Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Edited By Video_Game_King
No Caption Provided

Tecmo's Deception

(This seems a rather appropriate continuation of last week.) What better way to follow up a torturous game and a torturous blog than with a game where you needlessly torture people? And that's just scratching the surface. Remember how The Last Story tried to tell a good story, but absolutely failed? And how the gameplay wasn't as fun as it could be? Well, Deception is just the opposite: the story is better than it has any right to be, and the mechanics actually manage to be fun.

But you know, the two games actually share quite a few key similarities....OK, they don't; I'm just trying to transition into the fairy tale story. (When did this blog turn into a comparison against The Last Story?) You're going to see a lot of heroes trying to slay an ancient evil and poor forest men trying to buy medicine for their sick daughters, mainly because you're going to kill every single last one of them. All because you want to resurrect Satan. Fucking psychotic, right? Well, that's part of what makes the story so great: you get a glimpse into a person's life, and then end it two seconds later.

Bitches be lovin' my Gilbert Gottfried references.

Oh, and the subtleties. They're all kinds of awesome, too. Can't forget those. Remember how I compared this to a fairy tale earlier? Well, that's not doing it justice, given how deep it can be. For instance, the main character gets some great characterization without ever saying a damn word. (This is called the Personaeffect.) Every couple of chapters or so, there's going to be a character there to remind you about how you used to be a good person and you shouldn't be killing all these people! Why are you doing this!? But it's too late. You've already given your soul to Satan, so defend yourself you must! What? I didn't mention that, did I? See, you're never really attacking anybody; it's all defense. Everybody's coming to your mansion either to kill you or grant their deepest desires, and it never ends well. In short, the real bad guy is humanity. It's almost frightening how good the story is, and given that this is a vaguely horror-themed game, that only makes it more frightening!

Speaking of frightening, the gameplay. It's not frightening at all. What? You expected a game like this to be frightening? It's more like a Looney Tunes cartoon, if anything. Specifically, Sylvester and Speedy Gonzales, because this is a game of cat and mouse. A game of cat and mouse with wonky path finding and enemies that evade everything you throw at them, but a fun game nonetheless. I don't know what it is, but there's just something very satisfying about figuring out how your invaders are going to behave and then manipulating the hell out of that. Maybe it's that each trap results in a humorous cartoony reaction (victims will actually look down before they fall into a pit). Whatever. It just works.

Shouldn't you be chasing fairies or whatever the hell it was?

Of course, there's more to the game than killing things with pits. So, so much more. You can kill things with giant foots, kill things with bombs, kill things with fiery castration, and sometimes, you can even opt not to kill things. Crazy, right? Why the fuck would you ever do that? Huh? You can make monsters and shit? Yea, I guess, but it's very easy to into either only killing or only capturing. I went with killing, mainly because murder pays more. But don't take that to mean there isn't any strategy to the game anymore. Keep in mind that you still have multiple ways to kill a guy, meaning you have to figure out which way's the best. Maybe that knight will dodge your giant weight, and that alien (yes, this game has aliens, for some reason) will jump over your pit to slap you in your bitch face. That's where the fun lies.......The planning part, not the part where you get slapped in your bitch face. That's not very fun.

Speaking of not very fun, here's the part where I outline the flaws. Mainly, the mechanics. Yes, it's an enjoyable game, but it's not an enjoyable game to play, if that makes any sense. For example, actually trapping your enemies. I know I've mentioned the path-finding and their evasion, but simply selecting the trap isn't as good as it could be. It didn't happen too often, but more often than I'd have preferred, I ended up selecting the wrong trap and watching it claim the life of nothing. A simple cursor for this first person perspective could have alleviated the issue. Can't say that for the difficulty later in the game, though. Near the end, you're gonna acquire A LOT of MP for trap-making, which sort of destroys any consequence for fucking up a trap. Did they evade? No problem! Just go to the nearest strategy room and lay some more. Then watch as your foes get crushed to death and let the walls fondle them into submission. Wait, what was I complaining about, again?

Review Synopsis

• So it's been established that Tecmo can write a good story. Why couldn't they do it when it actually mattered?
  • It's the world's cruelest tower defense game!
  • Only in first person. Fuck.

Instead of a video that's consistent with the blog's theme (because I don't have one), here's somebody telling Sword of Seals to go fuck itself.

Haunting Starring Polterguy

(The only thing scary about this game is how it beat Deception to the punch by almost three years.) I'd say that this also applies to how Deception is, by far, the better game, but that's more mildly interesting than anything. Hell, a lot of games are better than Haunting. Haunting is what happens when you take Deception and remove the story, the strategy, the variety, any semblance of likability, and, indeed, anything even approaching the concept of quality.

