• 53 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

What games (from 2016) do you consider must plays? The year is (obviously) not over yet, but lets keep unrealeased games out of this discussion.

I haven't played much from this year; Uncharted 4 and Overwatch is it. I would consider Uncharted a must play of the year. Overwatch too, but with some caveats.

There are a few games I really want to play before GOTY, just so I have a little more context and possible dogs in the race. The few games I really want to play before the end of the year are:

• Firewatch
  • Superhot
  • Doom
  • No Mans Sky (I like to experience disappointments first hand)
  • Star Dew Valley

What are your must plays for others, and what are the year's games you want to play before the end of the year?

I'm sure I will play 2 of the games I listed at most.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By TobbRobb
  • Doom
  • Dark Souls 3
  • Inside
  • Superhot
  • Stardew Valley
  • Overwatch (if you want multiplayer)

All of these are fantastic games in my book. I ended up playing a little less Stardew Valley, but that's because I had to make myself stop so I could do other things.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: I've only heard good things about inside. But I never played Limbo and I had the ending spoiled for me; so I'm just not feeling the pull to play it right away.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Stardew Valley

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Dixavd

There is only one game released this year I would define as a "must play" in terms of an importance for this years Game of the Year awards that you cannot get the same understanding of from reading about it or just watching streams/let's plays: The Witness

The games I think you should know about but don't need to have played first hand to understand their importance include:

Whereas the games that have defined my year so far which I don't think are going to be historically/critically important but have still been must-plays for me are:

I haven't checked out The Banner Saga 2 or Inside yet (which I plan to). I probably won't go back for Fire Emblem Fates or Bravely Second: End Layer at this point, though there is certainly a possibility that they could be my favourite games of the year if I did.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Right now I'd say Doom and Inside are the only games I'd recommend to just about anyone.

Dark Souls 3 and Hyper Light Drifter are fantastic but I'd need to know someone's tastes a bit more before suggesting those games to them.

I'm still in the middle of playthroughs of The Witness and Tokyo Mirage Sessions so it's hard for me to say at this point if they are must-play games.

I've spent the most time playing and watching Street Fighter V this year. That game will end up on my GOTY list for sure but that's definitely not a must-play game for a lot of people. You need to know what you are getting into. Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator is also great, but again I couldn't say that everyone needs to play it.

I'm hoping to play Hitman, Firewatch and XCOM 2 soon as well, hopefully they fall into this category.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Must plays:

The Witness, Doom, Firewatch, No Man's Sky, Inside, Witcher 3 Blood and Wine

I recognize that No Man's Sky is very divisive, but to me it's 100% a must play. People complaining about repetition must secretly hate games, because all games are repetitious when you break it down. What matters is whether or not the gameplay loop feels satisfying to you. Watch the quick look and you'll know if it's for you or not.

Also, I didn't actually play Inside. I watched a let's play, which mostly conveys what's amazing about it (pacing, the craft on display). I regret not playing it for myself, so I would recommend doing that instead of what I did. If you don't feel like playing a limbo-esque puzzle platformer, watch a lets play.

Not must plays, but still pretty good/worth checking out:

Salt and Sanctuary, Enter the Gungeon, Ratchet and Clank, Furi, Dark Souls 3

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just pre-ordered Deus Ex MD, and I'm 99% certain that's my first pre-order of the year and my first AAA purchase of 2016. What is happening to me?

Furi and Deadbolt are both pretty good though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd:I don't like puzzle games enough to want to spend $40 to gain better context on The Witness. With that being said I understand where you are coming from and trust that you are correct.

@rongalaxy:I think when people complain about a game being repetitive they aren't saying a game repeating itself is the problem, it's that it doesn't do anything to make the repetition satisfying in some way. That's what I at least mean when I use repetitive as a pejorative.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloppydetective: like I said, you could say this about all games. I just think it's silly when people say "that's all you do?" When I could say the same thing about any game ever made.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#11 fisk0  Moderator

I'll say 8-Bit Armies (or maybe the new stand-alone 8-Bit Hordes, which I haven't gotten around to trying yet). Really neat and accessible RTS. Strong recommendation despite the awful art style.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@rongalaxy: I'd have no problem with 'that's all you do' if all you did was fun/challenging/interesting etc.

On topic: I'll have to echo a lot of people here -

Stardew Valley

Super Hot

Firewatch

Hitman

Darkest Dungeon (that counts as 2016, right? It came out of early access in January)

Abzu

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I recognize that No Man's Sky is very divisive, but to me it's 100% a must play. People complaining about repetition must secretly hate games, because all games are repetitious when you break it down. What matters is whether or not the gameplay loop feels satisfying to you. Watch the quick look and you'll know if it's for you or not.

It's repetition of nothing at all though. If I take one of my favorite games this year, Dark Souls III. It is repetition. You go into an area, it has some type of gimmick, once you move through it, there is a boss and you move on to the next area. You repeat that until you finish the game.

The thing is, each area is different, looks different, has different enemies that you need to handle differently. It has different mechanics within it. Each boss is very different. There is a reason people keep dying on a boss until they figure them out. It's just not the same thing.

