#1  Edited By EvilDingo
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Most likely just for the Sony versions. It's not like they'll waste all the work done on Wii or 360. I hope.

Edit: Well that's what the article says. It sucks they are delaying the other versions though. 11th hour changes suck :|

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

I just hope that delay, while obviously done for timed exclusivity reasons, may allow them to polish the game a little more, at least for the Wii version which isn't the same as on the HD platforms so it probably can use all the extra development it can, as nifty as it seems.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By StaticFalconar

yeah cause ghostbusters is going to get the masses to get a PS3.....

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By EvilDingo
Al3xand3r said:
"I just hope that delay, while obviously done for timed exclusivity reasons, may allow them to polish the game a little more, at least for the Wii version which isn't the same as on the HD platforms so it probably can use all the extra development it can, as nifty as it seems."
It's actually funny... Wasn't it just recently someone at Sony commented on how they DIDN'T do stuff like that while Microsoft do? 
... Pretty sure they mention something about that on various podcasts I listened to.

Meltbrain said:
"Also... linkified for lazy people.

http://kotaku.com/5242106/sony-now-publishing-ghostbusters-non+sony-releases-threatened"
I think I might have posted that post in a bit of a hurry. I screwed up the title too :-)

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

Good move for Sony but bad for Atari really. Maybe having an ex Sony child at the helm has something to do with it. It depends on how much they paid for it of course, but they're severely limiting the appeal of the other versions as they won't be launching alongside the movie anymore. Say goodbye to the casual and mainstream impulse purchases, which can certainly play a big factor as past movie games that were crap yet sold insanely well show. This one's actually seeming to be a good game so that helps, but meh, why do this? For Atari I mean, obviously Sony loves to be able to show games that sold so much better on their platforms.

@EvilDingo: Suits are always full of crap, all companies do that stuff, whether it's buying an existing game's exclusivity, or paying a third party to develop for them or whatever other similar deals can be done. To pretend they don't do "that stuff" is lame. What, they wanna convince people that any developer working on PS3 doesn't do it for their financials but because they love working on it more than any other system? It's not like developers decide, it's the publishers who decide for the most part, and they don't decide based on the specs or other such stuff, that's for sure.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By KaosAngel

There's nothing shady.  Sony owns the IP and people can't complain it's unfair.  Sony wins regardless....every copy they sell on any console goes back to them.

It's basic business. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Nothing's "shady" about any such business. Who said it's "shady" ? It's pretty clear what's happening. People just don't like it. Also, I doubt SCE has a say in what Sony Pictures (or whatever it's called) does, otherwise all those Spiderman and whatever games would be exclusive. As would this. As they'd help boost the PS3's position in the market. But they never are. They sound completely independent despite having the Sony label. This is only different because SCE decided to shell out the cash for the publishing rights. I doubt they got it for free. And I don't even know if they got it directly from Sony Pictures or just from Atari. Probably the latter since Atari already had them.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By thiago
Al3xand3r said:
"Nothing's "shady" about any such business. Who said it's "shady" ? It's pretty clear what's happening. People just don't like it. Also, I doubt SCE has a say in what Sony Pictures (or whatever it's called) does, otherwise all those Spiderman and whatever games would be exclusive. As would this. As they'd help boost the PS3's position in the market. But they never are. They sound completely independent despite having the Sony label."

Where were those people when Microsoft paid Rockstar not to release its DLC for the PS3, or paid for keeping the Fallout 3 DLCs as exclusives?

I don't really care about Ghostbusters, but the reaction of those "people" is hilarious.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

So, you didn't see "people" saying they don't like the DLC exclusivity either? Those "people" are always there, just from different camps. Duh? Did you expect 360 or Wii owners to be all over this news or something? I mean, it affects them in a negative way, if only for a short while. What's peculiar or hilarious about it? If something affects PS3 owners negatively, they'll complain, if something affects 360 owners negatively, they'll not be happy with it either, I fail to see the logic in expecting something different from these reactions, or finding them somehow amusing when they're from 360 owners but justified when they're from PS3 owners. That's a paradox, yeah? I guess this forum, like any other, isn't free from the fabled system warz way of thinking, even from people pretending to be neutral. Oh well.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
thiago said:
"Al3xand3r said:
"Nothing's "shady" about any such business. Who said it's "shady" ? It's pretty clear what's happening. People just don't like it. Also, I doubt SCE has a say in what Sony Pictures (or whatever it's called) does, otherwise all those Spiderman and whatever games would be exclusive. As would this. As they'd help boost the PS3's position in the market. But they never are. They sound completely independent despite having the Sony label."
Where were those people when Microsoft paid Rockstar not to release its DLC for the PS3, or paid for keeping the Fallout 3 DLCs as exclusives?I don't really care about Ghostbusters, but the reaction of those "people" is hilarious."
It's awesome dude.  Xbots are the most amazing thing to happen in gaming.  They are the Fox News of us gamers and make us look so bad.  Final Fantasy XIII, KoFXII, BlazBlue, Tekken 6, GTAIV, Fallout 3 Exp, etc...all of them have been bought by Microsoft and the Xbots don't call foul play.  They embrace it.

Fanboys are the caner to this industry and it's hilarious.  Just buy all the consoles and stop complaining.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

What? Foul play? Didn't you just say it's basic business practices earlier? Did you expect 360 owners to complain about getting games or something? See my last post I guess... Who even said it's "foul play" for Ghostbusters? Nobody here's worked up over it. Where are these Xbots you speak of as if they're flooding this thread with whining and bitching? System warz happen here even when one side remains quiet lol :S

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel
Al3xand3r said:
"What? Foul play? Didn't you just say it's basic business practices earlier? Did you expect 360 owners to complain about getting games or something? See my last post I guess... Who even said it's "foul play" for Ghostbusters? Nobody here's worked up over it. Where are these Xbots you speak of as if they're flooding this thread with whining and bitching of "foul play" or something?"
I have to wait longer for the Final Fantasy XIII International Version!  This is a load of crap!  Famitsu last year said FF13 International would come out 6 months after the European Launch and because 13 is coming out to both the PS3/360, it got pushed back for US/EU!

I want the International Version of 13 because the International Versions are always the director's cut of Square Enix games here in Japan!

I have to wait 6 extra months because of MS buying the rights for 13!  That means I can't play FF13 International UNTIL 2011!  THAT IS WRONG AND UNCALLED FOR!  What am I going to do now?  Buy Final Fantasy XIII this Christmas and wait a year and a half for the damn International?!

IT'S NOT FAIR!  /sadface
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

O... K... Lol. Crazy. Japan can do that I guess?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KaosAngel
Al3xand3r said:
"O... K... Lol. Crazy. Japan can do that I guess?"
You have NO idea how much better the International versions of Square Enix games are. 

Kingdom Hearts II - FInal Mix, Final Fantasy X - International , Final Fantasy XII - Interntional all have NEW battle systems.  FF12 changes the battle system 100% and makes it not only playable but one of the greatest JRPGs.  It's a shame they didn't release it in US/EU because it's NOT the same game.  KH2 and FFX are the same deals. 

Back on topic - I'm surprised Sony didn't do this with Spierman games...
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By get2sammyb

This is crazy. This is such a shock. I totally understand why Sony have done it, they sent out the press release here in Europe this morning totally highlighting that they obviously want to make a big push for the Blu-Ray movie and the game. It's kinda an awesome business move from Sony in some ways -- I'm expecting them to do a big push for this. You know: "Hey Ghostbusters. Get the new blu-ray movie, oh hey which plays on a PS3 -- which guess what; the video game is only available on PS3 and PSP." -- you can see how they can make a big deal out of it.

As for Atari. I don't really get why they've gone along with it. This is shit on their part.

Feel bad for 360/Wii etc owners who have to wait for this though.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By EpicSteve

I think we need to wait for more news on this issue. The article was vague on rather or not 360 & Wii owners will be affected. I think worst case would be a timed exclusive.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
EpicSteve said:
"I think we need to wait for more news on this issue. The article was vague on rather or not 360 & Wii owners will be affected. I think worst case would be a timed exclusive. "
The worst case would be canceling the 360/Wii versions...I would think...
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VWGTI

Weird news.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By get2sammyb

I'm still not sure if this just applies to Europe or not. The press release I got from Sony explicitly said it was "PAL" regions and SCEE who had picked it up:

I quote:

"Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) , Sony Pictures Consumer Products, and Atari Europe today announced that Ghostbusters: The Video Game for PLAYSTATION3 (PS3) and PlayStation2 is to be published in PAL territories by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe in June, meaning that owners of PS3 and PlayStation 2 will get their hands on the game that reunites the cast of the hit movies.  To mark the 25th anniversary of the well-loved franchise, the game will launch in coordination with the Blu-ray release of the original hit movie and licensing programs from Sony Pictures Consumer Products Inc.  Ghostbusters: The Video Game will launch in Europe and PAL regions on June 19th 2009 exclusively for PS3 and PlayStation 2. "

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EvilDingo

According to Destructoid it only applies to Europe... However they speculate (that's Jim Sterling speculating I guess) that Sony without a doubt will try to make this apply world-wide.

Either way since I'm European it aplies to me :-)

... Well... Perhaps not really - I usually don't buy games when they are new anyway. But since I was personally mildly interested in the Wii-version, I'll have to wait even longer to acquire that game, since I usually wait for prices to drop.

Who knows - Perhaps I'll just pick up the PS3-version at a lower price when the version for the other platforms are released.
It looks like a crappy deal for Atari to me.
KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By KingBroly

So...it's the same thing Microsoft did with Rock Band, isn't it?  Out in Europe only on ____ for X months

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#25  Edited By LordAndrew
get2sammyb said:
"Ghostbusters: The Video Game will launch in Europe and PAL regions on June 19th 2009 exclusively for PS3 and PlayStation 2. ""
So I guess Europe can say goodbye to all other versions of the game? Hopefully this only actually affects the the PS3 and PS2 version, allowing another publisher to pick up the other versions.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By EpicSteve
KaosAngel said:
"EpicSteve said:
"I think we need to wait for more news on this issue. The article was vague on rather or not 360 & Wii owners will be affected. I think worst case would be a timed exclusive. "
The worst case would be canceling the 360/Wii versions...I would think..."

Yeah, but I don't think that's realistic. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This only affects the PAL region. In case that wasn't established.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By End_Boss

What a filthy, underhanded move by both Sony and whoever it is that signed off on that last minute publishing deal (I want to say Atari, but I won't point the finger of blame without absolute certainty). Snatching up the publishing rights in early to mid stage development is one thing; that's a respectable play to up your console's value with an exclusive (at least temporarily so) title. But sneaking in to cut consumers off at the knees in the final stages of hype? Man... Moves like that make my skin crawl.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Al3xand3r
bugmenot said:
"It's not like anyone cares about PAL territories anyway"
Or, uh, PAL people do...
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KaosAngel
Al3xand3r said:
"bugmenot said:
"It's not like anyone cares about PAL territories anyway"
Or, uh, PAL people do..."

One good thing this gen is the lack of region locking or the simple to use freeloaders!  Plus HD doesn't matter for PAL or NTSC.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Al3xand3r

Importing is still a hassle if not extra money. Oh and the Wii's region locked if you don't have homebrew on it. Still, most people don't import, otherwise the PAL companies would be out of business you know, almost always game releases are later here.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By maxszy

That's really strange.

Sucks for those in the PAL region, I'm sorry for them if they were looking forward to this. This is a disappointment for sure. If its releasing in other parts of the world normally, then I guess that extra time wont even be used for more tweaking? Just sitting?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KaosAngel
Al3xand3r said:
"Importing is still a hassle if not extra money. Oh and the Wii's region locked if you don't have homebrew on it. Still, most people don't import, otherwise the PAL companies would be out of business you know, almost always game releases are later here."
You just need a freeloader...no homebrew.  I import games from the States all the time and it's cheaper than the home territory.  There's a lot of Europeans who import it as well...America has the cheapest game prices in the world.  The average price for a PS3/360 game here is 8500円 ($87), why do you think Play-Asia makes so much money?  All the smart gamers who live outside the States go there for games.  It's MORE of a hassle for me to take a 30 minute train to the local electronic store and go back home, than to get the game at my door in 24-48 hours.  It's also cheaper to import...
EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EvilDingo
KaosAngel said:
"One good thing this gen is the lack of region locking or the simple to use freeloaders!  Plus HD doesn't matter for PAL or NTSC."
Not sure what you're getting at precisely.
As I understand it the PS3 is the only console that's actually ignores region-restrictions and THAT'S the version we (us europeans) are gonna get anyway.

