So uh....Is this why people are fanboys?

• 62 results
Binbay55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Binbay55

Because we need to feel we made the right decision when we bought our consoles? There is no reason for someone to say that their console is better then anothers. So why do we feel the neeed to defend our consoles, our PRODUCTS from another CONSUMER. Because WE spent the money. If your 360 gets the RRoD you will defend it anyways because, you still bought it. We as gamer feel the need to know that we made the "right" choice when purchasing our platform.  We chose a specific console in this generation, and we are ready to defend that choice...Tooth and nail. Because none of us find it fun to realize we were wrong. It's not about which console is best (they are all excellent) it's about keeping that idea that what YOU chose was right. 

....Huff....Now maybe that wasn't a necassary post. Maybe you all already new that and this idea was more of the same. Maybe you don't give a rat's. But i felt the need to finally pen( or type) this thought. So if you got to this part thanks for reading, if you did  read it. If you were looking for a summary, sorry not here. 

Gooday all
Avatar image for mercurycrusader
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MercuryCrusader

Fanboyism is an old relic of the ancient 16-bit Console Wars when mankind was divided between Nintendo and Sega.  The fact that the concept of "console wars" still exists proves that fanboys, regardless of which side of this apparent "console war" they are on, are mentally eight year olds.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By haggis

I think that's part of it. Some genuinely believe their console choice is best (obviously, since they chose it over a different console), and I've found that those that own both consoles tend to not engage in the fanboy fights as much. It's like supporting a sports team, or a political party. I think we invest far too much in those choices, and are far too willing to believe our choice is unassailable, and that everyone who disagrees with us is absolutely wrong. It's tech, people. In a few years, we'll all be wondering how the heck we played games on it when the new hotness is out. A little competition is fine, and the specs are worth arguing to a point. Beyond that, though, and it's a waste of time.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Hitchenson

FUCK YOU! ENJOY YOUR NO GAMES, WAGGLAN, RROD and £20,000 PCs. YOU FUCKERS.

MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MercuryCrusader

I own all three current generation consoles, as well as several consoles throughout the history of time, from as early as the days of the Odyssey 2 and the Intellivision, to the early CD era of the 3DO, Sega CD, and TurboGrafx CD, and everything in between everything.  If there's one thing you should know, it's this: the real winner of the Console Wars... 

Sega Pico.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Animasta

that's why PC fanboys are the worst since they spent so much more money.

the PC is the best, of course, but still

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By recroulette
@MercuryCrusader said:
" I own all three current generation consoles, as well as several consoles throughout the history of time, from as early as the days of the Odyssey 2 and the Intellivision, to the early CD era of the 3DO, Sega CD, and TurboGrafx CD, and everything in between everything.  If there's one thing you should know, it's this: the real winner of the Console Wars...  Sega Pico. "
This.
Tails and the motherfucking goddamn Music Maker is the greatest game ever.
Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Organicalistic_
@Binbay55: I think I am an owner of all modern consoles besides a pc, and from xp playing that at a friends house, i can say a gaming pc is the best console, there are mods that make fallout 3 AMAZING, after that ps3, then 360, then ds, then wii.  I like my ps3 because it is reliable, i don't play my 360 often because it freezes up too often, and i do not play my wii or ds too often because i prefer gba typed handhelds over ds type, and gamecube type consoles over wii type, I also have a gb micro, gamecube, and ps2, I can say I bought the most of my system used with or from friends.
JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9  Edited By JonathanMoore
@RecSpec said:
" @MercuryCrusader said:
" I own all three current generation consoles, as well as several consoles throughout the history of time, from as early as the days of the Odyssey 2 and the Intellivision, to the early CD era of the 3DO, Sega CD, and TurboGrafx CD, and everything in between everything.  If there's one thing you should know, it's this: the real winner of the Console Wars...  Sega Pico. "
This. Tails and the motherfucking goddamn Music Maker is the greatest game ever. "
I knew it... I just didn't want to accept it...
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Skytylz
@Binbay55: You watch that feature on 1up about fanboyism?
Binbay55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Binbay55

Nope. I've never watched 1up. Sowy.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Console Wars are mostly started by young kids who's families can only afford to buy one console, like most. They invest a lot of time in deciding which they want and they believe that they've made the right choice, or at the very least they don't want to percieve that they are wrong. 

