Still worth it to buy a DS?

fixerofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By fixerofdeath

After seeing some of the stuff coming out with Pokemon White/Black versions, I've got this wanting to play it very badly. Alas, I still haven't bought a DS. Would it still be worth my time and money to buy a DS, and if you think so recommend me some games, and which type of DS I should purchase and where, for the best price?

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

absolutely!  

play these;  

those are my reccomendations since i can't really think right now. someone'll come soon to give you a full list.  

...now that i mention it, there's a list somewhere, isn't there? 
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

DS Lite.  You don't need the DSi features as they are useless, DSiWare is mostly full of shit and the redesign isn't anything significant.  The DS Lite is cheaper and is bright enough for all you would need. 

Suggestions:

All of these are great games that I'm sure you would enjoy.*

*Except for maybe TWEWY, as those who hate it really hate it.
spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By spaceturtle

I got the first DS and have spent some time with the little machine, and it's pretty damn good. I gotto say though, I usually only use it when out traveling and not so much when just at home. But still, on occasions I take it out and fire up some Mario even when not out on the road. And yeah, games for the DS, any Mario game really. And of course.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By buzz_clik

The DS Lite is still the finest handheld ever created, and I think it's what I play the most (but only because I can't take my 360 on the tram).

@AjayRaz said:

" ...now that i mention it, there's a list somewhere, isn't there?  "
Sure is. Here's Agent J's list of brilliance.

@FluxWaveZ said:
" The World Ends With You "
I keep meaning to check that out.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By JJWeatherman

Chrono Trigger 

The Zelda games 

The Castlevania games 

Go get 'em.

fixerofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fixerofdeath
@FluxWaveZ said:
"DS Lite.  You don't need the DSi features as they are useless, DSiWare is mostly full of shit and the redesign isn't anything significant.  The DS Lite is cheaper and is bright enough for all you would need. 

Suggestions:

*Except for maybe TWEWY, as those who hate it really hate it. "

I may just pick up a DS Lite. Amazon has them listed for $130, you thinks thats the cheapest you'll find them?
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Icemael
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@FluxWaveZ said:
" DS Lite.  You don't need the DSi features as they are useless, DSiWare is mostly full of shit and the redesign isn't anything significant.  The DS Lite is cheaper and is bright enough for all you would need. 

Suggestions:

*Except for maybe TWEWY, as those who hate it really hate it. "
Those people need to die.
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hell yes, i myself bought a Ds Lite because i also wanted to play some GBA games and don't need a CAMERA on a DS.  Had a ton of fun with the games i do have which are at this time Chrono Trigger, The World Ends With You, Kingdom Hearts 358/2, and Pokemon SS.  Really looking forward to buying Picross 3D, and a Fire Emblem Type game though. Almost forgot Castlevania, i have really been wanting one of the DS games myself but i can't find them new anywhere.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@buzz_clik said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
" The World Ends With You "
I keep meaning to check that out. "
You should.  I won't assure you that you'll like it, but it's a very unique game and I think everyone should try it out, at least for a little bit.

@FixerofDeath said:
" I may just pick up a DS Lite. Amazon has them listed for $130, you thinks thats the cheapest you'll find them? "
That's relatively expensive for a DS Lite.  The price you should pay for one is about 100$-110$ with everything included.

@NekuSakuraba said:
" Those people need to die. "
Normally I'd say that they're entitled to their opinions, but here, I agree. ;)
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ISuperGamerI

Damn it this topic makes me wanna play my DS again. I say buy a DS (not DSi unless you have the extra cash) and the games that people have recommended.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shirogane
@Icemael said:
"What do you mean, "still"? As time passes, the price drops and more games get released, so... it's worth it now more than ever, and it's only going to get better. Here are some recommendations: 

1. The World Ends With You
  2. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
  3. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
  4. Pokemon Pearl
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  6. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
  7. Pokemon HeartGold
  In that order. "

Really? Pearl? And above HeartGold? 
Also, what about Spirit Tracks? You have Phantom Hourglass on there...
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By damnboyadvance

There are a handful of good games on the DS. Check out the list of them, which people have probably already posted by now. If they are your type of games, consider it!

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By sopranosfan

I would get a DS lite unless you really want to take pictures of yourself on your DS.  But personally considering how close we are to E3 I would probably wait to see details about the 3DS but that is just me.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By Icemael
@Shirogane said:
" @Icemael said:
"What do you mean, "still"? As time passes, the price drops and more games get released, so... it's worth it now more than ever, and it's only going to get better. Here are some recommendations: 

1. The World Ends With You
  2. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
  3. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
  4. Pokemon Pearl
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  6. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
  7. Pokemon HeartGold
  In that order. "
Really? Pearl? And above HeartGold? Also, what about Spirit Tracks? You have Phantom Hourglass on there... "
I haven't played Spirit Tracks. 

And yes, Pearl. I've spent 370 hours on that game. HeartGold, on the other hand, I got tired of after 40. They made the interface worse, almost no Pokemon I like were in the game, and I had already played the original Gold so with very few exceptions, I already knew about all the locations and events. It's my least favorite game in the series.
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Steve_C

Wait until after e3. There's a good chance that the 3DS will be backwards compatible, though you might have to wait a little until it's released.

