I still dont understand why...

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yukoei

So many people include multiplatform games in their exclusive list.  People put Splinter Cell, Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, Left 4 Dead 2 all in their 360 exclusive lists and same with PS3 games such as DC universe online.

Look, if I can play any of the games above without owning a 360/PS3 THEY ARE NOT EXCLUSIVE.

How can people argue with that?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

So people are confused regarding exclusives? Well, then it's our job to educate them without trolling. Aren't all those games you listed (aside DC Universe) 360 exclusive? You can make a valid argument that if a game is also on the PC, you can still say it's exclusive to X system. For example, most people consider Left 4 Dead 2 and exclusive even thought its also on the PC.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Binman88

They mean console exclusive.

MALACHE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By MALACHE

Because NO ONE cares about PC gaming anymore..... That's my theory anyway.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aeterna
@Binman88 said:
" They mean console exclusive. "
Which is just stupid. 
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yukoei
@MALACHE said:
" Because NO ONE cares about PC gaming anymore..... That's my theory anyway. "
Ask Steam how much money they made with the sale then come back and tell me if no one cares.
altdimension

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By altdimension

Exclusives are only a bad thing.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By 02sfraser

i don't think you can call them exclusives since they can be played on a PC, but i don't think it is really a point worth bringing up.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yukoei
@EpicSteve said:
" So people are confused regarding exclusives? Well, then it's our job to educate them without trolling. Aren't all those games you listed (aside DC Universe) 360 exclusive? You can make a valid argument that if a game is also on the PC, you can still say it's exclusive to X system. For example, most people consider Left 4 Dead 2 and exclusive even thought its also on the PC. "
So why dont people consider Batman Arkham Aslyum a PS3 exclusive even though its on 360?
Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Buscemi
@MALACHE: In the United States anyway. It's cause you guys are too lazy to upgrade your computers to state of the art technology. It's a bit more expensive, sure, but a keyboard and a mouse is still superior to the gamepads. First-person games are much better than what they were on consoles, but suggesting that they are better on consoles than on a PC is just downright stupid.
02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 02sfraser
@Yukoei said:
" @EpicSteve said:
" So people are confused regarding exclusives? Well, then it's our job to educate them without trolling. Aren't all those games you listed (aside DC Universe) 360 exclusive? You can make a valid argument that if a game is also on the PC, you can still say it's exclusive to X system. For example, most people consider Left 4 Dead 2 and exclusive even thought its also on the PC. "
So why dont people consider Batman Arkham Aslyum a PS3 exclusive even though its on 360? "
you never included Batman in your original list so his point is still valid
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Snail

Although I completely agree with you, I also find disturbingly annoying whenever someone posts half a sentence as a topic title, that gives you no hint on what the thread might be about. 

i.e. "I still don't understand why..." 

Seriously. Why would you do that? Just let us know what the thread is about. The chances of attracting someone interested in the discussion are high, I guarantee you. 

That being said, yes, I completely agree with you. It's only an exclusive if you require said console to play it! 

• Exclusives: Heavy Rain, Crackdown. 

• Non-exclusives: Mass Effect 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction. 

Gee people, just because they were in the Microsoft E3 showcase that doesn't make them exclusives. L4D2 was there too, even Modern Warfare 2.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#13  Edited By EpicSteve
@Yukoei said:

" @EpicSteve said:

So why dont people consider Batman Arkham Aslyum a PS3 exclusive even though its on 360? "
You answered your own question. People typically mean console exclusive, unless otherwise specified.
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Yukoei
@EpicSteve said:
" @Yukoei said:

" @EpicSteve said:

You answered your own question. People typically mean console exclusive, unless otherwise specified. "
That console exclusive shit it the biggest crap I have ever heard.
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yukoei
@Snail said:
" Although I completely agree with you, I also find disturbingly annoying whenever someone posts half a sentence as a topic title, that gives you no hint on what the thread might be about. 

i.e. "I still don't understand why..." 

Seriously. Why would you do that? Just let us know what the thread is about. The chances of attracting someone interested in the discussion are high, I guarantee you. 

That being said, yes, I completely agree with you. It's only an exclusive if you require said console to play it! 

• Exclusives: Heavy Rain, Crackdown. 

• Non-exclusives: Mass Effect 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction. 
 Gee people, just because they were in the Microsoft E3 showcase that doesn't make them exclusives. L4D2 was there too, even Modern Warfare 2. "
What else would I have named it?

I still dont understand why people so many people count multiplatform games as exclusives?

