Naughty Dog or Insomniac Games

icybankz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Naughty Dog or Insomniac Games (168 votes)

Naughty Dog 71%
Insomniac Games 12%
Both 17%

First of all, i didn't know whether this topic should be in Insomniac\s page or Naughty Dog's page, so i went along and created it on the general discussion page :D.

Now, just wanted to see your thoughts on who is the better game developers. Also add which franchises did you like between the similar series they made.

For Example:

Generation 1: (Crash Bandicoot or Spyro)

• 1. Both (Sorry can't decide)

Generation 2: (Jak&Daxter or Rachet&Clank)

• 2. Ratchet and Clank (Those game names...)

Generation 3: (Uncharted or Resistance)

• 3. Uncharted (Uncharted 2 deserves game of the Gen)

So, what do you think?

• 
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

ND for every generation. Resistance and Ratchet and Clank do nothing for me, while Spyro was a few steps behind the ND Crash games.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Though I really like Insomniac I think Naughty Dog has had the better franchise every generation.

Though at the end of the day, I think it's the work that they shared back in the Jak/Ratchet days that made both of them such great developers.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ND by far.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Easily Naughty Dog

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By GunstarRed

I'd take Ratchet & Clank over Jak & Daxter, Uncharted and The Last of Us, but I'd easily take those three over Resistance or Fuse.

ND seem to be more consistent with the good games.

I say both, but if I could only choose one it would have to be Insomniac because of my deep love and attachment to the Ratchet series.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would say I like Ratchet and Clank just slightly more than Uncharted, but I like The Last of Us far more than anything else made by either of these developers.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Currently naughty dog. Ps1/ps2 era? Insomniac.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Naughty Dog because of Uncharted and Last of Us.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zirilius

Uncharted in any generation. Some of the best games for each system and also Jax > Ratchet every day of the week.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Playstation 1? Naughty Dog. I played a fair bit of Spyro but Crash 2 and 3 are some of the best games from that generation.

Playstation 2? It was Naughty Dog but I seem to look back more favorably on the Ratchet games (and, in retrospect, probably spent a lot more time playing them).

Playstation 3? Well... neither, really, which is pretty frustrating to someone who grew up with the games that these companies made and fully expected to love them again. The Uncharted games have impressive set pieces and generally good dialogue between characters, but neither the gameplay nor the stories back up those things that are impressive on the surface. Both developers have delivered at least one game this generation that has really, really impressed me - Insomniac's Resistance 3 and Naughty Dog's The Last of Us are both some of the better games of this generation (though, again, The Last of Us has some really spotty gameplay - bad AI, enemies feel like they take too many bullets for such a serious-faced game, respawning enemies, etc.). Resistance 3 has a few story problems but it delivers what it's got very well and it's actually a pretty good shooter.

I'm trying to decide which one I'm disappointed in less, which probably isn't a good sign.

A Crack in Time might be the best-looking game on this generation of consoles. Yeah, The Last of Us looks pretty good for a PS3 game, but the aliasing does that game no favors and it gets a bit frame-y. A Crack in Time looks like a fucking Pixar movie and runs at 60FPS.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

bolth

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't own a PS1, played a tonne of Ratchet on the PS2, and Uncharted is a great series. So both I guess,

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Rejizzle

Spyro over Crash, Jak and Daxter, over Ratchet and Clank, and... Little disappointed with both developers this/last generation. Really only liked Uncharted 2 and Resistance 3. So it's a tie I guess.

Can I just say Sucker Punch?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

PS1: Crash > Spyro

PS2: Ratchet & Jak were both on the same level

PS3: Uncharted&Last of Us > Resistance

So Naughty Dog wins for me easily.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pyrodactyl

You forgot the last of us and fuse. So yeah, ND wins by a mile.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naughty Dog destroys. I enjoy Insomniac games, but ND is just consistently insane.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rejizzle said:

Spyro over Crash, Jak and Daxter, over Ratchet and Clank, and... Little disappointed with both developers this/last generation. Really only liked Uncharted 2 and Resistance 3. So it's a tie I guess.

Can I just say Sucker Punch?

Sucker Punch totally deserves to be part of this conversation. Rocket Robot was way better than Crash and Spyro.

icybankz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't really know why, but i guess there is too much hate against Insomniac...

And by the way, I didn't include Fuse because it failed miserably and I didn't include TLoU because I didn't think Fuse was a good counterpart for TLoU and the answer was going to be too obvious.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Loved Spyro more than Crash. Loved Jak more than Ratchet (Third Ratchet game probably better than all the Jak games and Ratchet games though), Naughty Dog crushed it this last gen. The only games that Insomniac made really worth a damn was the Ratchet and Clank games. And only 3 of those. 1 of them was made only 'cause they realized they were ruining Ratchet.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I loved Spyro but Crash Bandicoot eats him for breakfast. Jak & Daxter 1 was mindblowing and I only played a little of Jak 2 and Ratchet and Clank and by that point I was leaving that genre behind (or it left me, one or the other).

Resistance was a great launch game but Uncharted 2 and TLOU are hand over fist better than Insomniac's catalog. But this is some gun-to-my-head comparisons. Honestly their games get really different in the PS3 era.