No Man's Sky on the other hand is the exact same thing, over and over and over again. You go to planets and each planet looks identical apart from color schemes. Each wildlife creature is always the same type 'a randomly put together creature that does nothing'. You'll encounter the same looking creatures on nearly every planet and you have to look into your logbook to actually see differences. And even if there are any, it's just cosmetic. Nothing about it matters at all.

10 hours into No Man's Sky is the exact same as the first hour of No Man's Sky. It's a mindless nothing. It's like arguing you must like No Man's Sky's repetition because life is also full of repetition. It's not the same thing.

Orewton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adam comes back: Deus Ex - Mankind Divided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: I guess what I'm getting at is "repetitive" is a more reductive way to describe some games over others. Justifying one games unimaginative design by reducing all games to repeatedly pressing buttons over and over is obtuse.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zero Time Dilemma, Uncharted 4, Dark Souls 3, Salt and Sanctuary

Not Furi

Probably Doom

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brandondryrock

Play Rise of the Tomb Raider when it comes out for PS4. That's been one of my favorite 2016 releases (PC version).

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had some good fun playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions, so I'm assuming that anybody who really likes the Persona series will give this game a go this year too. Therefore, I would call TMS a must-play game in that regard. As it is, I also do enjoy me some Fire Emblem every once in a while.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I don't really like saying that something is a universal 'must play', but I'd consider The Witness a must play if you're into puzzles.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Quantum Break.

I fucking loved Quantum Break, as running around popping powers off was super fun. You play it as a cover shooter, and it's boring. But if play on hard and make full use of your powers, it's fantastic. Jumping into Uncharted's combat afterwards damn near ruined that game for me.

It also helped that I found the story to be entertaining and well-paced. Saw some of the reviews and almost regretted my purchase, but I'm so glad I played it.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Witness, you heathens.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By monkeyking1969

I really feel like Tom Clancy's: The Division was pretty damn good, certainly teh first 30 level of the single player loop was worthwhile.

I loved Firewatch and most of the other games listed thsi far, but I'd have a hard time telling most people to play them. And, that is some of this, right? What is a "must play" for a gamer? I truly wonder now if I even think must plays exist, but that is just in my own mind.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls 3 and Doom. Ringers.

As for must plays. I think No Man's Sky was cool. It is different and interesting. I loved the Blood and Wine dlc so I will throw that in there. My space games itch have been scratched with House of the Dying Sun. I think Salt and Sanctuary is a great Souls homage. Problem is DS3 came out right before so I never finished it.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Inside and Doom. I think that's all I've played that is 100% worth playing.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

I agree with the following that have already been mentioned:

• Doom
  • Stardew Valley
  • Firewatch
  • No Man's Sky
  • Super Hot

And will add these, which have not:

• Asemblance
  • Devil Daggers

I want to play these:

• The Witness
  • Inside
  • Dark Souls III
  • Abzu
  • Headlander

It's been a pretty great 8 1/2 months so far. Fall's got some bangers, too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC great port

New retro arcade neon in VR

Mirrors Edge Catalyst only if you're a die hard fan of this series I really enjoyed this game alot.

Dying light the Following great DLC

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kcin

Superhot is probably the tightest game I've played this year. It executes on everything it does EXTREMELY cleanly. It looks stylish in screenshots, sure, but much of its style comes from how its 'cinematics' are edited. It's just pristine. Absolutely play it.

Inside is another example of a game executed flawlessly. It may be, in fact, the most flawlessly-executed game I've ever played. Whether or not you find the experience fulfilling is almost irrelevant; in my opinion, it is a game that can be appreciated on sheer technical execution alone. I will say, though, that I loved playing it.

I loved Firewatch, and consider its dialogue and voice acting to be among the best in recent memory. Many don't like that game at all. That's fine. If you want to see how a game can successfully emphasize storytelling above all else - regardless of whether or not you LIKE the story - then play Firewatch.

Doom is also a must-play for every reason you've already heard.

The Witness is in my top-five this year for sure, though it is very divisive and understandably so. It is, however, absolutely worth experiencing.

If you only get around to playing one or two games on your list, though, make it Superhot and Firewatch, and absolutely do make an effort to try Inside. All of these games can be beaten in a single day, Firewatch and Inside specifically beatable in single 3-hour sittings.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3 Blood and Wine expansion.

Hitman

Factorio

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Karmosin

Furi by far. Such a goddamn strong experience from everything to music, style and gameplay.

Mirrors edge: Catalyst was also great fun, though gathering from it's reception I'm in the minority on that one.

Dark souls 3 and the witness. Monster Hunter Generations, especially if you're new to the series.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 4, if only to see its technical prowess in motion.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is Firewatch? Firewatch is garbage.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm sure there are some people who would dislike Doom but I haven't met many of them. Fantastic game if you're into FPS stuff.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Capum15

Stardew Valley is a fantastic game and really relaxing.

DOOOOOM is a great Rip and Tear simulator with Demon Face Shooting action and kung-fu grip (aka really well done, great feeling gameplay and a rockin soundtrack).

