Pet peeves and false assumptions about videogames.

• 90 results
Philski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Philski

@NoelVeiga said:

Great point, great new perspective.   There's a bunch of new researchers (some of them way older than you may assume) that are actually starting to dip their toes into the field in the areas that are really interesting about videogames, but too much of the research money is still coming towards "does videogame violence harm children" stuff and ending up in researchers that don't understand the field they are studying. It does seem a waste (especially when it's done with taxpayer money) when the edgy new people are looking at using game design concept to make people follow basic rules, help them get better at stuff or just make better games and, in turn, improve the quality of an art form and culture in general. "

I agree, maybe I should have avoided painting with such a wide brush because it seems to be more of an exposure thing than necessarily an age thing.  You're definitely right about promising new stuff, though.  It seems like academic conferences these days have more and more stuff about games, and more and more of it is coming from people that actually grew up with and play games.  I think a lot of the researchers I alluded to earlier do fine work, but there's potentially a lot of subtlety and nuance there that you can't really explore if you don't know anything about video games and don't really classify them in any way other than "violent versus non violent" (for example).  For instance, someone that plays a lot of games would tell you there are many profound differences between an experience like Bioshock and one like GTA 4, but they wouldn't really seem all that different to someone that doesn't play games at all and typically only thinks of them as violent versus nonviolent.  Like you say, researchers that don't necessarily understand the field they're researching might not necessarily be well-equipped to ask the right questions, or understand why they're getting the results that they are.  But either way, it's definitely changing for the better with time.  
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#52  Edited By Video_Game_King
@HandsomeDead: 

Citizen Kane was a thinly veiled "fuck you" to William Randolph Hearst, who is pretty much the model for evil corporate businessmen.
Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Hairy_Fish
@JazGalaxy said:
 games are just emperically  easier than they used to be. In New Super Mario Brothers, Mario has 3 hits to die instead of 2. In Zelda Link has quarter hearts instead of half hearts. In Hard Corps Rising, the characters take damage instead of having one hit kills. Almost every game on the shelf allows you to save after every level and usually many times in between. Heck, Nintendo has an option to play the game for you if you can't pass an obstacle. FPS games now let you just stand still in order to recover health instead of having to manage it. Final Fantasy allows you to spec your characters however you like and almost every single one of them is capable of both offensive and defensive capabilities. 

These aren't "better game design" options, they were decisions that were made to keep gamers from losing because the focus of games has changed from challenge to "experience".

Games don't evolve, but trends in game design do. It's simply counter productive for gamers to lose when a developer is trying to sell a "cinematic experience". It kills the pacing, it kills the tension, it kills the atmosphere, it makes the gamer pay attention to all the stuff they're not supposed to be paying attention to. It's like the ride breaking down in the middle of space mountain. "
Nailed it.
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By JazGalaxy
@NoelVeiga said:
"Hey, nice discussion going here. I like it. Thanks for being assertive but respectful and disagreeing politely, guys.  

OK, I can't answer to everything everybody said, so let me just quickly address the common things people are saying. 

"These things are just opinions you have". 

Well, sure, but then that's true of everything you think is true or false. I mean, whether or not women and men should be equal is a matter of opinion, but that doesn't mean both opinions are equally right. I was going for opinions that the Internet assumes as known facts that are indisputable but aren't really based on fact. 

"Games WERE harder, WTF are you talking about" 

Ok, that's the one that got to most people, so let me clarify what I'm saying here. 

Games were certainly harder to *play* more often than not, but they weren't designed to be harder to provide a higher level of challenge. Yes, we were kids and that made Buster's Hidden Treasure and Aladdin feel much harder than they really are (I bring them up because I played both recently on a nostalgic binge and... yeah, those games aren't difficult at all), and not every game was Contra or Megaman, but that's not the core of my argument here. 

What I'm saying is that there was never a concerted effort to make games challenge the player with unparalleled difficulty and there isn't an effort to make games stupidly easy. In fact, people with nostalgic views about this that think games were harder and more willingly challenging before have gone out and made games that are ridiculously hard like Super Meat Boy or Demon's Souls... and then proceeded to not put in all the coping mechanisms of old games, like cheats and easy early stages. 

A misconception is that all old games were harder, which is just not true. A misconception is that all games were harder on purpose, which is not true, many were just poorly designed or trying to hide a shamefully low amount of content. A misconception is that modern games are easier, which is not true, they are just more accessible, which is a different thing. A misconception is that modern hard games are channelling old games, which is not true, they are producing difficulty in different ways with different coping mechanisms and paths to improve, most of the time (Megaman 9 and 10 are exceptions to this, of course). 

On this, there is one thing I want to address directly: 

@JazGalaxy said: 

well, again, I disagree with what you're saying.  I don't even think that this a thing that has multiple sides. As I've mentioned before and can do all night long, games are just emperically  easier than they used to be. In New Super Mario Brothers, Mario has 3 hits to die instead of 2. In Zelda Link has quarter hearts instead of half hearts. In Hard Corps Rising, the characters take damage instead of having one hit kills. Almost every game on the shelf allows you to save after every level and usually many times in between. Heck, Nintendo has an option to play the game for you if you can't pass an obstacle. FPS games now let you just stand still in order to recover health instead of having to manage it. Final Fantasy allows you to spec your characters however you like and almost every single one of them is capable of both offensive and defensive capabilities.  These aren't "better game design" options, they were decisions that were made to keep gamers from losing because the focus of games has changed from challenge to "experience".    

Those are all in fact game design decisions driven by how each successive game has changed. New SMB is actually a very hard game, with more going on and more opportunities to make a mistake than in World, let alone the first SMB, for instance. There can be multiple players onscreen, Koopas sometimes stop to dance and throw off your timing, you can now triple jump and backflip and do all sorts of new things that are required to make it past the stages. In many games, the added complexity ends up requiring more room for any one of them to go wrong and players still being able to make it to the end of the stage. 

It's different with rebounding health in FPSs. Health management was a bad design choice. It didn't let designers know how hard the encounters they were designing were going to be, because they never could know if the player was going into the fight with 100 health or 10, so they couldn't design the challenge to fit the situation. Is this fight going to be harder or easier than the next? Who knows, it depends on how much health they have! All they could do to control this is drop a bunch of medikits before a hard section to make sure you went in at full health, but that kills the suspense, because we all know that when you get tons of health something big is going to happen. Rebounding shields let designers control the pace of a game and design better situations more accurately. FPSs are not easier. I'm replaying Doom now and with modern FPS controls on a 360 that game is actually surprisingly easy. You can dodge enemy bullets. I mean, literally walk around them. You don't need to reload, so it's easy to just keep shooting at people with no tactics in mind. I'm playing on the second hardest level there and let me tell you, I'm dying less than on Halo on veteran. And I have save slots whenever I want, so I can do my own checkpoints whenever I want. 

@JazGalaxy said:
  Games don't evolve, but trends in game design do. It's simply counter productive for gamers to lose when a developer is trying to sell a "cinematic experience". It kills the pacing, it kills the tension, it kills the atmosphere, it makes the gamer pay attention to all the stuff they're not supposed to be paying attention to. It's like the ride breaking down in the middle of space mountain. "
That was also true back then. Games that were trying to sell a cinematic experience usually managed failure differently. In adventure games you often couldn't die, just get stuck. PC games would let you save at any point just by tapping a "quicksave" key, so in things like Half Life when you died you could reappear wherever you wanted and retry right away to keep the game going. The techniques designers that want an immersive experience that isn't too challenging use have changed sometimes, but that doesn't mean games have gotten easier as a general trend or that there weren't coping mechanisms provided for gamers in older design patterns. "

Well, yet again, I compeltely disagree. To suggest that old gameplay styles are abandoned because they're inferior is just not getting game design. I mean, let's take Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age 2. Both of these games are arguably dumbed down when compared to their precursors, but the designers claim that this is " better". Some agree. LEGIONS of fans of the genre do not.When a game design decision is alienating hundreds or thousands of fans of a genre, it's nota "better" choice. It's just trendy. It makes different people like the game, and sometimes more people like the game.Country music isn't beter than rock music even though it sells more units. Rap music isn't better than classical music because it sells more units. Football isnt' a better sport than baseball because it sells more tickets. Etc.This is doubly important for game design because those same choises that you are saying are "inferior" will come back into style eventually. Adventure games are experiencing a resurgence, as are fighting games. 2D platformers are also coming back into fashion. WW2 FPS games are dying as are Action sports gamesand driving games. Only an idiot would say we've evolved past car driving games. 

In response to your comment about recharging health and fps games, managing health was NOT bad game design. It's game design that isn't trendy. It will come back into fashion soon enough because developers will realize everything they threw away when they got rid of the system. I mean, heck, let's take the Legend of Zelda for example since it's one fo my favorite games. 

In TLOZ, Link will frequently take hits and die. Therefore, it is necessary for link to purchase items that will allow him to live longer. Shield, hearts, potions, etc. In order to buy things, he has to have money. This encourages him to solve puzzles, explore dungeons, and engage monsters in order to make money to buy things with. This encourages interaction wtih teh gaem world and play.In later TLOZ games, link is much less likely to take damage, and when he defeats an enemy, he is reqarded with more health htan he can carry.This means he no longer has to buy health powerups to keep going. This means he no longer has to sovle puzzles, explore orengage enemies to make money. This means eh interacts less with the gameworld and the player has less of a reason to play the game. This isn't better game design, it's broken game design. In Twilight Princess there were dungeons where the reward for completing puzzles was money, but with nothing to spend money on, it was almost iimpossible for link to enter the dungeon wwithout full moneybag already. No reason to fight nmonsters. No reason to solve puzzles. No reason to do anything but kill the boss and get out.
Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Deeveeus
@NoelVeiga said:
 - Long is good. Most players don't finish their games. Shorter games like Portal or Limbo prove that short games are a good thing, particularly if you have a big stack of unplayed or unfinished games, a wife, a dog, a job or something to do with your time other than grind the middle bits of yet another JRPG.     
I am with you 100% on this, FF 13 took me well over a year to get through. and it was just a pain in the ass (course so did AC 2....but that game was awesome, so I won't complain lol)

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By JazGalaxy

@NoelVeiga: 

Also, if we're going to continue, I feel like we have to decide what constitutes a hard game. To say that Sup New Super Mario Brothers is hard makes me wonder what on earth you're talking about. I find that game to be almost unfailable and in no way in line with the difficulty of any of it's predecessors. 

My brother and I played it this christmas and I eneded up failing only a handfull of times. And, tehre's unlimited ocntinues with no penalty if THOSE aren't enough for you. 

The same christmas we were playing Legend of The Mystical Ninja for the SNES and finally beat it after TWENTY YEARS.

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Deeveeus
@nintendoeats said:
" I challenge you to go find me a 6 hour PSX game. "
Fantastic Four...2hrs max 
Medal of Honor 
Ace Combat 2  

and I cannot think of any more...(Replays of RE of MGS don't count really...so I wont say those)...you have a point... 

That said, with a busy ass life, I much prefer the shorter games these days. Magic time for me is around 10-15 though
MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#58  Edited By MudMan
@JazGalaxy said:

Well, yet again, I compeltely disagree. To suggest that old gameplay styles are abandoned because they're inferior is just not getting game design.   

Yet that is not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that old gameplay styles changed as the content changed. We had three lives and three continues because we were working from the framework of a coin-operated industry. That wasn't bad design, it was appropriate to the context and the content, but as the environment changed and games became endlessly replayable for a flat fee, so did the way to control failure and the concept of lives and continues fell by the wayside. 

That is different than being popular or trendy, though. You are right, WWII games are not trendy right now, but that doesn't make Company of Heroes worse. The fact that Warcraft 1 wouldn't let you select multiple units but Warcraft 2 did, though, is a design change based on improvements on technology and gameplay design. Does that mean that Warcraft 1 was a better game because it was harder to put together an attack?

@JazGalaxy

said:

let's take the Legend of Zelda for example since it's one fo my favorite games.  In TLOZ, Link will frequently take hits and die. Therefore, it is necessary for link to purchase items that will allow him to live longer. Shield, hearts, potions, etc. In order to buy things, he has to have money. This encourages him to solve puzzles, explore dungeons, and engage monsters in order to make money to buy things with. This encourages interaction wtih teh gaem world and play.In later TLOZ games, link is much less likely to take damage, and when he defeats an enemy, he is reqarded with more health htan he can carry.This means he no longer has to buy health powerups to keep going. This means he no longer has to sovle puzzles, explore orengage enemies to make money. This means eh interacts less with the gameworld and the player has less of a reason to play the game. This isn't better game design, it's broken game design.  

Ok, yeah, that's a great example, let's go with it. Why did TLOZ need to cause more damage and restrict health? What was it addressing with that? 

Well, size, obviously. It was a game with a very small map 

http://www.zelda-infinite.com/games/zelda1/overworld.gif 

Compare that with A Link to the Past, let alone Wind Waker or any other 3D Zeldas:  

http://www.playthenes.com/images/random/zelda3_overworld.jpg  
and the dark world 
 http://zs.ffshrine.org/link-to-the-past/maps/dark_world.png 

I've looked up speedruns. If you know what to do in TLOZ apparently you can breeze through it in 35 minutes. Ocarina of Time was 100 minutes (LTTP is unreliable, because it can be glitched to completion, so you get speedruns of five minutes out there). 

That's three times shorter. Sure, it could take you longer to do TLOZ on the first run than Ocarina of Time. There's a good reason for that. The design of LTTP is reacting to the memory limitations of the NES by extending its limited assets for longer. I have a hard time arguing that games were better because they needed to fit in two megs, or that repetition and multiple deaths (or mulitple runs to the shop to buy health) make a game better than more assets, video, audio, a larger expanse of ground or more detailed environments. I don't like the argument that because gamers had a harder time finding their way around the game they were more engaged, either, especially when the game was certifiably shorter, smaller and less complex.  

The money issue is a different thing, though. Zelda games have always had a problem with their reward structure there. Money is grindable in Zelda (already in TLOZ, if I remember correctly), which means it's devaluated as a reward because you can grind it when you need it and it can max out, so it can become disposable. If anything, that's a legacy issue with games rewarding you with "score" not carrying over well to the RPG environment where you use money to buy stuff.  

Modern RPGs have better economy, so money rolls out at a reasonable pace to let you buy some stuff or decide between putting all your cash towards an expensive good item or save it for multiple weaker things to keep all your party on the same level. It's not like modern games have gotten worse at managing that at all.

@JazGalaxy said:

In response to your comment about recharging health and fps games, managing health was NOT bad game design. It's game design that isn't trendy. It will come back into fashion soon enough because developers will realize everything they threw away when they got rid of the system.   

Sorry, but you'll have to explain this better. How was it not bad game design? I've put forth my reasons for why it was: it meant the difficulty was unpredictable, so games couldn't be properly paced and balanced. It meant that you needed to drop tons of health before hard parts, so players knew the set pieces were coming when they saw all the medikits. It meant that barely making it past a tough section (which is fun and exhilarating, because it feels like you've accomplished something hard) often was worthless because you didn't have enough health to make it past the next easy section. It meant that quicksaving was a must, which went too far in the other direction and turned games into failure-less trial and error. 

So what's the argument then? What are the advantages that trump those disadvantages? How are those disadvantages not disadvantages?  

I mean, I feel the onus on proving this is on you, here. I'm siding with the way most FPS designers think. It's not the only way to do it (Left 4 Dead, for instance, doesn't control your health level, but it controls your medikit drops and the amount of enemies, so it has its own clever tools to control pacing) but it's a good way to do it, and if the choice is between Doom's plain scripted health pickups versus rebounding health, I'd argue that one option works better and offers more design options than the other.
MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MudMan
@JazGalaxy said:
"

@NoelVeiga: 

Also, if we're going to continue, I feel like we have to decide what constitutes a hard game. To say that Sup New Super Mario Brothers is hard makes me wonder what on earth you're talking about. I find that game to be almost unfailable and in no way in line with the difficulty of any of it's predecessors. 

My brother and I played it this christmas and I eneded up failing only a handfull of times. And, tehre's unlimited ocntinues with no penalty if THOSE aren't enough for you. 

The same christmas we were playing Legend of The Mystical Ninja for the SNES and finally beat it after TWENTY YEARS.

"
Good point. We are arguing over very fuzzy definitions. 

Let's break it down, then.  

There's difficult as in "requiring skill". On this level, NSMB is harder than SMB, probably about as hard as World, maybe on par with 3. On this level, Super Meat Boy is harder than all but a handful games ever on the NES and SNES. This is the difficulty I'm talking about.

There is difficulty as in "avoiding failure". Now, this is a different thing. A game can be easy but punish you a lot for failure. Many 8 and 16 bit games were like this. Sonic was very easy to play, but if you lost all lives and continues you had to start from scratch, so from that perspective NSMB is clearly easier. You have endless continues, more lives and the ability to skip entire sections at will. This, I suspect, is the difficulty you're talking about. 

And there is difficulty as complexity. In this sense, Civilization I is easier than Civ V but Hearts of Iron is harder than both, and all of those are harder than Super Meat Boy and Megaman. 

Do we agree on that? 

Fine. 

But I would argue that *my* difficulty actually exists while *your* difficulty is 100% about perception. Note that the first Super Mario Bros on NES AND SMB 3 both had unlimited continues also. The game never stopped. You could keep playing as much as you want. You just had to continue from world 1-1, but other than that, there was no possible failure. No state of the game prevented you from continuing to play whenever you wanted, as long as you start from the beginning.  

This may sound counterintuitive, but it's true. The only games that actually had a failure state back in the day were coin-op arcade games. When you lost all lives or health the game was over and you needed to "buy" the game again to keep playing by putting in another quarter. Home console games were merely simulating that experience. It's why the remake of TMNT Arcade or the re-release of X-Men Arcade on XBLA are pointless. As long as they let you put in "fake coins" the game has no sense of challenge at all because it never makes you lose any progress at all. Home console games using lives, then and now, force you to backtrack to one degree or another to simulate running out of quarters, but that isn't real failure, it's just a setback. You're not really out of quarters. 

But yeah, yours is a good point, we were probably arguing about different things. Our disagreement may be on this level, not on the other one, and clarifying what "difficult" is may solve it altogether, or at least we can discuss about this definition and leave the other issue for later.
hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#60  Edited By hansolol

Old Sonic was worth full price for the music alone.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#61  Edited By Grumbel
@NoelVeiga said: 

- Games are shorter now.

Shorter then their predecessors. An FPS with four hour single player campaign wouldn't have gained much friends back in the day.

Monkey Island is two hours long, Sonic games were what? One hour?

You will beat neither of those games in that time without a walkthrough or without plenty of prior training.

- Long is good.

Nobody is really saying "long is good", what people are complaining about are inconclusive, cliffhanger endings to unsatisfying single player campaigns. A game doesn't need to be long to feel complete, but an game that feels incomplete will certainly fall short. 

- Games are easier now. Yeah... no. Lucasarts games had no death.

Yeah, except back when LucasArts started with that it was something new, a heck of a lot of other adventure games had death. Today? You have no death in all adventure games. Instead of nine verbs, you have one. Your inventory never contains more then five items and if that isn't enough there is a build in hint system. Old adventure where far harder then any modern one and of course you didn't have the Internet to just download a walk through.

games came with cheats on them.

About which you wouldn't find out until month later. Super Contra with three lives? Not easy. 

but for every Megaman

Funny thing, I never considered Megaman especially hard. It after all was one of those few action games that had a proper password system and you could attack it in any order you liked, thus gain better weapons, etc. It wasn't an easy games but there where a lot of games I never finished, Megaman was never one of them. 

Hard is good. I've always wondered where this comes from. 

When people say that they generally mean "oversimplification is stupid".  Most people don't want an unbeatable game, but they very well might want one that gives them a feeling of accomplishment instead of being babysitted through a bunch of cutscene before watching the credits roll.

Console games are "dumbed down" when compared to PC games. 

Simple truth, take good PC flightsim and find me anything that even gets close on consoles.

(against Microsoft's best efforts. I mean, no default wireless support? Really?) 

Huh? I am using my wireless Xbox360 controller on PC just fine.

Keyboard and mouse beats controllers for FPSs. No they don't.

When it comes to precision, the mouse beats a gamepad any time. Its not even much of an argument, it can be pretty much proven by a quick look at the technical specs. Keyboard on the other side loses against a gamepad almost any time, as it lacks analog triggers, analog sticks, comfortable button placement, etc. It has more keys then a gamepad, but thats the only advantage it has. 

But of course precision isn't everything, I prefer comfortably leaned back gameplay any day of the week over mouse/keyboard, that doesn't stop mouse/keyboard being clearly superior in high speed FPS like Quake.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Grumbel
@CaptainCody said:
Maybe you're just bad at videogames? Also, yes, It has A LOT to do with nostalgia.
Sorry, but thats just flat out bullshit. He is completely right. Back in the day finishing a game was a rare accomplishment. Today it basically never is. If I don't finish a game these days its because it gets boring before the end, not because I get stuck on a hard section.  That was completely different in the old days.

If you wanna twist the definition and include the insane difficulty modes and getting every single achievement, sure I might agree, todays games have more option and thus can stretch length and difficulty more then old games, but those aren't really part of the core game, you can still reach the end on easy or normal without a problem. Back in the day you couldn't, "normal" was already incredible hard and there might not even have been an easy option to begin with. And luxuries like saves or endless retries where often missing as well.
MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By MudMan
@Grumbel said:

" @NoelVeiga said: 

- Games are shorter now.

Shorter then their predecessors. An FPS with four hour single player campaign wouldn't have gained much friends back in the day.    
Well, define "back in the day".  

Again, I looked up a video playthrough of Quake 2 online to see if your statement is right. You know how long that is? 2 hours. 2 hours of video. Granted, with no backtracking and no loading screens and the guy is very good. But still, go do Halo in two hours, or Call of Duty. In fact, I found one for MW2 and it was almost three times longer (no loading screens, but the guy is far worse at it. Still, 6 hours is what it takes).

The truth of the matter is that I had to look it up because I didn't know how long Quake 2 was because, back then, we didn't really count the hours a game took to complete.  I think that comes from games being more story-driven now that we can have proper voicework and plot and stuff. All of a sudden a playthrough is a thing. Back in Doom (which is kinda short, too) I spent tons of time aimlessly fooling around with IDKFA on. Modern Warfare is a game you want to play beginning to end and maybe not replay again or do another pass on a harder difficulty. So not shorter, then, but maybe people get less playtime because they replay less.    
   @Grumbel said: 

You will beat neither of those games in that time without a walkthrough or without plenty of prior training. 

Yeah, but we did have walkthroughs, didn't we? At worst the month after release, on the next issue of all magazines, and the Internet isn't that new, I had access to online FAQs as early as 96.  

@Grumbel said: 

Nobody is really saying "long is good", what people are complaining about are inconclusive, cliffhanger endings to unsatisfying single player campaigns. A game doesn't need to be long to feel complete, but an game that feels incomplete will certainly fall short.  

Well, no, I agree with that. It's not what I'm saying. You just said that games were longer before up there, not that they were inconclusive. I agree that To be continued is not what I want to see after ten hours of gameplay. 

@Grumbel said: 
Yeah, except back when LucasArts started with that it was something new, a heck of a lot of other adventure games had death. Today? You have no death in all adventure games. Instead of nine verbs, you have one. Your inventory never contains more then five items and if that isn't enough there is a build in hint system. Old adventure where far harder then any modern one and of course you didn't have the Internet to just download a walk through.  

Yes, you did have the Internet. At least after the mid nineties. And walkthroughs predate the net by a lot. Sure, you had to wait a month, but at that point I used to buy games *after* I read about them in magazines, not before, so I often got the game with a walkthrough in hand (I just didn't look at it until I got really stuck). 

Either way your argument doesn't suit the situation much. I just presented Lucasarts games as an example of an old game with no death, which was the case. The status of the genre itself is a bit more complicated than that.  

@Grumbel said: 
Simple truth, take good PC flightsim and find me anything that even gets close on consoles.  
 Come on. Not only did I already acknowledge that there are genres that PCs are better suited for due to their control scheme, but also flight simulators are all but dead in the water on the PC, too. And please, let's not make that a thing. It used to be that gamers played flight sims the way they play racing games today, as one more genre that was worth exploring. There's no question that is no longer the case. I mean, what good PC sim came out last year? Or the year before? Is there an active combat sim still out there? Is there any other successful flight sim other than Flight Simulator? And even if there was one, why don't I know about it? I used to play flight sims in the nineties and not feel weird about it.

@Grumbel said: 
Huh? I am using my wireless Xbox360 controller on PC just fine. 

Only bundles that include a special wireless receiver can be used on PCs. Why this is not included with all controllers and why controllers don't just use bluetooth is beyond me. 

@Grumbel said:

When it comes to precision, the mouse beats a gamepad any time. Its not even much of an argument, it can be pretty much proven by a quick look at the technical specs. Keyboard on the other side loses against a gamepad almost any time, as it lacks analog triggers, analog sticks, comfortable button placement, etc. It has more keys then a gamepad, but thats the only advantage it has. 

But of course precision isn't everything, I prefer comfortably leaned back gameplay any day of the week over mouse/keyboard, that doesn't stop mouse/keyboard being clearly superior in high speed FPS like Quake. 

Agreed on both counts. That was my point as well. People mistake precision and speed for higher quality, which is not the case. And controllers have the advantage of being technologically identical (custom pads excepted) and helping keep the playing field level versus the high amount of possible PC specs, resolutions, framerates, mouse quality, pad quality, response time and mouse resolution combinations.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#64  Edited By Icemael
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Icemael: Second, yes, I'm comparing them to other games, but once the score is set, shouldn't it be set for future games that remain the same? After all, if Mega Man X2 is the same as Mega Man X (I love a game that comes programmed with variables in it), then shouldn't Mega Man X2 hover around the same score as Mega Man X? Granted, opinions are subjective, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't treat them in objective ways. To me, it just seems off to say that a game is bad because it's exactly the same as a game you'll admit to loving. "
If you're still loving the first game just as much as you did when it came out, then yeah, obviously the second should have the same score if it's the same. But if you play other games that take the concept and make it better, you aren't going to love it as much. Case in point: years ago when it was the only fighting game I had played, I loved the original Tekken. I would easily have given it five stars. Now I've played Super Street Fighter II Turbo, The King of Fighters XI, Guilty Gear XX #Reload, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, Virtua Fighter 5 and a whole bunch of other, way better fighting games. Should I still give Tekken five stars?

Or how about this: let's say Tekken was the first fighting game ever made, and therefore revolutionary and easily worthy of five stars back when it was released. Let's say the franchise has remained the same since then. Let's say Namco has just put out Tekken 7, and I have to review it. Should I give it five stars in this world of Guilty Gears and Virtua Fighters, just because the first game was worth five stars decades ago and this one's the same?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Icemael: 

Wait, why should my opinion of another game directly affect my opinion of the first, at least in the way you're describing it? I'd acknowledge that the second game is better, but isn't it preferable to give it a better score, rather than lower the score of the other game? My opinion of the first game is mostly set in stone, at this point, so altering the score for it would show me changing my opinion of that game. But I didn't; I still love that game, but think that the second game is better.

First off: don't confuse 2D and 3D fighters. Although they play similarly, they are distinct. Second, if you gave the first Tekken five stars, I'm going to assume that you didn't really find any major flaws in it (as important as the first Fire Emblem was, I'm sure you can find Famitsu yelling at it for not including any way of saving progress). If that's the case, and Tekken 7 is the same as Tekken 1, then yes, Tekken 7 should get five stars. Those others games are still good, but I don't see how that really affects Tekken. However, I feel as though we're going to dive headfirst into a philosophy debate, so I'll wait.
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Grumbel
@NoelVeiga said:   

Yeah, but we did have walkthroughs, didn't we? At worst the month after release, on the next issue of all magazines, and the Internet isn't that new, I had access to online FAQs as early as 96.      

Yeah, a "month after release", which is quite a different thing then 30 seconds after typing the game name into Google. Today you can finish almost all games without Internet help in like three days, back then you often couldn't even beat it after having a month of trial and error. Remember all those rumors about "Shen Long" and whatever? Those managed to spread and survive for a long time because nobody really knew the answer to the question, there was no Youtube and GameFAQs that would tell you the last secret of game. Iif you had bad luck, you might have missed the magazine with the walkthrough or they might have never printed one for a less popular game.  

Come on. Not only did I already acknowledge that there are genres that PCs are better suited for due to their control scheme, but also flight simulators are all but dead in the water on the PC, too.

Yes, but they used to be a regular PC game genre, not some exotic niche thing that has almost died out, which is kind of the point, todays PC games are mainly console games that got ported to the PC, not PC games developed for PC audiences. Real PC games still happen, Stalker, DCS Black Shark (thats a flightsim), ArmA II, The Void and whatever, they happen to be mostly developed by Eastern European developers and they are frequently far more complicated then anything you'll find on consoles.

How many PC games can you name that moved over to consoles and got more complex in the process? Probably not many, but there are counterless examples of games that got drastically simplified when making the switch to consoles.  

All that said, one could argue that the simplification of PC games began quite some years prior to consoles becoming so dominant.

Only bundles that include a special wireless receiver can be used on PCs. Why this is not included with all controllers and why controllers don't just use bluetooth is beyond me. 

You can buy the wireless receiver individually without a problem and it works with any regular Xbox360 wireless pad. The reason they didn't used Bluetooth is that they hate standards and like to retain full control, thus if you want a third party gamepad on Xbox360, you have to pay Microsoft license fees and when you want to use your gamepad on PC you have to buy the receiver for $20 bucks from them instead of the $10 Bluetooth stick from another company.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Icemael
@Video_Game_King: The only 3D aspect of the first Tekken was its graphics. It was played on a 2D plane.

@Video_Game_King said:
" @Icemael: Second, if you gave the first Tekken five stars, I'm going to assume that you didn't really find any major flaws in it "
Flaws only exist because of relativity. I now think Tekken is slow, ugly, shallow and stiff (all major flaws). I didn't think so back then. The reason I didn't was that I hadn't played fighting games that were faster, prettier, deeper and more fluid.

@Video_Game_King said:
" I'd acknowledge that the second game is better, but isn't it preferable to give it a better score, rather than lower the score of the other game?"
The problem with this kind of reasoning is that scoring systems have limits. If I'm going to give this hypothetical Tekken 7 five stars, and Guilty Gear XX #Reload is way better and so deserves a way better score, I have no choice but to expand the scoring system. What we end up with then, is Guilty Gear XX #Reload getting ten stars out of ten, while Tekken 7 still gets five, only now it's out of ten so it's no longer as good. We'd have to repeat this process every time a groundbreaking fighting game came out, and eventually we'd end up rating Guilty Gear XYZ #Double Reload a hundred stars out of a hundred, and Tekken 22 five stars. Whenever the range of games expanded, the scoring system (i.e. the hierarchy) would have to as well.

That's a stupid way to go about it though, which is why instead of changing the scoring system, you just change the scores. Technically it's the exact same thing, but it's way less strenuous and confusing.
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Grumbel
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Icemael:   Wait, why should my opinion of another game directly affect my opinion of the first, at least in the way you're describing it? I'd acknowledge that the second game is better, but isn't it preferable to give it a better score, rather than lower the score of the other game?
Review scores are always relative to the other games on the market. An early Atari2600 game might have blown people away back in the day, but people wouldn't much care about it today, much less pay $50 for it. Thus yesterdays 90% games become todays 80% or 70%. Also not all games age equally well, Yoshi's Island is still one of the best 2D jump'n runs ever made, a lot of early 3D titles on the other side are borderline unplayable, graphics and controls have just progressed far to much (still enjoy RE1 more then RE1-remake ;-).
Ruggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By Ruggles
@NoelVeiga said:

Again, I looked up a video playthrough of Quake 2 online to see if your statement is right. You know how long that is? 2 hours. 2 hours of video. Granted, with no backtracking and no loading screens and the guy is very good. But still, go do Halo in two hours, or Call of Duty. In fact, I found one for MW2 and it was almost three times longer (no loading screens, but the guy is far worse at it. Still, 6 hours is what it takes).

Quick nitpick here. online video play-throughs are a very poor indicator of how long it takes for someone to get finish a game the first time through. On the slower side, you can find a casual, laid back, let's play blank. On the other hand, you can find a speed-run put together by many, very dedicated fans of a game who have spent hundreds of hours finding weird ways to get through a campaign as quickly as possible. 

I played through Quake 2 again about six months ago, and while I didn't measure the time it took, it's not anywhere near a two hour experience. I'd say I got at least a good eight to ten hours out of it, and I'm not a slouch when it comes to PC first person shooters.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Icemael: 

*sigh* I knew that this was going to go into philosophy, so I might as well dive in head first. True, opinions are relative, but why do they have to be compared against other games? Why not just the ideal game? Yes, I'm bringing Plato into this. For example, I don't know a lot about RTSes, but I can still review the hell out of one. How? Play the game, and form my ideal based on what I notice in the game. "Yes, this aspect is good, but I can imagine this one being better." The closer a game approaches your ideal, the better score it gets. Since your ideal probably isn't going to change a helluva lot...I forget where the hell I was going with this? Can you follow any of it? Because I can't really follow your second paragraph that well.

@Grumbel:

I think that I may have explained that away in my other response. However, for the aging thing, I'll just say that people were ignoring flaws that were present in those games in the first place (Earthbound Zero had too much grinding, exploring Zebes in Metroid was pretty much trial and error, etc.).
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#71  Edited By Jadeskye

based on the OP the author must be about 16 years old because i wouldn't call any of those misconceptions.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By MudMan
@Ruggles said:
" @NoelVeiga said:

Quick nitpick here. online video play-throughs are a very poor indicator of how long it takes for someone to get finish a game the first time through. On the slower side, you can find a casual, laid back, let's play blank. On the other hand, you can find a speed-run put together by many, very dedicated fans of a game who have spent hundreds of hours finding weird ways to get through a campaign as quickly as possible.  I played through Quake 2 again about six months ago, and while I didn't measure the time it took, it's not anywhere near a two hour experience. I'd say I got at least a good eight to ten hours out of it, and I'm not a slouch when it comes to PC first person shooters. "
I'm aware of that, but I don't have the time to replay those games for the sake of this argument and I don't want to just say "no, it was not longer" without supporting it at all. I still think, after seeing the youtube stuff, that Quake 2 isn't longer than you'd expect a modern FPS to be. Certainly there are longer modern FPSs, but Quake II was never a short game, and even at eight to ten hours, it is in the same range as many current releases. It's not longer than Bioshock or most Halo games, for instance, which does kind of fly in the face of the "games used to be longer" argument. And if you look at games from that period, Sin was shorter than Q2. And Half Life.

So yeah, you're not wrong, but I gave it the best shot I could to provide a frame of reference, and all I can find supports that no, FPSs weren't generally longer back then. 

In fact, I'd say that the problem is having a single player campaign at all. If somebody was putting Modern Warfare together in 1998, they would probably not have bothered. They'd just go the Quake 3 or Battlefield route, give you some scenarios with bots to train and just released the multiplayer so, from that perspective, you're already getting 5 more hours of story-driven single player campaign on top of what you used to get for comparable experiences, right?
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Grumbel
@Video_Game_King said:
@Grumbel:  I think that I may have explained that away in my other response. However, for the aging thing, I'll just say that people were ignoring flaws that were present in those games in the first place (Earthbound Zero had too much grinding, exploring Zebes in Metroid was pretty much trial and error, etc.). "
Yes, but you don't know that its a flaw until you have seen it done a better way, which in some cases can take many many years. I am sure many of todays highly polished AAA games will look like baby toys when we have smell-o-vision, 3D helmets, motion control and full body force feedback.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Grumbel: 

Again, I don't see that being the case. For example, I, again, cite Fire Emblem. People back then didn't really think "oh, that's just how it is" when they saw that you had to beat it in one sitting; they probably said "where's the save system?". However, given that there were save systems in other games, let's do it another way: first person dungeons. Again, I don't think people just dealt with it; they said "this sucks, for I don't know where the hell I'm going." You didn't really need first person shooters with maps to know that they sucked.; you just knew.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Icemael
@Video_Game_King: Well, first off, you can't imagine an ideal game. Whatever you imagine, there's always going to be something better that you just haven't though about, because perfection is infinite quality and infinity is unimaginable. And it would be worthless for reviewing anyway. People already know no game is infinitely good, so what's the point of saying it in a review? "Well, the graphics are the best I've ever seen in a game, but they would've been even better as virtual reality designed by an infinitely skilled modeler!" What's the point of such a statement? Just compare the game to what's relevant: other existing games (and, to a lesser extent, other things in general).
MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MudMan
@jadeskye said:

" based on the OP the author must be about 16 years old because i wouldn't call any of those misconceptions. "

*sigh* 

Unfortunately I'm almost twice that age. The whole reason for the post is that nostalgic assumptions today don't line up with my own memories of the time period. 

@Grumbel said: 

@NoelVeiga said:    

Yeah, a "month after release", which is quite a different thing then 30 seconds after typing the game name into Google. Today you can finish almost all games without Internet help in like three days, back then you often couldn't even beat it after having a month of trial and error. Remember all those rumors about "Shen Long" and whatever? Those managed to spread and survive for a long time because nobody really knew the answer to the question, there was no Youtube and GameFAQs that would tell you the last secret of game. Iif you had bad luck, you might have missed the magazine with the walkthrough or they might have never printed one for a less popular game.

Well, no, like I said it was also true that I and a lot of people did not preorder games as much. Now we have Internet hype 24/7, back then I often knew a game existed when I saw the review or the walkthrough in a magazine. In fact, I often ordered games straight from magazine ads for mail order specialized shops because, being from a smaller city, I had only smaller game shops available and they wouldn't carry all games. 

Yeah, I'm effin' old. 

So yeah, rumours were harder to disprove but overall I never stopped playing a game because I was stuck on a puzzle. 

And it's not like the puzzles were hard to begin with. Fate of Atlantis I did preorder, and the game didn't last a weekend. Hell, I clearly remember hitting a major bug on my solo playthrough 2/3rds into the game on the first day I had the game (a Saturday) and restarting on a coop playthrough. I had still seen the ending by Monday. 

I'll give you this, though. If you bought a lesser known game and there was no walkthrough you were screwed. The closest I've ever been to not finishing a game because of being stuck was on Discworld, which at the time wasn't well known. I also got the game late (as in, a few months post-release) and none of my back catalog of magazines had a walkthrough. Damn prune puzzle. I still have nightmares about it. 

@Grumbel said: 
Yes, but they used to be a regular PC game genre, not some exotic niche thing that has almost died out, which is kind of the point, todays PC games are mainly console games that got ported to the PC, not PC games developed for PC audiences. Real PC games still happen, Stalker, DCS Black Shark (thats a flightsim), ArmA II, The Void and whatever, they happen to be mostly developed by Eastern European developers and they are frequently far more complicated then anything you'll find on consoles.

How many PC games can you name that moved over to consoles and got more complex in the process? Probably not many, but there are counterless examples of games that got drastically simplified when making the switch to consoles.  

All that said, one could argue that the simplification of PC games began quite some years prior to consoles becoming so dominant.  
That's a bunch of different discussions in one, right there. 

Why did flight sims die? Man, so many reasons. They got too complex for their own good, to begin with. On a 286 you could barely fit enough physics to handle takeoff and landing, so the games were still kind of simple and kind of fun. By the 2000s you needed a dedicated rig and a 300$ flightstick, so who could be bothered anymore.  

I used to have an analogue stick with two buttons on it for flight sims, and I would brag about it and secretly consider it a bit of a waste of money, which doesn't reek of complexity from where I stand. Then the genre peaked for experts only, got too realistic for mainstream audiences and could never get out of the niche other than in arcade schlock like Ace Combat. Which, if you think about it, kind of looks and plays like Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe used to. 

I'll put it this way: I liked flight sims for the same reasons I liked Tie Fighter and, even though the genre is out of fashion these days, I'd have a hard time arguing that Tie Fighter was more complex than GTA IV or Gran Turismo 5. 

And games getting simplified across platforms... again, hard to measure. I don't think STALKER is that much deeper than Fallout 3, really. It's just a bit looser with its inventory and environment. ArmA is definitely over the top, but it's also way more complex than any other PC shooter, really, so it's not representative of the platform as much as of itself as an exception. 

