#551 Edited by DancingJesus (68 posts) -

The gradient behind videos still looks a bit off: on the right side it cuts off sharply while the left side is much more gradual. It seems a bit messy as of right now.  
  
I still really love the changes, keep up the hard work. We only provide feedback to help make the site better!

#552 Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar (1179 posts) -

I just noticed the new top contributor section under the featured games which is awesome. I am officially onboard with the new design... until its changed again.

#553 Posted by FrostTee (31 posts) -

Awesome, keep the updates coming.

#554 Posted by CptBedlam (4450 posts) -

I really like the design, very clean and intuitive to use.
 
Two minor points/complaints:
 
1. I kind of miss the status updates on the front page. Maybe there's some space left at the bottom right to put them there... dunno... or maybe put in a switch at the "rad community stuff" table header so you can switch it to display the status updates table - similar to tabs in a browser.

2. The arrows and dots on the video bar look a little "wimpy" ... sorry for saying that, a lot of work probably went into designing them. I'd still replace them with something a little more prominent and obvious. I overlooked them at first because they're so tiny.

#555 Posted by Lolimoto (44 posts) -

I really like the "Coming up on Giant Bomb", but it only shows up when a video is at the top. If you want me to click through every story until a video shows up, I can do that, but it would be much more convenient, if it was always there.

#556 Posted by Clark (110 posts) -
@Lolimoto: Dave did mention on twitter (i think) that they are working on a way to scroll through promos in that main promo section so that you don't have to click through to get it to change.  
 
But yeah it would be nice if the coming up on giant bomb thing was always there no matter the story type.
#557 Posted by simongibbons (1 posts) -

Looks sweet.

#558 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

I just took a look at the homepage again, and wow! I rarely visit the Giant Bomb homepage as Firefox just recommends the forums for me when I type into the address bar, but the Whiskey Media team should be incredibly proud of that design. It's unique, it's fresh, and I think it's beautiful.

#559 Posted by Nevski (24 posts) -

Really like it too. Great that I can tell when there are live events/new posts available in advance.

#560 Posted by Krushr (54 posts) -

Is it just me or did the scheduled events thing disappear?

#561 Posted by lavaman77 (567 posts) -

Great job guys! it looks great.

#562 Posted by DancingJesus (68 posts) -

Looks like they just changed the video player skin again. 
 
Neat, I really like it!

#563 Posted by InternetDetective (353 posts) -

Sorry I think the new layout is clunky and messy looking.

#564 Posted by Doomshine (149 posts) -
@Clark said:
@Lolimoto: Dave did mention on twitter (i think) that they are working on a way to scroll through promos in that main promo section so that you don't have to click through to get it to change.   But yeah it would be nice if the coming up on giant bomb thing was always there no matter the story type.
I'd like that too, I was confused as hell yesterday when I couldn't figure out how to see it.
#565 Posted by alexisg (383 posts) -

I hate when the coming up module is not there as well. It's on my bucket list of things to update. It wa actually supposed to show up no matter what but time crunch just didn't allow us to get it in

Staff
#566 Posted by byrjun (154 posts) -
As much as I love the new setup and features of the new homepage (I was actually surprised that I liked it so much! :), I feel out of the loop of new blogposts of the people I follow. On the Site Activity tab, I can only see the Friends' Stream and Forums, would it be possible to also be able to see Followed Blogs? There's nothing I like more than following the adventures of ArbitraryWater andVideo_Game_King into old schooliness vidjas games! Right now, I can only do this from my iPhone-homepage-view. Thanks for being continually great, guys!
#567 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -

I guess I'll add my voice into the the "I miss blogs and statuses" crowd. Otherwise I think it's pretty good, bar a few bugs that I'm sure you guys are working on.

#568 Posted by afrofools (1343 posts) -

I approve.

#569 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2054 posts) -

The only complaint I have is not being able to see the blogs and statuses.

Online
#570 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

The white theme should be default for everyone, it's great.

#571 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

Seriously fucking A+ job snide. I don't visit this site that often any more but every time I do the homepage blows me away. Excellent.

#572 Edited by weavminas (84 posts) -

Liking the new homepage. When the "Would you kindly sign up for Giant Bomb" appears, it hurts that I can't afford it for another month.
Now if only the live stream would work better. I ended up having to go to the Whiskey Media justin.tv page.

#573 Posted by Nomin (977 posts) -

The redesign definitely has room to improve. It seems to have gotten rid of the sidebar updates to the status of people being tracked and replaced with the largely useless community content section. Compatibility issues with IE9.0 still persist, and the coming up module takes the surprise out of the update regimen. I also don't approve how the main featured video applet can't load other videos of our choosing. 

