• 81 results
#1 Posted by RazielCuts (2925 posts) -

How much do we love Vinny and was disappointed by his non existence on the PAX panel? (other than brown...yeah...that means the butt secs)

Maybe he was shy or whatevs but I wanted more of the Vinster in full effect, even Ryan was trying to open Vinny up by going up to him and saying 'Hey whats up?'. I think he was more open in last PAX's but maybe thats just me.

Things changed since then? He has a Maximo baby....(he must be defeated)

Jeff was on full form though, I'm cutting 40c in a guys chest just as my gang sign from now on.

#2 Posted by Maginnovision (484 posts) -

I think he said enough. Him and Brad were quieter but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Could have, maybe, used more cunts from him though.

#3 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

If the panel was two hours long we might have heard more out of him.

#4 Posted by RazielCuts (2925 posts) -

I was just listening to the latest QL Mark of the Ninja and the bombast and Vinster is one of the loudest (and funniest) to get out there.

Just seemed when he has to 'do it live' he clams up :(

#5 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3740 posts) -

People need to relax with Vinny. I love him but he has other duties on the site and as far as the panel you can tell he was just laying low and he's a bit shy. Nothing wrong with that. There's a reason Brad went to drink before the panel, and I'm sure I'd be doing the same.

#6 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1232 posts) -

It was a short panel so they couldn't get around to everyone. Glad there was a long Q and A section and that Jeff told the 40 cents story. I laughed so hard at that part!

#7 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Well he is usually a behind the camera guy most of the time. He's a quiet comedy genius that only unleashes it on occasion.

#8 Posted by Milkman (16519 posts) -

Disappointed with his showing? Sometimes I think people forget that these guys aren't comedians.

#9 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

No, no, no. You cannot be disappointed by him, Vinny is disappointed by you.

#10 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

@Milkman said:

Disappointed with his showing? Sometimes I think people forget that these guys aren't comedians.

indeed. These dudes are video game nerd journos who also happen to do live shows for their rabidly loyal fan base. Keep your expectations in check, peeps!

#11 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

The fuck is wrong with you?

#12 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

@Milkman said:

This! Keep the second part in mind at all times during the Giant Bomb experience.

#13 Posted by JasonR86 (9605 posts) -

He might have been nervous. They were talking to a big audience who were hanging on their every word. It would be a bit nerve-wracking.

#14 Posted by The_Nubster (2046 posts) -

Dude's a dad now. I bet he hasn't had time to sit down and turn off since his son came home. PAX is that chance. He didn't want to talk much, so what? He isn't a celebrity or a rock star. So long as he isn't a cunt, I don't mind.

#15 Edited by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

Can we go a day without one thread complaining, hand-wringing or voicing disappointment about some aspect of the site or staff? Just one fucking day? I swear to god, it seems like the past couple months have been nothing but people bitching about one thing or another - premium content, quick looks, the Bombcast is boring, Alex said this, Vinny didn't do that; don't you people have better things to do than get all bent out of shape about a video game website?

I apologize in advance for the annoyance a lack of sleep and abundance of pain pills has caused in me, but fuck all y'all regardless.

#16 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

Didn't he start having his weird ear problems or whatever at pax?

#17 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -
#18 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Ain't nothing wrong with being quiet. Having to speak in front of what? 150-200 people can be a daunting task.

#19 Posted by Bocam (3670 posts) -

Brad (and Vinny) have said they're nervous during the PAX panels before.

@iAmJohn Why do you care about what people complain about? It doesn't affect you.

#20 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

man if i was on a panel like that, with hundreds of people all looking at me, listening like that. i'd freak out and have a panic attack.

just saying.

#21 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@Bocam: A better question is: Why do you care about what justifiable thing I choose to mock people for?

#22 Posted by Nephrahim (1118 posts) -

I don't really get when people are upset that someone talked too much or too little in one of the bombcast things. Everyone talks as much as THEY want to.

