FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#201  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Aronman789 said:
" basically I'm saying we need more stuff before the site ends up dying, as I myself also believe that the news isn't what you go to GB for, you go for the guys and the videos, fuck, most people don't even read the articles. And once that starts slipping so will the forums, and I spend all my time on these forums, so it better not die goddamn it.  /rant "
Reminds me of the few "civil war" threads we've had here. Man, I wish I could find them again.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#202  Edited By GreggD
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Aronman789 said:
" basically I'm saying we need more stuff before the site ends up dying, as I myself also believe that the news isn't what you go to GB for, you go for the guys and the videos, fuck, most people don't even read the articles. And once that starts slipping so will the forums, and I spend all my time on these forums, so it better not die goddamn it.  /rant "
Reminds me of the few "civil war" threads we've had here. Man, I wish I could find them again. "
Yeah, it's kinda eerie.
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#203  Edited By Jams

i came here for the quick looks. I subscribed because I felt GB deserved my money for the entertainment the DP ER and QL's gave me day in and day out. I also don't think this around the world trip is a good idea. It seems more like a "hey lets have a reason to travel" than a thanks to members.

I think GB really needs to change direction. They need to focus on exclusive video content and leave the text new and reviews to all the other sites out there. They're personalities and that's what really brings people to their sites. Not walls of text.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#204  Edited By Aronman789
@jams said:
I also don't think this around the world trip is a good idea. It seems more like a "hey lets have a reason to travel" than a thanks to members.  
I gotta say that the trip to me seems to be more of an "Hey, I want to go somewhere, how can we get the money?" sort of deal.
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Jams
@Aronman789 said:
" @jams said:
I also don't think this around the world trip is a good idea. It seems more like a "hey lets have a reason to travel" than a thanks to members.  
I gotta say that the trip to me seems to be more of an "Hey, I want to go somewhere, how can we get the money?" sort of deal. "
yeah, that's what I meant actually.
bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#206  Edited By bongchilla

I have to also agree with the general sentiment of this thread. I have no issue with them not wanting them to do another endurance run, I mean it all started as a chance for Vinny to play P4 during his busy schedule. However, the lack of new and original content the past few months has me worried. This site has been boring lately and when 75 percent of the main crew don't really care about half of the games they play and cover, it starts to show over time.

Isn't it odd how Vinny, the main video editing person, plays and enjoys m

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By bongchilla

Sorry, posted from my phone....

What I was saying is Vinny seems to play more games than Jeff, Ryan and Brad and he dosent even write about them!

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#208  Edited By bybeach
@jams said:

"i came here for the quick looks. I subscribed because I felt GB deserved my money for the entertainment the DP ER and QL's gave me day in and day out. I also don't think this around the world trip is a good idea. It seems more like a "hey lets have a reason to travel" than a thanks to members.  I think GB really needs to change direction. They need to focus on exclusive video content and leave the text new and reviews to all the other sites out there. They're personalities and that's what really brings people to their sites. Not walls of text. " 

That's what I do not want them to do. I respect your reasoning, they have done a fairly good job at the personality routines. But these Professionals are also past core exemplary reviewers. It is what legitimizes and even gold plates their position as an on-line gaming site. Yes, it is that tie-back to GS and their standings there, including and especially what happened to Jeff for a review.. Put them in the position of being pure entertainers and they will burn out. I think what works rather is that they continue being creative in the video stuff, as you would more or less like. QLs should be abundant. I'm not at all sure about the next endurance run because it has finally sunk into me the logistical difficulty in choosing a target game for this. DP was within margins of time and playability(barely) and there still seemed to be some problems. Sure I liked it,..but all I ask is that they do what they can. that much. I really feel an ER should not be slated for this year unless it meshes with them totally. I'm not anticipating one. I'm kind of not anticipating one ever again.

I bought a shirt  for their trip around the world, ostensibly to visit their other site viewers. If that doesn't pan out, hey then something to improve the site is fine by me. That would be fine by me, because this is how I feel about GB, and Whiskey Media also. If that tacit relationship changes then it will. 

But I wanted that shirt anyways...
Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I enjoy reading the reviews, but I think the point of what he was saying was that they've slid in video content alot and it's hard to understand why. People seem to think that they're incapable of doing any more than they're doing right now, for some reason. Back during the P4 Endurance Run they managed to record videos for almost every single week day for about 7 months. I don't think they took more than one week off of putting out videos. Quick Looks, event coverage, reviews, podcasts, all managed to get out there. They've proved themselves really capable in the past. But now, during a time where there isn't alot going on and you'd think they'd have nothing keeping them from putting out content, they're doing even less than when they had to have video content daily just for one feature.

Though alot of people clamor for an Endurance Run, I think what most people need to realize that half of the reason for it isn't really for the ER itself, it's just that it's the best example of awesome video content that Giant Bomb excels at. There's more clamoring for an Endurance Run now, I think, because there's less content from them overall and alot of people sense a general decline. If there was alot of content and it just wasn't labeled "Endurance Run", I think less people would be complaining about it. It's just the example that's easiest to turn to.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#210  Edited By Romination

I miss it too. Ah, well, I like their quick looks and podcasts enough to keep me happy though.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By jeffgoldblum

There seems to be less content on giantbomb these days, but the guys go through cycles. In a couple of months we will probably be seeing a lot more content around here again.