Hitman is surprisingly good and I've enjoyed my time with every map so far. I need to play that newest one I forget the name of still, but both playing it and watching Hitbrad have been fantastic.

Firewatch was really interesting and a great afternoon experience, but obviously it depends on if you like that type of game or not. I enjoyed my run of it.

I never thought it would grab me like it has, but hot damn I've put a ton of time into Overwatch on PS4. It's pretty good.

No Man's Sky is alright, but you really need to know what you're getting into. I've only played a few hours but can see myself playing that much longer in the future. It's basically what I thought it would be.

I still need to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions, but I made the mistake of buying Fire Emblem: Awakening and so I've been losing hours into that first.

I'm also looking forward to Mankind Divided a ton, after playing Human Revolution like 4 times through (and more just faffing around in the world every now and then).

Sun & Moon is more Pokemon. So I would assume that if you like Pokemon (and I do), there's your Pokemon later this year.

Inside seems like a neat little game. I've only watched people play it, though.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dishonored 2

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Man's Sky is awesome.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#36  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

SUPERHOT is the most innovative shooter I've played in years!

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witness is the best puzzle game to come out in a very long time. Hitman is really good stealth game that is the right kind of goofy. Dark Souls III is an incredibly fun action game with the best combat.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

@wuddel said:

The Witness, you heathens.

:) I was getting worried for a moment....

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

TBH the only game I've played this year is Overwatch. I watched my brother play through Uncharted 4 and that was probably enough for me, but it's quite good!

I am gonna have some degree of disposable income this autumn, though, so I've got a list of stuff I'm interested in, and I bolded all the ones already mentioned in this thread.

• StyleSavvy 3
  • No Man’s Sky
  • Abzu
  • Quadrilateral Cowboy
  • I Am Setsuna
  • Videoball
  • Inside
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
  • Kirby: Planet RoboBot
  • Doom
  • Hitman
  • Hyper Light Drifter
  • Stardew Valley
  • Street Fighter V
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • Fire Emblem: Fates (I can't tell if this one was the Fire Emblem @ccffbb mentioned, or how firmly they recommend it, but my ex-girlfriend is CRAZY for the Fates saga!)
  • Firewatch
  • The Witness
  • Oxenfree
  • Superhot

And then, here's my list for the rest of the year to keep tabs on because these games could be great, some more likely than others...

• Pokemon Sun/Moon
  • Batman: A TellTale Series
  • Grow Up
  • Phoenix Wright
  • ReCore
  • Pac-Man Championship Edition 2
  • Mafia 3
  • Paper Mario Color Splash
  • Gears of War 4
  • Rez Infinite
  • The Last Guardian (I missed that this got a confirmation at E3? I guess it did?)
  • World of Final Fantasy
  • Titanfall 2
  • Dishonored 2
  • Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  • Watch Dogs 2
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Dead Rising 4
  • Danganronpa v3
WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My biggest games of the year (that I've played which precludes some stuff like DOOM and The Witness) are Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE, Hyper Light Drifter, and Salt and Sanctuary. If games of those types appeal to you, all three are very good at being what they are. The toughest sell for most people is probably TMSFE because you have to have a WiiU which a lot do not. But man, that RPG itch it scratched, and I personally adored all the characters (I'm into a NG+ playthrough and at 116 hours between the two) and I almost never put that type of time into games anymore (only other game to get more than 30-40 in the past 2 years was Xenoblade Chronicles X which got like 150 from me).

domineeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43  Edited By domineeto

@csl316: Uncharted 4 was so disappointing to me because it had the elements to be legitimately good, the rope and new stealth mechanics, make jumping in and out of combat and climbing around really fun and rewarding but it's pretty clear that the game wants you to stay behind cover and play it the pop'n stop way if you play on anything higher than normal. It's an alright game (all Uncharted games were alright in the gameplay department, but the fourth time around the formula is getting pretty tired and the seams are starting to fall apart for me)

As for must plays, Hitman is on my list, Tricky Towers, Dark Souls III and Samorost III and The Witness. Inside will probably make it when I get around to playing it and hopefully Obduction delivers!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might add Inversus to the conversation. A little lean on the single-player side but there's some mechanical business going on with that shooter.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just realized, does Danganronpa count? The Vita wasn't exactly a hot-seller, so I imagine that the PC ports dramatically increased the potential base of people that can finally play it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loamobilegame: you should more discretely promote a game on forums. The only interest I have in this game now is to avoid it, due to your lack of subtlety.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie:I want to play it, but having to play it on PS4 makes me worried. Seems too fast for a gamepad.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#48  Edited By audioBusting

The games I would wholeheartedly recommend to people are Stephen's Sausage Roll (for puzzle lovers) and Drawful 2 (for parties and such), with those parenthetical caveats. I don't think I've played a 2016 game that feels so universal that I would call a "must play".

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rorie:I want to play it, but having to play it on PS4 makes me worried. Seems too fast for a gamepad.

I only played it on PC and it is fantastic on that platform. Highly recommended if you have a decent videocard and a good MKB setup!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers