I play PC games so I don't give a shit.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By FCKSNAP

I bought a used car and burned it to my computer so I could share it on Kazaa. My release name is [VaNdErSEXXXXX], look me up on IRC!

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By defaulttag
@crusader8463 said:
" I play PC games so I don't give a shit. "
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By ProfessorEss

This will not work out as the publishers or supporters are hoping.
I can't for the life of me figure out why this industry's customers are so willing to take it up the ass for EA, Activision and the like.

...and the supporters will be the first ones in line to bitch about it when the publishers start screwing us over when they have no used market to keep them in check.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Th3_James

I don't buy used games, and don't sell the games I buy. So, this does not effect me 

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ProfessorEss
@Th3_James said:
" I don't buy used games, and don't sell the games I buy. So, this does not effect me  "
You're still involved in the industry as a whole so in the long run it will effect the new game buyers as well.
Whether that effect turns out to be good or bad, we'd have to wait and see.
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's kind of a stupid move for game companies. People who used to buy used are now either going to buy even less games or pirate them, especially considering that most people who have a current gen system are out of warranty by now anyways.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By xyzygy

Is this just affecting America though? I'd imagine the laws are different across different countries. Hopefully it doesn't affect Canada.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By DoctorWelch

Like I have said before. If you make people buy everything new, than people are just going to resort to stealing shit. What would most rather do, buy every game you want to play new, or have two consoles, one that is hacked, and one you can play online. It would actually be way way cheaper in the long run to just steal everything except the online games like halo, gears, or cod. It's cheaper now too, but there are plenty of ways to get games at a must cheaper price than new, so people arent going to resort to stealing. I am not saying I would be one of the people to do that, but I know thousands would.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ProfessorEss
@xyzygy said:
Hopefully it doesn't affect Canada. "
Probably won't, not for a while at least.
Our courts aren't typically as quick to lie down in servitude to the big corporations. 

(...tho they can at times be pretty quick to lie down in servitude to the American courts :P)
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

This makes complete sense and I don't really have a huge problem with it, but it sucks for people on a really tight budget.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Diamond
@Jace said:
How is buying a used car any different from buying a used game?
If a person has completed a game he might not have use for that game ever again.  You don't complete needing a car.

Personally I haven't been a fan of used games because they're usually not much cheaper, but I have enjoyed trading in my games pretty often and it'd be a shame to lose that option.

I'm more annoyed by the concepts of having my games tied to an internet account, such as the way EA is tying online MP to a single gamertag, or just downloadable games in general.  I want physical disks that always work without DRM no matter where I use them or how many times.
AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By AlKusanagi

I Imagine the same thing that happened in Japan about a decade ago will happen in the US: Used game retailers will agree to pay a percentage to the makers on every game resold.

Unlike Japan, however, where the used games used to be sold at insanely low prices but now go for around 75-80% of the new price, it might "ruin" companies like Gamestop that are already charging 90%+ of the new price on used games and then making massive profits on the resale.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HandsomeDead said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:

Don't act like Gordon Gekko is the only person who can afford to buy new. If you want it, don't be a scumbag and either buy it new, or stick to your guns and pirate it. "
SCUM OF THE EARTH I TELL YOU!!  I'm right there with you man. I think those who can't afford video games new should be taken out back and shot so as to not dirty the streets for those of us who piss gold and do buy games new.   Ah just kidding, I buy all my games used, so I guess I'm the worst person in the world.  Suck on that.This is awesome...soon dealing video games is going to be just like dealing drugs! Does this mean we will have Speakeasy Gamestops in the future? "
Taking things to their sarcastic extremes is so played out. Video game economics are generally fucked anyway but if you have to be so defensive on the issue of used games, it's not surprising you can't really see them as huge flaw that they are. "
I agree.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By jkz

I fully support moves such as EA adding online passes as a way to limit resale of their games, but the idea that you can't sell something that you own the full rights to is absolutely ridiculous.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ch13696
@EgoCheck616: No I got it, Activision being the greedy company.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ryanwho

I smell liquidation. Or possibly dumpster diving.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By 9cupsoftea

Whatever, there will always be people who will pay inordinate prices for devalued games, and there will always be people who pirate games. Economics. 
 If the industry wants more new sales, then they should try pricing games for the masses rather than those with a lot of disposable income. Economics.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ch13696

The people on here that are all for getting rid of used games are probably snobby rich people. Their argument all the time is if you can't afford it then you shouldn't be having it. Well then...fuck you.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ryanwho
@ch13696 said:
" The people on here that are all for getting rid of used games are probably snobby rich people. Their argument all the time is if you can't afford it then you shouldn't be having it. Well then...fuck you. "
Their life is already fucked. They still live with mom at 26 and don't intend to leave anytime soon.
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#71  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@ryanwho said:
" @ch13696 said:
" The people on here that are all for getting rid of used games are probably snobby rich people. Their argument all the time is if you can't afford it then you shouldn't be having it. Well then...fuck you. "
Their life is already fucked. They still live with mom at 26 and don't intend to leave anytime soon. "
Hey man that food isn't going to cook itself.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#72  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Good Bye, you won't be missed. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@EgoCheck616 said:
" @RsistncE: Video game companies? I hope you mean publishers. The developers have nothing to do with this, and they're the ones losing their jobs.  You know what happens when Activision's games get pirated? The studio gets dropped. Activision itself stays strong. "
Those people all find new jobs.  Like any media production business in the world, you always fail up.  A certain Giant Bomb favorite made some rather unpopular sports games, started a studio that was closed before it could produce anything, and is now Development Director at Disney Interactive.

I don't feel sorry for devs who get fired by Activision, because it means they have development experience and don't have to work for Activision anymore... which are two keys to happiness in this industry.
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#74  Edited By jasta

I can't see this taking effect for a long time.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#75  Edited By Vinchenzo

Depends on the situation, but sometimes used games are convenient for the out-of-production ones, are they not? Anyway, you don't need used games when you have Amazon. Everything is so cheap or you get credit for other game purchases. Sometimes I buy used, sometimes I buy new. Definitely situational, but I don't give a shit what companies go belly up until I get my fucking sequel to Psi-Ops. WHAT HAPPENS AFTER!? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#76  Edited By Jeust

“We hope people understand that when the game’s bought used, we get cheated,” Cory Ledesma, a creative director at THQ said in an interview with computerandvideogames.com, which was reprinted by the Dallas News.    

Then how do you feel when I don't buy it?  

This doesn't affect me much, as I am getting out of mainstream gaming. Still despite tightening and securing the money connected to the publisher's and developers' products towards them with a move like this, I can't see their profit rising much or at all, as people will look for other solutions to the high price asked, and some will just give up on buying the games. It will only shorten the size of the gaming market and business as it is right now.  

Oh well people nowadays only think on profit and money, the "Screw the industry if I'm getting wealthy" mentality. Keep it up!  

I'm out.    
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#77  Edited By mutha3
@HandsomeDead said:

" Don't act like Gordon Gekko is the only person who can afford to buy new. If you want it, don't be a scumbag and either buy it new, or stick to your guns and pirate it. "

D-d...did you just compare stealing with basic consumer rights?

Also, wow. Talk about a lack of perspective. You honestly think most people are wealthy enough to waste 60$ on a glorified toy?

Not everyone can live off their parents back.