Microsoft to Censor XboxLIVE - finally - thank god!

• 63 results
XboxOZ360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By XboxOZ360

Well it seems Microsoft has finally got the approval for its patent on "real-time" censorship that will enable it to bleep or remove objectionable content from XboxLIVE in Real-Time  . .

Hopefully reducing the HUGE amount of abuse that goes on there. Many gamers steer away from it, fearing the racial, sexual  slurs as well as the swearing screaming-memies that just flood the service, often ruining the "fun" for many people who just want to enjoy some online gaming. Check this out and pass comments.

Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Foil_Charizard

I'd rather just take a few seconds to mute people then let MS censor people's conversations.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By KingBroly

Try putting in "Virginia" in your Profile.  Go ahead.  Try it out.  Needless to say, I don't like it, because too much stuff will get censored when it shouldn't.

Bartiemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Bartiemus

I tend to mute every one who is not on my friends list as other wise nine times out ten you just get abuse from 12  year olds

commodore64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By commodore64

This is stupid, If I want to drop an f bomb to one of my friends  I should be allowed. I hate how people get offended so easily on XBOX live yet they'll never use the complaint system.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By clarke0
commodore64 said:
"This is stupid, If I want to drop an f bomb to one of my friends  I should be allowed. I hate how people get offended so easily on XBOX live yet they'll never use the complaint system."
Yeah I agree that I want to be able to swear with my friends. Hopefully there is an option to just have this turned on for random matches.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Shadow

I still want to be able to enhance sentances by using "fucking" as an adverb...you know...the right way.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Coltonio7

I see this failing horribly. I don't want to be mothered by Microsoft.

I'm a big boy, I know how to Mute people.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DoctorTran

Hopefully it's optional.

Keano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Keano

BS

and they already have that, its called the mute button
Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Megalon

I'm a grown-ass man, why can't a 12 year old call me the n-word on xbox live anymore?

XboxOZ360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By XboxOZ360
commodore64 said:

Reply:
I think you'll find it will be fine within your "Friends List" but not in the Public domain. Which is fair enough. You can't just have open slather simply because "you want it" . . there needs to be limits on such things, ortherwise we end up with a situation we are in now.

MS, Sony and Nintedno want to push their online service to "Families" and they can  not do that if they are not "seen to be doing something" to combat abuse. Not just swearing, but terrible racial, sexual and religious slurs which are rampant on XboxLIVE> Many parents won't let their kids play simply because of that, which is counter to what MS, Sony and Nintendo would like.

Unfortunately, the actions of such idiots affect the rights of others. It's always been that way, and there's is no easy fix to suit all.

Also, sticking your head in the sand (not saying you are btw) and hoping it goes away is just as bad. Rules are there at the beginninng when you sign up, if you are not prepared to follow them, and they are there, read them, then the ompany must be seen to have measures to counter that and enforse those rules. Otherwise they are meaningless and basically of no value at all.
"This is stupid, If I want to drop an f bomb to one of my friends  I should be allowed. I hate how people get offended so easily on XBOX live yet they'll never use the complaint system."
bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By bjorno

censorship? more like censorSHIT.
ha!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

I can say that I hate it when people start saying shit like "hey, you fuckin' nigger" or "fuck you, Jewfro".  I'm not a fan of racial slurs at all.  Cussing in general though...I mean, fuck, it's just cussing.  The moment that people stop treating it like it's some form of fucking blasphemy (and can even tell me who decided what words were bad and what words weren't in the first place)...that's the moment that people will realize how stupid it is.

Nonetheless, people being racist is just bullshit and uncalled for...especially in an election year where we'll either have the first black president or the first female vice-president.  That proves to me that our nation, as a majority, is finally at the point where we are saying "fuck these stupid barriers, let's start believing and practicing equality".  Do I necessarily believe that it's 100% equality?  Not 100%, no, and I know the reasons for them...but once they've been in office long enough, I think you'll see people finally being far more open-minded, especially the older generations who grew up in the heyday of the KKK and neo-Nazi movements.

Back to XBL, though...I think real-time censorship is stupid because they created a "mute" option in the games for a fucking reason.  If you are going to implement a plan because people are too lazy to open a menu and mute a fucker, then I think those are the people that need to hear the language until they can't take the abuse anymore and just quit playing games...period.  They don't need to be online in the first place if they can't take the heat.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#15  Edited By mike

Approval for a patent does not necessarily mean this sort of technology could ever be successfully implemented.  I doubt we will see it this generation, and probably not in the next generation, either.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By hexogen

Something tells me this technology won't work that well. It'll probably wind up mistaking clean words for dirty ones and not recognizing some dirty words at all.

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By ocdog45

i just want someone to explain to me why it took this long.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Perhaps it could be used for the zones or whatever they're called (Family, Recreation, Pro, Underground).  They could just just match up "Family" users with other Family users and have the censoring concentrated there only.  I don't think the zones have any practical use at the moment, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure it will be optional. I just mute people who piss me off however.

Any idea how this technology cencors stuff? Does it listen to what you say THEN put it through?
... or is it like Nostradamus and predict your every fucking move!!!!!!!!! *puts on tinfoil hat*

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By RedSox8933

i don't really give a s***.....what the f*** was tha-god d***!!!

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Clean

Isn't that invasion of privacy. I don't want people listening to my conversation, that's kind of creepy but I get it if its for total tools.,

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By Terrell

I fully endorse this endeavor. As lo0ng as it is used in a responsible way and is used to keep people from griefing with words, using racial slurs, or just disrupting the gaming experience, i am all for it. Plus this is the first step to making online gaming something more than the underbelly of the video game industry.