The game begins with a spectral buttrash harassing a family of Garbage Pail Rejects, and this is where a lot of my hatred for this game lies. Not the game's aesthetic (although it seriously sucks Polterguy-inflamed ass), but rather, how needlessly antagonistic the protagonist is. He honestly has no goddamn reason for scaring these motherfuckers. What did they ever do to him? The game never answers that (even though it promised as much), so my best guess is "absolutely nothing". Now I know what you're thinking: maybe he's defending himself from them, somehow. Well, that excuse fails to hold up when the family moves away multiple times, and each time, he follows them to their new house simply to be an unjustified asshole to them. And I'm supposed to sympathize with this "gnarly" brosef? What the fuck, EA!?

BEHOLD THE GRAPHICAL FORTITUDE OF THE SEGA GENESIS!

Are you thinking that the gameplay can redeem this horrible mess? You, sir, are a paradox, for if you truly think that, you don't have the capacity for thought. Like Deception, you move from room to room, setting traps for your unwitting victims; unlike Deception, there's absolutely no goddamn strategy to it. Every level (all four of them) devolve to finding a family member, activating every fucking object in the room without limit or consequence, waiting for them to run out, and then following them into the next room to repeat the process. It's less fun than it sounds. This is partly because the traps are just plain dull, but also because the Garbage Pail Rejects never do what you want them to do. You want them to leave the house, but with absolutely no way to influence where they run, it devolves into jumping from room to room, hoping they go where you want them to go, brute forcing every option you can find and has it gotten through to you yet how terrible this game is?

For whatever reason, though, that's not enough. From time to time, you get sent to the underworld, because this game wants to believe that there are limits or systems in place. But what does the underworld entail? Running around, collecting ecto-splooge until the game decides you can get back to the....parts. (I was tempted to call them "fun" parts, but I've too much a conscience to commit such an atrocity.) Does that sound boring and unnecessary? Well, that's because it is boring and unnecessary. What do these sections add to the game? Besides time?....Precisely. And while I'm on the subject, the game ends with you fighting a demonic reincarnation of the family dog, because that makes sense. That's something that fits within the game's narrative and the gameplay. You'd have to be crazy to think it's a bullshit tactic from a desperate game! Actually, you know what? This may very well be the first time I found a game whose obscurity is fully justified. In fact, I'm certain the only person who will remember this game is, when it comes time to write up my GOTY blog.

Review Synopsis

• You know, for such a cheerful and "spooky" game, the protagonist sure is a terrible person.
  • Have you ever wanted to terrorize a middle class family by pressing A a bunch? No? Then you've passed the psychological exam I've embedded in this blog!
  • And to break up the monotony of wandering around, you'll occasionally....wander around!
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Video_Game_King
No Caption Provided

Tecmo's Deception

(This seems a rather appropriate continuation of last week.) What better way to follow up a torturous game and a torturous blog than with a game where you needlessly torture people? And that's just scratching the surface. Remember how The Last Story tried to tell a good story, but absolutely failed? And how the gameplay wasn't as fun as it could be? Well, Deception is just the opposite: the story is better than it has any right to be, and the mechanics actually manage to be fun.

But you know, the two games actually share quite a few key similarities....OK, they don't; I'm just trying to transition into the fairy tale story. (When did this blog turn into a comparison against The Last Story?) You're going to see a lot of heroes trying to slay an ancient evil and poor forest men trying to buy medicine for their sick daughters, mainly because you're going to kill every single last one of them. All because you want to resurrect Satan. Fucking psychotic, right? Well, that's part of what makes the story so great: you get a glimpse into a person's life, and then end it two seconds later.

Oh, and the subtleties. They're all kinds of awesome, too. Can't forget those. Remember how I compared this to a fairy tale earlier? Well, that's not doing it justice, given how deep it can be. For instance, the main character gets some great characterization without ever saying a damn word. (This is called the Personaeffect.) Every couple of chapters or so, there's going to be a character there to remind you about how you used to be a good person and you shouldn't be killing all these people! Why are you doing this!? But it's too late. You've already given your soul to Satan, so defend yourself you must! What? I didn't mention that, did I? See, you're never really attacking anybody; it's all defense. Everybody's coming to your mansion either to kill you or grant their deepest desires, and it never ends well. In short, the real bad guy is humanity. It's almost frightening how good the story is, and given that this is a vaguely horror-themed game, that only makes it more frightening!

