away with it. At this point, I saved the game and stopped playing.      

An hour and a half in. My first impression? Not good. So far, the game has been mind-numbingly boring (it's basically been fetch quest after fetch quest, with the occasional button mashing combat segment), shockingly stupid (the story makes no sense -- mostly thanks to James & Co., who are about as believable as the average set of Uwe Boll characters), and worst of all, not scary in the least (the way I can tell I'm playing a creepy game is that I'm too anxious to use the run function outside combat; in this, I run everywhere). It's still too early to pass any sort of proper judge on the game, and I am open to the possibility that the rest of it is amazing, but... let's just say that I'm not exactly looking forward to playing more.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Icemael

A while ago, I picked up a used copy Silent Hill 2. I knew a lot of people consider it the best horror title ever made, and I'd been wanting a new survival horror game for a while. I got home, put it on the shelf and... just kind of forgot about it, I guess. It's been sitting there for a good two months. 

Tonight, I decided to fire it up. I also decided to chronicle my experience with it in a series of blogs. This is the first of those blogs. There will be spoilers, of course, so if you haven't played the game and don't want it ruined for you, you should probably stop reading now. Again, THERE WILL BE SPOILERS

The game starts out with the main character, James, standing in a public bathroom, looking at himself in a mirror. I walk out of the bathroom, and a cutscene explains the basic gist of the game's story for me: James' wife died some time ago. He's received a letter with her handwriting, saying she's in the town of Silent Hill. James, of course, assumes that the letter was actually written by his dead wife, and isn't just a cruel prank/trap by someone who's copied her handwriting. He's now driven to the outskirts of Silent Hill, where a roadblock forces him to walk the rest of the way.

I grab a map lying in the car, and start walking down a foggy path. It's really, really long. I eventually reach a graveyard, where a woman advises me not to go to the town, because there's something "wrong" and potentially dangerous about it. James promptly tells her that he doesn't care if it's dangerous, asks her for directions (even though he got a map from his car like two minutes ago, and there's only one path), and leaves without even asking what exactly is wrong with the town. What if it was full of lethal gas or had become a testing ground for military weapons or something? Dying would make it kind of hard to look for your wife, you know.

Anyway, I walk down another absurdly long path, only to find a door leading to another absurdly long path. (Seriously, what is up with the paths in this game? Why are they so damn long? Is it some atmosphere thing? Because if it is, I don't think it's working.) After about five hours I reach the town, where I see some creature running away. I follow its trail of blood, find an enemy-detecting radio, grab a stick with a nail at the end and beat the monster to death. As I walk back through the town streets, I see several more monsters. At this point, I do what any normal person would do: I try to get the hell out of the town. I run all the way back to the door dividing the last long path from the first two, and James says something along the lines of "I have no reason to go back, I have to find my wife". Listen, James. I know you're not the brightest dude in the world. But seriously, discovering that a town is full of creepy monsters that are out to kill you is a pretty damn good reason to leave. You can always come back and look for your wife when you've, you know, gotten the police or the army, or at least bought some weapons.

Being a fictional character without any will of his own, James won't have a bar of it. So back to town it is. I explore a little; most paths are either temporarily or permanently inaccessible, but I manage to find a key and two maps. With the help of these, I get into an apartment building. I walk around a bit. Kill some monsters, find some keys; you know, standard survival horror stuff. There's this one part that's pretty dumb, where James tries to get a key by sticking his arm through a grate. Just as he's about to reach it, an annoying little girl appear and kick the key away. The ridiculous thing is, he could easily have reached the key before the girl even got there by using the stick he'd been carrying around since he encountered the first monster. I suppose it's unfair for me to expect the amount of brain activity required to realize that from someone who isn't the least bit alarmed by the fact that he's in a town filled with gross, violent, humanoid monsters, but still. Come on. Either way, I find a dead body that kind of looks like James, solve a fairly simple clock puzzle, run into Pyramid Head twice (once when he's just standing around, and once when he's having sex with a mannequin), and then, in an apartment with a dead guy lying in the kitchen, I encounter a dude puking his guts out (not literally; I usually wouldn't have to explain that, but this is a survival horror game, after all). And this right here is probably the most bizarre part of the game so far. The two have a conversation that basically amounts to:

