Is Game "JOURNALIST" an appropriate title?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Edited By EpicSteve

In the past few years I've been thinking about becoming a videogame journalist. In the last 14 months I've actually been planning it. Many of you know I've joined the Army to pay for the college, and quite frankly, if I'm going to be working at a desk for the greater-half of my life I feel I should do something a little more active, plus I've always found military combat fascinating. I'm going to major in some-sort of variation of English when I get back from my first deployment in 2011, but I don't know if I should actually do journalism. I haven't had the chance to go over every option colleges have for English majors, but I feel like I'm not going to benefit much from journalism beyond grammar. 

The University of Cincinnati does offer Media Criticism (to my surprise the teacher totally covers games for a lesson), but that's only a one-year course. I'm going to take Japanese to add a little extra to my resume, and to help if/when I go to TGS. Just so I can handle myself in basic conversations, and be there to translate the FFXV demo in 2015. I've also decided to double major in media production. My conundrum is the question, is Game Journalist an appropriate title?

What do “real” journalists do? They go out, travel, hit the streets for “hot scoops”, get to the bottom of the story, write about them, talk about them on CNN, and win awards. I would go as far as saying utilizing the title “Game Journalist” may become pretentious in the future. What would be an appropriate job title that describes what “game writers” do?

Do I go around saying I want to be a Game Critic? I feel that's the best alternative. I mean, they do criticize. They also write up stories, and report press releases, but their main job is telling us (the consumer) what games to look at. The title journalist doesn't fit, while Game Critic may not reveal the spectrum of things that involve the career, I feel it's the best solution. The term “critic” does have its own stigma to it. “Oh, all you do is play videogames and tell people if they suck or not?” I'm not too sure. We should totally drop the term all together, and “Game Press” sounds awkward. What do you think? I feel like their is a more appropriate term than Journalist.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

In the past few years I've been thinking about becoming a videogame journalist. In the last 14 months I've actually been planning it. Many of you know I've joined the Army to pay for the college, and quite frankly, if I'm going to be working at a desk for the greater-half of my life I feel I should do something a little more active, plus I've always found military combat fascinating. I'm going to major in some-sort of variation of English when I get back from my first deployment in 2011, but I don't know if I should actually do journalism. I haven't had the chance to go over every option colleges have for English majors, but I feel like I'm not going to benefit much from journalism beyond grammar. 

The University of Cincinnati does offer Media Criticism (to my surprise the teacher totally covers games for a lesson), but that's only a one-year course. I'm going to take Japanese to add a little extra to my resume, and to help if/when I go to TGS. Just so I can handle myself in basic conversations, and be there to translate the FFXV demo in 2015. I've also decided to double major in media production. My conundrum is the question, is Game Journalist an appropriate title?

What do “real” journalists do? They go out, travel, hit the streets for “hot scoops”, get to the bottom of the story, write about them, talk about them on CNN, and win awards. I would go as far as saying utilizing the title “Game Journalist” may become pretentious in the future. What would be an appropriate job title that describes what “game writers” do?

Do I go around saying I want to be a Game Critic? I feel that's the best alternative. I mean, they do criticize. They also write up stories, and report press releases, but their main job is telling us (the consumer) what games to look at. The title journalist doesn't fit, while Game Critic may not reveal the spectrum of things that involve the career, I feel it's the best solution. The term “critic” does have its own stigma to it. “Oh, all you do is play videogames and tell people if they suck or not?” I'm not too sure. We should totally drop the term all together, and “Game Press” sounds awkward. What do you think? I feel like their is a more appropriate term than Journalist.

Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Puppy

Yes, it is.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

I think more time is spent reporting news than critiquing games. But if you only want to review games, then game critic sounds about right. If you wanna report news, go to events, etc, then that qualifies as journalism, imo. It's too bad so many people just go "I'm not really a journalist" and with that justify being completely yellow like a cheap tabloid nowadays though. Anyway, call it whatever people can understand there.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By End_Boss

