Moral issues with returning games

Boyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Boyling

So I've had this little argument with a friend of mine regarding moral issues with returning games and I'd love to see some external views on the subject. 

A year or so ago I picked up a copy of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed for the PS3. I had already tried the demo somewhat and was curious to see the final game, even though the demo was just decent in my opinion, so it was a bit of a gamble. Luckily, GameStop lets you return games for about a week so I figured that if I wasn't happy with it, I could return it. I went home and played it for six hours straight. This was six hours of frustration and me just running through several levels out of boredom. In the end I just wanted to see the damn ending and be done with it. I beat it that same night and had absolutely no urge to replay it or keep it in my somewhat extensive collection. I went back the next day and returned it.

Another somewhat recent example is Madden 09, which I bought and played for about the same amount of time, having been completely hooked on the demo, only to find that the full game did not satisfy for a longer period of time. I returned it a couple of days later.

Here's my question: Would you consider any of these examples immoral acts from me, the consumer? And if so, what makes it immoral?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

How's that even immoral at all? If the retailer is allowing you to return games you don't like or for whatever reason then you have the full rights to do so.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ryanwho

No. People aren't made of money. DVDs do fine competing against trade ins by having a competitive price model. Nobody's forcing devs to sell their games for twice what most people are willing to pay.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Driadon

No, as we're talking about Gamestop and I am rather biased against them from their previous shenanigans involving what they consider "new" and their policies on used games.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Adamantium

Only curious, not crapping on your question or anything, but why would it be immoral? You have seven days to return it, even if it's just because you don't like it (if you lied and told them the disc didn't work or something, that'd be a different story). Seems totally justified to me, I've returned games that I hated but played a good 5-6 hours on just to give it a fair trial. No worries.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By Emandudeguyperson

No, I believe I have done the same type of thing before.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By angelkanarias

Don't see nothing bad about it.

Boyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Boyling
@Adamantium: The reason I'm asking is because I've gotten accused that this is immoral by my friend... 
I agree that saying that the disc is broken is a completely different matter and that there would be no reason to say something like that. In fact, saying that something's broken when it's not would in my opinion be pretty immoral!
Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Adamantium
@Boyling said:
" @Adamantium: The reason I'm asking is because I've gotten accused that this is immoral by my friend...  I agree that saying that the disc is broken is a completely different matter and that there would be no reason to say something like that. In fact, saying that something's broken when it's not would in my opinion be pretty immoral! "
Right, yeah my example was to say it's not like you're lying or anything, so don't sweat it. Your friend is wrong. Walk up to him and yell "Booyaka!"
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Skald

I don't even see how this relates to morality. I would suggest that you make more informed choices next time you want to purchase a game though, unless you're fine beating games in one day and returning them to the store.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Cerza

No. GameStop has a return policy for a reason. I see nothing wrong with taking advantage of it and using it.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By thecleric

Nope, as someone who works there, trust me.. There's FAR worse cases than yours. And generally if you do it too many times, your Gamestop will warn you, they can shut off returns at any time if a customer abuses it. Though like I said, you seem fine. It's one of the perks of buying used.

Boyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Boyling
@thecleric: Ah nice, so let's see if I get this correctly. My returned new copies (that is, I bought them new) basically become used games and will be sold as used games from thereon, right? 
Then what about the publisher/developer/distributor, do they still get their money for the sale? I figured they get their part once the retailers order the copies for the inventory, whereas selling used games just means that the retailers can get much more from every copy?
wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wfolse1
@ryanwho:
DVD's have the added bonus of being essentially re-released copies of an entertainment product that had a run in theaters, potentially recouping the money spent on making the film.  They can be put out at this price point because it's essentially just icing for them.  Games do not have this luxury.
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thecleric
@Boyling said:
" @thecleric: Ah nice, so let's see if I get this correctly. My returned new copies (that is, I bought them new) basically become used games and will be sold as used games from thereon, right?  Then what about the publisher/developer/distributor, do they still get their money for the sale? I figured they get their part once the retailers order the copies for the inventory, whereas selling used games just means that the retailers can get much more from every copy? "
Wait, they let you return new copies? Yeah, they're not supposed to do that, if the seal's been broken, you can only exchange it for the identical item. I thought this was about used games.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho
@wfolse1 said:
" @ryanwho:DVD's have the added bonus of being essentially re-released copies of an entertainment product that had a run in theaters, potentially recouping the money spent on making the film.  They can be put out at this price point because it's essentially just icing for them.  Games do not have this luxury. "
Most movies lost money in theaters and recoup on DVD. You got it backwards, brother.
Boyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Boyling
@thecleric: Nope, they were new, but I suppose it could be a Swedish thing or something
MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrSnow

I thought Gamestop has a no return once the game leave the shop?

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Famov

When you purchase something, it becomes your property. In my understanding of the concept, that means you get to decide what happens to it. If that means you sell it to a retailer who will then resell it below the original cost, then so be it. Publishers have no right to make ridiculous regulations on property that no longer belongs to them.

There is NOTHING immoral with the resale of games.
Boyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Boyling

Hah, just browsed a Swedish game forum and found that GameStop Sweden has changed its return policy so that you can't return new games any more for full compensation. I suppose their current return policy is much more similar to how it works in the US right now. The reason seems to be that too many customers did continuous returns, coming back every week to return a new game.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ninjakiller

Why are you even asking this?

Boyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Boyling
@ninjakiller: Because I wanted to see if anyone agreed with my friend or if he's just crazy
church069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By church069

Buyer's remorse dude.

If you are not satisfied with a product you purchased, you should have every right to return it for your money back.

The only thing I am fuzzy about is about the return policy for the gamestop near where you live.  Where I live once the game has been opened the most you can get is trade-in credit.(terrible).  Unless you could convince the clerk to give you full credit, which usually means you have to be friends with the person.

wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wfolse1
@ryanwho:
Well, you are certainly correct that this is the cast for most movies, but no games even have this chance.  To use a Star Wars example, Phantom Menace was made for just over 110,000,000 dollars, and made almost 1 billion dollars in theaters worldwide.  The only chance the Force Unleashed had to recoup its development costs was to sell the game for a higher price.  
Boyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Boyling

It seems that it was a pretty crazy policy that they've changed now since obviously it was very prone to abuse. I think you only get trade-in credit now, just like in the US.
Also, getting an inside man clerk to surpass the policy seems very shady.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Karmum

If the company allows you to do it, I see no problem. Like certain exploits or abilities in a game. Is it kind of lame? That's an opinion, but it's still in the game. Unless you're really into football, I can see somebody retuning it after a few days. It does begin to wear off quickly, and you really need to like the sport to ignore that.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, thats similar to renting games, which is also fine by me

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

I don't think YOU are doing anything wrong.  You are just taking advantage of a flawed system.  I think the store you are buying it from is retarded for letting you do that though. 

For example, imagine you go to a movie theater and see a 2-hour movie.  When the movie is done, you go to the counter and demand a refund by saying the movie isn't good enough.   You go to get a hamburger, then eat the whole thing.  When the bill comes, you refuse to pay, saying it wasn't good enough.  You go to a sports game, and the home team does terrible.  Afterwards, you go to the ticket office and demand a refund.  In situations like that, you are going to have to argue with a manager, and even then, you probably won't get your money back.  You end up looking like an ass.  However, if you actually did get your money back because the people were stupid enough, I have trouble blaming you.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Why not just go on gamerankings, see the average, then if it's sort of low like that game, just rent it instead. I say gamerankings because some of the higher rated games has alot of replay value unlike lower scored game. Remember it's only my opinion which I still belive in because I do rent games am not sure of, try before you buy.

popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By popmasterruler
@Boyling: 

You didn't like The Force Unleashed?I stopped reading after that point