My Take on the Current State of Console Gaming

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Edited By BiG_Weasel

My fellow gamers, thank you for the opportunity to sum up the current state of video games. Although many of you are short-term players, a lot of you will recall the bygone days of the Atari 2600 like myself.  Over the years a lot has changed on the scene, and now we find ourself in yet another generation of consoles.  I'll tackle these one at a time.

First off, is the best-selling console on the market, the Nintendo Wii. Weighing in at a lean $250, when you can find one for purchase, it appears to be a bargain. However, the lack of good games, outside of first party releases, have left many gamers with a smallish white block adorning their shelves- myself included. There are a few  titles worth watching on the horizon for the "little box that could", but how they'll actually impliment the Wii's unique controls in a way that won't be just a gimmicky control scheme for a medicore game has yet to be determined.

To Nintendo, I say "bravo" for capturing the interest of grandmothers, parents and small children, all while suckering in your original audience with few worthwhile titles on your system.  Back in the day, you were the preferred console of the core gamer, but you've lost that ever since the N64's generation. Enjoy snowing the rest of your consumer base, Nintendo. The Wii I own will be the last of your consoles I'll ever own

Next up, is the always-untrusty Xbox 360. 2008 was a pretty good year for the console, with some decent exclusives hitting the shelves. However, the red-ringed wonder still hasn't alieviated the one thorn in its side- reliability.  Day in and day out, Giant Bomb is flooded with new posts of people having to call Microsoft for their coffin- and many are on their 2nd, 3rd or even 6th Xbox 360 console.

While we're on this, I shall say "shame on you!" to the Xbox gamers who continue to roll over and delude themselves into thinking that their purchase was justified.  A few decent-to-good exclusives are not worth going through the drill of holding your breath each time you turn on your console, hoping you won't see the red ring of death.  I myself had my 2nd generation Xbox 360 red ring on me, only to have it incorrectly repaired, then replaced, then promptly sold on Ebay.   Why do the hardcore Xboxers continually allow Microsoft to take you for a ride, time and time again?  And shame to you, Microsoft, for making your consumers suffer through this travesty. If there were a "lemon law" for consumer electronics, the 360 would never have made it past the first year.

And lastly, there's the Playstation 3.  Oh, how the mighty have fallen! The first two iterations of Sony's flagship system were phenomenal.  New franchises were launched, old franchises were updated, and good times were had by all. But, with the PS3, we're only just now beginning to see the upswing in the console's gaming library. A few exclusives, both current and future, are beginning to draw praise of the gaming media. The last few years, the PS3 has stayed in a distant third place to Microsoft and Nintendo.

To Sony, I'll offer a bit of advice on how to save your system. Firstly, decrease the price of the 80gb model $100 to a price point of $299.  In an economically troubled time like ours, discretionary purchases are heavily scrutinized, and every penny pinched. The PS3's current perceived value doesn't equal it's current sticker price.

Secondly, tout the benefits of PSN over Xbox Live.  Show that players can play games online without the need for additional service fees.  Thirdly, play to the biggest advantages PS3 have over their competition: You have more "core" games than the Wii, more reliable hardare than the 360 (and many of the same games as both).  Build up the perceived value through side-by-side comparisons. And fourth, advertise more. I see, on average, two Xbox commercials to every PS3 commercial.

Each console has their strengths and weaknesses, and sadly, I've yet to find one that's worth the price of admission. The Wii is amusing for a short time, but doesn't have the games to hold a gamer's interest for very long. The Xbox 360, despite the games, is so unreliable and unpredicable in that regard, that it's a gamble when you purchase and power it on.  The PS3, while more reliable, and with some decent exclusives, is so self-absorbed in its own "coolness" that it can't see the writing on the wall, and refuses to capitalize on the advantages it has over the competition. 

I think I'l ljust stick with my PC.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BiG_Weasel

My fellow gamers, thank you for the opportunity to sum up the current state of video games. Although many of you are short-term players, a lot of you will recall the bygone days of the Atari 2600 like myself.  Over the years a lot has changed on the scene, and now we find ourself in yet another generation of consoles.  I'll tackle these one at a time.