"Hey." 
"Hey." 
"I'm James Sunderland." 
"I'm Eddie." 
"So... who's that dead guy in the kitchen?"
"Don't know. I didn't kill him!" 
"Are you friends with the the pyramid helmet dude?" 
"Don't know what you're talking about. I saw some monsters, though." 
"So, uh, what's up with this town?" 
"I don't know. I'm not even from here." 
"Uh... you should probably get out of here soon." 
"Yeah. What about you?" 
"I'll leave when I'm done. Be careful." 
"Yeah, you too." 
"See ya."
"See ya." 

No "Dude, what the fuck is going on with this place? There are monsters trying to kill me and a creepy guy who has sex with mannequins -- it's seriously messed up." No "You probably won't make it on your own. You should stick with me; I've got a stick with a nail on it, and I found a handgun not too long ago." No sensible conversation at all. They just exchange names, establish that neither of them knows what the hell is going on, and part -- that's it. Even cheesy horror movies don't have scenarios this absurd, and when they do, the sure as hell don't get away with it. At this point, I saved the game and stopped playing.      

An hour and a half in. My first impression? Not good. So far, the game has been mind-numbingly boring (it's basically been fetch quest after fetch quest, with the occasional button mashing combat segment), shockingly stupid (the story makes no sense -- mostly thanks to James & Co., who are about as believable as the average set of Uwe Boll characters), and worst of all, not scary in the least (the way I can tell I'm playing a creepy game is that I'm too anxious to use the run function outside combat; in this, I run everywhere). It's still too early to pass any sort of proper judge on the game, and I am open to the possibility that the rest of it is amazing, but... let's just say that I'm not exactly looking forward to playing more.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Trust me, this game is a whole lot of nothing. You'll spend a lot of time running around, just looking for shit to do. I'd say it gets scarier when bodies jump out from beyond the bumpers on the road, but it doesn't. Full blog here.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

I can agree with you in everything. But, as my experience evolved, i become more and more in touch with the crazy nonsensical story, and despite not being a truelly frightning game - especially to anyone who has survived Dead Space - the ending surprised me, and made me emotional. That alone surpassed all the other games i've played, apart from Lost Odyssey, Silent Hill 4, Darkness and Final Fantasy X. That's why i love it. 

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

The idea of the story is the best part of that game. Not even the story -- rather, the idea of the story. The idea that this guy is psychologically twisted. The game, in its entirety, isn't executed amazingly. Also, the soundtrack is excellent.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Play Penumbra, tis awesome.

Also the main characters in Silent Hill games tend to suck, it's the town that is the real protagonist/antagonist.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Icemael
@Video_Game_King said:

" Trust me, this game is a whole lot of nothing. You'll spend a lot of time running around, just looking for shit to do. I'd say it gets scarier when bodies jump out from beyond the bumpers on the road, but it doesn't. Full blog here. "

Most survival horror games are a whole lot of nothing. And that's totally fine, as long as they're scary! In Project Zero II: Crimson Butterfly, all you do is walk through a bunch of houses and take pictures of stuff; it's still the best damn horror game I've ever played, because while walking through those houses and taking pictures of stuff, I was scared shitless. In Silent Hill 2, I'm not scared shitless (maybe it gets scarier later, but what little I've played hasn't even been mildly unnerving).

@Jeust said:

" I can agree with you in everything. But, as my experience evolved, i become more and more in touch with the crazy nonsensical story, and despite not being a truelly frightning game - especially to anyone who has survived Dead Space - the ending surprised me, and made me emotional. That alone surpassed all the other games i've played, apart from Lost Odyssey, Silent Hill 4, Darkness and Final Fantasy X. That's why i love it.  "

I'll make sure to play it to the end, then.