It absolutely is the correct title for the profession, and if you think that the things you listed are the only things game journalists do, you should probably research your chosen profession more thoroughly.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EpicSteve
@End_Boss said:
" It absolutely is the correct title for the profession, and if you think that the things you listed are the only things game journalists do, you should probably research your chosen profession more thoroughly. "
Yeah, but I'm not going to waste people's time in reading information they probably know. No point in listing job specifics. You also obviously didn't read all of the blog "while Game Critic may not reveal the spectrum of things that involve the career"
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By End_Boss
@EpicSteve said:
"
@End_Boss said:
" It absolutely is the correct title for the profession, and if you think that the things you listed are the only things game journalists do, you should probably research your chosen profession more thoroughly. "
Yeah, but I'm not going to waste people's time in reading information they probably know. No point in listing job specifics. "
Well to be honest your description of actual journalism seems a bit romanticized as well: "winning awards" and "talking about them on CNN" and whatnot. Also, would TGS not count as a place to go to get "the hot scoop"? What about E3? Are there not leaks to "get to the bottom of"? No controversy in the game world to report on (the Tim Schafer scandals, Left 4 Dead 2, motion controls...)?

This thread doesn't seem terribly well thought out. It seems if you gave it some time to sink in you'd see that the only difference between what a news journalist does and what a game journalist does is topical.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EpicSteve
@End_Boss said:
"
@EpicSteve said:
"
@End_Boss said:
Yeah, but I'm not going to waste people's time in reading information they probably know. No point in listing job specifics. "
Well to be honest your description of actual journalism seems a bit romanticized as well: "winning awards" and "talking about them on CNN" and whatnot. Also, would TGS not count as a place to go to get "the hot scoop"? What about E3? Are there not leaks to "get to the bottom of"? No controversy in the game world to report on (the Tim Schafer scandals, Left 4 Dead 2, motion controls...)?This thread doesn't seem terribly well thought out. It seems if you gave it some time to sink in you'd see that the only difference between what a news journalist does and what a game journalist does is topical. "
Please read the blog and think about it. Let me defend my writing style, for I feel I wasen't clear.

"winning awards"
Journalists totally write stuff in hopes of winning awards. Not necessarily all writers from all outlets, but it's a common thing in the writing industry outside of videogames.

"talking about them on CNN"
I didn't mean this literally. The television is a tool a lot of journalists utilize. Like gaming journalists use podcasts.

When I say "get to the bottom of it" I mean that I don't see Jeff Gerstmann wearing his press hat digging up dirt on various company's, people, and so on. Most videogame related writing I've witnessed, doesn't entail "investigation" in the traditional sense. Hilary Goldstein isn't interviewing someone whom he has to disquise his voise, and blur his face.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By the8bitNacho

The more appropriate title would be Professional Games Enthusiasm.  Learning Journalism essentially enables you to write about anything it that typical reporting fashion, regardless of your own interests.  Generally, games writers include considerably more enthusiasm and excitement in their writing.  Take Giant Bomb for example: most of their news posts are more opinionated and personalized rather than written as several paragraphs of droning facts about whatever breaking news story.

You could argue that persistent columns within newspapers and magazines are similar, and you would be right.  Those writers tend to hold more important positions within their own publications, allowed to profess their own personal tastes and opinions on particular topics.  Those writers also fall under the category of Professional Enthusiasts.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By End_Boss
@EpicSteve said:
"
@End_Boss said:
"
@EpicSteve said:
"
@End_Boss said:
Well to be honest your description of actual journalism seems a bit romanticized as well: "winning awards" and "talking about them on CNN" and whatnot. Also, would TGS not count as a place to go to get "the hot scoop"? What about E3? Are there not leaks to "get to the bottom of"? No controversy in the game world to report on (the Tim Schafer scandals, Left 4 Dead 2, motion controls...)?This thread doesn't seem terribly well thought out. It seems if you gave it some time to sink in you'd see that the only difference between what a news journalist does and what a game journalist does is topical. "
Please read the blog and think about it. Let me defend my writing style, for I feel I wasen't clear.

"winning awards"
Journalists totally write stuff in hopes of winning awards. Not necessarily all writers from all outlets, but it's a common thing in the writing industry outside of videogames.

I didn't mean this literally. The television is a tool a lot of journalists utilize. Like gaming journalists use podcasts. When I say "get to the bottom of it" I mean that I don't see Jeff Gerstmann wearing his press hat digging up dirt on various company's, people, and so on. Most videogame related writing I've witnessed, doesn't entail "investigation" in the traditional sense. Hilary Goldstein isn't interviewing someone whom he has to disquise his voise, and blur his face. "
I did read the blog, and I did think about it. That's where these responses are coming from. I understand that journalists are often rewarded for their efforts, but that should never be the top priority when writing a piece.