Avatar image for deactivated-643fcf03a370c
deactivated-643fcf03a370c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While overall (and for the present day) I would have to say Naughty Dog, I feel that during the PS2 era the Ratchet & Clank series just had better games. That's not to say I didn't like Jak & Daxter, I loved the first game, I just thought the other two were incredibly frustrating.

Anyway, I'll show my thoughts regarding each generation, for the games that I've played...

PS1: Crash > Spyro

PS2: Jak & Daxter: Precursor Legacy > Ratchet & Clank > The other Jak games

PS3: Uncharted > Ratchet & Clank > The Last of Us (Hate me if you will, but out of all of them I had by far the least enjoyable time playing the game. I still think it's a great game, it just didn't quite strike a chord with me.)

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jak & Daxter was the pinnacle of Naughty Dog's stuff so far and I generally preferred those games over the Ratchet & Clank ones. I'd go with Naughty Dog.

Avatar image for anonymous-poster
Anonymous-poster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ND is the best. Jak and Daxter and Rachet and clank are some of the best games out there.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aegon

Naughty Dog is in its own zone right now, but I've greatly enjoyed playing games from both devs in all gens.

Regarding Insomniac, Ratchet & Clank Crack in Time was a big step in the right direction and it would be great if they kept on that path on the PS4, but I'm not sure if they're willing to do that anymore or if they still have the vision for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll go with Naughty Dog, but only by a hair. Sunset Overdrive could tip the scale if it's good enough.

As for the generational stuff:

PS1: Tie. I have more nostalgia for Spyro but I definite!y think Crash was the better series.

PS2: Naughty Dog. The Jak games were some of my favorites on the platform. I haven't actually beaten any of the Ratchet games, but have enjoyed all that I have played of them. I do have the HD collection sitting on my shelf... Should really get around to that...

Ps3: Naughty Dog. I really liked Uncharted 2. Last of Us was pretty good, too. Couldn't care less about the Resistance games but I've always wanted to play Ratchet Crack in Time. (But haven't because of not finishing the PS2 games)

To be honest, I was actually kind of disappointed with Naughty Dog and Insomniac last gen. ND made more games that I played, though.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I don't think I've ever played an Insomniac game. I've played the four PS3-generation Naughty dog games, and two of them were good, so 50% is better than 0%?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Loved Spyro more than Crash. Loved Jak more than Ratchet (Third Ratchet game probably better than all the Jak games and Ratchet games though), Naughty Dog crushed it this last gen. The only games that Insomniac made really worth a damn last gen was the Ratchet and Clank games. And only 3 of those. 1 of them was made only 'cause they realized they were ruining Ratchet.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that tony hawk pro skater was left off this makes this a biased and invalid comparison. THPS was late gen 1 or early gen 2 if i remember correct. Wasted many many hours on a skate game even though I have no coordination on anything other than my longboard from college.

Gen 3 is ND obviously but man those older generations... those were the good days.

Victorboris1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naughty Gods, I'm still pissed at Insomniac for torpedoing the Resistance franchise with R3's plot and ending.

RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naughty Dog for Crash and Insomniac for Ratchet and Clank. All other options are false (Also ND for Uncharted, no contest there for me)

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say the developers were even until the latest generation. Jack and daxter and rachet and clank were both fantastic franchises. I would say that I prefer the gameplay of Insomniac ps2 games, and prefer the story of ND ps2 games. ND has outdone themselves on the ps3 though, so currently it would have to be ND. All this talk has made me want to go buy the HD remasters of both developers, thats a LOT of game for the money.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

The fact that tony hawk pro skater was left off this makes this a biased and invalid comparison. THPS was late gen 1 or early gen 2 if i remember correct. Wasted many many hours on a skate game even though I have no coordination on anything other than my longboard from college.

Gen 3 is ND obviously but man those older generations... those were the good days.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater wasn't developed by Naughty Dog or Insomniac, though.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS1 :Naughty Dog

PS2: Insomniac, Going Commando is one of my favorite games ever.

PS3: Draw, not a huge fan of Uncharted series, Last of Us is awesome. Resistance is a extremely uneven franchise and Ratchet was solid for the first three release, not so much the last three.

I will say, while Sunset Overdrive looks like fun, I'm way more confident in Naughty Dog this generation than Insomniac, even with the shakeups they've been having the past couple of months.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played Crash Bandicoot, so I guess I prefer Spyro/Disruptor.

The Ratchet games are some of the most fun you can have on a PS2. Jak is ok, I guess.

A Crack in Time is the best Ratchet game yet, and Into the Nexus is right there with it. I love the atmosphere of Resistance 1 & 3, and all of them are pretty fun to play. Even Resistance 2 had an interesting and awesome coop mode. Nobody in the industry can touch Naughty Dog when it comes to the cinematics in Uncharted and The Last of Us, but gameplay is what matters most. Neither of those series play poorly, but their scripted events do a poor job of letting the player know what they should be doing.

So, Insomniac wins out in my book. Let's not talk about Fuse.