amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Edited By amoremono1

..They sucked me back in.

Im talking about Metal Gear Solid. Until yesterday, I had played half of 1 and 4, and about a half hour each of 2 and 3. I honestly could not beleive the hype surrounding this series, and was baffled by the devotion of gamers to what I saw as Hideo Kojima's masturbatory opus.

Sorry, y'all. I was wrong.

Yesterday, I decided to give the game one last try. I figured that with such a convoluted story, Id have to start right at the beginning. Up until yesterday, Id only played MGS1 to the torture scene (a couple of times) and quit. Man, I was missing out. I ripped through the whole game, Im already halfway through 2 now, and I get it. I have a feeling I wont be playing anything else until Ive finished 2,3,4 and portable ops.....This is the epic story Ive been looking for in a game, and it was right under my nose.

I may still think the story gets a little self-serving and heavy-handed, but **** its good.....

amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By amoremono1

..They sucked me back in.

Im talking about Metal Gear Solid. Until yesterday, I had played half of 1 and 4, and about a half hour each of 2 and 3. I honestly could not beleive the hype surrounding this series, and was baffled by the devotion of gamers to what I saw as Hideo Kojima's masturbatory opus.

Sorry, y'all. I was wrong.

Yesterday, I decided to give the game one last try. I figured that with such a convoluted story, Id have to start right at the beginning. Up until yesterday, Id only played MGS1 to the torture scene (a couple of times) and quit. Man, I was missing out. I ripped through the whole game, Im already halfway through 2 now, and I get it. I have a feeling I wont be playing anything else until Ive finished 2,3,4 and portable ops.....This is the epic story Ive been looking for in a game, and it was right under my nose.

I may still think the story gets a little self-serving and heavy-handed, but **** its good.....

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

You didn't like MGS until the torture scene? What about Psycho Mantis?

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3  Edited By Cerza

Glad you are finally enjoying it.

amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By amoremono1

To be honest, at first I thought Psycho Mantis was a little gimmicky, although that fight, Sniper Wolf and Vulcan Raven were the high points for me.  I just couldnt get past the windy codec conversations and what to me seems to be Kojima's prioritization of his narrative over gameplay.  Its a funny attitude for me, because I love alot of old RPG's that are every bit as windy.  Ok, Ill admit that once I quit because I hadnt saved in a long time, and the torture killed me...... 

I dont know exactly what changed; I was just ready to take the game for what it is.  It definitely does pick up steam quite a bit after the torture scene, and that helped.....I think my initial dislike may have something to do with all the hype surrounding the games; Im sometimes one to dislike over-hyped anything until it dies down.....

Edit: I also have developed a taste for stealth in games, which I previously detested.  Thats important.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#5  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I have played the first half of MGS4 to death, but I still cannot make it past the "follow the civilian" level.  My vision and color-blindness suck badly, both of which end up being hugely problematic in that level.  Sooner or later, I'll get someone to help me out with it, but in the meantime, man, I'm stuck.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

Whenever I get a PS3, the first game I buy will be MGS4. I must continue my love / hate relationship with this series having played them all, never completing any.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By The_A_Drain

I hated the original, but I respected it immensely.

The sequel I was totally prepared to enjoy, until Raiden took over and I wanted to cave my own head in with a rusty pipe. Utterly utterly despised 2. I still don't know why I own both the PS2 AND Xbox versions of it.

Stupidly, I waited a long time before bothering to give Snake Eater a go, boy did I regret it, I loved every single second of that game and played it inside and out. Imo it's the best thing the franchise has ever put out (With AC!D coming second, but I have a soft spot for card games)

So i'm kinda apprehensive about 4, I will probably hate it, but i'm really hoping I will love it. I will play it when I eventually get a PS3 probably early next year.

Peace Walker intrigues me greatly as well, I really liked Portable Ops and if this one has a proper story, I will probably enjoy it a lot.