• 70 results
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Karl_Boss

I think the amount of attention Kevin Van Ord is getting proves that he is a talented reviewer.....you may not agree with or like his review but you have to admit the man is talented at what he does.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By pause422
quezcatol said:
"Kevin sucks.

he gave Lost odyssey 7.5,Blue dragon a 6,Too Human a 5.5 and Mass effect 8.5
If he like to be harsh and way under gamerankings then fine but dont be bias about it you dumbfuck,MGs4 10/10?

ye right,."
funny, it seems for the most part you're just mad those Xbox exclusive games got scores under what you wanted, and are crying that a PS3 title got a better one... but thats just me I guess mr. master chief.

Honestly though..don't you people realize reviews, regardless of who is doing them, are just that persons opinions mainly? I mean Jesus..if you think the game should of scored lower/higher that you're bitching about...rent it yourself, or go ahead and buy it and enjoy it yourself, peoples opinions and reviews need to stop getting under peoples skin so much..if you were the developer of the game thats getting a shitty score..then feeling bad may be justified, but you're not.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Rowr
guiseppe said:
"I haven't had much difficulties with KVO's reviews, if anything I feel that they are a tad too personal at times and it's sometimes hard to make the "should I or shouldn't I" call from them. That said though, the only time where I've strongly disagreed with him is the Assassin's Creed review."
Funnily enough i think this is the only high profile review he has done that i agree with.
Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#54  Edited By Oni

I agree with most of the dude's reviews actually, Too Human being the major exception. Last good reviewer over at GS. Gets too much flak.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Pibo47
Jeff said:
"MattBodega said:
"Keven Van Ord is humanity's last, best hope for progress. He's probably one of the best game critics out there now.
I would like to second this. It was a pleasure working with Kevin because you always knew any review he turned in was well-considered and well-written. Seriously, dude is solid and definitely deserves more respect than he seems to be getting lately. You might not always agree with everything he has to say, but that doesn't make him wrong, either.
(And I'm in the middle of writing a Force Unleashed review right now, in case you're wondering. Should be up today.)
"
I would like the 3rd this. People, Van Ord is a great reviewer, i put him up there with the Jeff's because of one thing, HE'S HONEST!
SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By SSbabel

I dont like his style either he comes across like a fiend, craving the sweet nectar of approval from gamers, shame on you kevin shame on you.

jlaudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By jlaudio7

7.5?! guess what? *BLAP BLAP BLAP BLAP BLAP*

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Lemegeton

K to the V to the O is one of only 2 guys left at Gamespot that i respect. Aaron Thomas being the other one.
I read the review and i thought it was ok and i thought he explained the games shortcomings nicely

The_Shame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By The_Shame

How DARE he have his own opinion!

Whats the deal? He points out what he likes and what he doesnt like....so....its quite a clear review.  Maybe people need to not focus so much on scores...

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By Hamz
The_Shame said:
"How DARE he have his own opinion!

Whats the deal? He points out what he likes and what he doesnt like....so....its quite a clear review.  Maybe people need to not focus so much on scores..."
Must resist the urge to rant about people focusing on review scores and not the review text!

But in all honesty Kevin Van Ord is a quality, no...a TOP quality reviewer and as i said in my previous post in this topic i have never had issue with one of his reviews. Infact if i'm being honest i think reviewers are not harsh enough with their reviews, their a little to kind at times.
Kaido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By Kaido

I'm ashamed to say I don't particularly like Kevin Van0rd's reviews. My grudge probably has more to do with the ghastly '0' with which he spells his Surname.

I don't know, he seems to lack the conciseness or coherence I usually look for in reviews. I've got no problem with the guy personally; he just seems to write some bizarre reviews.

I'm reminded of the MGS4 fiasco. Last time I checked, the motif for most consumer advice (Please, don't quote me on this) is to write based on a specified audience's interests. I don't think MGS4's redundant, nethertheless engrossing, dialogue would appeal to most Action players- kind of makes my mind boggle to think that it was so highly recommended without that in mind. Plus, around the time that Assassin's Creed came out, he didn't seem to elaborate on the amount of repetition involved (Something which has been highlighted since).

I don't dislike the guy, but he's hardly my favourite reviewer. Besides, I try not to take notice of Gamespot since the fiasco, lest we speak of it; I'm a sucker for nostalgia and I sure do miss the good ol' days.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Randolph

^^ Repetition is present in every videogame known to man.  Assassins Creed has a lack of variety, you can't knock one game for doing the same thing over and over, when mega popular games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero get a free pass despite being, at the core, you doing the exact same thing over and over.  The repetition critique makes no sense.  No game is free of it, never has been, never will be.

Kaido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Kaido

In all fairness, I was just alluding to majority opinion (Including a good portion of the Games Press), but I suppose now that we're on the subject:

While I will admit that fundamentally every game has some repetition, Assassin's Creed is hardly exempt from criticism with the variety in regards to this repetition. Sure, Rock Band and Guitar Hero does have a pretty generic process [Select Character > Select Song > Mash buttons until Carpal Tunnel sets in] but atleast you have the expansive set list, the variety in customisation and the challenging modes that enhance the gameplay.

From what I can recall, Assassin's Creed had three mini-games (Eavesdropping, interrogation and stalking) that repeated excessively over the course of each assassination which was a requirement to proceed.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ZeroCast

I don't like or dislike his reviews, i just believe he is the last person on Gamespot that can write reviews Professionally and Honestly

Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Hulk

Kevin is a good reviewer that Hulk thinks catches heat because he's seen as "The guy that replaced Jeff."  Which is unfair to him and not something he had a hand in.  He's an objective reviewer that you may or may not disagree with but above all he's a really nice and respectful guy that has done nothing to deservedly incite hate.

Avatar image for alucardalacarte
AlucardaLaCarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66  Edited By AlucardaLaCarte

He also mentioned the story being great, which frankly is worth the price of admission with how little great storytelling we've had with SW lately.

Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Ma7moud

Kevin is actually the best reviewer at GS right now. 7.5 is is pretty good score for TFU and the review is very well written.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By zitosilva
Hulk said:
"Kevin is a good reviewer that Hulk thinks catches heat because he's seen as "The guy that replaced Jeff."  Which is unfair to him and not something he had a hand in.  He's an objective reviewer that you may or may not disagree with but above all he's a really nice and respectful guy that has done nothing to deservedly incite hate."
Whoa. For someone who speaks in the third person, Hulk can be incredibly articulate.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zitosilva said:
"Hulk said:
"Kevin is a good reviewer that Hulk thinks catches heat because he's seen as "The guy that replaced Jeff."  Which is unfair to him and not something he had a hand in.  He's an objective reviewer that you may or may not disagree with but above all he's a really nice and respectful guy that has done nothing to deservedly incite hate."
Whoa. For someone who speaks in the third person, Hulk can be incredibly articulate."

Maybe it's the Grey Hulk
Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Hulk
zitosilva said:
"Hulk said:
Whoa. For someone who speaks in the third person, Hulk can be incredibly articulate."
Hulk not dumb!
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Milkman

And Giant Bomb gives it even lower score. TC must be crying himself to sleep. And yes, Kevin Van Ord is a great reviewer. Just because he works at GameSpot doesn't make him "evil".

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72  Edited By whackmypinata
AlucardaLaCarte said:
"He also mentioned the story being great, which frankly is worth the price of admission with how little great storytelling we've had with SW lately."
So paying $65 for a story is worth it?