#23 Posted by Bocam (3670 posts) -
@iAmJohn Cause I have nothing better to do at the moment.
#24 Posted by The_Nubster (2046 posts) -

@Bocam said:

@iAmJohn Cause I have nothing better to do at the moment.

This is a solid answer for literally everything.

#25 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

He couldve just been really tired from filming all day and he mightve had video editing on his mind.  Its not really a big deal though.  

#26 Posted by RazielCuts (2925 posts) -

@iAmJohn: I made this thread at 3 o clock in the morning after a night out (which is why I repeatedly called him 'vinster' *cringe*) but yeah, this wasn't even complaining, I"M getting sick every fucking defence force cock COMPLAINING about the about of complaining that's going on. These are forums attached to a personality driven site, if things about the site yay or nay aren't allowed to talk about that then what's the point in the forums?

#27 Posted by Baillie (4032 posts) -

@iAmJohn: You need to start looking at the context. It's pretty obvious that Vinny is his favourite staff member and was a little disappointed in not seeing more of him. I'd hardly call that complaining, more gushing. Vinny ia awesome.

#28 Edited by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

@RazielCuts: I feel your over-reacting. Yes, Vinny was not up to the standard that poeple would expect from typical Bombcast appearances but I'm sure the lack of sleep that having a baby involves would do that to anybody. It's just an interesting situation for him because of how unique this job is, in that it's quite emtionally demanding and has a lot of spectators that expect ( Perhaps rightfully so, if you're a paying member) excellence everytime. Just an off day in my opinion that was unfortunate enough to coincide with PAX. Also you have to take into account Vinny has more responsibility when it comes to events like this than Jeff or Ryan as his job also includes the production and equipment setup aspect.

#29 Posted by RazielCuts (2925 posts) -

@Dylabaloo: I feel the responses to this thread have been an over reaction. It simply was 'Hey anyone else disappointed by the lack of Vinny on the GB panel?' no need for the 'he was tried' 'there's no games out' 'they just moved' defences, I get that, was just saying it was unfortunate he wasn't on his blue collar endearing A game the community love him for. There was 'no fuck giantbomb, I'm unsubbing' anger behind it. He was probably drowned out by the bigger personalities at the show ala Ryan and Jeff because they really brung it.

#30 Posted by Damodar (1301 posts) -

Awful lot of defensiveness in here.

I agree that I wish Vinny had said more during the panel. That's in no way a diss on Vinny and doesn't need any response explaining why he was fairly quiet due to nerves or lack of sleep or whatever. It's nothing more than me saying that I always enjoy Vinbro and any opportunity to get a laugh out of his antics is a welcome one.

#31 Posted by GnomeonFire (696 posts) -

I didn't mind, Jeff was on fire (maybe literally if the panel went a little longer).

#32 Posted by face15 (1274 posts) -

I agree. Would have been nice to hear a bit more from Vinny. But nonetheless Ryan and Jeff and to a lesser extent Patrick were killing it. Really, really entertaining.

#33 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

You could say the same thing about Brad and, to a lesser extent, Patrick. Ryan and Jeff pretty much took charge of the whole thing. Not that I'm complaining too much about that, it was a funny panel. I kinda agree though and it would've been nice if it was a little more like a Bombcast with more input from everyone.

#34 Posted by Ares42 (2573 posts) -

It's pretty simple. Giantbomb only has 2 people that are really "in front of the camera" guys, Ryan and Jeff. Brad, Vinny and Patrick have more of a radio personality. There's a reason why the bombcast is such a major feature of the site, and that quick looks only show the game and not the commentators.

#35 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Its always been my strong impression that Brad and Vinny are quieter than Jeff, Ryan and Patrick. When the panel was over and I got to meet Vinny it was an awesome experience. I think if the panel was two hours long he'd have a lot more things to say and talk about but that's just me.

#36 Posted by AlexW00d (6182 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

Can we go a day without one thread complaining, hand-wringing or voicing disappointment about some aspect of the site or staff? Just one fucking day? I swear to god, it seems like the past couple months have been nothing but people bitching about one thing or another - premium content, quick looks, the Bombcast is boring, Alex said this, Vinny didn't do that; don't you people have better things to do than get all bent out of shape about a video game website?