But yes, there are games that you should absolutely play.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By apathylad

The DS has a great library, and the 3DS probably isn't going to come out over here until 2011, so I don't see why you should wait.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By august

There's also tons of good homebrew like this and this.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@Apathylad said:
" The DS has a great library, and the 3DS probably isn't going to come out over here until 2011, so I don't see why you should wait. "
Plus, you can trade it in for the 3DS when the times comes I guess.
The_Big_Rough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By The_Big_Rough

Got two that are sitting under about 56 layers of dust

mod6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mod6

I'd add megaman 5, i really liked this game!

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mono_Listo

Every time I think about buying a DS, netbook, or eReader, I remind myself that I could spend a few hundred bucks more and lock myself with an iPad - which will game just as well, while offering more.

Hmmm... dunno.

Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Moridin
@Mono_Listo said:
" Every time I think about buying a DS, netbook, or eReader, I remind myself that I could spend a few hundred bucks more and lock myself with an iPad - which will game just as well, while offering more.  Hmmm... dunno. "
An iPad certainly offers more, as far as gaming goes, but I don't think it offers quality. Sure, there are some great iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad games, I'm not denying that fact at all, but they are few and far between.  The versatility of the iPad is certainly worth taking into consideration, but if it's strictly gaming we're talking about - I'd still go with a DS. 

To each his own, however!
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By c1337us

There are tonnes of games on the DS that make it worth buying.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26  Edited By Geno

It really depends on when the 3DS is coming out (it's backwards compatible), if it's coming out only 4-5 months from now then I wouldn't get a DS. 

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mono_Listo
@Moridin said:

" @Mono_Listo said:

" Every time I think about buying a DS, netbook, or eReader, I remind myself that I could spend a few hundred bucks more and lock myself with an iPad - which will game just as well, while offering more.  Hmmm... dunno. "
An iPad certainly offers more, as far as gaming goes, but I don't think it offers quality. Sure, there are some great iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad games, I'm not denying that fact at all, but they are few and far between.  The versatility of the iPad is certainly worth taking into consideration, but if it's strictly gaming we're talking about - I'd still go with a DS.  To each his own, however! "
I hear you - the dedicated gaming device will of course deliver a better gaming experience (I would have plenty of quality titles to choose from, from multiple sources, while I'm restricted to the iStore for my Pad). But still, it's hard for me to justify a $250-ish DS when I could merely double that and get a more powerful device that does things a DS could never competently do. All about the trade offs. I'm still undecided. DS and an eReader, best of both worlds, or just an iPad?
HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By HaroldoNVU

Definitely. First, because not only the 3DS doesn't have a official launch date, but also because it will probably only have crappy launch titles for a good time and, if Nintendo stays true to their book, they'll probably release a better version of the 3DS a year or so later that will make the original feel worthless. Second, while the 3DS will probably be backwards compatible with the DS, you get to start playing the ds amazing library now. Like FluxWaveZ said the DSi is crap, though you might like the size of the XL. A few suggestions from games I have:
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Mario Kart DS
Chrono Trigger

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By ATrevelan

The handheld Megami Tensei games are also pretty sweet: Devil Survivor and Strange Journey.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By MysteriousBob
Sherbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sherbie

I bought an original ds a few months ago from game it was only about £40. I've really enjoyed it, its got a gba slot so i'm still able to play classics like golden sun and the old pokemon series. The original is a great, hardy little thing and if you're not bothered about all the flashy applications that come with later models then i'd definitely recommend getting this.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Arbie

Sure you should! Mean Girls comes out soon! 

On another note, I'm glad I found this thread. I bought a DS about a month or so ago, well whenever HG came out; I actually only got it for that reason. I spent 50 odd hours on it in the first few days, pretty good game really. If you have the money for one I don't see anything wrong with getting it for a certain game, plus I don't think you can really go too wrong with Mario games if you're at a loss for what else to buy for it. I've seen a few games on here I forgot about, and now want to pick up. Just watch out for the 90% of games which look like complete and utter shite!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#33  Edited By AgentJ
@FixerofDeath:@buzz_clik: 
As Buzz so aptly noted, there is a list on this site that shows just how worth it buying a DS is.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#34  Edited By AgentJ
@Mono_Listo said:
" @Moridin said:

" @Mono_Listo said:

An iPad certainly offers more, as far as gaming goes, but I don't think it offers quality. Sure, there are some great iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad games, I'm not denying that fact at all, but they are few and far between.  The versatility of the iPad is certainly worth taking into consideration, but if it's strictly gaming we're talking about - I'd still go with a DS.  To each his own, however! "
I hear you - the dedicated gaming device will of course deliver a better gaming experience (I would have plenty of quality titles to choose from, from multiple sources, while I'm restricted to the iStore for my Pad). But still, it's hard for me to justify a $250-ish DS when I could merely double that and get a more powerful device that does things a DS could never competently do. All about the trade offs. I'm still undecided. DS and an eReader, best of both worlds, or just an iPad? "
Wow, $250ish? Which country do you live in? In the states you can get a lite for what, 130? Even the XL is only 170.
Besides, I love the touch screen on the IPAD and DS, but I've tried playng RE4 on the pad and without tactile buttons it is a very iffy experience.