@ZanzibarBreeze said:

" The idea of the story is the best part of that game. Not even the story -- rather, the idea of the story. The idea that this guy is psychologically twisted. The game, in its entirety, isn't executed amazingly. Also, the soundtrack is excellent. "

Dude, is that a spoiler?

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

" Play Penumbra, tis awesome.  Also the main characters in Silent Hill games tend to suck, it's the town that is the real antagonist. "

My PC is really weak... I don't think it could run that.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Icemael: 

Wait, really? The last one I played was RE3, and a lot of shit was happening in that game. Granted, it wasn't original, but at least it was there.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Anyone who doesn't realize the genius behind this game obviously understands nothing about metaphors, imigary stroytelling, and revealing the end to you before you get there through unnoticable hints.  

Honetly, whoever doesn't like this game is a moron. There is no arguement, that isn't opinion, if you don't understand why this is one of the greatest games ever made you're downright retarded and probably play too much Halo. 

Giving you the benefiet of the doubt, you haven't gotten far enough to appreciate what the game does yet, however if you keep wanting to hate it then you probably will in the end, which would be very unfortunate for you. 

You don't understand, and explaining it to you would ruin it for you.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Silent Hill 2 is often considered the best game in the Silent Hill series- I'll definitely say that the story alone makes it worth a play, but if you want my opinion (you don't~!) Silent Hill 3 outclasses it in pretty much every way.  The only issue is that the main character in Silent Hill 3 is such a badass that it's really hard to be afraid of anything when you can just take a pipe to faces/gaping fleshy spots where faces are supposed to be.

Edit: And yeah, SH2 has lots of time spans where very little happens, it's nowhere near as scary as people make it out to be, Pyramid Head was only scary before you encountered him for real and realized that he moves only slightly faster than a beached, dying Sea Lion.  But still, worth it to see the story through to the end. What wasn't worth it was that goddamned rowboat sequence that I spent an hour going in circles in because it's hard as hell to tell if you're actually making any progress.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oraknabo

I agree that Fatal Frame 2 is the real best horror game ever. It's just that a lot more people have played Silent Hill 2.  
I never played the PS3 version, but I also liked Siren better than Silent Hill 2, but I understand why many people had problems with it.

I thought, even though it's not so scary and has its flaws, the newest Silent Hill actually worked much better as a story than most of the rest of them. 

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Icemael
@xaLieNxGrEyx said:
" Anyone who doesn't realize the genius behind this game obviously understands nothing about metaphors, imigary stroytelling, and revealing the end to you before you get there through unnoticable hints.   Honetly, whoever doesn't like this game is a moron. There is no arguement, that isn't opinion, if you don't understand why this is on of the greatest games ever made you're downright retarded and probably play too much Halo. "
I understand shockingly terrible characters, boring, tedious tasks and lack of effective horror. And if hints are "unnoticeable", they aren't very good hints.

Oh, and that stick up your ass? You might want to see a doctor about it. 

@Video_Game_King: I haven't played Resident Evil 3, but I find that survival horror game usually don't have a lot going on in the game department. You just walk around, find some keys, and occasionally button mash/run away a little.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Icemael: 

Well, I think you just destroyed an entire genre for me. Mind killing off adventure games for me :P?
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

" Anyone who doesn't realize the genius behind this game obviously understands nothing about metaphors, imigary stroytelling, and revealing the end to you before you get there through unnoticable hints.   Honetly, whoever doesn't like this game is a moron. There is no arguement, that isn't opinion, if you don't understand why this is on of the greatest games ever made you're downright retarded and probably play too much Halo. "

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By obcdexter

Dude, you're playing it NOW for the first time?
You're doing it wrong from the get-go ...