The reason you don't see Jeff Gerstmann digging up dirt on companies like Valve or Bungie is because it isn't in the nature of the beast; you don't see people with blurred voices/faces being interviewed, because normally in that kind of situation the interviewee is afraid for their well-being or truly ashamed of themselves for divulging whatever information it is that they're discussing, but still feel that the public needs to know. Games journalism just isn't as high-stakes as other strains of the profession, so there isn't a need for stuff like this. Public consciousness will not suffer without the knowledge that a new Zelda game is in the works. Public consciousness will and does suffer if no one is willing to talk about the suffering and injustice of the world.

It seems your problem comes from not recognizing that national or even international journalism and game journalism is the same thing, just with different subject matter and on different levels of importance.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EpicSteve
@End_Boss said:
"
@EpicSteve said:
"
@End_Boss said:
"
@EpicSteve said:
"
@End_Boss said:

"winning awards"

I didn't mean this literally. The television is a tool a lot of journalists utilize. Like gaming journalists use podcasts. When I say "get to the bottom of it" I mean that I don't see Jeff Gerstmann wearing his press hat digging up dirt on various company's, people, and so on. Most videogame related writing I've witnessed, doesn't entail "investigation" in the traditional sense. Hilary Goldstein isn't interviewing someone whom he has to disquise his voise, and blur his face. "
I did read the blog, and I did think about it. That's where these responses are coming from. I understand that journalists are often rewarded for their efforts, but that should never be the top priority when writing a piece.The reason you don't see Jeff Gerstmann digging up dirt on companies like Valve or Bungie is because it isn't in the nature of the beast; you don't see people with blurred voices/faces being interviewed, because normally in that kind of situation the interviewee is afraid for their well-being or truly ashamed of themselves for divulging whatever information it is that they're discussing, but still feel that the public needs to know. Games journalism just isn't as high-stakes as other strains of the profession, so there isn't a need for stuff like this. Public consciousness will not suffer without the knowledge that a new Zelda game is in the works. Public consciousness will and does suffer if no one is willing to talk about the suffering and injustice of the world.It seems your problem comes from not recognizing that national or even international journalism and game journalism is the same thing, just with different subject matter and on different levels of importance. "
"same thing, just with different subject matter and on different levels of importance. "
That summarizes affectingly, and also brings out my point. A great difference exists between the two careers, I feel a title needs to make the final separation. The problem was "Game Critic" doesn't do the job justice. Ultimately, blogging (like this) is journalism in small fashion, and that's exactly what the problem is, journalism (as a word) is too broad. 
SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By SonicFire

I think that gaming "journalism" always comes across as being pretentious when I hear the term used. A lot of the 1up/joystiq/former 1up guys discuss this topic a lot, and typically seem to vent the perspective that mere information is somehow useless in comparison with the spectre of "real" game journalism.

Does gaming journalism exist? Yes, it does. Robert Ashley's "a life well wasted" and many GamaSutra articles provide a nice cross section of the concept. But when I look a the publications and pieces that are heralded as journalistic, what I see is a lot of pretentious naval-gazing. It's not that gaming journalism is never done well, but it is never really extracted from the enthusiast press that spawns it. More to the point, it seems that everyone clamoring for journalistic excellence in gaming tends to come off as an elitist douche.

Seeing as you're not one of  those Steve, I think your argument is well stated.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Let's invent a new name for them. From now on Games Journalists will be known as Game Chazmooliers.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By oldschool

Journalism is in the toilet these days, so adding the word 'journalist' to anything isn't exactly high praise.  So many have stopped reporting and simply print what the politicians and big business pay them to.  I no longer read any form of print, except oddy enough - games magazines.

Trouble is, sorry to say it, but I don't consider them to be journalists.  I have no idea of their background and just see them as entertainment writers.  I certainly question the work they produce as it is mainly opinion.  I look for news and when I look for news, I want facts and opinion to be set aside and be seperate.  As soon as I see an opinion in news that indicates their personal bias, I stop reading.
cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By cinemandrew
@EpicSteve: Journalism is more than just getting the "hot scoop". If all you're going to be doing is reviewing games, then you could be called a game critic. However, if you want to write opinion pieces about the game industry, or similar topics, then you would be a journalist. I agree with MattyFTM though.