The only reason the 16-Bit era is pretty much considered "The" Console War is becasue that's when most of the big players currently operating on all sides of the gaming world grew up. Also the internet wasn't nearly as big so a lot of that stuff took place in teh RL as opposed to message boards.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By billyhoush

Fanboys are little kids who can't afford all the systems until they are old enough to go on social assistance.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

Partly, yes. I like to think that people define themselves by the consoles they buy; therefore, when somebody attacks their console (or anything relating to it), they feel like the other guy is personally attacking them.

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

Real gamers have all the platforms.

Warskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Warskull

Its a combination of wanting validation, stupidity, and marketing.  A big part of the whole Sega vs Nintendo thing was sega putting a lot of effort into marketing their stuff as "the cool console."  A lot of the developers encourage this fanboyism with their marketing and PR because crazy fanboys don't make rational decisions.  They pay $100+ for a LE version of a game that games with a bunch of stuff they'll likely never use.  The Wii gets a lot of hate because it doesn't appeal to some gamers, they are doing something new, and making a killing doing it.  People don't understand it and get jealous of its insane success.  Sony fanboys were super-aggressive because their console had a really rough start and they felt threatened.   PC users complain about games being dumbed down for console because they keep getting half-assed ports.  They actually have a legitimate gripe about a lot of developers treating the PC like crap, but it tends to turn into a general disdain for multiplatform games.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By WickedCestus
@MiamiRedHawks said:
" Real gamers have all the platforms. "
Quoted for stupidity. 

Unless you were kidding.
MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MiamiRedHawks
@supermike6 said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
Quoted for stupidity.  Unless you were kidding. "
Nope, I wasn't. If you want a full gaming experience you need to own all the consoles. Each company has exclusives that are too good to miss.
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@MiamiRedHawks said:
" @supermike6 said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
Nope, I wasn't. If you want a full gaming experience you need to own all the consoles. Each company has exclusives that are too good to miss. "
But I is poor. Does this mean I false gamer?
BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

Buy all current platforms and stop using that goddamn word. It's all a matter of personal preference, you buy what you like better, why must there be any kind of emotional attachment to a fucking piece of plastic with some cables and a disc reader in it? Buy what suits you better, and do me a favor, shoot the motherfucker who invented the word 'fanboy' on your way.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Brians

People act like fanboys so they don't regret the decisions they made.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RichardLOlson

"Fanboys" or "Fangirls" doesn't mean  your crazy.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By JoelTGM
@MarkWahlberg said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" @supermike6 said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
Nope, I wasn't. If you want a full gaming experience you need to own all the consoles. Each company has exclusives that are too good to miss. "
But I is poor. Does this mean I false gamer? "
It means we play more games than you. 
JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JeevesPleez
@Skytylz said:
" @Binbay55: You watch that feature on 1up about fanboyism? "
@Binbay55 said:
" Nope. I've never watched 1up. Sowy. "

Sharkey's whiteboards are great. Here's a link to the one Skytylz is talking about (I think).
UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

I am a fan of well-designed products that fit my lifestyle, everyone else is a moron.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Afroman269

Well I bought all the consoles so........ya I don't give a shit about system wars. Save up money and get other consoles because each one brings something good to the table.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @MarkWahlberg said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" @supermike6 said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
It means we play more games than you.  "
You may get more action, but when I play, it's more meaningful.  But perhaps we could say that the real message here is "Don't hate the player, hate the game" ?  
As in, hate the exclusivity.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By WickedCestus
@MarkWahlberg said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @MarkWahlberg said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" @supermike6 said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
It means we play more games than you.  "
You may get more action, but when I play, it's more meaningful.  But perhaps we could say that the real message here is "Don't hate the player, hate the game" ?  As in, hate the exclusivity. "
I wouldn't say it's more meaningful to us poor people, I'm just saying you can't say somoene isn't a "real" gamer (Also, what does "real gamer" even mean?) just because they have less money to spend.
ashriels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ashriels
@UnlivedPhalanx said:
" I am a fan of well-designed products that fit my lifestyle, everyone else is a moron. "