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By Yit

I demand a refund. I'm going to go buy a PS3.

In all honesty, this TOTALLY isn't going to work. I can't discuss the intricate problems facing the dam industry today! I cannot discuss Heaven and Hell!

alexrubens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By alexrubens

I like people being able to say what they want, ya know if it bugs you that much, Mute Them! One of the best parts of online gaming is finding someone who gets pissed off really easily and trash talking them. Whenever i start doing that, after the guy gets mega pissed off and leaves (eventually after cursing me out multiple times), my team all un-mute their mics and are cracking up. Its one of the few things that releaves stress is a good laugh. So I say F censorship.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#25  Edited By wefwefasdf
Coltonio7 said:
"I see this failing horribly. I don't want to be mothered by Microsoft.

I'm a big boy, I know how to Mute people."
Same here.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By keyhunter

It's simple, when I'm playing Viva Pinata co op I tend not to swear at whatever 8 year old limey british kid I'm playing with. When I'm playing M rated gears of war I think we can all say frustrated swearing at team mates and especially some competitive swearing at enemies in Halo 3 is always welcome. This is pretty much the worst addition to XBOX live. There's a mute button for a reason. It's not the swearing on XBOX live that's the problem, it's annoying mexicans not shutting up and constantly speaking mexican in unrelenting amounts. Egad.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By webby

Lol with the strong northern English accent I have it will probably not even understand what im saying.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Thrawn1

this had better not make the lag problem any worse

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pause422

Its easy enough to ignore morons on live, as many as there are...so I'm hoping you're right MB, and this doesn't get put in for a long time..but I'd rather never see it, don't fucking censor us..no one was asking for that. I can just imagine...already playing a multiplayer M rated game, where characters are throwing shits and fucks around, and getting it censored when just talking amongst friends or something. There better be a way to disable it if you choose to, because this is going too far.

DavidLeeRoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DavidLeeRoth

Wonder if it will actually work. Censored or uncensored, I don't mind either way. Oh, as long as it's not a loud distracting beep.. that'd kind of suck.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pause422

They said it could be..between a big bleep out, another kind of noise, or just silence where you hear nothing. Either way this is a step back in general, and a huge mistake.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Alexander

As mentioned, this hardly means they are anywhere near implementing this stuff.

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

Another reasson why psn will win over live

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Well no where in the patent is xbox live mentioned, this is a patent from 2004 they just granted it likely has nothing to do with xbox live but other services and likely will not come about any time soon.

tmontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tmontana1004

This is crap...when I'm having fun with my friends, we slip swears all the time. If people don't like it, mute us, that's what it is for. I will be very pissed off if MS goes through with this bullshit.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DirrtyNinja
This will never be implemented.Fuck censorship.
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pibo47
MB said:
"Approval for a patent does not necessarily mean this sort of technology could ever be successfully implemented.  I doubt we will see it this generation, and probably not in the next generation, either."
Yeah, this is going to be really tricky. I dont think MS will be getting this one off te ground for a while.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By crunchUK

damn that can't be good. you mean actually censoring spoken stuff??? really?

fooflighter737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fooflighter737

I think this will be a family settings option.  I for one will use my mute button but if my son is playing he will have the censor option, it's either that or mute all option for him because of the large amount of racial and derogatory idiots who just learned how to swear in gradeschool and are using Live as their testbed.

I think this is a great idea if used optionally for parents.  Now if it is mandated, it will fail as there will be ways to pronounce words around the filter...just like typing SH!T instead of SHIT....there will be a way to phonetically circumnavigate the software.

This is also very cool though as technology wise, it shows we are that much closer to speech recognition software to really use in games etc... If MS is going to implement this in Real Time, it must work pretty dam good.  I mean darn good :)

fooflighter737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fooflighter737
Thrawn said:
"this had better not make the lag problem any worse"
What lag?...Seriously I haven't noticed any for the past year or so
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pibo47
Solid_SnakeXx said:
"Another reasson why psn will win over live"
Lmfao you fucking troll, atleast people use their mics on xbl, and the voice chat actually works. Try again phail again.
ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By ManlyBeast

Man don't be a pussy. The assholes on live is what makes it so awesome...

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By daniel_beck_90
KingBroly said:
"Try putting in "Virginia" in your Profile.  Go ahead.  Try it out.  Needless to say, I don't like it, because too much stuff will get censored when it shouldn't."
agreed , he is telling the truth
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

If it works properly this can only be a good thing, but I doubt it would work properly. I can't see how it would work in real time. There would have to be a delay, which would suck.

But just because they've filed a patent for it doesn't even mean there are plans of integrating it into live. Microsoft is a huge company, the gaming sections of it is only a tiny part. The chances are that their plans are to use this for something else, not for live.

Bram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bram

That sound crap tbh.
If people are so bothered cant they just mute? :S

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HandsomeDead

It sounds like a terrible idea. What will be censored and what won't? For example, 'douchebag' is offensive to yanks but over here, no one cares. And really, why go to all that trouble when you can just select mute player from the in game menus.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Otacon

Looks like you won't be able to tell someone to 'duck under cover' anymore.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jayge_

Should the technology ever be implemented, if it didn't actually let the person set the filter themselves, that'd be fucked.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BiggerBomb

If Microsoft wants to lose out to Sony, this is the way to do it.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By clubsandwich

as long as there's an option to disable it, I have no problems.