@MattyFTM said:
"From now on Games Journalists will be known as Game Chazmooliers. "
Done.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EpicSteve

Kind of off topic, but N’Gai Croal and Stephen Totilo recently had an interesting discussion involving journalism.
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/03/05/ngai-vs-stephen-rd-2-finale/

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By penguindust

I don't use the term "journalist" usually when describing any writer whose focus is the games industry.  It might be splitting hairs but I don't consider reporting rumors, doing reviews, writing previews and all the other stuff we see from the gaming press as journalism.  If there was in depth analysis or interviews with real depth, then I'd consider that journalism.  I've been told that The Edge Magazine does a lot of that type of actual journalism in their periodicals and I used to listen to a podcast that focused on the business of video games called Game Theory hosted by Colin Campbell, Gary Whitta and Jeremy Williams.  That show went much deeper into an analysis of video games as entertainment.  Most of the gaming press is satisfied with things like what do the graphics look like, what are the controls, and when is it coming out.  That's not journalism, that's reporting the press release.  I'm not dismissing it, however.  It is a very important part of the industry and it's what we all, as consumers, want to know.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By torus
@EpicSteve: What year are you at UC? I'm in DAAP.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EpicSteve
@torus said:
" @EpicSteve: What year are you at UC? I'm in DAAP. "
I'm not too sure. It's whenever I get back from overseas, most likely mid 2011.
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By torus

Heh,  I meant what grade will you be... Freshman, Sophomore, etc. XD

Maybe when you get back I'll buy you a beer.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EpicSteve
@torus said:
" Heh,  I meant what grade will you be... Freshman, Sophomore, etc. XD

Maybe when you get back I'll buy you a beer.
"
That would be cool. I would obviously be a Freshman. Only just graduated highschool. lol
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By giyanks22

It is, and I can say it enough steve...Thank you for your service. It means a lot to me as well as many others.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Illmatic

Yes, and I get really annoyed whenever I hear Garnet on ListenUp lament the fact that they are called game's journalists. You report on gaming news, you're a damn journalist. Sure you aren't traversing the war torn streets of Iraq to cover Modern Warfare 2 but you are still gathering info and (hopefully) facts and feeding it to an audience over some professional publication/site. You are a journalist. A man who directs a violence and tits movie is just as much of a director as the man who directs a movie concerning poverty in Africa. How serious the work they put out is is another story entirely.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Feanor

I don't think they should be called journalists just because they do more than that.  They are critics, journalists, entertainers all wrapped into one.  You have to realize there is not enough gaming news to be a full on reporter for it.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By artofwar420

English major? That's all I know about getting there.

GHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GHT

You can actually study journalism.

Anyway, to answer the topic title question, it depends on what you're talking about. Stephen Totillo (at least pre-kotaku) is someone whom I would call a game journalist. He writes editorials and does do the sort of networking and digging that any journalist has to do. Jeff, Ryan, Vinny and Brad are all people who I would say are gaming enthusiast writers. They review games, they write about game news, but for the most part they just relay press releases and discuss what they think of games; there isn't any real journalism going on. There are certainly writers who straddle the line between these worlds, and I'll allow them to be defined however they like, but this is the seperation I draw.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EpicSteve
@GHT said:
" You can actually study journalism.Anyway, to answer the topic title question, it depends on what you're talking about. Stephen Totillo (at least pre-kotaku) is someone whom I would call a game journalist. He writes editorials and does do the sort of networking and digging that any journalist has to do. Jeff, Ryan, Vinny and Brad are all people who I would say are gaming enthusiast writers. They review games, they write about game news, but for the most part they just relay press releases and discuss what they think of games; there isn't any real journalism going on. There are certainly writers who straddle the line between these worlds, and I'll allow them to be defined however they like, but this is the seperation I draw. "
That's what I was recently thinking. There's a weird divide among the gaming press. Those like Totillo, and N'Gai are more like journalists, than Giantbomb or 1up whom I may call Enthusiast Press.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PureRok

Nothing anyone does should be done with the idea of winning an award.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust
@PureRok said:
" Nothing anyone does should be done with the idea of winning an award. "
That makes no sense.  What about professional athletes or beauty pageant contestants?  People do stuff all the time with the idea of winning an award.  Everything from scholarships to work promotions can be considered awards and people work hard for those specific rewards.  It's nice to do things for the good work, after all some say a job well do is its own reward, but in truth getting recognition and the bonuses that go along with that are what drives people to do better. 
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PureRok
@PenguinDust: It makes sense to me, and that's what I live by. I hold no respect for people who do what they do for an award.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By penguindust
@PureRok:  You must hate the Olympics.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PureRok
@PenguinDust: I don't watch the Olympics.