Rannos22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Rannos22
@bybeach:  I think a 10-20 minute quick look provides MUCH more understanding of a game than any wall of boring old text does, and it actually entertains. I've also bought quite a few games I've never heard of before because of quick looks, but I've never really changed my opinion of a game because of a review of some major game I've already probably bought. 
With the sparse few reviews and news articles they put out, I simply cannot view Giant Bomb in the same league as a big name like IGN or Gamespot as far as a game review site goes. But Giant Bomb fits the bill perfectly as an entertainment site. I think if they were to try to compete with IGN they would be destroyed and would be a great deal less funny and entertaining.
pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By pwnasaurus

how about we all shut the fuck up about it.

GrayFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By GrayFox666

I feel like im the only one, but I LOVE the Persona 4 endurance run, but I really dont care at all for another endurance run. I dont mean I wont watch another endurance run of any game, I just dont want them unless like the giantbomb crew actually wants to do one.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By beej
@Jack_Daniels said:
" @beej said:
" Oh man I don't envy you right now. Brace for impact sir.  "
Well... you were right. "
I tried to warn you duder. Oh well, the thread will rage on without your input at this point. Might as well let the battle play out. 
megasoum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By megasoum

I agree that a new ER shouldn't be forced. However, I think that the opinions expressed in this thread demonstrated really well that the problem with GB nowadays is deeper than just "omg we want a new ER". 

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#217  Edited By Nasos100

lets keep the train going yoohoo!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beej said:
" @Jack_Daniels said:
" @beej said:
I tried to warn you duder. Oh well, the thread will rage on without your input at this point. Might as well let the battle play out.  "
Much more of a discussion than a battle, don't you think?
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Jams
@Marokai said:

" I enjoy reading the reviews, but I think the point of what he was saying was that they've slid in video content alot and it's hard to understand why. People seem to think that they're incapable of doing any more than they're doing right now, for some reason. Back during the P4 Endurance Run they managed to record videos for almost every single week day for about 7 months. I don't think they took more than one week off of putting out videos. Quick Looks, event coverage, reviews, podcasts, all managed to get out there. They've proved themselves really capable in the past. But now, during a time where there isn't alot going on and you'd think they'd have nothing keeping them from putting out content, they're doing even less than when they had to have video content daily just for one feature.  Though alot of people clamor for an Endurance Run, I think what most people need to realize that half of the reason for it isn't really for the ER itself, it's just that it's the best example of awesome video content that Giant Bomb excels at. There's more clamoring for an Endurance Run now, I think, because there's less content from them overall and alot of people sense a general decline. If there was alot of content and it just wasn't labeled "Endurance Run", I think less people would be complaining about it. It's just the example that's easiest to turn to. "

I think you're right. I would probably want an ER less if I had at least more QL and QL throwbacks to watch. All the video content I came to the site for in the beginning is almost completely gone save for a QL or 2 a week, the TNT and Happy Hour. It just doesn't feel like it used to. EDIT: When I first actually started watching QL's and the ER, I stopped watching TV all together. THAT'S how good the videos were.

@bybeach

said:

" @jams said:

"i came here for the quick looks. I subscribed because I felt GB deserved my money for the entertainment the DP ER and QL's gave me day in and day out. I also don't think this around the world trip is a good idea. It seems more like a "hey lets have a reason to travel" than a thanks to members.  I think GB really needs to change direction. They need to focus on exclusive video content and leave the text new and reviews to all the other sites out there. They're personalities and that's what really brings people to their sites. Not walls of text. " 

That's what I do not want them to do. I respect your reasoning, they have done a fairly good job at the personality routines. But these Professionals are also past core exemplary reviewers. It is what legitimizes and even gold plates their position as an on-line gaming site. Yes, it is that tie-back to GS and their standings there, including and especially what happened to Jeff for a review.. Put them in the position of being pure entertainers and they will burn out. I think what works rather is that they continue being creative in the video stuff, as you would more or less like. QLs should be abundant. I'm not at all sure about the next endurance run because it has finally sunk into me the logistical difficulty in choosing a target game for this. DP was within margins of time and playability(barely) and there still seemed to be some problems. Sure I liked it,..but all I ask is that they do what they can. that much. I really feel an ER should not be slated for this year unless it meshes with them totally. I'm not anticipating one. I'm kind of not anticipating one ever again. I bought a shirt  for their trip around the world, ostensibly to visit their other site viewers. If that doesn't pan out, hey then something to improve the site is fine by me. That would be fine by me, because this is how I feel about GB, and Whiskey Media also. If that tacit relationship changes then it will.  But I wanted that shirt anyways... "
I definitely don't want them to burn out or become bitter from doing forced videos. I also bought the shirt :)
PaulRevere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By PaulRevere
@Khann said:
" @beej said:
" @Jack_Daniels said:
" @beej said:
I tried to warn you duder. Oh well, the thread will rage on without your input at this point. Might as well let the battle play out.  "
Much more of a discussion than a battle, don't you think? "
I think this has gone from the typical "AHH I MISS THE ER! WHEN'S THE NEXT ER?" to a discussion about what the community is not happy about. It's unfortunate that the topic says Endurance Run...
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By beej
@nosiwohL said:
" @Khann said:
" @beej said:
" @Jack_Daniels said:
" @beej said:
Much more of a discussion than a battle, don't you think? "
I think this has gone from the typical "AHH I MISS THE ER! WHEN'S THE NEXT ER?" to a discussion about what the community is not happy about. It's unfortunate that the topic says Endurance Run... "
I'll grant you that there was significantly less hatred of the OP for suggesting an endurance run then I expected. 
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By cap123