I apologize in advance for the annoyance a lack of sleep and abundance of pain pills has caused in me, but fuck all y'all regardless.

I love how you're just bitching about people bitching.

#37 Posted by Humanity (8802 posts) -

I think he was just admiring how off the handle Jeff was during that entire event.

After that one disastrous fans question when Jeff blatantly said "Ok can we have an actual question now thank you" it had me rolling.

#38 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

I agree the lack of backflips was disappointing.

#39 Posted by cthomer5000 (743 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

I was just listening to the latest QL Mark of the Ninja and the bombast and Vinster is one of the loudest (and funniest) to get out there. Just seemed when he has to 'do it live' he clams up :(

What is your problem?

#40 Posted by RazielCuts (2925 posts) -

@cthomer5000: I don't have a 'problem' per se but if I were to I think it was pretty well summed up in that quote you mentioned.

#41 Posted by sevenLiter (110 posts) -

Along with what others have pointed out, I think the nature of the PAX panel is just not conducive to Vinny's sense of humor. It's too loud, it's too fast, and it's... dumb. I've never liked PAX - It's a frat party for game nerds.

#42 Posted by StarvingGamer (7991 posts) -

He was having weird inner-ear problems that made him feel like he was constantly leaning/falling that he was freaking out about. Seriously WTF is this thread.

#43 Posted by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

Jeff and Ryan were on fire, there really wasn't room for anyone else... This thread is weird, disappointed by Vinny? Get out of here.

#44 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@Milkman said:

Or celebrities of any kind. This site is fucking weird like that.

#45 Posted by Hailinel (23868 posts) -

@MideonNViscera said:

@Milkman said:

Or celebrities of any kind. This site is fucking weird like that.

It's the cost of running a personality-driven website. You get users that become far too attached to the personalities involved.

#46 Posted by Zlimness (541 posts) -

@Zaccheus said:

Jeff and Ryan were on fire, there really wasn't room for anyone else... This thread is weird, disappointed by Vinny? Get out of here.

#47 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1086 posts) -

I suppose people have to find something else to rail on since there has been a flood of video content this week and next.

#49 Edited by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -
@GenocidalKitten said:

@MideonNViscera: Most people watch Giant Bomb's videos for comedy, and far more than they watch actors an TV shows.

So, why's it weird that people start treating them like celebrities or comedians? Is it just a mental block that some users have where it's weird for them because it's a website?

Because they're really not celebrities or comedians. Being part of a personality-driven website is not the same as being either of those things. Being reserved and understated in a one-off public showing (or maybe a downbeat Quick Look), as a natural part of your personality, should be fine if you're just a guy who talks about videogames, whereas it would not be fine if you were a celebrity or a comedian. If people are finding stuff 'disappointing' on this basis it's because they're seeing the crew as something they're not.

On a related note I get the impression that people think it's easier to pull off being a comedian or celeb than it actually is. In actuality, comedians are so protective of their material that they sell jokes to eachother for cash. If you're a TV personality or actor of some kind, then every entertainment appearance you put in will be carefully stage-managed (not to mention well-compensated). The closest comparison to the GB crew might be stars of reality TV shows, whom people actually hold to very low entertainment standards in my experience.

#50 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

@Dylabaloo: I feel the responses to this thread have been an over reaction. It simply was 'Hey anyone else disappointed by the lack of Vinny on the GB panel?' no need for the 'he was tried' 'there's no games out' 'they just moved' defences, I get that, was just saying it was unfortunate he wasn't on his blue collar endearing A game the community love him for. There was 'no fuck giantbomb, I'm unsubbing' anger behind it. He was probably drowned out by the bigger personalities at the show ala Ryan and Jeff because they really brung it.

Perhaps. I misinterpreted the tone in your original post which led me to believe you seriously thought Vinny had "Had Changed" and I just wanted to provide some reasons for his non-typical public display. For that I apologise, that's the one major problem with the internet, unless it devolves into an emoticon fest :L