And there is a reason for that, and for it being on PC. Developing for consoles costs money. The PC has no licensing fees or certification processes. You just code it and release it. That means it's very well suited to big niche games. When niche games become profitable enough, like sports or racing sims, they tend to be just as deep and intricate on consoles. Sure, management games are a PC affair more often than not, but no PC sports sim is deeper than its console counterpart, and it's not because it's a port.  

Likewise, there are tons of games that are deeper on consoles. For the longest time this was the case with fighting games, for instance. I was always a PC gamer, and Street Fighter 2 was a big reason why I stuck to my consoles (it WAS on the PC, mind you, and it looked better... but it played like crap). 

Oh, and as for the 360 controller, yeah, you can totally do those things, but it's still very annoying that it doesn't work just by plugging it. The reason, as you say, is MS's obsessive push to retain control, which is also why Games for Windows LIVE never took off.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#77  Edited By animateria
@Grumbel said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
@Grumbel:  I think that I may have explained that away in my other response. However, for the aging thing, I'll just say that people were ignoring flaws that were present in those games in the first place (Earthbound Zero had too much grinding, exploring Zebes in Metroid was pretty much trial and error, etc.). "
Yes, but you don't know that its a flaw until you have seen it done a better way, which in some cases can take many many years. I am sure many of todays highly polished AAA games will look like baby toys when we have smell-o-vision, 3D helmets, motion control and full body force feedback. "
No thanks for smell-o-vision... 

Because what we'll be smelling the most is blood of all kinds.
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Grumbel
@animateria said:
No thanks for smell-o-vision...   Because what we'll be smelling the most is blood of all kinds. "
Don't worry, till smell-o-vision will becomes mainstream, the FPS genre will have died out and people will enjoy the next generation of Flower.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Video_Game_King: Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for disregarding my point to give me the most basic IMDb fact of al time. Did you know Starship Troopers is a reflection of American militarism?
ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ozzdog12

I dont know if this is really a pet peeve, but people who assume games like Final Fantasy and other JRPG's are liked by everyone and if you dont like them, you shouldnt play videogames

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Video_Game_King
@HandsomeDead: 

To be honest, I'm not even sure what your point was.
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By JazGalaxy
@NoelVeiga said:
" @JazGalaxy said:

Well, yet again, I compeltely disagree. To suggest that old gameplay styles are abandoned because they're inferior is just not getting game design.   

Yet that is not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that old gameplay styles changed as the content changed. We had three lives and three continues because we were working from the framework of a coin-operated industry. That wasn't bad design, it was appropriate to the context and the content, but as the environment changed and games became endlessly replayable for a flat fee, so did the way to control failure and the concept of lives and continues fell by the wayside. 

That is different than being popular or trendy, though. You are right, WWII games are not trendy right now, but that doesn't make Company of Heroes worse. The fact that Warcraft 1 wouldn't let you select multiple units but Warcraft 2 did, though, is a design change based on improvements on technology and gameplay design. Does that mean that Warcraft 1 was a better game because it was harder to put together an attack?

@JazGalaxy

said:

let's take the Legend of Zelda for example since it's one fo my favorite games.  In TLOZ, Link will frequently take hits and die. Therefore, it is necessary for link to purchase items that will allow him to live longer. Shield, hearts, potions, etc. In order to buy things, he has to have money. This encourages him to solve puzzles, explore dungeons, and engage monsters in order to make money to buy things with. This encourages interaction wtih teh gaem world and play.In later TLOZ games, link is much less likely to take damage, and when he defeats an enemy, he is reqarded with more health htan he can carry.This means he no longer has to buy health powerups to keep going. This means he no longer has to sovle puzzles, explore orengage enemies to make money. This means eh interacts less with the gameworld and the player has less of a reason to play the game. This isn't better game design, it's broken game design.  

Ok, yeah, that's a great example, let's go with it. Why did TLOZ need to cause more damage and restrict health? What was it addressing with that? 

Well, size, obviously. It was a game with a very small map 

http://www.zelda-infinite.com/games/zelda1/overworld.gif 

Compare that with A Link to the Past, let alone Wind Waker or any other 3D Zeldas:  

http://www.playthenes.com/images/random/zelda3_overworld.jpg  
and the dark world 
 http://zs.ffshrine.org/link-to-the-past/maps/dark_world.png 

I've looked up speedruns. If you know what to do in TLOZ apparently you can breeze through it in 35 minutes. Ocarina of Time was 100 minutes (LTTP is unreliable, because it can be glitched to completion, so you get speedruns of five minutes out there). 

That's three times shorter. Sure, it could take you longer to do TLOZ on the first run than Ocarina of Time. There's a good reason for that. The design of LTTP is reacting to the memory limitations of the NES by extending its limited assets for longer. I have a hard time arguing that games were better because they needed to fit in two megs, or that repetition and multiple deaths (or mulitple runs to the shop to buy health) make a game better than more assets, video, audio, a larger expanse of ground or more detailed environments. I don't like the argument that because gamers had a harder time finding their way around the game they were more engaged, either, especially when the game was certifiably shorter, smaller and less complex.  

The money issue is a different thing, though. Zelda games have always had a problem with their reward structure there. Money is grindable in Zelda (already in TLOZ, if I remember correctly), which means it's devaluated as a reward because you can grind it when you need it and it can max out, so it can become disposable. If anything, that's a legacy issue with games rewarding you with "score" not carrying over well to the RPG environment where you use money to buy stuff.  

Modern RPGs have better economy, so money rolls out at a reasonable pace to let you buy some stuff or decide between putting all your cash towards an expensive good item or save it for multiple weaker things to keep all your party on the same level. It's not like modern games have gotten worse at managing that at all.

@JazGalaxy said:

In response to your comment about recharging health and fps games, managing health was NOT bad game design. It's game design that isn't trendy. It will come back into fashion soon enough because developers will realize everything they threw away when they got rid of the system.   

Sorry, but you'll have to explain this better. How was it not bad game design? I've put forth my reasons for why it was: it meant the difficulty was unpredictable, so games couldn't be properly paced and balanced. It meant that you needed to drop tons of health before hard parts, so players knew the set pieces were coming when they saw all the medikits. It meant that barely making it past a tough section (which is fun and exhilarating, because it feels like you've accomplished something hard) often was worthless because you didn't have enough health to make it past the next easy section. It meant that quicksaving was a must, which went too far in the other direction and turned games into failure-less trial and error.  So what's the argument then? What are the advantages that trump those disadvantages? How are those disadvantages not disadvantages?   I mean, I feel the onus on proving this is on you, here. I'm siding with the way most FPS designers think. It's not the only way to do it (Left 4 Dead, for instance, doesn't control your health level, but it controls your medikit drops and the amount of enemies, so it has its own clever tools to control pacing) but it's a good way to do it, and if the choice is between Doom's plain scripted health pickups versus rebounding health, I'd argue that one option works better and offers more design options than the other. "
what your saying makes absolutely no sense.  The way you're talking about these games makes me think you've never really played them, which makes me think you're young. 

If that's the case, then just listen: There's a thing here you're missing. Everyone else has commented on it and I'm commenting on it. It's probably something you'll never understand the way I'll never really understand what it was like to sit next to a radio and hear a radio drama. I can try and listen to one now, but without the context I'll just never understand. 

You can't go back and look up a speed run and make sense out of these games because what was fun about them can't be communicated though a speed run, and what is lost from games nowadays can't be communicated in a youtube video.
MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By MudMan
@JazGalaxy said:
what your saying makes absolutely no sense.  The way you're talking about these games makes me think you've never really played them, which makes me think you're young.  If that's the case, then just listen: There's a thing here you're missing. Everyone else has commented on it and I'm commenting on it. It's probably something you'll never understand the way I'll never really understand what it was like to sit next to a radio and hear a radio drama. I can try and listen to one now, but without the context I'll just never understand.  You can't go back and look up a speed run and make sense out of these games because what was fun about them can't be communicated though a speed run, and what is lost from games nowadays can't be communicated in a youtube video. "
I am, unfortunately, in my thirties. 