First off, is the best-selling console on the market, the Nintendo Wii. Weighing in at a lean $250, when you can find one for purchase, it appears to be a bargain. However, the lack of good games, outside of first party releases, have left many gamers with a smallish white block adorning their shelves- myself included. There are a few  titles worth watching on the horizon for the "little box that could", but how they'll actually impliment the Wii's unique controls in a way that won't be just a gimmicky control scheme for a medicore game has yet to be determined.

To Nintendo, I say "bravo" for capturing the interest of grandmothers, parents and small children, all while suckering in your original audience with few worthwhile titles on your system.  Back in the day, you were the preferred console of the core gamer, but you've lost that ever since the N64's generation. Enjoy snowing the rest of your consumer base, Nintendo. The Wii I own will be the last of your consoles I'll ever own

Next up, is the always-untrusty Xbox 360. 2008 was a pretty good year for the console, with some decent exclusives hitting the shelves. However, the red-ringed wonder still hasn't alieviated the one thorn in its side- reliability.  Day in and day out, Giant Bomb is flooded with new posts of people having to call Microsoft for their coffin- and many are on their 2nd, 3rd or even 6th Xbox 360 console.

While we're on this, I shall say "shame on you!" to the Xbox gamers who continue to roll over and delude themselves into thinking that their purchase was justified.  A few decent-to-good exclusives are not worth going through the drill of holding your breath each time you turn on your console, hoping you won't see the red ring of death.  I myself had my 2nd generation Xbox 360 red ring on me, only to have it incorrectly repaired, then replaced, then promptly sold on Ebay.   Why do the hardcore Xboxers continually allow Microsoft to take you for a ride, time and time again?  And shame to you, Microsoft, for making your consumers suffer through this travesty. If there were a "lemon law" for consumer electronics, the 360 would never have made it past the first year.

And lastly, there's the Playstation 3.  Oh, how the mighty have fallen! The first two iterations of Sony's flagship system were phenomenal.  New franchises were launched, old franchises were updated, and good times were had by all. But, with the PS3, we're only just now beginning to see the upswing in the console's gaming library. A few exclusives, both current and future, are beginning to draw praise of the gaming media. The last few years, the PS3 has stayed in a distant third place to Microsoft and Nintendo.

To Sony, I'll offer a bit of advice on how to save your system. Firstly, decrease the price of the 80gb model $100 to a price point of $299.  In an economically troubled time like ours, discretionary purchases are heavily scrutinized, and every penny pinched. The PS3's current perceived value doesn't equal it's current sticker price.

Secondly, tout the benefits of PSN over Xbox Live.  Show that players can play games online without the need for additional service fees.  Thirdly, play to the biggest advantages PS3 have over their competition: You have more "core" games than the Wii, more reliable hardare than the 360 (and many of the same games as both).  Build up the perceived value through side-by-side comparisons. And fourth, advertise more. I see, on average, two Xbox commercials to every PS3 commercial.

Each console has their strengths and weaknesses, and sadly, I've yet to find one that's worth the price of admission. The Wii is amusing for a short time, but doesn't have the games to hold a gamer's interest for very long. The Xbox 360, despite the games, is so unreliable and unpredicable in that regard, that it's a gamble when you purchase and power it on.  The PS3, while more reliable, and with some decent exclusives, is so self-absorbed in its own "coolness" that it can't see the writing on the wall, and refuses to capitalize on the advantages it has over the competition. 

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By End_Boss

Man... At first I thought this would be a worthwhile read, but now I'd like the time you stole from me back. Another elitist PC gamer snubbing his nose at the consoles.
Sigh.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Bullet_Jr

Meh, there will always be videogames so it doesn't really matter.

I don't play favorites, I play games.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BiG_Weasel

Not elitist at all. Read the posts, people. I own a Wii, I owned a 360, and I'd like to buy a PS3 if the price were to come down. I'm just feeling a bit burned by the whole console scene right now.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

Sounds like you're trying to justify your bias to yourself.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hexpane
BiG_Weasel said:

"
I fixed your blog
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

To each his own, I love my Wii. Golf will never be the same on a PC or Dual Analog Gamepad, but golf is my favorite genre. I've played games since Pong, so I just see it as have fun with what you got. I have a Wii, Xbox 360, an aging gaming PC and have fun with them all. Give me everything and I'll take it, more games please.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

