Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#51  Edited By Claude
@Dtat said:
" @B0nd07 said:
" @Claude said:
" The Wii is not an inferior piece of hardware. I'll give you underpowered, but the inferior piece of hardware goes to the Xbox 360. I had that thing for two years and it broke, my launch day Wii still runs fine. The old argument that the Wii is only good for 1st party games is absurd. I've played some great 3rd party games on the Wii. Because of the Wii, Nintendo has put themselves in position to be a console leader not only this generation but next generation as well. I see two consoles living in a midlife crisis by adding motion controls in an effort to compete with the Wii. Long live Nintendo and long live my little motion box. Maybe one day, we'll go HD together. "
Quoted for truth.  Nintendo is sitting at the top of both the home and portable markets this generation.  They're not going anywhere.  No matter how much, for whatever reason, you think they should.  Microsoft and Sony both brought out motion controls 3/4 of the way through this generation just to compete with the Wii's sales.  Just because you don't like the Wii, or think it's inferior, does not mean Nintendo should call it quits and never learn from whatever mistakes they might have made. "
you're getting stuck on the word "inferior." If I changed the word to "underpowered" it would be the exact same argument. It's not that I don't like the Wii. I just wish Nintendo's games weren't being held back by the hardware. Now please tell me how super Mario Galaxy looks fantastic. Because you're right! But it would look just as good and play just as well on any other console. That's all I'm saying. I hope you're right that their next console pushes the limits. I would be freakin stoked to buy it. "
Well, in the end, it will probably look better on Nintendo's next home console. But there again, it will be the same game we've played for years... with a few new twists.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By owl_of_minerva

For me and people like me that don't have HD displays it's a moot point and their next console will undoubtedly be HD so that's that. Anyway, the 360 and PS3 didn't really do a fantastic job of HD to begin with: they went for 1080p resolution too early  and thus they look like shit compared to a reasonably powerful PC or films at that resolution. Not that I would claim that the PC in itself is better simply because of power and graphics, but the ultimate logic of your argument would be to buy the best PC you can buy because equally the PS3 and 360 are held back by aging and inferior hardware.

shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By shadyspace

Nintendo is the ONLY video game company making a console today. Their exit from the home console market would be a great loss.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By dtat
@owl_of_minerva said:
" For me and people like me that don't have HD displays it's a moot point and their next console will undoubtedly be HD so that's that. Anyway, the 360 and PS3 didn't really do a fantastic job of HD to begin with: they went for 1080p resolution too early  and thus they look like shit compared to a reasonably powerful PC or films at that resolution. Not that I would claim that the PC in itself is better simply because of power and graphics, but the ultimate logic of your argument would be to buy the best PC you can buy because equally the PS3 and 360 are held back by aging and inferior hardware. "
Oh absolutely! the problem is that a powerful PC runs about $1500, while the 360 and PS3 cost around 300. you could rightly make the argument that the Wii is cheaper, but not as significantly as a PC to console difference.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By trophyhunter

banana

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By Slaker117

I don't care for the Wii myself, but Nintendo knows what it's doing. Even if 3rd party games are crap, their own titles are pretty fucking solid. If you care about the specs you are missing the point. It's about locking everything down from the inside and controlling it all the way through, hardware and software. I don't think they can continue with that "Nintendo magic" any way else.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Claude
@trophyhunter said:
" no banana "
Fixed
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58  Edited By tourgen

man I don't know.  I like having a super low priced console on the market aimed directly at the young child and casual demographic.  It helps keep shovelware off the consoles I want to own.  Anyway Nintendo is going to keep making consoles, they aren't stupid or crazy.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By HydraHam

No.. Nintendo makes excellent consoles, just because you are a graphics whore and don't care for the wii as much as other people doesn't make it a shitty console, would games like metroid and other titles benifit more on 360/ps3/pc? graphic wise sure but people who buy the wii and nintendo products don't buy them for the graphics, we buy them for the gameplay.

There is a reason why nintendo is the top company right now and you are on a video game forum.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By Diamond

Perhaps a better forum topic would be : Nintendo should just make super cutting edge hardware that costs them $300,000 each but sell it to consumers at $100.  That would solve all your problems and then some!

