General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By General_D23
@mythrol said:
" @Riboflavin: Look if you're satisfied with allowing Whiskey Media to give away content YOU PAID FOR, for free to other people, more power to you.  The simple truth is, whenever the subscription model was revealed we were told that this happy hour would be Subscriber exclusive. More a month or two later, we're told that Whiskey Media is going to start giving away 25%!!!! of that "exclusive content" for free.  Who really gives a %$&) about theater mode? Or RSS Feeds? Is that the reason to subscribe? NO! It was for the exclusive content. Adding a video player or an easier way to access content is great, but it's not a real reason to subscribe.  Now I ask, what if ESPN decided that they were going to start including ESPN with all basic cable packages, but still charge the same amount to access ESPN2, ESPNews, and ESPNU package. Effectively giving away 25% of their content. Do you seriously think that's ok? As soon as you start making paid content free; you better start adjusting the pricing of said paid content. Because subscribers ARE NOT getting the value they paid for. "
Dave took it it to the forums himself, and by the amazing power of DEMOCRACY, the vast majority of respondents gave the go-ahead for a free Happy Hour+Archive every month or so. So...tough luck?
motang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#153  Edited By motang

Awesome stuff!

Avatar image for madscientistcat
madscientistcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By madscientistcat

This is the awesomest thing ever!!  You, Whiskey Media, are my hero.

mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#155  Edited By mythrol
@General_D23:  The majority of the responses I read in that thread was for a free show every two months or so. Which I agree is far easier to swallow than 25% of subscriber shows being given away.
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#156  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I like the HTML5 player quite a bit. It's a lot better than the Flash player which randomly stops and forces me to reload the video every now and again. Fuck Flash.

Lake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#157  Edited By Lake

Trying out because of this new feature.  Still using Firefox for some things but it might get totally replaced.        

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By zFUBARz

Really no FF support? wtf guys?

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#159  Edited By Pezen

Love it!

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#160  Edited By vilhelmnielsen
@zFUBARz said:
" Really no FF support? wtf guys? "
I think you'll find, that it's FF who doesn't have HTML5 support. Their fault for staying in the past.
Fisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#161  Edited By Fisco

What about Madden!?!?

blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By blacklab

If you're not using Chrome already...hurry up.

doogiemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#163  Edited By doogiemac

Would be great if the "maximize" button to go full screen from the regular video player could be added to the theater mode player. I want to go FULL FULL SCREEN! WOO! 

*edit* BTW, totally loving theater mode. It's a great feature!

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Vodun
@mythrol said:
" Want to make subscribers happy? Stopping giving away 25% of my PAID FOR CONTENT away free to everyone each month (the free Happy Hour).   Nothing devalues my subscription more than Whiskey Media giving non-subscribers free access to something I was lead to believe I'd have to pay for to watch.  Want to make the Bastian segment free? SURE. I understand that! You already make it a separate video anyway. What would be better than using the Bastian segment as a means of making people WANT to see the Happy Hour? At the end of it say, Those of you who are subscribers we'll be starting the Happy Hour soon. For non-subscribers you still have time to get in on the action.   Just please Whiskey Media. Stop devaluing my subscription!  "
So, wait...your motivation for subscribing wasn't access for yourself, but rather exclusion of others from content? If you bleed, is it black and smells of burning souls?
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By mythrol
@Vodun said:
So, wait...your motivation for subscribing wasn't access for yourself, but rather exclusion of others from content? If you bleed, is it black and smells of burning souls? "
No. I'm saying I paid the amount I paid due to perceived value that I was getting. Take away 25% of that value and give it to everyone for free and I start feeling like Whiskey Media made a money grab on me.  

Give all the Bastion updates for free. Keep happy hour subscriber exclusive. Otherwise, what do you gain access to that you couldn't before? HD is nice, but I'm not seeing anything new with it. Same with the mobile site (which I've never been able to figure out how to access it, I just use the original this whole time). Theater Mode is interesting, but I don't even care enough to open Safari up and test it. All of this is just new ways to access the same ole' data. 

I subscribe for two reasons: 1) Support the awesome people at Whiskey Media. 2) For the Happy Hour. 

But that doesn't mean that I have no right to voice my opinion or complain just because I like the people here. TBH I think them making 1/4 of the Happy Hours free is going to HURT their chances of making people subscribers, not help it.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#166  Edited By LordAndrew
@mythrol said:
" TBH I think them making 1/4 of the Happy Hours free is going to HURT their chances of making people subscribers, not help it. "
How so? I really don't see it happening that way, unless seeing Happy Hour makes them realize they don't want to see Happy Hour any more.
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By mythrol
@LordAndrew said:
How so? I really don't see it happening that way, unless seeing Happy Hour makes them realize they don't want to see Happy Hour any more. "
Maybe a few will be that way, but that wasn't what I was talking about. I meant if you're already giving away 25% of your exclusive content for free and especially when the free show they're giving away is the really longer monthly happy hour (with the bastion interview at the beginning); then there's less incentive for people to want to subscribe. 

It's actually a two fold issue, because people who already subscribed can feel they got "burned" by Whiskey Media going back on their word and possibly choosing not to renew and also I'm sure there's plenty of non subscribers who have the attitude "Happy Hour's alright, but I already get 1 long show a month. It's not worth my money to subscribe." 

I think a FAR superior option would have been a free happy hour every Quarter, make it a big one (even possibly showing a highlight reel of the "best of moments" of the happy hour from the past 3 months) and then saying "This is what you've been missing. Subscribe now so you can be on the inside next time it goes down."

