Something Special About this Generation

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

You know, Microsoft made an awesome decision to bring up the idea of the XBLA.  Obviously, it has been brought later to other consoles as the PSN and Wiiware (although this needs to play some catchup).  This is addressing new games, not old games.  Not even upgraded ports.  Remakes...yes.

Anway, essentially, what the XBLA has done (this will be my generic term) is to allow indie devs to actually be competitive in this market and actually *gasp* rebirth the 2d game genre.  We wouldn't have seen another Megaman of a NES style ever again on consoles.  We wouldn't have been introduced to Behemoth's kickass games.  The much overrated Braid (lulz) would never have been created, and it goes on.   It really opens up some other opportunities as well.  How about a new side scrolling Sonic game...nah...Sega's not smart enough to do that.  Perhaps a 3d remake or sidescrolling sequel to Battletoads?

* and you know.  I really don't want to see these be a home for things like Pain or Watchmen, which are essentially half assed full titled games.  This should be home to games like the Behemoth has created.

In 2009, with consoles that can play graphical beasts like Killzone 2, who would have thought these could exist?

Rebirth of the 2d Game FTW!!!!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Stop posting so many threads a day... And you wonder why people give you negatives even if you post something legit. You need to slow down...

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Sorry!  I'm playing Halo non stop today!  (i post while in the lobby)
My threads do have some of the longest life expectancy on this forum though, so it'll seem like I create more than I do.

CarlosX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By CarlosX360
LiquidPrince said:
"Stop posting so many threads a day... And you wonder why people give you negatives even if you post something legit. You need to slow down..."
posting a lot is good, but you need to be neutral in how you balance your posting, OP. This is a prime example of how people view you; a person who cares about postcount, to the point of boosting postcount.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ
SmugDarkLoser said:
"You know, Microsoft made an awesome decision to bring up the idea of the XBLA.  Obviously, it has been brought later to other consoles as the PSN and Wiiware (although this needs to play some catchup).  This is addressing new games, not old games.  Not even upgraded ports.  Remakes...yes.

Anway, essentially, what the XBLA has done (this will be my generic term) is to allow indie devs to actually be competitive in this market and actually *gasp* rebirth the 2d game genre.  We wouldn't have seen another Megaman of a NES style ever again on consoles.  We wouldn't have been introduced to Behemoth's kickass games.  The much overrated Braid (lulz) would never have been created, and it goes on.   It really opens up some other opportunities as well.  How about a new side scrolling Sonic game...nah...Sega's not smart enough to do that.  Perhaps a 3d remake or sidescrolling sequel to Battletoads?

* and you know.  I really don't want to see these be a home for things like Pain or Watchmen, which are essentially half assed full titled games.  This should be home to games like the Behemoth has created.

In 2009, with consoles that can play graphical beasts like Killzone 2, who would have thought these could exist?
Honestly, for such a fairly smart idea for a topic, this original post has so many flaws.
1. XBLA has been around for a year longer than WiiWare, and yet WiiWare could be argued to have a better lineup. I personally would call them about equal(though XBLA does have Castle Crashers. God I love Castle Crashers.)
2.Megaman 9 was made for Wiiware, then ported to XBLA, so is that really a plus for XBLA? We had already gotten Alien Hominid years earlier, so i dont think getting Behemoth games was an issue. (for once we agree on something. Braid is great, but it has gotten more praise than it deserves).
3. We've been getting new 2D Sonic games for years. This is the problem with not paying attention to handhelds Smug.
4.A new Battletoads, or even a port would be awesome.
While I love XBLA as much as the next guy, and while this topic had so much potential, get your facts right next time.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By AgentJ
vermifuge said:
"DudeAgentJ said:
"SmugDarkLoser said: Honestly, for such a fairly smart idea for a topic, this original post has so many flaws.

1. XBLA has been around for a year longer than WiiWare, and yet WiiWare could be argued to have a better lineup. I personally would call them about equal(though XBLA does have Castle Crashers. God I love Castle Crashers.)
2.Megaman 9 was made for Wiiware, then ported to XBLA, so is that really a plus for XBLA? We had already gotten Alien Hominid years earlier, so i dont think getting Behemoth games was an issue. (for once we agree on something. Braid is great, but it has gotten more praise than it deserves).
3. We've been getting new 2D Sonic games for years. This is the problem with not paying attention to handhelds Smug.
4.A new Battletoads, or even a port would be awesome.
While I love XBLA as much as the next guy, and while this topic had so much potential, get your facts right next time.
"
Dude chill.  Any discussion that dose not descend into immaturity is a good one.  My 0.02I have had a ball with games like Pain, Flow, flower and even noby noby boy.  Granted other games like Mega Man 9, Street fighter 2 HD Remix  and Wiperout HD have all been great fun too.  what i miss though is the ability to share these games with friends.  yeah most of them are actually pretty cheap.  Noby Noby boy was only $5 and flower was only $10.  "
I'm not sure how asking him to be correct with his facts is immature, but if you say so.
Yeah, I'm glad they did SFIIHDTR. Almost as great as Castle Crashers, at least it was until I let my gold subscription die. 
Lost Winds and World of Goo are great too, and I cant wait for "a Boy and his Blob" and "Cave Story"
BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BawlZINmotion