It's nice to want things.  Lots of people want things.

@owl_of_minerva said:

" For me and people like me that don't have HD displays it's a moot point and their next console will undoubtedly be HD so that's that. Anyway, the 360 and PS3 didn't really do a fantastic job of HD to begin with: they went for 1080p resolution too early  and thus they look like shit compared to a reasonably powerful PC or films at that resolution. Not that I would claim that the PC in itself is better simply because of power and graphics, but the ultimate logic of your argument would be to buy the best PC you can buy because equally the PS3 and 360 are held back by aging and inferior hardware. "
That'd be a lot more applicable if PC game developers hadn't basically abandoned coding PC games to make good use of the hardware and created higher end assets.  These days many of the best looking games are still coming out on console, and multiplatform games look virtually identical.  There's a real argument that Wii is the odd man out by being that different specwise.  But there isn't any logic to support Nintendo not making new console hardware.
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By dtat

I'd like to point out that we're allowed to disagree.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By Diamond
@Dtat:  My analogy is that Nintendo would have nothing to gain by not making consoles.  Them making higher spec games is a pipe dream just like getting an insane deal on hardware.  Many people would agree with your wishes but noone sees how that is practical.
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By dtat
@Diamond: Oh definitely! Maybe it would have been better if instead of (blog post) it said (pipe dream) haha!  You're absolutely right. It is not practical. It's fun to dream though!
nmarchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By nmarchan

This is ridiculous.   

It's like saying Microsoft and Sony should stop making consoles because the hardware is inferior to that on PCs, and therefore you can't make the same kinds of awesome games you can on PC, etc. and so forth.   

aka it's dumb.  

Incidentally, you can totally make the same kinds of games on Wii that you can on the PS3 and 360, because the games we're getting on those consoles THIS gen are the same kinds we got on consoles LAST gen, they just look better.  If any console brought new gameplay to the table this gen, it was the Wii.  Which is why we have Sony and Microsoft aping Nintendo's advancements yet again.  

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By meteora

Nintendo is swimming in money with the Wii hardware. 

They will not listen to your pleas.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Emilio
@President_Barackbar said:
" You know, at this point I basically consider Nintendo to be in the toy business. That's basically what the Wii is, a toy. it doesn't really have features that most gamers want. The folly everyone seems to be a part of is thinking Nintendo wants to be like Sony and Microsoft. They are #1 in sales because they make products for the biggest and easiest sales demographic: kids. Its easy to get kids to buy games, and that's why so much shovelware exists for the platform. Every once and a while they throw out a quality title for actual gamers, but for the most part their business model works just fine. They can survive on kids games and kids sales alone because Sony and Microsoft can't crack that market. "
I'm wondering if this is a troll post. If it is 100% serious, then I have to say you are wrong on so many levels. I'm counting at least nine levels.
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Emilio:  Oh no, the guy with the Donkey Kong avatar is going to fight me about how much better Nintendo is than I think. Looking forward to it bro... Also, saying "wondering if this is a troll post" doesn't make you cooler or invalidate my opinion. Jerk.
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#68  Edited By bonbolapti
@Dtat said:
" It's true that Nintendo used to have the trump card of motion controls, but that has changed with the advent of the Move and Kinect. "
The only problem I have is this sentence. I think the Move and Kinect have missed the boat. that being said, I think Nintendo could benefit from a Wii successor anytime they're ready to let the cat out of the bag.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I would just like to play my Wii games the way they're meant to be played. We have these discs of good looking games, and we put them in the Wii, and they come out looking all muddy. The Wii 2 should un-muddy them. That would be awesome.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By davidh219

Yeah, this is never going to happen. Let's just hope that the next Nintendo console isn't horribly underpowered. I would hate to own a console where every cross platform game is horrible on it for two generations in a row. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Claude

Pathetic losers, the lot of you. Look above me. Gross negligence from HD interference. Play the games and then judge, most of you judge without playing.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#72  Edited By galiant

Growing up with Nintendo was great, but I don't enjoy Nintendo products as much as I used to.