I think before subscriptions I just accepted that the crew could do what they want because, hey it's all free and i appreciate every morsel of fun i can get out of them. But now people are paying... i guess they can voice their concerns even if the crew doesn't have to listen since it's their product. 

I don't pay though, so I don't really get a say beyond my opinion.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#223  Edited By ectoplasma

It's decided, let's storm the internets!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By AlexW00d
@rudeboy217 said:
" I still haven't even watched the endurance runs. I don't think I can get through any of P4. "
Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Sayishere
@AlexW00d said:

" @rudeboy217 said:

" I still haven't even watched the endurance runs. I don't think I can get through any of P4. "

"
Yeah the p4 endurance, as the title suggests, is all about enduring 

most of that playthrough was very enjoyable, although theres alot oft episodes  some of the dungeon grinding parts were kinda of a bore, but thats a small chunk of it, i highly recommend watching it if you can spare the time heh 

i literally have played persona 4 twice now (once on my own, and the second time with jeff and vinny :D) 

thats 200 hours of my life persona 4 has taken from me, and i have no regrets :D
cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By cheesebob

Endurance Run's are to Giant Bomb as Creep is to Radiohead.

A song which made them famous but after everyone asked for it they stopped playing it until one day, it comes back and its amazing.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#227  Edited By natetodamax

From Jeff's formspring

Wouldn't it be easier to just write something on the front page of GB about another ER rather than avoiding the question?

Putting "HEY STOP ASKING ABOUT THIS THING WE SAID WE AREN'T INTERESTED IN DOING MORE OF" right on the front page is perhaps a little boorish, don't you think? We've said our piece on the matter and don't have time to respond every time someone else brings it up.

I've even stopped mentioning the whole "well, if the right game comes along" stuff because it just leads to people assuming they know what the right game is and suggesting it over and over again. We won't be forced into doing an Endurance Run. It's something we have to want to do, otherwise every single installment will be a dull fucking drag where two guys who don't want to be there sit and play a game they didn't choose every single day for a month or two. That would be terrible and would probably kill the entire thing forever. I appreciate that people liked what we did with those two games, and I enjoyed doing them. But that doesn't mean we're going to rush into another one just because people claim they would watch it.

Think of it as a form of quality control. 
jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By jack_daniels
@beej:  That's because I did it in a lot less douchey way!
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By scarace360

Would be fun to see an endurance run of jeff going from fighting game lover to trying to go pro. That would be cool. Or brad trying to do it with starcraft.

Einherjar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Einherjar

Guys, just wait for Persona 5. They'll have no choice.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By cyraxible
@Einherjar: Jeff's already said that they won't do a Catherine ER because they don't want to be the guys that just make videos of them playing Atlus' games, so I doubt that they will do Persona 5.
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#232  Edited By Gabriel

I wonder if it ever occurred to people that no game will ever live up to P4 because it was new and unexpected. Sure there are plenty of lets play videos but most people have never seen those before and actually watched them through for 100 hours. Kind of like why people are really into FF7. We don't need another Endurance Run morons. The Deadly Premontion one was bad compared to P4. I love Deadly Premonition but I don't want to watch other people play it. 

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#233  Edited By Animasta
@cyraxible said:
" @Einherjar: Jeff's already said that they won't do a Catherine ER because they don't want to be the guys that just make videos of them playing Atlus' games, so I doubt that they will do Persona 5. "
Persona 5's at least 2 years out anyway.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#234  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Laketown said:
" Persona 5's at least 2 years out anyway. "
Why don't you think it couldn't be next year?
Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By Aegon

I think it's fine if we don't get an endurance run for a while. If it comes back in a  year or longer with a fresh hidden gem type of game, it should be fun and entertaining. If it never comes back....well, I'd rather not think about that. 

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#236  Edited By tourgen

Ahh man only 12 pages. 

Well whatever.  I loved the ERs but I don't care if they ever do another or not.  That was one fun slice of time but I'm cool with moving on. 

I'd rather the guys just have a great time doing what they do.  Take all the subs money and burn it on hookers and blow in Europe.  Whatever.  I'll be pissed if they don't have a great time with their world tour.  They work hard and they're Top Men in their field.  I hope they have some fun.