So you attack each system with the most invalid, stereotypical insults frequently thrown around by fanboys of each side, but cleverly exclude the absurd insults of the same type when it comes down to your choice of system. Congrats, for all your years, being so old school as you want to claim by mentioning the 2600, you sure lack maturity. Personally, I own a PCWii combo and am satisfied by both without trying to insult owners of other systems who are also usually satisfied. After all, if you're not, it's easy to fix by selling your current systems and games to get a different one. Wii=waggle, 360=RROD, PS3=lolxpensiv, PC=<3 is pretty much what you had to say here. Grow up and learn to be satisfied with your own choices without having an absurd need to justify and project your preferences as industry facts.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By meteora

Yeah, this is pretty biased. I want my time back.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
Al3xand3r said:
"So you attack each system with the most invalid, stereotypical insults frequently thrown around by fanboys of each side, but cleverly exclude the absurd insults of the same type when it comes down to your choice of system. Congrats, for all your years, being so old school as you want to claim by mentioning the 2600, you sure lack maturity. Personally, I own a PCWii combo and am satisfied by both without trying to insult owners of other systems who are also usually satisfied. After all, if you're not, it's easy to fix by selling your current systems and games to get a different one. Wii=waggle, 360=RROD, PS3=lolxpensiv, PC=<3 is pretty much what you had to say here. Grow up and learn to be satisfied with your own choices without having an absurd need to justify and project your preferences as industry facts."
Damn, this is just complete destruction right here. 
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Diamond
Fragstoff said:
PC as a gaming platform is unrivaled, call me an 'elitiest' too if you want but anyone who actually proclaims that any of these consoles is better than PC is an obvious fanboy to thier respective platform."
I'd argue that they're all better than PC in many ways, and PC is better than all of them in many ways too.  If you fail to see how each of these consoles could be considered better than PC for gaming, then you're the fanboy.
BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BiG_Weasel

As this is a blog post, its opinionated tone is implied. If I were to defend myself (which I don't feel the need to, but I'll ask anyway)  is there anything non-factual in my blog at all? Can you dispute anything based on factual evidence? Does the Wii have the "core" game library of the 360? Does the 360 not have a high failure rate? Does the PS3's price not impede its sales? Seems like that's all accurate to me...

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
Al3xand3r said:
"So you attack each system with the most invalid, stereotypical insults frequently thrown around by fanboys of each side, but cleverly exclude the absurd insults of the same type when it comes down to your choice of system. Congrats, for all your years, being so old school as you want to claim by mentioning the 2600, you sure lack maturity. Personally, I own a PCWii combo and am satisfied by both without trying to insult owners of other systems who are also usually satisfied. After all, if you're not, it's easy to fix by selling your current systems and games to get a different one. Wii=waggle, 360=RROD, PS3=lolxpensiv, PC=<3 is pretty much what you had to say here. Grow up and learn to be satisfied with your own choices without having an absurd need to justify and project your preferences as industry facts."
I was going to type something, but this sums it up.
BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BiG_Weasel

Also, as this is a blog post, constructive comments would be welcome. Outright flaming someone for talking about facts (and I challenge you to find anything non-factual in my blog post) is just simple lack of maturity on your part, not mine. I put the talking points out there, touted the advantages and disatvantages of the systems on the market nowadays, and came to the conclusion that I prefer my PC. I fail to see how that's anything but statement of truisms.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Diamond
BiG_Weasel said:
"Also, as this is a blog post, constructive comments would be welcome. Outright flaming someone for talking about facts (and I challenge you to find anything non-factual in my blog post) is just simple lack of maturity on your part, not mine. I put the talking points out there, touted the advantages and disatvantages of the systems on the market nowadays, and came to the conclusion that I prefer my PC. I fail to see how that's anything but statement of truisms."
Like others stated, you ranted about the most commonly brought up problems, while not even evaluating the state of PC gaming.  PC gaming has more than its fair share of problems too, to me it was enough to get me to mostly give up on PC gaming for the time being.