Speaking of frightening, the gameplay. It's not frightening at all. What? You expected a game like this to be frightening? It's more like a Looney Tunes cartoon, if anything. Specifically, Sylvester and Speedy Gonzales, because this is a game of cat and mouse. A game of cat and mouse with wonky path finding and enemies that evade everything you throw at them, but a fun game nonetheless. I don't know what it is, but there's just something very satisfying about figuring out how your invaders are going to behave and then manipulating the hell out of that. Maybe it's that each trap results in a humorous cartoony reaction (victims will actually look down before they fall into a pit). Whatever. It just works.

Of course, there's more to the game than killing things with pits. So, so much more. You can kill things with giant foots, kill things with bombs, kill things with fiery castration, and sometimes, you can even opt not to kill things. Crazy, right? Why the fuck would you ever do that? Huh? You can make monsters and shit? Yea, I guess, but it's very easy to into either only killing or only capturing. I went with killing, mainly because murder pays more. But don't take that to mean there isn't any strategy to the game anymore. Keep in mind that you still have multiple ways to kill a guy, meaning you have to figure out which way's the best. Maybe that knight will dodge your giant weight, and that alien (yes, this game has aliens, for some reason) will jump over your pit to slap you in your bitch face. That's where the fun lies.......The planning part, not the part where you get slapped in your bitch face. That's not very fun.

Speaking of not very fun, here's the part where I outline the flaws. Mainly, the mechanics. Yes, it's an enjoyable game, but it's not an enjoyable game to play, if that makes any sense. For example, actually trapping your enemies. I know I've mentioned the path-finding and their evasion, but simply selecting the trap isn't as good as it could be. It didn't happen too often, but more often than I'd have preferred, I ended up selecting the wrong trap and watching it claim the life of nothing. A simple cursor for this first person perspective could have alleviated the issue. Can't say that for the difficulty later in the game, though. Near the end, you're gonna acquire A LOT of MP for trap-making, which sort of destroys any consequence for fucking up a trap. Did they evade? No problem! Just go to the nearest strategy room and lay some more. Then watch as your foes get crushed to death and let the walls fondle them into submission. Wait, what was I complaining about, again?

Review Synopsis

• So it's been established that Tecmo can write a good story. Why couldn't they do it when it actually mattered?
  • It's the world's cruelest tower defense game!
  • Only in first person. Fuck.

Instead of a video that's consistent with the blog's theme (because I don't have one), here's somebody telling Sword of Seals to go fuck itself.

Haunting Starring Polterguy

(The only thing scary about this game is how it beat Deception to the punch by almost three years.) I'd say that this also applies to how Deception is, by far, the better game, but that's more mildly interesting than anything. Hell, a lot of games are better than Haunting. Haunting is what happens when you take Deception and remove the story, the strategy, the variety, any semblance of likability, and, indeed, anything even approaching the concept of quality.

The game begins with a spectral buttrash harassing a family of Garbage Pail Rejects, and this is where a lot of my hatred for this game lies. Not the game's aesthetic (although it seriously sucks Polterguy-inflamed ass), but rather, how needlessly antagonistic the protagonist is. He honestly has no goddamn reason for scaring these motherfuckers. What did they ever do to him? The game never answers that (even though it promised as much), so my best guess is "absolutely nothing". Now I know what you're thinking: maybe he's defending himself from them, somehow. Well, that excuse fails to hold up when the family moves away multiple times, and each time, he follows them to their new house simply to be an unjustified asshole to them. And I'm supposed to sympathize with this "gnarly" brosef? What the fuck, EA!?

Are you thinking that the gameplay can redeem this horrible mess? You, sir, are a paradox, for if you truly think that, you don't have the capacity for thought. Like Deception, you move from room to room, setting traps for your unwitting victims; unlike Deception, there's absolutely no goddamn strategy to it. Every level (all four of them) devolve to finding a family member, activating every fucking object in the room without limit or consequence, waiting for them to run out, and then following them into the next room to repeat the process. It's less fun than it sounds. This is partly because the traps are just plain dull, but also because the Garbage Pail Rejects never do what you want them to do. You want them to leave the house, but with absolutely no way to influence where they run, it devolves into jumping from room to room, hoping they go where you want them to go, brute forcing every option you can find and has it gotten through to you yet how terrible this game is?

For whatever reason, though, that's not enough. From time to time, you get sent to the underworld, because this game wants to believe that there are limits or systems in place. But what does the underworld entail? Running around, collecting ecto-splooge until the game decides you can get back to the....parts. (I was tempted to call them "fun" parts, but I've too much a conscience to commit such an atrocity.) Does that sound boring and unnecessary? Well, that's because it is boring and unnecessary. What do these sections add to the game? Besides time?....Precisely. And while I'm on the subject, the game ends with you fighting a demonic reincarnation of the family dog, because that makes sense. That's something that fits within the game's narrative and the gameplay. You'd have to be crazy to think it's a bullshit tactic from a desperate game! Actually, you know what? This may very well be the first time I found a game whose obscurity is fully justified. In fact, I'm certain the only person who will remember this game is, when it comes time to write up my GOTY blog.

