Secret Of Monkey Island: Special Edition 50% off - A must-buy???

GaZZuM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By GaZZuM

I've never played a Secret of Monkey Island game before, so the nostalgia factor's not there, but I did enjoy the first two Broken Sword games back in the day. The closest thing to that I've played since then is probably Professor Layton.

Secret of Monkey Island has an 88 on Metacritic... but we all know how iffy going solely off a Metacritic score is, so I figured I'd see how the GB community weighed-in on the deal, and whether a series newbie should bother...

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Secret of Monkey Island is a fantastic game. You can't go wrong with it for that price.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jimbo

I wouldn't call it a 'must-buy' exactly.  It wasn't as good or funny as I remembered (but then I'm not ~6 years old anymore either, so that probably has something to do with it).  If you like adventure games, it's alright, but there are far better examples of the genre out there imo.

The nostalgia factor is probably the biggest draw tbh.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By danielkempster

As somebody who only played The Secret of Monkey Island this year, I'd say it's definitely worth picking up, especially at the reduced price. It's a solid, charming, funny point-and-click adventure and the modern production values really go a long way towards making it relevant to a modern audience. It does feel quite antiquated in parts, and some of the puzzles seem a bit nonsensical, but I still think it's well worth experiencing.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Need. Mac. Port. Now.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By The_A_Drain

Absolutely a must purchase in my opinion, you'd be nuts to pass it up for that price. Fantastic game.

GaZZuM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By GaZZuM

Pretty sure I'm gonna get it later. I figure if I'm ever gonna try it, it might aswell be when it's half price ^^

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By kalmis
@The_A_Drain said:
" Absolutely a must purchase in my opinion, you'd be nuts to pass it up for that price. Fantastic game. "
Agreeing with this gentleman here. A must buy.
Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Tordah
@The_A_Drain said:
" Absolutely a must purchase in my opinion, you'd be nuts to pass it up for that price. Fantastic game. "
This man speaks the truth!