#574 Posted by Indignate (18 posts) -

Probably the first time that I've actually liked it when a site has redesigned it's front page.
 
Dug it so much that I finally decided that it was time to sign up.

#575 Posted by sjoerdth (16 posts) -
@pornstorestiffi said:
@Clark said:
@sjoerdth: That's odd. Mine looks fine. Could be something on your end but who knows. This is mine on win7/chrome.  
 
May wanna go post in this thread
Edit: Though not specifically about the front page, may fit in that thread.
Mine looks like that too, and i'm on a MacBook running Chrome.
I know, you do not have Helvetica neue on you pc and in the css Arial is defined as the second font, so you see it in Arial. The choice for Helvetica neue is just wrong because it's a well known fact amongst front-end developers that it renders like shit in browsers on windows machines.
#576 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -

Would be nice to have a way to manually change the top featured, uh, feature. Been stuck on this Starcarft one since it went up despite having read the article. I want to cycle through myself.

#577 Posted by clapperdude (192 posts) -

Yea the HelvN font is rendering really bad on my systems (XP and VIsta) -- makes it pretty hard to read.

#578 Edited by alexisg (383 posts) -

@sjoerdth said:

I know, you do not have Helvetica neue on you pc and in the css Arial is defined as the second font, so you see it in Arial. The choice for Helvetica neue is just wrong because it's a well known fact amongst front-end developers that it renders like shit in browsers on windows machines.

On the contrary I think a lot of designers and frontend developers use the stack helvetica neue, arial since in almost all cases Windows people don't have Helvetica Neue. And if they do, they are probably in the design business and have gone and turned on ClearType and tuned it right?

The reason why I went with font smoothing is because I felt like the white text on dark background's was really harsh and tiring to read over a long period of time. Most people have reacted positively to it.

That being said, I feel your pain if you are not seeing things as you would like. Will probably keep tweaking things for ever and try and make as many people happy overall as possible. Options would be nice, and its something I am looking into. For now you could use something like Stylebot in chrome to change it to Arial with no smooth.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/oiaejidbmkiecgbjeifoejpgmdaleoha

I even made a simple style snippet that you can install.

http://cl.ly/2W2V3t3z1K28390x030T

Staff
#579 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I love Neue. I use it when I can.

#580 Posted by ocdog45 (675 posts) -

Looks great. GB still evolving.

#581 Edited by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

Yay! The alignment has finally been fixed on my ipad. Now all I need is full comment text box support and everything will be just perfect. 

#582 Posted by bullishsquinty (16 posts) -

Been a long time casual viewer of the site, but the new front page makes it easy to come back every day to see what's going on, and it looks great on my Xoom.  Nice work.

#583 Posted by jNerd (2012 posts) -

I love this new redesign!

#584 Posted by PaulKemp (110 posts) -

Will this redesign ble applied to the other sites as well? I know it would look good on the tested site as well.

#585 Posted by Metalman781 (88 posts) -

I like the looks of the redesign the old one looked plain.

#586 Posted by HardTimesUK (1 posts) -

Worth mentioning how awesome it looks for my first post! :)

#587 Posted by sjoerdth (16 posts) -
@alexisg said:

@sjoerdth said:

I know, you do not have Helvetica neue on you pc and in the css Arial is defined as the second font, so you see it in Arial. The choice for Helvetica neue is just wrong because it's a well known fact amongst front-end developers that it renders like shit in browsers on windows machines.

On the contrary I think a lot of designers and frontend developers use the stack helvetica neue, arial since in almost all cases Windows people don't have Helvetica Neue. And if they do, they are probably in the design business and have gone and turned on ClearType and tuned it right?

The reason why I went with font smoothing is because I felt like the white text on dark background's was really harsh and tiring to read over a long period of time. Most people have reacted positively to it.

That being said, I feel your pain if you are not seeing things as you would like. Will probably keep tweaking things for ever and try and make as many people happy overall as possible. Options would be nice, and its something I am looking into. For now you could use something like Stylebot in chrome to change it to Arial with no smooth.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/oiaejidbmkiecgbjeifoejpgmdaleoha

I even made a simple style snippet that you can install.

http://cl.ly/2W2V3t3z1K28390x030T

I'm a designer/ front-end developer myself and I wouldn't be able to see how fonts render "by default" if I turn on clear type. I know it's the most frustrating job making sites look good on all the different OS and browsers, I deal with it every day. My  philosphy is make it look as good as possible on optimal systems without making it look shitty on lesser.
 
Thanks for the stylebot snippet I'll look into it :)
#588 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

I am unstickying this, at least for now. Need to make more room for the other E3 threads coming soon.

#589 Posted by DancingJesus (68 posts) -

Noticed you rounded the corners on the video player options and changed the username color. Sweet deal!