I watched Jurassic Park on opening day and didn't think much of it then. I loved Burton's Batman when it came out. I adored Last Crusade, both the movie and the game, and I preordered Fate of Atlantis and fully embraced it as Indy 4. I still do. 

And I remember the 80s and the 90s more clearly than I'd like. I remember playing Doom's shareware version over and over again. I played Quake 2 when it first came out in software mode because I couldn't afford a card that would run it in any kind of accelerated mode and I loved it still. And I remember how it wasn't that long and it was kind of full of padding and backtracking and it wasn't as good online as Quake 1, so it was  a bit controversial. 

So nope, that path won't work here. Sure, the speedrun is not a good representation, but at least it provides a data point. I know what it was like to play those games and I know what it's like to play modern games. I miss being a teenager sometimes, but I don't let that color my perspective of modern gaming, and it's not some kind of dumbed down, shortened down, simplified crap that doesn't remember what fun is about. Not by any means.
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By JazGalaxy
@NoelVeiga: Then what you're saying is utterly baffling. 

When you make comments like "the reason games made the decisions they made is because they were influenced by arcades" or "games used money as a substitute for score" makes it sound like your knowledge of games of that era isn't all that high... 

The games industry is just as, if not more, influenced by pen and paper role playing games and fantasy novels than it is by arcade units. WHen Richard Garriot was in his room as a teenager banging out Alkalabeth, he wasn't looking at coin op arcade units to see what decisions to make, he was looking at Gary Gygax and Dungeons and Dragons. And Gygax was looking at strategy war games and war games were looking at board games. 

See, "gaming" is a concept that has existed for hundreds if not thousands of years.  

I honestly suggest you read this book  

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-History-Video-Games-Pokemon--/dp/0761536434/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300493621&sr=8-2 

it's an incredibly fun read that is exhaustive in it's information about the origins of the game industry and why things are the way they are. Frequently the stories are related from the actual creators of the games themselves. I sat down to read it between classes in my college library and wound up reading the entire thing in one hours long sitting. 
MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By MudMan
@JazGalaxy said:

" @NoelVeiga: Then what you're saying is utterly baffling.  When you make comments like "the reason games made the decisions they made is because they were influenced by arcades" or "games used money as a substitute for score" makes it sound like your knowledge of games of that era isn't all that high...  The games industry is just as, if not more, influenced by pen and paper role playing games and fantasy novels than it is by arcade units. WHen Richard Garriot was in his room as a teenager banging out Alkalabeth, he wasn't looking at coin op arcade units to see what decisions to make, he was looking at Gary Gygax and Dungeons and Dragons. And Gygax was looking at strategy war games and war games were looking at board games.  See, "gaming" is a concept that has existed for hundreds if not thousands of years.   I honestly suggest you read this book    http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-History-Video-Games-Pokemon--/dp/0761536434/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300493621&sr=8-2  it's an incredibly fun read that is exhaustive in it's information about the origins of the game industry and why things are the way they are. Frequently the stories are related from the actual creators of the games themselves. I sat down to read it between classes in my college library and wound up reading the entire thing in one hours long sitting.  "

I read it a while ago, alongside Power Up ( http://www.amazon.com/Power-Up-Japanese-Video-Games-World/dp/0744004241/ref=sr_1_55?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300494954&sr=1-55), Game Over ( http://www.amazon.com/Game-Over-Press-Start-Continue/dp/0966961706/ref=sr_1_34?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300494925&sr=1-34) and a few of the other usuals of gaming history. I too have spent many afternoons avoiding to study in a college library. And then there is the fact that I did have several courses about gaming, hyperfiction and related subjects during my degree. If you ask me, most of those are simplistic, mythomaniac, not particularly rigorous and waaaay too US-centric, but still a good start and a fun read. 

I was also alive in the 90s and I can trace the roots of game mechanics with pretty decent accuracy. There is no denying that arcade limitations had a bearing in the management of failure (in fact, it came to mind as an example after it was the subject of one of the retro post-mortems of this year's GDC). Sure, so did Dungeons and Dragons, but that's neither here nor there, and it certainly doesn't contradict anything I said in this thread.  

The interesting thing of the lives problem is that nobody actually thought about it that much. Lives were something that happened, that became a convention because arcades predate videogames, too. Time and retries were common ways to handle money income in mechanical arcade novelty machines, early lightgun games, gambling machines and pinball machines. That carries over to Computer Space, Pong and Pac-Man and, regardless of what the nerds do elsewhere with their CRPGs and their text adventures, it *is* what shapes the early gaming industry and what defines its understanding of failure. 

For the record, I mentioned money on Zelda as related to score to justify its use as a reward despite being superfluous. Miyamoto did the same thing in the first Super Mario Bros, with that pointless score counter that nobody even notices, and so did the first Megaman. The point is that not everybody realized the implications of executing on a convention and not everybody bothered to design the conventions to match the game or the game around the conventions. Money or score as a reward makes sense, so who cares if your economy supports it, right? Fable II did the same thing, and it came out twenty years later, so it's not an obvious or uncommon mistake.
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#86  Edited By Aronman789

I hate it when people say "my pet- peeve is this", as if anyone gives a shit. 

And pet-peeve as a word sounds fucking retarded.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Grumbel
@NoelVeiga said:   

I'll give you this, though. If you bought a lesser known game and there was no walkthrough you were screwed. 

Yeah, and thats kind of the point. Back then failure was an option, beating a game was an accomplishment, not guaranteed. Today on the other side success is a near certainty and games provide plenty of savepoints and checkpoints, infinite continues and rechargable health to make sure of that.

Also you are focus on adventure games is kind of missing the point, when people generally talk about hard games they don't mean adventures games (which where quite a bit harder back then as well), but the regular action game. A Contra with three lives certainly provides a munch greater challenge then a modern AAA shooter with checkpoints every few feet.  Now if that is a good thing or not is a different question, but I find it hard to argue against that modern games are a lot easier then older stuff in their default difficulty setting. And even on hard they are generally managable, but some old games where even on normal near impossible. That is after all why Demon's Souls is so popular, it gives players a feeling of accomplishment that the average mainstream title doesn't provide.

I used to have an analogue stick with two buttons on it for flight sims, and I would brag about it and secretly consider it a bit of a waste of money, which doesn't reek of complexity from where I stand.

A two button analog stick won't help you much in a flightsim without your 105 key keyboard. Anyway, complexity isn't so much in the controls, but in what you have to do in a game. Far to many of days games can be solved by two simple actions:

1) point cross hair at enemy head, pull trigger
2) follow navigation big arrow

There is hardly ever any real thinking required. Puzzles have become extremely basic if they exist at all and there is really no need for planing or acting carefully. Now thats not to say every old game required you to be a genius, but even a simple games such as Doom required you to look at a map to figure out where you have to go.

And games getting simplified across platforms... again, hard to measure.

Not really, just look at game series that got ported over. Is Oblivion more complex then Morrowind? Dragon Age then Baldurs Gate? Fallout 3 then Fallout 2? Invisible War then DeusEx? It is of course not only the platforms themselves that matter, but just the general trend to more and more mainstream that lead to simplification and consoles just happen where the most mainstream is.

One could however argue that it is in large part a problem of perception and a problem of the gaming press. If I look at mainstream console games, yes, they have become easier and often less complex then their PC predecessors. But thats not all of gaming. The average Eastern European game will pretty much feel as hardcore as your late 90ies PC game and not try to babysit you through the whole game and might even require a look at the manual.
MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MudMan

We are going a bit in circles here. Smaller circles, but still.  

@Grumbel
said:

Yeah, and thats kind of the point. Back then failure was an option, beating a game was an accomplishment, not guaranteed. Today on the other side success is a near certainty and games provide plenty of savepoints and checkpoints, infinite continues and rechargable health to make sure of that.   

Sorry, that's not true. Completion for modern games is around 20-50%. I don't finish more games now than as a child. If anything, it's the opposite, and if only 10% of the players finished older games, then the Internet is full of liars. 

For the record, old PC games all had infinite savepoints and quicksaves could spawn checkpoints at will. I played sections of many FPSs quicksaving after clearing each room which, if anything is more checkpoints than in modern FPSs, not less. Only console games limited savestates, and they only did that because they didn't have memory to do anything else, not as a design choice. 