At this point it doesn't matter to me what they do. I'll give them another chance when they release their next console, because with all the money they've made it's bound to happen eventually.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#73  Edited By Bollard
@Sweep: It would have sounded silly if I had said "Three Characters" though.
Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Eidderf

I'd love a console which could play all the good first party games produced (which is what it sounds like you are trying to say), but we all know the reasons that won't happen and probably wouldn't be that great for us people if it did.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Azteck

People need to stop listing the Wii as the super-cheap console. I just had a look at a local retailers website for prices of the three major consoles  

ConsoleConverted US Price
SEK (Swedish Kronor)

Xbox 360 - 250GB
 $338 

2 290:-

Wii (White) + Nunchuck
 $279 

1 890:-

Playstation 3 - 320GB

$ 418

2 829:-

Now this might be because things are ridiculously expensive in Sweden (seriously) but the difference in price is not that much. Not anymore at least.
j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By j_drace
@Dtat:  I promised myself that I wouldn't say this and that I would give your post a shot, but honestly you're an idiot.  Did you not think of the fact that maybe Nintendo's next console will be high end.  Nintendo has been in the video game industry a lot longer than both Microsoft and Sony, they are also a lot more successful.  I love my XBOX 360 and PS3, but the industry is Nintendo's game.  They decide what's next.  Wii basically had Kinnect and Move back in 2006 and now 3DS will push through 3D, which I am sure will be incorporated in to Nintendo's next home console.  I can honestly say that on top of that only idiots think PS3 and 360 are the better console.  Yes, they have better hardware and the Wii's low-mid hardware really pissed me off, but when it comes to games, creativity, and originality Nintendo has it.  On the list of 360s highest selling games only 3 of them are first party and 9 of them are all shooters as opposed to the Wii which are all first party games.  The highest selling 360 game is HALO 3 with 8 million copies as opposed to the highest selling WIi game, Mario Kart Wii, which has sold 24 million.  Nobody needs to stop making consoles, but if one company truly had to it would be Microsoft with their generic shooters get from point a to point b because more than half of it's users are too stupid to beat a dungeon in Zelda.  Numbers don't lie bro. 

Also if you haven't noticed I didn't say anything about the PS3 because while it does have a good mix of third party and first party games I don't really view it as a competitor since it's games don't sell that well.  Also on a side not play the WIi when you're high especially Super Mario Galaxy and then you will realize how crazy of a console it is.
fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#77  Edited By fox01313

The Wii & other Nintendo hardware isn't bad as they did at least learn something (hopefully) from the virtual boy, to me the Wii needs HD as well as decent HDD memory space but that's it. I think that the main issue with nintendo is the overdose of shovelware & silly peripheral hardware that they dump into their systems ever since the first NES.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By meteora

I know I posted in here earlier but I just wanted to let you know that I'm glad you're not the CEO of Nintendo. :3

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#79  Edited By Geno

Silly OP, don't you know that Nintendo makes a lot of money off of hardware? They were making money off the Wii at launch while Sony and MS were losing money on their consoles (in Sony's case, a lot of money). Add in peripherals that should've come with the console in the first place (did you know the Wii has a USB to ethernet adapter? >.>) and a good marketing campaign, and you've got a money printing machine. 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#80  Edited By EpicSteve

I don't think you get the point of a business. Nintendo isn't for "us" anymore, it's a totally separate brand in many aspects. It's like getting mad at Twilight for not making Vampires badass killers.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Hitchenson

So by that logic all consoles should cease to exist and video games should only be made on PC? 

...No.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#82  Edited By Sayishere

i have thought of this

i love nintendos first party games, zelda, mario, donkey kong

but to be fair, nintendos past record speaks for itself

NES  
SNES
N64
Gamecube

these consoles were amazing and targeted the hardcore gamer IMO

even the gamecube, which was considered a failure was amazing imo

the wii was different and made a impact at the start, its coming to the end of its life cycle

i just hope nintendo go back to what the hardcore gamer wants!

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Emilio
@President_Barackbar:  
Fight you? Ohohoho, surely you're mistaken, Mr. President. Those are not my intentions. 

Besides, all three consoles are toys, and kids love to play video games on them.