To make a good blog post, point out why the problems of the consoles matter TO YOU, and why PC gaming's problems don't.
BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BiG_Weasel
Diamond said:
Like others stated, you ranted about the most commonly brought up problems, while not even evaluating the state of PC gaming.  PC gaming has more than its fair share of problems too, to me it was enough to get me to mostly give up on PC gaming for the time being.To make a good blog post, point out why the problems of the consoles matter TO YOU, and why PC gaming's problems don't."
Thus the part of the title that read "My Take..." Does anyone not understand the concept of opinion anymore?
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

You were doing good at first, but then it went downhill.
Your opinion fails worse than mine.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Commando

I own a 360 and a Wii, and a PC that's not powerful enough to play the new graphic-intense games smoothly.

The 360 is fun, and I have probably played it the most out of all 3. You're right about the RROD. I'm on my 3rd 360, because the 1st replacement they sent me didn't show picture right out of the box. They "made it up to me" with a free copy of PGR3. Overall though, I love my 360.

The Wii is fun... when you're drunk. No problems with it, but the only games I played by myself were Zelda and the SSBB campaign. But if you're drunk and you have some friends around, the Wii is probably the greatest thing ever. 

My PC plays older games like Battlefield 1942, Counterstrike, and Starcraft. I just can't afford to keep upgrading it to play the new games smoothly.

I mean, if you can afford it, PC gaming is great but consoles are pretty reliable gaming on a budget, with the exception of PS3. With the money people spend on PS3 you could buy a top-of-the-line graphics card that would last you 5 years, and have a bigger selection of games, and better graphics. 

So although you make some good points like the Wii lacks good games, the 360 breaks down, and the PS3 is too expensive, I gotta stick with my consoles because PC gaming at it's finest requires a new graphics card every few years, and a new processor every few years. I can't afford that, but if you can, it's a lot of fun.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By Claude
SmugDarkLoser said:
"You were doing good at first, but then it went downhill. Your opinion fails worse than mine. "
I love honesty. +1
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By meteora
Commando said:
"I own a 360 and a Wii, and a PC that's not powerful enough to play the new graphic-intense games smoothly.
The 360 is fun, and I have probably played it the most out of all 3. You're right about the RROD. I'm on my 3rd 360, because the 1st replacement they sent me didn't show picture right out of the box. They "made it up to me" with a free copy of PGR3. Overall though, I love my 360.

The Wii is fun... when you're drunk. No problems with it, but the only games I played by myself were Zelda and the SSBB campaign. But if you're drunk and you have some friends around, the Wii is probably the greatest thing ever. 

My PC plays older games like Battlefield 1942, Counterstrike, and Starcraft. I just can't afford to keep upgrading it to play the new games smoothly.

I mean, if you can afford it, PC gaming is great but consoles are pretty reliable gaming on a budget, with the exception of PS3. With the money people spend on PS3 you could buy a top-of-the-line graphics card that would last you 5 years, and have a bigger selection of games, and better graphics. 

So although you make some good points like the Wii lacks good games, the 360 breaks down, and the PS3 is too expensive, I gotta stick with my consoles because PC gaming at it's finest requires a new graphics card every few years, and a new processor every few years. I can't afford that, but if you can, it's a lot of fun."
I'm on the same page as Commando is. I've got a pretty decent computer but it won't budge on anything that's of next-gen quality. I get lots of people who are big on PC gaming telling me to get a better hardware. Easier than said than done, but it gets expensive to stay the top dog with frequent advancements in gaming design including uber graphics, higher polygon counts and special effects. Consoles are good for people who have a limited budget, but that doesn't rule out that even richer people enjoy playing on consoles. I know this rich guy who has a uber computer but he plays his Xbox 360 because it's fun and all his friends play on it.
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Ben_H
Commando said:
"I own a 360 and a Wii, and a PC that's not powerful enough to play the new graphic-intense games smoothly.