It wouldnt have fit...I dont think it would have anyway.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@MALACHE said:
What a great theory -________-
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By cstrang

Even if games appear on the PC, they should still be considered exclusives because they're still locked to the same console developer.  Splinter Cell and Mass Effect 2 are going out for the Microsoft Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows platform.  They are Microsoft-exclusive; the games are not coming to consoles developed by Sony or Nintendo.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 02sfraser

i don't see why you are getting so annoyed about the fact people are forgetting about PC as a gaming platform. when people talk about exclusives people tend to forget about PC because it doesn't compete in the same way the 3 console makers do. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo battle over exclusives all the time where as developers make PC versions all the time so it is never considered in the argument

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MeierTheRed

I still find it bull shit when they call Mass Effect 2 a Xbox 360 exclusive, when its also coming out for the PC.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Generally when people say exclusive when referring to a console game, they mean exclusive on consoles. It doesn't really bother me. I can see why people do it - If you don't have a decent PC, when your looking to buy a console, you look at what games you can buy on console X that isn't on console Y. Them being on PC makes absolutely no difference to your purchasing decision.

RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RiddleBrother
@Yukoei said:
" @MALACHE said:
Ask Steam how much money they made with the sale then come back and tell me if no one cares. "
Ask the Big 3 how much money they made on console sales then come back and tell me if no one cares. No wait, don't. I don't care. 

zing.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Brendan

Agreed with MattyFTM, I can see why Yukoei is pissed about his platform of choice being seemingly overlooked, but comparing exclusives is always mostly kept between consoles, because that's where the competition is.
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Djeffers03
@AltDimension said:
" Exclusives are only a bad thing. "
although they may entice flame wars they are one of the main reasons why you should purchase a certain system
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By penguindust

When most people argue the salient points of gaming, they usually don't include the PC.  And if you are a Mac user, things are rarely, if ever, mentioned.  So, when listing the games, they divide them between Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that as long as they state that they are just talking consoles.  Most of the time people don't include handheld versions, too in their outlines.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo

Depends on the context.

"So many people include multiplatform games in their exclusive list."  I don't really know who or what you're referring to.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pause422
@Binman88 said:

It doesnt matter is the thing. If someone starts a title and says "Console exclusives", that would be one thing. When people make titles like "what 360 exclusives are here in 2010?" and people name games on the 360 and the PC , they are not exclusive. I dont really care if some people assume console exclusive and dont care about it, but it is rather dumb to do in the first place. Halo Reach is an exclusive. Splinter Cell conviction and Mass Effect 2 are not. There is basically an issue of clarification, name actual exclusives to the system and ONLY the system.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By flaminghobo

Rather than labelling games 'console exclusives', I look at it from a company standpoint. Anything that will only play on a PC and 360 is a 'Microsoft Exclusive' and vice versa for Sony and Nintendo with their respective consoles. It just makes a lot more sense to me than labelling them 'console exclusives' when they can be played on a PC.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Yukoei
@RiddleBrother said:
" @Yukoei said:
" @MALACHE said:
Ask Steam how much money they made with the sale then come back and tell me if no one cares. "
Ask the Big 3 how much money they made on console sales then come back and tell me if no one cares. No wait, don't. I don't care. 

zing.   "
I Never said no one cares about consoles.

zing.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel
@Titus said:
" @MALACHE: In the United States anyway. It's cause you guys are too lazy to upgrade your computers to state of the art technology. It's a bit more expensive, sure, but a keyboard and a mouse is still superior to the gamepads. First-person games are much better than what they were on consoles, but suggesting that they are better on consoles than on a PC is just downright stupid. "
Not this elitist bullshit again.
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Three0neFive
@cstrang said:
" Even if games appear on the PC, they should still be considered exclusives because they're still locked to the same console developer.  Splinter Cell and Mass Effect 2 are going out for the Microsoft Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows platform.  They are Microsoft-exclusive; the games are not coming to consoles developed by Sony or Nintendo. "
Except I can also play those games on Mac OS X... or Ubuntu Linux... or pretty much any OS.

I agree with OP, I can't fucking stand when people say that games like Mass Effect, Splinter Cell, Left 4 Dead, etc. are 360-exclusive. It's just completely nonsensical, as they aren't "EXCLUSIVE" to that platform. You don't need a 360 to play those games. They are not solely on the 360. Therefore, they are not EXCLUSIVE. And the whole "PC doesn't count, I mean CONSOLE exclusive" is utter shit, and whoever tries to pull that is a fucking moron.
LoZonedOut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LoZonedOut

who cares,  i go by console exclusives because no one really cares about the PC anyway.
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Binman88
@pause422 said:
" @Binman88 said:

It doesnt matter is the thing. If someone starts a title and says "Console exclusives", that would be one thing. When people make titles like "what 360 exclusives are here in 2010?" and people name games on the 360 and the PC , they are not exclusive. I dont really care if some people assume console exclusive and dont care about it, but it is rather dumb to do in the first place. Halo Reach is an exclusive. Splinter Cell conviction and Mass Effect 2 are not. There is basically an issue of clarification, name actual exclusives to the system and ONLY the system. "
To be honest, I don't even know who the OP is referring to when he says "So many people include...". If he's referring to people posting on this site then who cares what they say? Most of them don't own a gaming PC and see the 360 and PS3 as the two main platforms to play games on. I'm a PC gamer mainly -- I own a PS3 for console exclusive titles -- but I actually view my PC as being a much different (and in my eyes, a far superior) platform to a console, that I automatically understand what people mean when people say Mass Effect is a 360 exclusive title.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iam3green
@cstrang: yes but some of the PC games can be played on the MAC. Microsoft doesn't necessarily own the game for their platform. 

i don't really understand why people don't think of the PC. i think it is because a lot of people don't upgrade their computers so they don't play on PC. once the computer gets crappy then it is time to buy a new computer.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By iamjohn
@iam3green said:

" i don't really understand why people don't think of the PC. i think it is because a lot of people don't upgrade their computers so they don't play on PC. once the computer gets crappy then it is time to buy a new computer. "

Because many console gamers just have no interest in playing on PC.  Therefore a game being on one console and PC is practically an exclusive as far as they are concerned. 

This isn't that complicated an issue, dudes.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jkz

Jesus. I love my PC, but lets stop being so delusional. The PC gaming market is, at this point, minuscule when compared to the console market, you just need to look at sales to see that. As a result, most discussions about exclusives are kept between the big three, is that truly such a difficult idea to get your head around. 

If you want to talk phraseology, then sure, it's not really an exclusive, but in reality, the PC market is currently too small to be included in these discussions.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By ajamafalous
@iAmJohn said:
" Because many console gamers just have no interest in playing on PC.  Therefore a game being on one console and PC is practically an exclusive as far as they are concerned.  This isn't that complicated an issue, dudes. "
This.

I do nearly all my gaming on my PC, but even I understand that they're referring to console exclusives. Seems that the only people who would be annoyed by this are PC elitists.
Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Aeterna
@Three0neFive said:
" @cstrang said:
" Even if games appear on the PC, they should still be considered exclusives because they're still locked to the same console developer.  Splinter Cell and Mass Effect 2 are going out for the Microsoft Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows platform.  They are Microsoft-exclusive; the games are not coming to consoles developed by Sony or Nintendo. "
Except I can also play those games on Mac OS X... or Ubuntu Linux... or pretty much any OS.  I agree with OP, I can't fucking stand when people say that games like Mass Effect, Splinter Cell, Left 4 Dead, etc. are 360-exclusive. It's just completely nonsensical, as they aren't "EXCLUSIVE" to that platform. You don't need a 360 to play those games. They are not solely on the 360. Therefore, they are not EXCLUSIVE. And the whole "PC doesn't count, I mean CONSOLE exclusive" is utter shit, and whoever tries to pull that is a fucking moron. "
Right on. 

Console or no console is entirely besides the point.  
The word itself; Exclusive says enough, you people are seemingly just ignoring the meaning of the word.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By trophyhunter

people don't care about the PC get the hell over it

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Blu_Magic
@LoZonedOut said:
" who cares,  i go by console exclusives because no one really cares about the PC anyway. "
LOL. I'm not even a PC gamer and I find this excruciatingly ridiculous.
Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Buscemi
@Hailinel said:

" @Titus said:

" @MALACHE: In the United States anyway. It's cause you guys are too lazy to upgrade your computers to state of the art technology. It's a bit more expensive, sure, but a keyboard and a mouse is still superior to the gamepads. First-person games are much better than what they were on consoles, but suggesting that they are better on consoles than on a PC is just downright stupid. "

Not this elitist bullshit again. "
  @Hailinel: Elitist or not, it's the truth. There are considerally more buttons on a keyboard+mouse than on a d-pad. I'd like to see you make it through a battle in Empire: Total War on Xbox 360, it's going to be hard alright. I'd also want to see you win over someone playing on a PC on MW2, sure that might be easier, but it sure as hell ain't easy. Don't get me wrong, I have this generation's consoles too. I don't use them nearly as much as I use my PC but I've played them enough to see they're strengths and  weaknesses. What is the main problem with games that are converted from console to PC? That they are too easy! Just look at the latest PoP for an example.
Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#41  Edited By Atlas

1. It may be unspoken, but what they mean is CONSOLE exclusive.
2. PC versions of those games can be drastically different. Compare the UI for Mass Effect on 360 compared to the PC.
3. Most new games released for PC have brutal system requirements, and so the barrier for entry is much higher than consoles.
4. PC sales are a small percentage compared to sales on consoles.
5. PC-only gamers are jerks.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By DarkShaper

I still care about PC games and I know enough people who care about them to know that saying people don't care about PC is ridiculous. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By xyzygy

Console exclusive. Stop being smart-asses and realize that that's what it means. I think the term is meant to put fanboys of any system in their place, without being a fanboy yourself. 

Sure there is the PC but unless you always keep up to date with the upgrades you won't have the best experience. So many people own consoles because it's convenient and the experience is basically the same, with a much, much larger variety of games. Sure the PC can be a platform but it's different than a console which is meant exclusively for gaming. Me, I only use my PC for the internet, videos, downloading, etc. I use my gaming systems for games. I'm not saying you shouldn't use PCs for games, it's just that that's what some people do. Unless you bought a pure gaming PC that's when it can be called a platform and sadly, there are far fewer people with gaming PCs than consoles. 

For instance, my friend just bought a Intel Core 2 Quad PC with 8GB ram, 2.8 GHz, with all this stuff and he wanted to play the Saboteur on it. Sadly, the PC had an ATI card and couldn't run it, so he had to sell the game. Also, the same card (I'm pretty sure it's integrated) will only let him run Dragon Age at a little higher than middle settings and it still chugs during battles. He's pretty much the only friend I know who plays PC games - the other two friends he lives with have decent computers (not as good as his though) and they only play WoW all day since 2008, so I wouldn't call them gamers, more like WoW players. Everyone else I know owns a console. 

It's for these reasons that I myself don't consider the PC when I think of exclusives, simply because I tend to not think of the system. I've had bad experiences with PC gaming in my past and I don't think I'll ever go back, but I can still see how careful planning can make a really good PC. 

Also, Another thing is that the majority of PC games are for Windows, which is owned by Microsoft. The other small, small percentage is Apple, and that's a whole other story. Even if you can play them on Linux, that doesn't change the fact they were made for Microsoft or Apple. You can still play SNES emulators on a PC, but that doens't mean SNES games were made for the PC.

nyuckelhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By nyuckelhead

Who cares what people call their games. You can call it exclusive or  a hippopotamus if you want

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@jukezypoo said:
" Jesus. I love my PC, but lets stop being so delusional. The PC gaming market is, at this point, minuscule when compared to the console market, you just need to look at sales to see that. As a result, most discussions about exclusives are kept between the big three, is that truly such a difficult idea to get your head around. 

If you want to talk phraseology, then sure, it's not really an exclusive, but in reality, the PC market is currently too small to be included in these discussions. "
Yup yup yup.

When someone says "nobody cares about PC gaming" it's mostly true.  People on a video game website may care greatly about PC gaming, but the encompassing population of "gamers" really don't.  Those who don't have a giant noisy box with blue LED's under their desk (most of us) care about the consoles.  You have to realize the viewpoint of a PC gamer is the viewpoint of a minority. 

Also, if Sony came out with an OS and put Uncharted 4 on it, I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch by calling it a PS4 exclusive. 
MALACHE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MALACHE
@Titus: From a control standpoint I would agree with you on PC's being better for FPS. But from a purely competitive standpoint Consoles are better IMO. EVERYONE has the same Vid card... EVERYONE has the same Proc.... ETC. So no one has an advantage with a higher frame rate, better refresh or higher resolution. RTS on the other hand... I don't even think consoles should even TRY.

That and I like not having to really do anything but throw a game into a tray and play it. Fuck huge installs, and card specific drivers!! 

Everyone blew my statement out of proportion. I was just saying, as had been said by MANY people, that PC gaming is not nearly as popular as console gaming as a whole. As a matter of fact, you take out just the asian gold farmers from World of Warcraft and the numbers of PC  gamers drops like your moms pants when rent is due.