Review Synopsis

• You know, for such a cheerful and "spooky" game, the protagonist sure is a terrible person.
  • Have you ever wanted to terrorize a middle class family by pressing A a bunch? No? Then you've passed the psychological exam I've embedded in this blog!
  • And to break up the monotony of wandering around, you'll occasionally....wander around!
Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

@Video_Game_King:

Have you ever wanted to terrorize a middle class family by pressing A a bunch? No? Then you've passed the psychological exam I've embedded in this blog!

I'm pretty sure I failed that. a a a a a a a a a a a a ...

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#3  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Yeah, Haunting is the original Ghost Trick. For a middling game, that central gimmick was kind of neat and it took a while for other games to take the same concept and do it better. I seem to recall a cartoonish 2D Indie game that had the same "scare everyone off" premise, but I'll be darned if I can remember what it was called.

Deception, conversely, nailed its gimmick on the first try and each of its sequels are slightly worse in some way. I played Trapt a few years ago, and while it's not too bad it really doesn't add much to the Deception template.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

#4  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I remember really wanting to play Deception. The ShopKo we used to frequent always had it in their bargain bin, and it always looked appealing. But unfortunately, it fell into a brief period of time in my life when my parents still regulated what games I could buy, and that was a big no-no. In retrospect, I'm glad they cared enough to say no to those things. Makes me wonder if the little shits around these parts would be better kids if their parents actually cared enough to say no.

Fuck. I'm hung over and rambling. Good stuff, King.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Ravenlight said:

@Video_Game_King:

Have you ever wanted to terrorize a middle class family by pressing A a bunch? No? Then you've passed the psychological exam I've embedded in this blog!

I'm pretty sure I failed that. a a a a a a a a a a a a ...

Don't worry. There's probably another psychological test out there that consists of nothing but this premise. Unfortunately, YouTube doesn't have a video of The Simpsons doing just that, so here's this, instead:

@Mento said:

Deception, conversely, nailed its gimmick on the first try and each of its sequels are slightly worse in some way.

I'll probably still blog about them at some point. Did you see that video above? I HAVE NO SHAME!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Ravenlight

@Video_Game_King said:

[uncanny valley horrowshow]

You really get off on the torture stuff, huh?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Ravenlight:

As this blog demonstrates, about 50/50.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mento  Moderator

To be honest, that might be the first Vocaloid video I've seen that was less creepy/weird than the original song's music video.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Mento:

You've seen the original?

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mento  Moderator

@Video_Game_King: What, this monstrosity? 'Fraid so. And now so have all of you:

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Mento:

I can't tell what's worse. The visual assault that is your video, or the sunburned Narukami in mine.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Video_Game_King said:

@Mento:

I can't tell what's worse. The visual assault that is your video, or the sunburned Narukami in mine.

Yours. I actually like the original video.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ImmortalSaiyan:

Then to make up for it, here's this video:

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Video_Game_King: Now, that I can get behind.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I've seen Deception in a local used game store several times. Maybe I'll have to take a look at it once I get home for the holidays. Also, warp staff abuse is way less fun in Fire Emblem games where Warp has a limited range. Yet another reason why I think Thracia 776 is probably my favorite in the series.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#16  Edited By pyromagnestir

Haunting Starring Polterguy is a classic! You, sir, can go to hell!

(OK... Now that I've calmed down, it's time for some real talk: I bought a copy of the game a month ago because I remembered playing it whenever I went to my aunt and uncle's house as a kid and really liking it. I haven't played it since I got it. The concept seems a little like a precursor for Ghost Trick, only without a story justifying anything. But when I was little I liked tormenting the family and seeing what the stuff you could jump into to torment them did. Maybe I'll play it some tonight. Although I'd rather keep playing Binary Domain. But you're definitely wrong about that last part. I'll remember what this game is, sir, and I'll not forget this besmirching of it's reputation as well...)

(although if you could help me out with a good music cue for that last bit I'd be much obliged. Perhaps something foreboding.)

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

@pyromagnestir said:

I remembered playing it whenever I went to my aunt and uncle's house as a kid and really liking it.

Kids are stupid.

(although if you could help me out with a good music cue for that last bit I'd be much obliged. Perhaps something foreboding.)

Here you go.

Avatar image for living4theday258
living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By living4theday258

@Video_Game_King said:

No Caption Provided

i like Mario's new throne.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#20  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Video_Game_King:

I think in my case it has more to do with the fact that I just enjoy tormenting people.