• 51 results
#1 Edited by MarkM (298 posts) -

Without doubt, this piece of music remains today one of- nay, the greatest from the 8-Bit consoles.

Never mind the fact that the rest of the soundtrack is absolutely fucking bursting with fantastically complex and rhythmic tracks that rival almost anything you can reference.

My ear pallet is very learned as a warning to any trolls who attempt to derail this thread with pedestrian choices of superior tracks.

Give it a listen and let me know what you think.

#2 Edited by TheMathlete (326 posts) -

It is definitely a great track.

#3 Posted by Sammo21 (3552 posts) -

Not only this is track great but I think the entire game is pretty amazing.

#4 Posted by Veektarius (5024 posts) -

It's all right, but I can't see myself whistling along to it, like I would a track from Secret of Mana or FFVI.

#5 Posted by Bane122 (812 posts) -

Yeah, it's a great track from a great game but, it's from a 8-bit console, not 16.

#6 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3997 posts) -

Know your 8-bit consoles from 16-bit consoles son.

It's good but I've heard a lot better on the NES. Not quite a clear catchy melody, which is what I like in a lot of 8 bit - 16 bit game music.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project has my favorite NES soundtrack.

#7 Posted by VooDooPC (338 posts) -

My favorite part of this game was the intro where he shoots the door with his Batmobile guns. I just remember the rest not being very fun.

#8 Posted by MightyDuck (1524 posts) -

Definitely brings back memories. That was one of my early NES games I remember playing a kid.

#9 Posted by Bane122 (812 posts) -

On the subject of NES music, has anyone else gotten to where you can kind of tell what company did a game just by the music? Like, Capcom, Konami, and Sunsoft all seem to have distinct sounds to their music that make it easier for me to pick them out from other stuff.

Also, I'd have to give it up to Konami for the best overall NES scores. Other companies may have put out better scores now and then but I think Konami was the best consistent.

#10 Posted by GreggD (4515 posts) -

@markm: Sorry, but...

You're wrong.

#11 Edited by Brodehouse (10130 posts) -

@markm said:

My ear pallet is very learned

BRODEHOUSE CONFUSED

#12 Posted by MarkM (298 posts) -
#13 Posted by owack6 (222 posts) -

@greggd said:

You're wrong.

Now that's a HOT JAM!

#14 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1203 posts) -

Short but sweet.

#15 Posted by Lorbst (77 posts) -

THIS is the sickest groove! =)

#16 Edited by namco51 (127 posts) -

Love that Wizards & Warriors one. I borrowed that game from somebody who claimed the game sucked, but I played the crap out of it and finished it. Used to sit there listening to that intro over and over too.

Rare did the best music. Reminds me of this classic from RC Pro-Am:

#17 Edited by ProfessorK (829 posts) -

Agreed, this is always the music that comes to mind when I think about this game. I think I beat it once, but it was hard as fuck. Great track, but I'll raise you another 8-bit action game that few people even heard of, Shatterhand.

The music throughout this game is stellar for 8-bit and the game itself is really challenging, I recommend you give it a listen.

#18 Posted by VoshiNova (1753 posts) -

@lorbst said:

THIS is the sickest groove! =)

Hot damn thats a slick beat

#19 Posted by Jeust (10860 posts) -

I liked the Batman intro song, but I loved the Ninja Gaiden intro song...

What a great song *.*

#20 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1203 posts) -

It's not an NES track, but close enough.

#21 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3997 posts) -

@bane122 said:

On the subject of NES music, has anyone else gotten to where you can kind of tell what company did a game just by the music? Like, Capcom, Konami, and Sunsoft all seem to have distinct sounds to their music that make it easier for me to pick them out from other stuff.

Also, I'd have to give it up to Konami for the best overall NES scores. Other companies may have put out better scores now and then but I think Konami was the best consistent.

Yes for sure you can notice it and yes Konami is the best on the NES. Their melodies are so tight and so catchy. Like I said in my post before I think they absolutely killed TMNT III it's unbelievably good.

#22 Edited by ch3burashka (5254 posts) -

I'ma drop a bomb on dis.

#23 Posted by DFL017 (155 posts) -

Time to waste my day off listening to Nes music.

#24 Posted by joshua1prince19212 (61 posts) -

the best, the unrivaled, the silver....surfer!

#25 Edited by BillyMaysRIP (265 posts) -

I always felt like musicians who had to work with less seemed to make the best tracks. There are a ton of great sounding games from the 8-bit and 16-bit era.

