Screw next gen consoles

• 59 results
SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

While everyone else was itching to get the Xbone and PS4 this Black Friday I decided to forego them and instead made a killing on deals from GOG. Got a bunch of Tex Murphy adventure games, some random adventure games and something crazy looking called Realms of the Haunting. It's honestly been super fun to just let go of the new stuff and go back and try to get an appreciation for the old stuff and the "classics". I figure maybe in a few years or so when/if I've had enough I can buy one of the new consoles and have plenty to play at that point with hopefully patched bugs etc lol. Anyone else feel that way?

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

No Caption Provided

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Not completely, but I do find myself way more interested in older games.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

Where would you put it in though? That sounds uncomfortable.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Well, I am waiting for at least one 'must have' game to come out before getting a PS4 or Xbone... I don't really see anything interesting on the horizon yet besides Infamous and The District, and even those aren't 'must haves' to me, just other games I'd like to check out.

That's a really stupid video, by the way.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Nope. I actually ended up picking up an Xbox One on Black Friday specifically for Killer Instinct and I'm having a blast.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By joshwent

The brazen courage of a man willing to stand up and say... what everyone has already said.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no limit to the amount of dumb shit I will buy if I happen to have the money at the time.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DonPixel

Nope. I actually ended up picking up an Xbox One on Black Friday specifically for Killer Instinct and I'm having a blast.

Dead Rising 3 is pretty great also, having lots of fun with it.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:(

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Undeadpool

Dude's name is SavageManLove, I don't think he's that interested in comfort in this scenario...

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*unimpressed clapping gif* Don't care so much about following mainstream. 'Mainstream' is basically an illusion, everyone does their own thing.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no limit to the amount of dumb shit I will buy if I happen to have the money at the time.

I am exactly the same. My girlfriends fucking hates it. I spend so much time on eBay I'll buy something just because its discounted, and then it arrives I'll just be like....wut?

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah I'm not sold on getting next gen just yet. Too many great current gen games I've still yet to play.

I say that now but when they release ME4...Sony can say Cha-Ching!

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Here's the thing I have a nice PC that will stay at a solid 60fps for at least two more years, but the big reason I'm not getting next gen? I'm about to graduate from college and I'm poor and in modest student debt, so maybe in two or three years when I feel I'm stable financially speaking I'll get one of the new consoles. Until then however there's a massive backlog I need to work to. Sure I want a new console, but I don't need one and I think it's great so many people are buying the new consoles and enjoying them. It's good for gaming in general.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, let's just stick to the 360 and PS3 forever.

bennym6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@joshwent said:

The brazen courage of a man willing to stand up and say... what everyone has already said.

Brave soul.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still have my ps2 plugged in fuck next gen

Sign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So edgy!

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

2023: Tex Murphy games, and fritos for me. Classy.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/9/98500/2536731-5174859167-

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie said:

Dude's name is SavageManLove, I don't think he's that interested in comfort in this scenario...

I didn't even notice that, that's fantastic

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know If I could wipe my memory of games I love and experience them for the first time again, I would never be interested in new games.

Playing Chrono Trigger for the first time again, Tactic Ogre, FF4-12, Nier, SOTC, Ico, Xenogear/blade, Persona 3-4 to name a few. I will pay all my saving for something that could do that for me.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By DeadpanCakes
Never not playing
Never not playing

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's too early in this generation for me to just say "fuck it". Even if I stuck with just PC games I'm sure I would find a bunch of console exclusives that would pique my interest, but I'm not in the position to just spend a grip on consoles.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Justin258

@shinjin977 said:

@believer258 said:

You know If I could wipe my memory of games I love and experience them for the first time again, I would never be interested in new games.

Playing Chrono Trigger for the first time again, Tactic Ogre, FF4-12, Nier, SOTC, Ico, Xenogear/blade, Persona 3-4 to name a few. I will pay all my saving for something that could do that for me.

I played Chrono Trigger for the first time last year, so take it from a man without nostalgia for the game: It's one of the best ever and if anyone is reading this who hasn't played it, then you need to drop what you're playing and get to Chrono Trigger.

I've also played FFIX and XII for the first time recently, and once again both are very good.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

I'm having fun with Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3 on my Xbox One. AC4 is alright on my PS4 though I don't think I like the controller as much as the One. Mario 3D World was real fun, Pikmin 3 was fantastic, Rayman Legends was best on Wii U.

I think next gen consoles are cool. I'm having fun with mine and that's enough for now.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

lawl @ poor people

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By LackingSaint

Awesome, you really added something to the discussion with your video where you say new console are out and then say "fuck that" really slowly several times in the bathroom.

Just to be clear, if everybody did actually follow your stance of "let's not buy new consoles, let's just go back and play old PC games" the entire industry would completely fall apart.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07: LOL! I can imagine someone rage quitting from that KI gif.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did I watch that video, I knew nothing good was going to come of it, I knew it would be terrible. Now I'm just unhappy, angry and a little dizzy.

Anyway, getting in on the first floor, and playing kinda bad games, is fun. I'm just glad there wasn't a Ridge Racer game to buy and then subsequently remember that I hate Ridge Racer, for the third time.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Why did I watch that video, I knew nothing good was going to come of it, I knew it would be terrible. Now I'm just unhappy, angry and a little dizzy.

Anyway, getting in on the first floor, and playing kinda bad games, is fun. I'm just glad there wasn't a Ridge Racer game to buy and then subsequently remember that I hate Ridge Racer, for the third time.

LOL at Ridge Racer.

Good times.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny video man but I disagree. Microtransactions need to flourish and next gen seems to be the avenue.

Preorder everything, buy dlc on day one, record your entire living room for voice controls, and pay for cheat codes. Next gen is going to rule.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny video man but I disagree. Microtransactions need to flourish and next gen seems to be the avenue.

Preorder everything, buy dlc on day one, record your entire living room for voice controls, and pay for cheat codes. Next gen is going to rule.

I think you lost your way from neogaf dude.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm gonna get a ps4 next year most likely, either that or the year after. We'll see how the game situation looks. For now though, not a lot of incentive to spend money one just yet.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donpixel said:

@spraynardtatum said:

I think you lost your way from neogaf dude.

I'm fine where I am.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I like my next-gen console. Super Mario 3D World is awesome!

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SavageManLove

@colourful_hippie said:

My schlong is really thin like a slice of cold cut turkey ...wait wut?

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a hipster ...then again wouldn't a hipster say that he/she wasn't a hipster? I've had games like Might and Magic 6, Arcanum, etc in my GOG download list for months and months and months and I've yearned to visit those worlds, with the new consoles coming out and just seeming to be higher fidelity versions of the same old same old it just seems like the perfect time to go back.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

Next Gen consoles aren't out yet and won't be for several years. Do you mean current gen? The PS4 and Xbox One ceased to be "next gen" when they were released. The PS3/360 became last gen and next gen will be the PS5 and whatever else comes out.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Next Gen consoles aren't out yet and won't be for several years. Do you mean current gen? The PS4 and Xbox One ceased to be "next gen" when they were released. The PS3/360 became last gen and next gen will be the PS5 and whatever else comes out.

Get the fuck out

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GOG currently having a mega massive sale on pretty much everything. The game coffers are beyond stuffed, like a juicy rump in a pair of booty shorts.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By Humanity

GOG? Yah sure maybe when I get tired of playing with these marbles and Pogs I might check out GOG..maybe..and hopefully by then they'll have DOSbox launchers built into every game lol..

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By egg

I hate the next gen consoles for lack of controller backward-compatibility.

no control remapping either

no PC gamepad support

can't use Dual Shock on Xbox One (can't use Xbox on PS4 either)

paid online (for PS4) and mandatory Kinect (for Xbone)

no 60 fps standard on either (gtfo)

why would anyone want them? I'm more interested in 2DS, Vita, Wii U. Hell even PS3 has like two hundred games I didn't play. Why "upgrade"?

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want my 1:03 that I wasted on your video back.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@egg said:

no PC gamepad support

What kind of lunatic world do you live in that any of these things would happen?

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, I am digging being verbally aggressive towards my xbox one and pretending I am an abusive parent. It follows order so well!! You got to make sure you are firm but nice with it, don't want sky-net happening anytime soon.

Also to your point, I am spending more time watching tv, netflix, and shit on the internet throught IE on my xbox one while playing on my PC.

The purchase was totally worth it to me though.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sodapop7

@egg: I really hope you aren't expecting 60 fps on any of the systems you are interested in.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By egg

@mildmolasses said:

@egg said:

no PC gamepad support

What kind of lunatic world do you live in that any of these things would happen?

Did you mean to include the first point in there? Cause I mean why shouldn't a console be compatible with the company's own products. Not to mention PS2, Wii, and WiiU already do it, so it's not exactly lunatic world.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe you included that sentence simply as the opening of my post "I hate the next consoles for..."

But maybe pretty soon, you'll have to buy an adapter just to be able to use a 2nd controller on your system. (it is presumed the 2nd controller belongs not to you, but to the person who came over to play) And one day GB'ers will be like "well of course you need an adapter! All consoles do! ... What kind of lunatic world do you live in where you could just use a 2nd controller, without buying an additional adapter??"

"Of course the controllers come with a built-in touchpad!"

"Of course Kinect is mandatory!"

"Of course you have to pay 50-60 a month for online! This isn't lunatic world!"

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By egg

It is as though Sony and MS simply deserve money for a job well done. "we released a better graphics box... Buy it, so you may pay us 50 dollars a year for the privilege of using it"

"and buy a new controller while you're at it. No, you can't just use the controllers you already own, even though it would be common sense. This isn't lunatic world--ever heard of planned obsolescence?"

@sodapop7 said:

@egg: I really hope you aren't expecting 60 fps on any of the systems you are interested in.

All other systems don't do 60 fps because they can't, not because they deliberately revoke it. I'm not gonna be a hardass over framerate when playing on a handheld, for example. PS4 and One on the other hand are "next gen" systems. (as opposed to the likes of Vita and Wii U; meager distractions that they are) This begets higher expectations.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC doesnt have naughty dog (god), so your argument is invalid