So although you make some good points like the Wii lacks good games, the 360 breaks down, and the PS3 is too expensive, I gotta stick with my consoles because PC gaming at it's finest requires a new graphics card every few years, and a new processor every few years. I can't afford that, but if you can, it's a lot of fun.
"
I like how you think.  I lack the funds to drop large amounts of cash on a new GPU or processor every other year.  I much prefer PC gaming but it's too expensive for me.  That's why I also have a 360.  I can play new games on my 360 and some slightly older games (TF2, Company of Heroes) on my PC.  It's a win-win situation for me.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By meteora
Fragstoff said:
"Diamond said:
"Fragstoff said:
PC as a gaming platform is unrivaled, call me an 'elitiest' too if you want but anyone who actually proclaims that any of these consoles is better than PC is an obvious fanboy to thier respective platform."
I'd argue that they're all better than PC in many ways, and PC is better than all of them in many ways too.  If you fail to see how each of these consoles could be considered better than PC for gaming, then you're the fanboy."
okay then. maybe there are some points you could give consoles over PC, but its still unrivaledI guess when the developers FAIL @ porting."
Xbox 360: One of -the- largest player base that uses mics, more so than PC players. Because a mic is included in every Xbox 360 there isn't a problem with making friends or enemies alike on Xbox Live with your mouth. Mics and especially headsets are normally optional for most causal players on PC and normally hardcore ones purchase such accessories in clans. And no, don't bitch at $60 a year. It already costs my parents that much for cable/internet for a month.

Wii: Since when was the last time PC players had motion control...?

PS3: Blu-ray high definition in it's glory.

Also console exclusives. There are some console games that may never see the day of light on PCs, or PC games on consoles. Either way you get what you pick and choose. If you want to play PC games then go for it, just don't shove it down our throats on how consoles are teh shit.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#23  Edited By AgentJ

I wouldn't pluck your chickens before they hatch in regards to the Wii. What if Nintendos next console smokes the "720" out of the water in graphics and game selection? *obviously at this point Sony has quit lol* Saying the Wii will be your last Nintendo console just seems a little premature, since we dont know whether they'll continue on that path with their next gen system. I can see them making a seperate system for real gamers while keeping the wii around for families. That little white modem has a lot of staying power in that market.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AgentJ
BiG_Weasel said:
"Diamond said:
Like others stated, you ranted about the most commonly brought up problems, while not even evaluating the state of PC gaming.  PC gaming has more than its fair share of problems too, to me it was enough to get me to mostly give up on PC gaming for the time being.To make a good blog post, point out why the problems of the consoles matter TO YOU, and why PC gaming's problems don't."
Thus the part of the title that read "My Take..." Does anyone not understand the concept of opinion anymore?
"
No, no one understands that concept anymore. Why would they? Almost everyone on the internet these days displays their opinion as if it were fact. 
BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BiG_Weasel

If you do it right, you can build a good gaming PC on the cheap if you know where to buy parts. Right now, PC gaming's kind of plateaued in terms of hardware. CPUs have hit a speed bottleneck, graphic cards are starting to be incrimental improvements only, and hard drives are cheap. To run todays most popular games, I'd wager that a PC to run them on could be done for $600- $700.  Considering how utilitarian the PC is, that's a pretty good bargain. If anyone wants help building one, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By oldschool
BiG_Weasel said:
"Also, as this is a blog post, constructive comments would be welcome. Outright flaming someone for talking about facts (and I challenge you to find anything non-factual in my blog post) is just simple lack of maturity on your part, not mine. I put the talking points out there, touted the advantages and disatvantages of the systems on the market nowadays, and came to the conclusion that I prefer my PC. I fail to see how that's anything but statement of truisms."
Using my legal training (which I may be just making up), facts are the truth about events as opposed to interpretation.  Please do not confuse opinion with facts.

I decided to stop reading at this point.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AgentJ

OOH! OOH! THE WII IS $249.99!!! FACTUAL ERROR!!!!!!! jk

By the way, what would your take on the current state of P.C. (and Mac?) gaming be?
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
AgentJ said:
"OOH! OOH! THE WII IS $249.99!!! FACTUAL ERROR!!!!!!! jk

By the way, what would your take on the current state of P.C. (and Mac?) gaming be?
"
Yes I want to know as well. Even though it probably was not your intention, you gave the impression in your blog that you were putting the PC platform on a pedestal above the other platforms.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By atejas
How can you hope to challenge a perfect, immortal machine?
How can you hope to challenge a perfect, immortal machine?
BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiG_Weasel

AgentJ, I'm glad you asked.  While there's a lot to love on the PC, I'm seeing a lot of rehashing of old ideas, and not a lot of new ground being covered. Spore, for all that it was, tired to do something different and is very commendable in that regard. However, PC games tend to lean toward the strengths of the platform- FPSes, RTSes, and MMOs. 