Amazing game in every department when it came out, still is for anyone who played and loved it back then, but for newcomers?
Well, certainly not working judging by your (horrible) report.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jeust

I don't think Silent Hill 2 works as much in scares as it does in horror. 

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Jeust said:
" I don't think Silent Hill 2 works as much in scares as it does in horror.  "
The difference being...?
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Icemael
@Video_Game_King: Survival horror games are basically horror-themed adventure games with some light combat thrown in, so... :P 

@obcdexter: The game holds up really well in terms of both graphics and controls, so I don't think time has anything to do with it.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Icemael said:
@ZanzibarBreeze said:

" The idea of the story is the best part of that game. Not even the story -- rather, the idea of the story. The idea that this guy is psychologically twisted. The game, in its entirety, isn't executed amazingly. Also, the soundtrack is excellent. "

Dude, is that a spoiler?
I wouldn't think so, considering that every single Silent Hill character ever (in each game) is effed up in their own way.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Icemael
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @Icemael said:
@ZanzibarBreeze said:

Dude, is that a spoiler?
I wouldn't think so, considering that every single Silent Hill character ever (in each game) is effed up in their own way. "
Ok. I was afraid it was some kind of huge twist at the end where it's revealed that ZOMG NONE OF IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED, IT WAS ALL IN HIS MIND.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Icemael said:
Ok. I was afraid it was some kind of huge twist at the end where it's revealed that ZOMG NONE OF IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED, IT WAS ALL IN HIS MIND.
No, don't worry. I'm not that insensitive! Silent Hill is stupid at times, but not even Silent Hill is that stupid.
Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

enjoy it!

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@Icemael:
Omg.... this is for your own good..... 

James is the only one in the town, everything else he sees is from his mind. There, you made me do it. Now finish the game and stop bitching about it. 

You honestly sound like a whinny 10 year old who is being forced to play this game and just doesn't have the metality to process it. However, like Zanzibar said, it isn't so much the game, but the idea of the story which drives this into a classic status. Add in all the imagary, the metaphors, from the shape of enemies, to the personalities of "people" he sees in the town, and you have one hell of a story. One of the best in gaming, I don't have a stick in my ass, it is just undisputed fact that Silent Hill 2 is genius in its own way, and if you can't see that, I feel very sorry for you and your future children 

(And before people argue that yes the other people are real, they aren't. They\re created by the town in different forms of James' personality. The girl with the knife represents sexual frustration, eddie represents a sick twisted side, and the little girl represents a future he wished he could have And if anyone asks what Maria represents I also feel sorry for the brain wasting away in your skull.)
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jeust
@Video_Game_King said:

" @Jeust said:

" I don't think Silent Hill 2 works as much in scares as it does in horror.  "

The difference being...? "
i don't think the game, or the Silent Hill franchise, is focused in scaring as much as it is in making you uncomfortable, uneasy and disgusted. it is an experience of the senses.   

In that department i haven't found a game as capable as SH2.
Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Silent Hill 2 is definitely the least freaky of the original three (the good ones). But I still thought it was plenty freaky. If you want terror, pop Silent Hill 3 in. One of the scariest things I've ever experienced.

Also, all the dialogue is short and choppy on purpose. Trust me, this is a game you really have to experience all the way through, even if the beginning is slightly boring (I thought to the premise was enough to hook me for the boring part. And besides, things are about to heat up). SH2 is the complete antithesis of MGS. It shows; MGS tells. All the cutscenes will seem underwhelming, despite the topic being discussed, but this adds to the mood and atmosphere. You need to play through it, beat it, and then think of what it all meant. Your mind will be blown. Promise. As soon as the twist hits, everything, including the pacing, will be justified.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Icemael
@xaLieNxGrEyx: Thanks for spoiling it. If I had experienced that twist in the actual game, I might have liked it, but now it was about as exciting and mind-blowing as as finding an exceptionally large flake in your box of Corn Flakes. 

Fuck you. 

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:
"You honestly sound like a whinny 10 year old who is being forced to play this game and just doesn't have the metality to process it. However, like Zanzibar said, it isn't so much the game, but the idea of the story which drives this into a classic status. Add in all the imagary, the metaphors, from the shape of enemies, to the personalities of "people" he sees in the town, and you have one hell of a story. One of the best in gaming, I don't have a stick in my ass, it is just undisputed fact that Silent Hill 2 is genius in its own way, and if you can't see that, I feel very sorry for you and your future children. "
I'm an hour and a half into the game. I clearly said that I'm open to the possibility of the rest being better. But oh no, you had to act like I insulted your mother and spoil the (or at least one) big twist. Then you call me a "whinny 10 year old".

Again: fuck you.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Jeust: 

Then it's not a survival horror game, or even a unique game. Games like Tetrisphere and Custer's Revenge have made me feel all three (physically with the former, morally with the latter), but they're hardly masterpieces of game design.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jeust
@Icemael said:
" @xaLieNxGrEyx: Thanks for spoiling it. If I had experienced that twist in the actual game, I might have liked it, but now it was about as exciting and mind-blowing as as finding an exceptionally large flake in your box of Corn Flakes.  Fuck you. "
he didn't spoil you, at all, as that is but a small part of the story, that goes unnoticed, at least with me, in the first playthrough. Not that i didn't thought it, but it has nothing to do with the story.  
xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@Icemael:
Listen to Jeust, I'm not spoiling much at all, I'm sorry for being so aggresive, I'm just really sensitive about this game. You need to go play, and finish it. You need to beat it two or three times. You need to find all the hidden imagary and story telling without words hidden in the game. I ruined nothing, you'll understand soon, and maybe even thank me for what I've told you. 

EVERYTHING SH2 DOES IS INTENTIONAL. Bitching about it having bad dialouge is futile, it is meant to be like that. EVERYTHING IN THE GAME IS THERE FOR A REASON, down to which rooms have televisions and which ones have bloody walls. I'm sorry once again, it just hard seeing someone miss this, when they are obviously smart enough to get it if they just played the game, and not come onto a gaming site to blog about it.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Icemael
@Jeust said:
" @Icemael said:
" @xaLieNxGrEyx: Thanks for spoiling it. If I had experienced that twist in the actual game, I might have liked it, but now it was about as exciting and mind-blowing as as finding an exceptionally large flake in your box of Corn Flakes.  Fuck you. "
he didn't spoil you, at all, as that is but a small part of the story, that goes unnoticed, at least with me, in the first playthrough. Not that i didn't thought it, but it has nothing to do with the story.   "
Good to hear. But still, that's the kind of thing you want to find out on your own, not have spoiled for you by some annoying kid on an Internet forum.
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mylifeforAiur

The game gets way better later on, that's when the story starts ramping up.......... though part of it's already been ruined for you. It sucks that your not enjoying it, it's a masterpiece of storytelling, well in my opinion anyway but what do I know ;)  Also Eddie is a real person who is sent to Silent Hill to face his own problems, though it's important to note that everyone see's Silent Hill in a different way.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@Icemael:
I'm not a kid. I'm 20. I played SH2 when I WAS a kid. Didn't understand it. I've played it since then multiple times only to love it more and more each time the credits role.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jeust
@Video_Game_King said:

" @Jeust:   Then it's not a survival horror game, or even a unique game. Games like Tetrisphere and Custer's Revenge have made me feel all three (physically with the former, morally with the latter), but they're hardly masterpieces of game design. "

But they didn't affect you emotionally. They didn't engage your emotions. For me Silent Hill 2 was a game that through the personal story of the characters left me drained and involved emotionally, that made me identify with them, and then in clean blows showed me how broken they were. You can't get that with Tetrisphere or Custer's Revenge. 

For me survival horror is more about the mechanics than about scares: herbs, tank controls, guns, creepy setting. 
Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By Mmmslash

Silent Hill 2 is incredible, you guys clearly wear your asses on your head, like some sort of hat.

Edit: @xaLieNxGrEyx:  You are the single worst human being on the planet. Such a colossal fan of the series would probably think that the emotional roller-coaster ride that the game takes you on is the clear draw of the game, but you start throwing out plot points. What is your issue? Were your parents related before they were married? It's also worth noting that the entire game is open to interpretation, so you stating that Angela and Eddie and Laura are imaginary is a little silly, and way shitty.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@Mmmslash:
Someone with sensiblities =o 

Didn't think they existed in this thread.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Jeust: 

True, I can't get that with those games; I get them, along with a bunch of other things, from other games. It just seems like Silent Hill 2 is inconsequential, doling out little gameplay and story for the promise of depth and symbolism and some type of horror.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jeust
@Icemael said:
" @Jeust said:
" @Icemael said:
he didn't spoil you, at all, as that is but a small part of the story, that goes unnoticed, at least with me, in the first playthrough. Not that i didn't thought it, but it has nothing to do with the story.   "
Good to hear. But still, that's the kind of thing you want to find out on your own, not have spoiled for you by some annoying kid on an Internet forum. "
Don't fret over it, as it is something really unimportant. Forget about what he said, just know that Silent Hill V was a game heavily criticized by fans, not because it wasn't technically proficient, but because it lacked all the hidden meanings and metaphors of the previous games. Silent Hill is an experience. That's the only truth.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jeust
@Video_Game_King said:

" @Jeust: 

True, I can't get that with those games; I get them, along with a bunch of other things, from other games. It just seems like Silent Hill 2 is inconsequential, doling out little gameplay and story for the promise of depth and symbolism and some type of horror. "

Yep, you can say that, but as you can get that from fire emblem 4, me and other people can't as it is so dated, that i, used to more detailed graphics, voice acting and other luxuries, feel almost unable to experience the same as you. Silent Hill 2 is inconsequential, with poor gameplay, but the story despite being ambiguous, had very impressive and touching moments. 
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Jeust: 

That's a bit superficial, isn't it? After all, the graphics still serve their purposes pretty damn well (poor Diadora, longing to reunite with Sigurd based on her fragmented memories, only to be taken back to the castle, never to be with him again), and Silent Hill 2 hasn't aged quite well. It's aged better than other games, but still, James Sunderland is an ugly motherfucker. As for the story, it's barely even there. Symbolism is only good when there's an actual plot; otherwise, we might as well call it an interactive painting. There are moments, but it's easy for them to look good when they're mostly the only thing going on.
Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Xtrememuffinman
@xaLieNxGrEyx said:
" @Icemael: Omg.... this is for your own good.....  James is the only one in the town, everything else he sees is from his mind. There, you made me do it. Now finish the game and stop bitching about it.  You honestly sound like a whinny 10 year old who is being forced to play this game and just doesn't have the metality to process it. However, like Zanzibar said, it isn't so much the game, but the idea of the story which drives this into a classic status. Add in all the imagary, the metaphors, from the shape of enemies, to the personalities of "people" he sees in the town, and you have one hell of a story. One of the best in gaming, I don't have a stick in my ass, it is just undisputed fact that Silent Hill 2 is genius in its own way, and if you can't see that, I feel very sorry for you and your future children    (And before people argue that yes the other people are real, they aren't. They\re created by the town in different forms of James' personality. The girl with the knife represents sexual frustration, eddie represents a sick twisted side, and the little girl represents a future he wished he could have And if anyone asks what Maria represents I also feel sorry for the brain wasting away in your skull.) "

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By xyzygy

If you're playing this game and trying to make sense out of it around every turn, you're not going to like it. The reason why that conversation with Eddie was so weird is because the game is supposed to make you think "Why the hell is he being so casual? Why is he not freaking out at the monsters?"  

And that wasn't a spoiler that Alien Grey posted. There is so much in this game in terms of story, psychological stuff, metaphors and symbolism, that you'll be satisfied with what is coming. 

I don't know, just don't try to analyze everything you see and compare it to how things would work in reality. It seems to me like that's what you're doing. If you do that then you'll ruin it for yourself. The same goes for movies and everything else. There is nothing worse than watching a movie with someone who analyzes and comments on it the whole time saying things like "Oh come on, in real life you wouldn't say that." or "That's not how that would work in real life, this is stupid"  

Just take it in as it goes :)

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jeust
@Video_Game_King said:

" @Jeust:   That's a bit superficial, isn't it? After all, the graphics still serve their purposes pretty damn well (poor Diadora, longing to reunite with Sigurd based on her fragmented memories, only to be taken back to the castle, never to be with him again), and Silent Hill 2 hasn't aged quite well. It's aged better than other games, but still, James Sunderland is an ugly motherfucker. As for the story, it's barely even there. Symbolism is only good when there's an actual plot; otherwise, we might as well call it an interactive painting. There are moments, but it's easy for them to look good when they're mostly the only thing going on. "

You're right, but still it is something i can't prevent. I feel that to convene emotion, the way that it is delivered is important, and while i'd feel touched by that twist, the way through which it is transmitted - by text, with a visual novel style and polyphonic music in the background - takes, in this day and age, much of the expressiveness out of the story.  I don't feel as engaged in that game, as i can feel in more recent games. Although at the time it would have been pretty heartbreaking.

The story is barely even there, but in the stage that is Silent Hill, there is still a classic play going through, and while you learn nothing about the outer aspects of the experience - Silent Hill - you learn a lot about the characters. I felt the problem with Silent Hill started when they tried the nature of the place.
xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@Xtrememuffinman:
Exactly the reason I really didn't spoil much at all. He could complete the game and draw many conclusions.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Jeust: 

Huh? You're complaining about the music? You deserve the following quip:

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jeust
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Jeust: 

Huh? You're complaining about the music? You deserve the following quip:

"
You're excused. :p
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Jeust: 

Also, I'll point out that your statement about text diminishing the emotional value of a work is pretty crap. If that were true...well, a lot of cultures would be pretty fucked.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jeust
@Video_Game_King: I don't mean that text diminishes the emotional value of a work, simply that, in face of different and more fleshed out game experiences, it isn't as engaging. Don't you agree?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Jeust: 

No, not at all. And this isn't fleshed out? Compared to what? It certainly has more...everything...than Silent Hill 2.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jeust
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Jeust:   No, not at all. And this isn't fleshed out? Compared to what? It certainly has more...everything...than Silent Hill 2. "
I don't mean the game isn't fleshed out. I mean that the way the game convenes the experience and twist, isn't as effective as in Silent Hill 2. Text boxes and text have a limit in what can express. Although i've seen really interesting and emotive writing in games, graphics tend to go a long way in expressing something, I for once don't play games to read heaps of text, i play to feel engaged, and i can't feel as engaged with older games.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Jeust: 

Um, what about him dying? You know, the soldiers summoning meteors to kill his army? Those were graphics. And what the hell do you mean you can't feel engaged with heaps of text? What about cutscenes? The only difference is pressing the A button, which actually makes the text scenes slightly more engaging. I order thee to appreciate older games. They can communicate emotions in great ways, sir. Hell, look at how text communicates things here:

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jeust
@Video_Game_King: that is a good example. Great storytelling. :)  

I don't mean it's bad, or that it doesn't convene well the meaning, but that the medium evolved from it for a reason. True that many of the scripts now don't have the richness of FFVI, but still, now there are better ways of expressing emotions. While some experiences are expressed well through this style, i feel there are better ways of storytelling nowadays.