But of course, none of them match up to the greatness of 1989's Black Knight 2000:

#26 Posted by GreggD (4515 posts) -

@markm said:
@greggd said:

You're wrong.

6/10

Did you listen all the way through?

#27 Posted by johncallahan (620 posts) -

I love this thread. I want to be a part of it. These are two of my faves.

#28 Edited by PilotXIan (103 posts) -
#29 Posted by johncallahan (620 posts) -
#30 Posted by MarkM (298 posts) -

@greggd said:

@markm said:
@greggd said:

You're wrong.

6/10

I genuinely did. I gave +1 point for obscurity too.

#31 Posted by MarkM (298 posts) -

Moon Theme does nothing for me. Don't even get a single feel from it.

#32 Edited by Veektarius (5024 posts) -

Shit, that piece is in 11/8.

@markm said:

@greggd said:

@markm said:
@greggd said:

You're wrong.

6/10

#33 Posted by ripelivejam (4874 posts) -

@markm said:

My ear pallet is very learned

BRODEHOUSE CONFUSED

DOES YOU NEED A FORKLIFT TO RAISE YOUR EAR PALLET?

#34 Edited by dancinginfernal (479 posts) -

You guys are all wrong, the best 8-bit song hands down is

#35 Posted by BonOrbitz (2252 posts) -

Sunsoft had a lot of great NES soundtracks besides Batman like Gremlins 2, Blaster Master, and Fester's Quest, but Batman is probably their best.

On the topic of 8-bit soundtracks, I highly recommend y'all check out this guy's YouTube page. He has over 100 complete Nintendo soundtracks that he's converted into stereo tracks based off the games' ROMs. As expected, they sound balls nasty with headphones (especially Batman).

#36 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

ZERO BIT MUSIC: This is going to cause major earworm. The Windwaker music he does is almost impossible to get out of your head.

#37 Posted by GreggD (4515 posts) -

Shit, that piece is in 11/8.

@markm said:

@greggd said:

@markm said:
@greggd said:

You're wrong.

6/10

The one I posted, you mean? Solstice?

#38 Edited by Yummylee (22568 posts) -

It's now about to get real smooth up in heya.

#39 Posted by MarkM (298 posts) -

All these are terrible sug-

@yummylee said:

It's now about to get real smooth up in heya.

damn thats smooth.

#40 Posted by Dimsey (965 posts) -

I'm not exactly a connoisseur of old game music, but I've always enjoyed the tunes from Faxanadu a fair bit.

#41 Posted by BisonHero (7054 posts) -

DAT DRUM PART.

#42 Posted by Karkarov (3284 posts) -

All wannabe's, this is the legend right here baby!

#43 Edited by RAStemen (66 posts) -

How has no one put up Marble Madness?

#44 Posted by crithon (3445 posts) -

sunsoft really nailed it in the NES era, then kinda went into this downhill around the SNES era with the Loony Toons license games that were kinda okay.

But man, that music, even Gremlin's 2 is wonderful, just atmospheric and whimsical that nailed the tone of those films.

#45 Posted by Veektarius (5024 posts) -
#46 Posted by MOAB (426 posts) -

Some sweet tunes in here, but...

I mean, come on.

#47 Posted by PillClinton (3297 posts) -

That is definitely impressive, especially given the tools the composer had to work with. I'm actually most surprised by how realistic the (what sounds like) tom fills sound.

#48 Posted by Sinusoidal (1809 posts) -

@moab: It took this thread 46 posts to get to Mega Man II, the obvious winner.

This thread is a shameful, oozing pustule on the ass of Giant Bomb.

Batman's title track is OK. Mega Man II - from beginning to end - is a solid block of the rockingest fucking tunes to ever come out of the NES.

#49 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@greggd said:

You're wrong.

This is one baller track, right here.

And it's also the thing I actually enjoyed most about Solstice, because fuck that game is impossible.

#50 Edited by GreggD (4515 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@greggd said:

You're wrong.

This is one baller track, right here.

And it's also the thing I actually enjoyed most about Solstice, because fuck that game is impossible.

I tried, believe me I did. But yeah, it's hard as balls. Also the sequel, Equinox for the SNES is kind of awkward and weird. Love British game design, though.

Also, it seems like every game Tim Follin did the music for on the NES turned out to be shit. Well, I only know Solstice and Silver Surfer, but I think that almost validates my argument, alone...