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Brendan
@MiamiRedHawks said:
" @supermike6 said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:

Or y'know, people with lives don't have time to play every single system, but whatever, enjoy your throne I guess.
VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By VanderSEXXX
@Hitchenson said:
" FUCK YOU! ENJOY YOUR NO GAMES, WAGGLAN, RROD and £20,000 PCs. YOU FUCKERS. "
DAMN!!! 20,000 pounds? I can already buy a house a lot with that. Never bought a PC that costs that much and I can still play current gen games with ease. :o
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By trophyhunter

because people like some things better than other things

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@supermike6: Actually, I was making a joke. I meant it  like  'having sex with more people vs. having longer, more meaningful relationships.' I didn't actually mean anything by it, I was just being silly. Or trying to be, anyway. And failing. 
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MercuryCrusader
@Brendan said:
"Or y'know, people with lives don't have time to play every single system, but whatever, enjoy your throne I guess. "
People with lives don't have time for video games, or posting about them on a message board.
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NTM
@Binbay55 said:
"Because we need to feel we made the right decision when we bought our consoles? There is no reason for someone to say that their console is better then anothers. So why do we feel the neeed to defend our consoles, our PRODUCTS from another CONSUMER. Because WE spent the money. If your 360 gets the RRoD you will defend it anyways because, you still bought it. We as gamer feel the need to know that we made the "right" choice when purchasing our platform.  We chose a specific console in this generation, and we are ready to defend that choice...Tooth and nail. Because none of us find it fun to realize we were wrong. It's not about which console is best (they are all excellent) it's about keeping that idea that what YOU chose was right.  ....Huff....Now maybe that wasn't a necassary post. Maybe you all already new that and this idea was more of the same. Maybe you don't give a rat's. But i felt the need to finally pen( or type) this thought. So if you got to this part thanks for reading, if you did  read it. If you were looking for a summary, sorry not here.  Gooday all "

Not exactly true, my friend got the red rings and he hates the 360 now while before he said 360 was ten times better than PS3, now it's vice versa. As for me personally, I own all the systems and have hardly any bias. Yeah, you're kind if right. Although part of me says your statement is wrong. Psychologically. I don't think that applies for everyone. I don't think it comes down to the fact that you bought it, I think it comes down to what's more reliable. I'm pretty sure there are many people out there that just bought a Wii; only own that, and regret it because there aren't enough great games to play, or bought a gaming PC and didn't expect not to run high end games, and etc. I think your statement only applies to those who have already had the feeling which product was better before even having it in their homes. Biases.
Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rebirth1337

I don't know. I always thought fanboys were just 12 year old kids talking crap online. I'm a gamer I play games no matter the system.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FCKSNAP
@Rebirth1337 said:
" I don't know. I always thought fanboys were just 12 year old kids talking crap online. I'm a gamer I play games no matter the system. "
At first I read that as "taking a crap online" and thought   "ew German people are gross".
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By Meowayne

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sil3n7
@maver1ck89 said:
" are games art "
Close this damn thread now.
JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JeevesPleez
@Sil3n7 said:
" @maver1ck89 said:
" are games art "
Close this damn thread now. "
Oh god....
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Binbay55 said:
" Gooday all "
thanks ur so sweet (:
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MikkaQ

Hmm people are usually fanboys to defend their investments, to convince themselves they've made the right choice. 

Playstation sucked until I bought one, so did the xbox. I was a Sega fanboy until the dreamcast failed, though I loved the N64 too, which is why I went to Gamecube afterwards. Then something got me to buy an xbox.. dunno why, and suddenly it didn't suck. Hey whaddaya know. Then I got a PS3 for Blu-Ray and ended up liking the console too. I got a Wii and.... well that one's the exception. I was a huge apologist for the gamecube, but owning all the systems and being a lot more objective than before... I just did not like the wii. 

