Only at EB Games

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By makari

I was just browsing the EB Games Australia website for a price check on Mass Effect as I never got around to playing it, and something interesting caught my eye:

No Caption Provided

This is, of course, the power of choice, and the inevitable outcome of the Used Game Wars.

For reals link here for those that don't believe what they're seeing.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

Also take note the cheaper one is the pc version

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ineedaname
@OmegaPirate said:
" Also take note the cheaper one is the pc version "
Which then makes that whole thing make sense.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By EpicSteve

Either way. As an ex EB employee, I apologize to everyone I asked to give me a pre-order. 

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By bwooduhs

I see that quite a lot on the nz site. Especially when theres a sale on. Like earlier this year when a preowned Fallout 3 was more expensive than a new collectors edition.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_A_Drain

I don't get it...

Games been out for ages, it's cheaper. Common sense, nothing to do with used games. Games are getting cheaper quicker because of the recession though. Mass Effect has been £10 here for months and months now brand new (compared to 44.99 on release)

Ohh. I get it, ones preowned. But the new one is the PC release, PC releases are always cheaper than console releases, why the hell is the pre-owned price for that so high though? The games been out for fucking ages. It should be ridiculously cheap by now.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

PC games are always cheaper than 360 games. It's a fact of life. And 360 games hold their value better, so a new PC one will cost less than a preowned 360 one. I bought mass effect new on the PC a few weeks ago for £5 (about $8). I'd probably struggle to find the 360 version for £15 (about $25) preowned.

EDIT: I've just noticed those are australian prices, so my dollar conversion probably means nothing to you, but either way, PC games cost less than 360 games. That's the point. The currency makes little difference.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_A_Drain
@MattyFTM:

You can get MAss Effect on 360 for £10 almost anywhere you look, brand new. Admittedly it's all leftover stock as they aren't printing them anymore, but everytime I go in there HMV still has a fuckton of them. And second hand again a tenner seems about the avg price.
Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By guerrilla_mason
@EpicSteve said:
" Either way. As an ex EB employee, I apologize to everyone I asked to give me a pre-order.  "
Pfft, that was the best part of working there. Seeing people get mad over me asking them a question was great. It's almost like punching a cashier for asking 'Paper or plastic?'
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Jeffsekai

Wow, OP is a dumbass.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Guerrilla_Mason:

If they onyl ask once sure, but if they say "Paper of Plastic" and you hand them the notes, to which they then respond "Sure you don't wanna pay by card? You get to pay interest on your card, isn't that exciting! You also get a free pen for paying by card, don't you want a free *DOOF*" Yeah, punched in the face.

Also, asking a guy how he wants to pay for his purchase is actually nothing at all like bugging him to buy stuff he doesn't want.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By gingertastic_10

There's a Used Game War? Is it in Iraq also?

guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By guerrilla_mason
@The_A_Drain: First, we must have an entirely different understanding of what 'paper of plastic' means. haha And, second, yeah, it would get annoying if people bashed you over the head with it.  I keep forgetting that some EBs/GameStops are utter crap. The one that I worked at, and all the ones I've been to, with a few exceptions, have been awesome. And there were some where I'd with they'd talk MORE to me.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_A_Drain
@gingertastic_10:

Yeah man, didn't you know? Gamestop and EBgames employees are fighting the second hand stores and pawn shop owners. Not sure why they're doing it in iraq though.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Guerrilla_Mason:

What does it mean out of interest? I assumed it meant do you want to pay with cash or card, guess I was wrong :)

Stores vary from place to place, round here we have Game, and I never get asked to preorder stuff etc, occasionally if i'm buying a game i'll get "Do you want the guide with that? It's only *cheaper* if you buy it with the game" and sometimes I do in fact want the guide, if only for artwork or shits and giggles. But I never get pestered. The other store in my area, Gamestation treats me like shit though, but they dont pester me, quite the opposite they go out of their way to be hella lazy and rude to customers.
ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShadowKiller

That's mental considering I went to an EB and picked up a BRAND NEW copy of Mass Effect for Xbox for $10 a few months ago.

guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By guerrilla_mason
@The_A_Drain: Now that I think about it, I haven't heard the term in forever either. Well, 'back in my day,' paper or plastic meant 'do you want paper sacks or plastic sacks?'  Usually only asked at a grocery store.  And there's a GameStop near me that is like the Gamestation you described.  It seems like they're angry at you when they (if they even do this) bag your stuff up.  I've been to the store a few dozen times probably, and they've sacked my stuff maybe, MAYBE, half the time.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PureRok

The only thing I found funny was how the PC version cost more than the 360 version before the price cut.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Diamond
@MattyFTM said:
" PC games are always cheaper than 360 games.
Not always.  Especially if the 360 game has been out longer.

Other cases too, Orange Box is cheaper on 360 and PS3 than PC...
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Guerrilla_Mason:

Yeah, it's just an awful bunch of employees usually, it changes because they change so often, but the managers been there for years and hes a complete twat, and i'm guessing he puts everyone else in a bad mood.
dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By dsplayer1010

PC games are usually cheaper than 360 games