Nintendo seems to do anything in it's power to restrict usage of Freeloader by *accidently* rendering the console incompatible with the Freeloader software after certain system-updates, so I don't know how useful that suggestion is. I don't know about work-arounds for the 360.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KaosAngel
EvilDingo said:
"KaosAngel said:
"One good thing this gen is the lack of region locking or the simple to use freeloaders!  Plus HD doesn't matter for PAL or NTSC."
I don't know about work-arounds for the 360."
A good deal of 360 games are region free...there's a list around somewhere on the webs.  HD doesn't regard PAL or NTSC, it's all digital signals.  720p is 720p on every TV.  So that entire argument of signals is void.  Why do you think PC games were never restricted in region locking?
EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EvilDingo
KaosAngel said:
"EvilDingo said:
"KaosAngel said:
I don't know about work-arounds for the 360."
A good deal of 360 games are region free...there's a list around somewhere on the webs.  HD doesn't regard PAL or NTSC, it's all digital signals.  720p is 720p on every TV.  So that entire argument of signals is void.  Why do you think PC games were never restricted in region locking?"
Well - I wasn't actually arguing anything about signal-incompatibility... Just the particular restrictions Nintendo put on the Wii.

Edit: ... and uncertainty about region-restriction Xbox 360 might have.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KaosAngel
EvilDingo said:

Edit: ... and uncertainty about region-restriction Xbox 360 might have.
"
360 Region Guide
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By toowalrus

But what about the other versions? They'll be coming, but later in the year, as Sony's takeover means the game will be a timed exclusive to the PlayStation home consoles.
Bummer for PAL territories. Sony are fuckers. I don't have a PS3, and I know that I wouldn't be buying the PS2 version if I knew an Xbox version was coming in a few months. Sorry that Sony was able to fuck over PAL 360 owners like this.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By get2sammyb
TooWalrus said:
"
But what about the other versions? They'll be coming, but later in the year, as Sony's takeover means the game will be a timed exclusive to the PlayStation home consoles.
Bummer for PAL territories. Sony are fuckers. I don't have a PS3, and I know that I wouldn't be buying the PS2 version if I knew an Xbox version was coming in a few months. Sorry that Sony was able to fuck over PAL 360 owners like this."
To be fair, I know everyones pissed, but I've felt like this a number of times from Microsoft.

Can we not pretend that Sony are the only people that do this please. You're either against the whole principle of timed exclusive or you're not, regardless of corporation.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Al3xand3r
KaosAngel said:
"Al3xand3r said:
"Importing is still a hassle if not extra money. Oh and the Wii's region locked if you don't have homebrew on it. Still, most people don't import, otherwise the PAL companies would be out of business you know, almost always game releases are later here."
You just need a freeloader...no homebrew.  I import games from the States all the time and it's cheaper than the home territory.  There's a lot of Europeans who import it as well...America has the cheapest game prices in the world.  The average price for a PS3/360 game here is 8500円 ($87), why do you think Play-Asia makes so much money?  All the smart gamers who live outside the States go there for games.  It's MORE of a hassle for me to take a 30 minute train to the local electronic store and go back home, than to get the game at my door in 24-48 hours.  It's also cheaper to import... "
Freeloaders aren't homebrew? As for Play-Asia, looks cool, but games don't look much cheaper if any to me, ~52.02 EUR for Muramasa plus shipping on top? How much will that cost when it gets here, 65? Or are Japanese versions always more expensive?
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KaosAngel
Al3xand3r said:
"Freeloaders aren't homebrew? As for Play-Asia, looks cool, but games don't look much cheaper if any to me, ~52.02 EUR for Muramasa plus shipping on top? How much will that cost when it gets here, 65?""
"Technically" it's just a DVD you put inside and swap it out for the game.  No installing stuff, just a quick and easy swap.  65 is cheaper than what I have to pay...>_<  so it works for us here.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By toowalrus
get2sammyb said:
"TooWalrus said:
"
Bummer for PAL territories. Sony are fuckers. I don't have a PS3, and I know that I wouldn't be buying the PS2 version if I knew an Xbox version was coming in a few months. Sorry that Sony was able to fuck over PAL 360 owners like this."
To be fair, I know everyones pissed, but I've felt like this a number of times from Microsoft.Can we not pretend that Sony are the only people that do this please. You're either against the whole principle of timed exclusive or you're not, regardless of corporation."
How many times have all versions of a game been announced to be released simultaneously, only to have a company step in and hold other versions back? I know Microsoft will design a game, and hold it as an exclusive, but I've never seen them do this. If you've got examples though, I'd love to hear them.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By get2sammyb
TooWalrus said:
"get2sammyb said:
"TooWalrus said:
"
To be fair, I know everyones pissed, but I've felt like this a number of times from Microsoft.Can we not pretend that Sony are the only people that do this please. You're either against the whole principle of timed exclusive or you're not, regardless of corporation."
How many times have all versions of a game been announced to be released simultaneously, only to have a company step in and hold other versions back? I know Microsoft will design a game, and hold it as an exclusive, but I've never seen them do this. If you've got examples though, I'd love to hear them."
Rock Band 2. Exact same situation as this in Europe. EXACT. Except switch PS3 and 360.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Al3xand3r
KaosAngel said:
"Al3xand3r said:
"Freeloaders aren't homebrew? As for Play-Asia, looks cool, but games don't look much cheaper if any to me, ~52.02 EUR for Muramasa plus shipping on top? How much will that cost when it gets here, 65?""
"Technically" it's just a DVD you put inside and swap it out for the game.  No installing stuff, just a quick and easy swap.  65 is cheaper than what I have to pay...>_<  so it works for us here."
Oh, I didn't know about those. What's the best one and how much would it be? Can I just burn it or something? I can't use the homebrew apps yet since I have updated to 4.0, so that's stopped me from getting the likes of Tatsunoko, which has a decent price on Play-Asia.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KaosAngel
Al3xand3r said:
"Oh, I didn't know about those. What's the best one and how much would it be? Can I just burn it or something? I can't use the homebrew apps yet since I have updated to 4.0, so that's stopped me from getting the likes of Tatsunoko, which has a decent price on Play-Asia."
Here you go.  It's cheap and it's LEGAL!  Jeff talked about having one on the Bombcast for the VERY same reasons you want one.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Al3xand3r

That looks like an ad infested blog? And um, I see comments saying that it doesn't work with update 3.2 and later? Might as well use homebrew if I was at that firmware version, I've updated to 4.0 already. Legal or not (I doubt it's illegal here), it would have the same effect and be free... But I can't, until the 4.0 exploits are out... SDHC support was too good to pass up.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EvilDingo
Al3xand3r said:
"That looks like an ad infested blog? And um, I see comments saying that it doesn't work with update 3.2 and later? Might as well use homebrew if I was at that firmware version, I've updated to 4.0 already. Legal or not (I doubt it's illegal here), it would have the same effect and be free... But I can't, until the 4.0 exploits are out... SDHC support was too good to pass up."
...and THAT was the system-update problem I was referring to with regards to Freeloader and the Wii :-)

@ KaosAngel: 
Have you imported a lot of games?
Because I have had a game get "caught" by customs recently. Let's just say that my copy of GTA Chinatown Wars wasn't exactly cheap anymore ;-)

Funny thing was I actually didn't know the game I ordered was from outside EU, since it was sent from one of the British Islands - an island that apparently was self-governed and outside EU. Go figure :-)
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Al3xand3r

I guess I missed that in your post. Oh well.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

That's really assy.  They essentially are hurting gamers directly here.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By EvilDingo
Al3xand3r said:
"I guess I missed that in your post. Oh well."
Actually wasn't trying to give you a hard time or anything - just bringing attention to the "first!"-factor of my previous post :-)

I just remember I was looking into Freeloader at some point, because I was considering importing Super Smash Brothers Brawl at some point - and I had also picked up a pretty complete collection of Resident Evil Gamecube games, which contained a pair NTSC-titles... But was ultimately scared off by the continuing "struggle" between Datel and the Wii's system-updates.

... So what - I have a couple of games I can't play... They look good on the shelf... 
well, not really - but I might pick up a Gamecube at some point... I guess.