Fanboy-ism is all really pointless though. I'll probably just buy all the main consoles and whatnot from here on in, and play whatever's good. Some get good games a little more frequently though. 

BeastIncarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BeastIncarnate

People inherently drive towards elitism and a mentality of "us versus them." It's a pretty natural thing and I don't know anyone who doesn't do it to some extent in some place in their lives. It's not a matter of logic, it's a psychological thing. Wanting to belong to something, wanting to be better than something or someone else, etc. I catch myself doing it from time to time. 

Look at the motorcycle world. You have cruisers versus sportbikes. Within those groups, you have countless squabbles: Harley versus Victory, Any Japanese Manufacturer versus Any Other Japanese Manufacturer, Any Non-Japanese Manufacturer versus Any Japanese Manufacturer, etc etc etc.  That's not to say that everyone into motorcycling is a dick about what they ride. I'd venture to say that the vast majority aren't. However, the ones that are dicks are loud enough to seem way more significant than they are.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By oldschool

The trouble with the word fanboy is the overuse of it.  If you talk about something you like, then a disagreeable type just labels you as a fanboy.  Even when you prove you have consoles from all of the companies, they still call you a fanboy.  These are the internet's greatest morons. 

And yes, you should buy every console you can afford, in the order of preference.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By lead_farmer

Fanboy have issues.  I cannot understand the point of bashing another console and trying to say the one you got is so damn superior.  I had a 360 for a long time and I enjoyed it, apart from the two rrods (minor annoyance).  I eventually gave it to my brother and got a PS3 because there were a lot of games I didn't want to miss.  Both systems have great games and exclusives.  I just don't understand why these 10-yr olds have been given permission to go online and start arguments.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jimbo

Yep, totally overused.  In any other hobby most of these alleged 'fanboys' would just be called 'fans'.  Guess what, some people genuinely like some things better than other things - they believe they are superior for genuine reasons and will say so.  Except in the case of the Wii of course; those guys are obviously crazy and should be treated with the contempt they deserve - and caution, because they could be dangerous.

Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Bluethunder35

Fanboy-ism is very strange indeed. I sometimes wonder if, say, Xbox fanboys support the console fervently simply because it's an American console and many of the people who defend it despite the myriad of problems it has had (rampant piracy, poorly built, a questionable community) are proud that an American console has made a huge impact in the industry after 20 years of Japanese domination.
In a time when confidence in America's economy, military and entertainment output is low, people, especially the young people, need a beacon of hope and they have chosen to support the questionable ethics of Microsoft as the company that makes America proud and still the greatest country in the world. That's how I see it in my crazy head.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By haggis

Maybe "fanboy" gets used too much, but I think we all know what we mean here: the people who go online who think their console is perfect, and the console they don't have is crap. The ones who are incapable of recognizing that their console may not be perfect, or that other consoles are great in themselves. Like I said earlier, it's not that we can't argue specs and features and make arguments about which console is better than the other. That's not fanboy-ism. Fanboy-ism is when objectivity gets thrown out the window, resulting in people who think Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo (or any other company, *cough* Apple *cough*) can do no wrong.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49  Edited By Geno

Each platform has their objective pros and cons, fanboys are the people that can't discuss them in a mature or logical manner. It has nothing to do with money spent or which platforms you own. I'm PC all the way and have probably spent an order of magnitude more money on it and games than console players have on their consoles but I will never say PC is the "best" platform (except in graphics, but only as an absolute). 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50  Edited By oldschool
@Jimbo said:
" Yep, totally overused.  In any other hobby most of these alleged 'fanboys' would just be called 'fans'.  Guess what, some people genuinely like some things better than other things - they believe they are superior for genuine reasons and will say so.  Except in the case of the Wii of course; those guys are obviously crazy and should be treated with the contempt they deserve - and caution, because they could be dangerous. "
That's it, you made my list  :/ 

The best console is the one that you end up playing the most.  It doesn't matter which it is.  Hating a console is a form of fanboyism, so all you Wii haters are clearly fanboys  :-)