You give too much milk away for free, and no one cares to buy the cow.
Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Vodun
@mythrol said: 
No. I'm saying I paid the amount I paid due to perceived value that I was getting. Take away 25% of that value and give it to everyone for free and I start feeling like Whiskey Media made a money grab on me.    Give all the Bastion updates for free. Keep happy hour subscriber exclusive. Otherwise, what do you gain access to that you couldn't before? HD is nice, but I'm not seeing anything new with it. Same with the mobile site (which I've never been able to figure out how to access it, I just use the original this whole time). Theater Mode is interesting, but I don't even care enough to open Safari up and test it. All of this is just new ways to access the same ole' data.   I subscribe for two reasons: 1) Support the awesome people at Whiskey Media. 2) For the Happy Hour.   But that doesn't mean that I have no right to voice my opinion or complain just because I like the people here. TBH I think them making 1/4 of the Happy Hours free is going to HURT their chances of making people subscribers, not help it. "
I have no opinion as to whether it's good or bad business, but you feeling indignant for them giving people a taste of something you paid for is a bit strange. I could understand a feeling of being conned if they'd just go "bwaha! now it's all free again, suckers!" but just letting people have a taste once in a while...come on...that's a bit whiny. Just don't continue your subscription if you don't like it, it's not like anyone's forcing you.
sorteslyngel42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#169  Edited By sorteslyngel42

Fantastic

mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By mythrol
@Vodun said:
I have no opinion as to whether it's good or bad business, but you feeling indignant for them giving people a taste of something you paid for is a bit strange. I could understand a feeling of being conned if they'd just go "bwaha! now it's all free again, suckers!" but just letting people have a taste once in a while...come on...that's a bit whiny. Just don't continue your subscription if you don't like it, it's not like anyone's forcing you. "
A taste is giving someone a spoon full of ice cream. Not 1/4 of the entire gallon of the ice cream.
Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Vodun
@mythrol said:
" @Vodun said:
I have no opinion as to whether it's good or bad business, but you feeling indignant for them giving people a taste of something you paid for is a bit strange. I could understand a feeling of being conned if they'd just go "bwaha! now it's all free again, suckers!" but just letting people have a taste once in a while...come on...that's a bit whiny. Just don't continue your subscription if you don't like it, it's not like anyone's forcing you. "
A taste is giving someone a spoon full of ice cream. Not 1/4 of the entire gallon of the ice cream. "
Less bitching, more action. Cancel your subscription if you're so unhappy or shut the fuck up.
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By ocdog45

Somebody school me on how the fuck to do this via itunes, I was hesitant and it backfired on me on getting a subscription. you guys are really doing it big.

mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By mythrol
@Vodun said:
" @mythrol said:
" @Vodun said:
A taste is giving someone a spoon full of ice cream. Not 1/4 of the entire gallon of the ice cream. "
Less bitching, more action. Cancel your subscription if you're so unhappy or shut the fuck up. "
I'm glad after I completely bust up your argument you basically concede defeat by flaming me instead of making an intelligent response. 
Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Vodun
@mythrol said:
" @Vodun said:
" @mythrol said:
" @Vodun said:
Less bitching, more action. Cancel your subscription if you're so unhappy or shut the fuck up. "
I'm glad after I completely bust up your argument you basically concede defeat by flaming me instead of making an intelligent response.  "
I...I wasn't aware I had anything to lose. You're the one who considers his money lost. I'm fine with what I have. So...yeah...I'm merely pointing out to you that you have two options: Stop whining or do something about it. You're not going to get anything done by arguing with an anonymous user on an internet forum.
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By mythrol
@Vodun said:
I...I wasn't aware I had anything to lose. You're the one who considers his money lost. I'm fine with what I have. So...yeah...I'm merely pointing out to you that you have two options: Stop whining or do something about it. You're not going to get anything done by arguing with an anonymous user on an internet forum. "

It seems you're far more invested in defending Whiskey Media than I am in trying to attack them. I rather like the crew. I simply don't agree with the way they are handling the free happy hour. Keep in mind that I made 1 post on the issue and YOU felt the need to REPLY to me 4 times as I was answering your assertions. 

While I appreciate you feeling the need to tell me what my options are, please. . . .keep in mind, I don't care nor does it matter what you think. The point of my original post wasn't to start an argument as someone vehemently tries to defend Whiskey Media. It was in the hopes that someone from Whiskey Media would see it. You are really, rather insignificant. I'm just responding because it gives me something to do  while watching Quicklooks.
Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Vodun

Ok, kid. Sooner or later you're going to realize this but let me blow your mind: arguing on the internet is really rather pointless. I have nothing to gain in defending Whiskey Media, but what I do like is baiting angry forum users. And considering that you keep coming back I guess I'm successful. 

At the end of the day, I'm fine with my subscription. But you obviously felt you got burned while not having the brains/balls to actually do anything about it other than biting on flame bait from someone insignificant. Sucks to be you I guess =)

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By LordAndrew
VetleNM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By VetleNM

Wow, that's surprising. What will this mean for Giant Bomb though? Will you start using V8 in the future for these projects, or will you stick to using H.264 for the Safari users? And for us Linux users, with Chrome gone, there's no mainstream browser available with native support for H.264 as far as I know...

Hopefully this development won't mean that developers go back to using flash exclusively for streaming, though. Fingers crossed.

Silock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Silock
@LordAndrew: Has giantbomb switched to full HTML5 now or is it still using flash? 
Silock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Silock
Is the whole site using HTML5 now? 
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By LordAndrew
@Silock: Theatre mode uses HTML5 video, the main video page uses Flash. Support for the codec Giant Bomb uses is only going to get worse, so don't expect a proper switch to HTML5 video unless GB switches to a different format.

And the rest of the site doesn't use HTML5, it uses non-compliant XHTML 1.0 Strict.
motang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#183  Edited By motang

Too bad no Firefox, as Mozilla doesn't support H.264