I find it hard to argue against that modern games are a lot easier then older stuff in their default difficulty setting. 

Whoa, whoa. Who said anything about "default difficulty setting"? How is that a factor? You're telling me that difficulty settings don't count? Why not? Is there a reason for it? I'd say that if the argument is that harder games are more rewarding (like Demon's Souls) then only one thing, maybe two are needed for a game to join that group of "rewarding games": A high difficulty (the second, optional thing, a reward for completion, that is, an achievement unlocked for doing it on Hard). The *name* of the difficulty setting has no bearing, and the availability of an easier difficulty doesn't, either. If that's the case, then Doom, Quake and all the "old FPSs" we were talking about earlier were piss-easy. 

There is hardly ever any real thinking required. Puzzles have become extremely basic if they exist at all and there is really no need for planing or acting carefully. Now thats not to say every old game required you to be a genius, but even a simple games such as Doom required you to look at a map to figure out where you have to go.

This is tiring, because you are saying things and I'm just answering "that's not true", but... that's not true. Doom only required a map because it was very poorly designed (half the maps were symmetrical) and it only had a few textures to work with, so everything looked identical. Modern games often have just as complex layouts, if not a completely open world, they just have more recognizable landmarks that you can use to find your way around the place. 

And puzzle and strategy games are alive and kicking. Hell, Plants vs. Zombies is often called a "casual" game, and even that requires long term planning and resource management that uses more elements than, say, the original Warcraft. Starcraft 2 isn't any simpler than the first. Proffessor Layton is a casual game for kids and soccer moms and it throws logic puzzles at players routinely that old adventure games would be very careful to include (really, most old adventures had only inventory puzzles based on the plot, logic puzzles were considered a bit of a no-no), and they get much harder than you'd expect. I just keep finding that your claims are not factual. At best, they are a matter of perspective. 

Not really, just look at game series that got ported over. Is Oblivion more complex then Morrowind? Dragon Age then Baldurs Gate? Fallout 3 then Fallout 2? Invisible War then DeusEx?

Morrowind was on consoles, too, and I'd argue that, since it was fully rendered and didn't recycle random dungeons it was in fact smaller but more complex than Daggerfall (although I still prefer Daggerfall, myself). Fallout 3 isn't any shallower than 2, either. It may even be a bigger game in sheer size, and it doesn't seem to lack any feature, on top of including fully voiced characters, a more intricate branching story an having seen expansions that put it well beyond the size of Fallout 2 at its best (still prefer Fallout 2, too, what can I say, I AM a nostalgic gamer). 

And it's not like games didn't get ported to consoles back in the days of yore. The Ultima series came out in consoles all the way to VII and Underworld. Dune 2 was on the Genesis and so was Syndicate. Syndicate Wars and Magic Carpet were on the PSX. Doom was on everything that could possibly run it, including the SNES and the PSX.  Hell, Elite and Maniac Mansion were on the NES. I played Discworld on a Saturn.

Oh, and viceversa, too. Console games got ported to PCs since forever. Street Figther 2 had a PC port. I played Final Fantasy VII and VIII on the PC. I played Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 on a PC. 

Like I said, we are going in circles. You are right, a lot of this is perception. People forget that there are tons of super hardcore games out there coming out every day and that there were really casual games released in the eighties and nineties, with no death and cinematic experiences and tons of checkpointing. People forget that PCs and consoles have had tons of overlap in games since forever. That's what gets to me. People aren't out there in an outcry to see more hardcore games (seriously, go give SpaceChem a ride. That game will kick your ass, and it came out two weeks ago) or to preserve a proud PC heritage, they are out there claiming that they want all gaming to be the kind of gaming they like. 

You know what that leads to? To becoming the comic book industry. To only ever doing one thing, being a one trick pony entirely devoted to entertaining a niche group of man-children that can't get over manly superheroes in tights as wish fulfilment. I want gaming to be more than that. Like literature and music and films, there can be something in it for everybody and it can reach different people with different stuff.  

This? This kind of "games were harder when I was a kid and they are all casual crap now and they are all dumbed down consolified shite"? It's hurting gaming. I'd like it to stop.  

But hey, I won't convince you and you won't convince me. You've been very patient and tried very hard to argue reasonably, so thanks for that. I'll let you take the last word if you want and then call it agree to disagree if you're fine with that.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#89  Edited By dbz1995
@Video_Game_King said:
" Tons, like "if a series is staying the same, then it's getting worse" or...no, that's the big one. "
Bang. Got it in one.
 I'm also going to add 'all video games are violent' and 'violent video games are the only ones worth playing' into the false assumption list.
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Grumbel
@NoelVeiga said: 

Whoa, whoa. Who said anything about "default difficulty setting"? How is that a factor? You're telling me that difficulty settings don't count?   

Ok, before spinning further in circles, lets clarify a bit. There are games where you never get to the end of the story, never make past a boss or otherwise just give up because they are hard. Thats what I think most old games are. They weren't just hard because they where hard on their default difficulty, but because they lacked an easy mode. 

On the other side there are games that can be hard if you chose so. That is what modern games are. You can play them on Vederan/Hard/Extreme/Professional difficulty and get a challenge from them, but here the hard part is an option, nobody is forcing you to play them on hard, you can always switch to normal or easy and be pretty much guranteed to make it to the end if you don't get bored, as any kind of serious challenge evaporates.

Thus the main difference between old games and new games is not so much in the hardness, as that is an option, but in the lack of way to make them easy (not counting ActionReplay, trainers, hacks, whatever that aren't part of the game).  

Doom only required a map because it was very poorly designed (half the maps were symmetrical) and it only had a few textures to work with, so everything looked identical. Modern games often have just as complex layouts, if not a completely open world, they just have more recognizable landmarks that you can use to find your way around the place.  

Modern games generally put a big fat arrow on your HUD that tells you where you have to go to and if they don't, they normally are corridor-shooters where you can only go one way to begin with. You might call Doom badly designed, but that doesn't stop it from being quite a bit more challenging when it comes to find your way around it. Going back even further there also was a time before auto-mapping and the only maps you had where the ones you drew yourself.  Now I am not saying that this is a good thing, its just stuff that it is a difference between now and then.

I just keep finding that your claims are not factual.       

The problem is that comparing all games of old with all games of new, means comparing a ton of very different games games, so there will be of course bias in what is compared against what, but even with that taken into a account, a lot of the streamlining that exists in todays games, the auto-mapping, the arrows pointing to your next objective, the checkpoints, the rechargable health, etc. just flat out didn't exist a decade or two ago and things a lot more tricky.   

This? This kind of "games were harder when I was a kid and they are all casual crap now and they are all dumbed down consolified shite"? It's hurting gaming. I'd like it to stop.

I kind of agree, but on the other side, when people complain, they often have a point, some of it might of course be blurred by nostalgia, but others might not. 

For me personally the biggest problem with todays gaming is that it doesn't keep up with my past exceptations. X-Wing or other classics might have not been half as complex as I remember them, but when I complain about new games I messure them up against my memory of games of old, not against the old games themselves. And thus if my memory of an old game provided me with an engaging and immersive experience and a new game requires little more then following a blinking arrow in the HUD then something went wrong. I am not saying that we should get rid of all streamlining, but I find that frequently games have went to far with it, making it possible to play them without even paying attention, thus destroying any kind of immersion into the game world. Its really not the difficulty itself that is the important factor here, but how much attention I have to pay to the game world and its surroundings and that is something that a difficulty slider generally won't be able to fix.

Also about video games becoming like comic books, I am not so sure about that. I remember games having quite a bit more varity back then, at least as far as the mainstream in concerned. When it comes to modern shooter for example almost everything is either first or third person shooter and controls almost exactly the same. One might not have all games be in some hardcore niche, but on the other side opening up to the mainstream might also mean games becoming more and more the same, instead of having experimentation going and having games that don't try to target everybody.

The following point is not to be taken to serious, anyway here it goes: 

Between those two games below almost 20 years passed. I like Mass Effect quite a lot, but I can't help but feel that in 20 years of game development a bit more progress should have been possible then just sticking my dialog choices on a wheel. As advanced as modern games might be, more often they just don't feel advanced enough compared to the stuff I already played a decade or two ago.

No Caption Provided