There are quite a few good FPSes out there, and several are multiplatform.  FEAR 2, & Crysis Warhead are a couple of the stand-outs.  I'm not sure what they can do to innovate the genre, so I'm inclined to give 'em a pass.

As far as RTSes go, the big draw currently is Dawn of War II.  I thoroughly enjoyed the game, despite being taken back a bit from its departure to the original game. The smaller scale leads to more tactical battles, and I appreciate what Relic's trying to do with the RTS genre. On the horizon, we have Demigod by Chris Taylor, and that looks amazing.  Then there's the C&C series, which always pleases.

With MMOs, the PC's pretty much the only real place to play 'em. WoW's still going strong, despite not really offering any earth-shattering gameplay changes in the WOTLK expansion.  I played Warhammer Online, and really enjoyed my stay. I would've liked to have played more, but finances have put a brake on that idea. EVE is actually getting a lot of press nowadays, and that's amazing for a niche game in a niche genre.

One thing I'm particularly happy about is the number of multiplatform games showing up on PC. Just about every major title on 360 is coming our way, including Street Fighter IV. We already have Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Gears of War (and I suspect GOW2 will come to PC, because of Epic's history), GTA IV, etc. Not to mention that the 360's controller works on PC, too.  Overall, I'm happy that PC is getting the best 360 games (which is the console library of choice), usually for $10 less with extra content. Granted, we have to wait a while to get them ported over, but usually its worth the savings and the wait.

As I said above, PC hardware development's has kind of plateued recently, which makes building a new PC to game on very cost-effective, and helps ensure that you'll get more life out of your hardware. Now is actually the best time to get into PC gaming, if you're so inclined.

I'm not really a Mac person, so I'll defer that to someone who is if they feel like jumping in on that one.

Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Metasin

Okay I mean this as constructive criticism not as a flame but is the retreading of old ideas in games the only flaw you see with pc gaming? I ask because you spent as much space touting what you like about the pc as you did tearing down every console. I understand this is about your preferences but it seems to lack some objectivity, no offense.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AgentJ

Its too bad that I really am not a fan of fist person games and MMORPGs, because if i were, i'd probably want a gaming rig. BTW Dead Space isn't FPS, so you should probably edit that. Frankly, I'm happy with simply buying a complete package (consoles) that i don't have to tinker with and swap out parts for. I'd say that is the downside to PC gaming as it is, and why it won't ever be a mass-market gaming machine. (I'm the kind of guy that tried setting up Mame on my computer and had a lot of problems, so you can see why making my own rig would be daunting). Of course, I will certainly be buying Starcraft II, once it comes out in a battle chest. Like I'm going to buy 3 games for full price?

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BiG_Weasel
Metasin said:
"Okay I mean this as constructive criticism not as a flame but is the retreading of old ideas in games the only flaw you see with pc gaming? I ask because you spent as much space touting what you like about the pc as you did tearing down every console. I understand this is about your preferences but it seems to lack some objectivity, no offense."
First, thanks for the great comment. To answer your question: Retreading isn't exclusive to the PC, and no- there are other flaws.  The occasional driver/software incompatibility or error will crop up, as will the stability of some games (crash to desktop).  Then you have Windows, despite being much more stable than it used to be, is still- well- Windows. I apologize for not taking both sides of that debate, as I was answering AgentJ's question, not so much working on the pros/cons of the PC platform.
BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BiG_Weasel

Wow, way to hijack my blog, Fragstaff. Thanks! 

By the way, please don't flame him on *my* blog, ok?
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hexpane

I think someone needs to write a 800 page book on why PC gaming is better than console gaming, millions of the blogs restating the same things over and over again is NOT ENOUGH.

I vote for a reality show "Why I like PC gaming over consoles - battle!"  We could have a bunch of people w/ Mountain Dew case mods playing WoW explaining how Uber they are!

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BiG_Weasel

One HUGE advantage console games have over PC is sitting in your living room with a bunch of your buddies talking smack while you play a game. I absolutely love that! With PCs, that's the one thing they can't do (outside of a LAN party, which is an ordeal to set up).

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Diamond

The problem with discussions like this, is idiotic fanboys like Fragstoff always show up.