2D gaming never stopped on handheld platforms, though I agree with the general statement about this generation. However the original intention of XBLA was to sell "arcade" games, not what it, PSN and WiiWare haved evolved into. I hardly think Microsoft orchestrated what we currently know and I believe you give them far too much credit.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Whose idea was it to cover a 2d platformer in fucking bloom?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By get2sammyb

I agree with Smug here - the XBLA, and subsequently WiiWare and PSN really are one of the best things to happen this generation for me. I love getting up on Saturday morning, realising I don't really have much to play, and picking up a quick 4 hour weekend experience for £4.99 or whatever. It's brilliant.

As a Playstation 3 owner, I also have to quickly bring up that I genuinely love the way Sony seem to be supporting their particular store. Taking chances on slightly quirky stuff is what defines the Playstation for me. Things like flower, Noby Noby Boy, even Linger In Shadows are thoroughly enjoyable. I also like that Sony are supporting full length games on the platform (Wipeout, Siren, Burnout).

All in all though, I think all three consoles are doing a great job with their digital stores.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Red

Me. Handhelds have always been 2d, and we will never not see flash games.

I actually think this whole XBLA and PSN thing (not WiiWare quite as much) have been taking away the market from handheld games--especially those on the PSP.
If you wanted to make a 2d game last generation, you'd have to put it on the GBA. Now, you just go onto XBLA and there's your Castle Crashers.
NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NukeGoBoom

No pics of Pixel Junk?

No Caption Provided
 pointless pic...

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By penguindust

Well, I'm going to be that guy and remind everyone that what XBLA does is nothing more than bring to the console something that had been on PCs for years.  What it (and PSN/WiiWare) has successfully done is monetize older games which have been MAME'd around the net for the past decade.  Also, it has given larger publishers motivation to return to their old licenses and spiffy them up for a modern console era.  I believe that many independant games sold on the consoles would still have existed whether or not XBLA was around.  All you have to do is look at the Independent Games awards to see that creative games are still being developed and most of them are in the PC space. http://www.igf.com/02finalists.html

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

If you want indie games, get a PC ^_^

Aquaria

Mount&Blade (Fan made, not really representative of the game. Still cool.)

Battle for Wesnoth (Really old trailer, the game has improved a lot.)

Knytt/Knytt Stories
(No good videos that I could find. Sorry, just PLAY IT!)

Noitu Love 2 (God awful quality.)

Cave Story (Fanmade. It says WiiWare but whatever, it's the PC version :P)

Cratyon Physics Deluxe

DEFCON

Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. ^_^
Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jimbo7676

I agree somewhat although like the guys mentioned on the bombcast the XBLA games are well hidden and there is no way to determine which ones are the good ones unless you do research on the internet or something which Joe Consumer will not do. I don't know about a 2d rebirth but I'm glad to see Indie companies actually become profitable in the face of everyone saying that they couldn't be profitable. I think all the 2d stuff is probably because the look of 2d sprites are more timeless and easier to do then 3d which can look outdated if the company doesn't have the resources. I like 2d games though so if it came back into style that would cool with me.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aurelito

not very special. There were many superb 2D games in last generation too like Alien Homonoid.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Chainblast said:
"2D gaming never stopped on handheld platforms, though I agree with the general statement about this generation. However the original intention of XBLA was to sell "arcade" games, not what it, PSN and WiiWare haved evolved into. I hardly think Microsoft orchestrated what we currently know and I believe you give them far too much credit."
There's something different between the two.  When you're having these on consoles they're console quality, handheld games typically have handheld features and whatnot.  And there is a difference between a console style side scroller and a handheld one

Aurelito said:
"not very special. There were many superb 2D games in last generation too like Alien Homonoid. "
That's true, there were, but not nearly as many.  I really only remember 2 major ones-- Alien Hominid and Viewtiful Joe.  That being said, those titles don't validate their price.
Anyway, you're forgetting something as well---> those were all funded by larger companies

And to who was talking about the pc gaming indie titles.  While I respect those, the truth is, I'm more so focusing on the rebirth of an older gaming style, not hugely about the craziness or smaller scale full sized project things (if you understand what that means).  A couple of those do fit for  the record though.  I'm really looking forward to new platformers and beat em ups.  Side scrollers really.  It's a dead genre (basically) that could come back.  Yea, there are 3d platformers and action games, but while I like them (especially my 3d platformers!) they're just not the same.
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Godwind

Meh, I don't think it makes this generation anything special.

2d games?  Exist on the DS.  Even Sonic is 2D on the DS. 

Indie games?  Get a PC.  Also, Indie games have always existed on consoles.  You just never bought them or cared for them.