Thank Jebus I picked the right console...

JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Edited By JJGIANT

...I don't know about you but after having watched all three E3 press conferences, I feel very sorry for Nintento Wii owners. This may be going off on a tangent but I feel I have learnt my lesson from getting a Gamecube. Thats not to say it was a lackluster system, not by a long shot, some of my greatest game experiences were had on that little purple cube. However the majority of titles I purchased for it, bar a few, were high profile first party Nintendo releases. Games like Wind Waker and MP were beautifully crafted, enganging and at some times jaw dropping experiences but, between lackluster ports and cheap third party releases, they were few and far between. Maybe it's been a long time but I cannot name one third party title in which its fun factor was equal or paramount to a title developed by the wizards at Nintendo. That's not to say that all of these releases were of sufficient quality (Mario Party, Luigis Mansion).

This lack of quality third party releases, which I could see coming out on other platforms, was something that really angered me at the time. Thankfully I have had the last laugh Nintendo. Really it's a consensus view that their press conference this year was lackluster, badly scripted, had some excrutiating banter and contained a puddle of  exciting announcements the majority of which being  the usual dish of Mario games which Nintendo somehow manages to keep on serving . ( WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT PULSE THING???!??!). In addition both Microsoft and Sony now have there own motion sensors, which look more responsive and more interesting than waggling a Wii controller. Maybe the Wii Motion Plus will completely turn the table on this but I'm doubtful.

The only thing that would have redeemed that conference, in my view, is a Wind Waker 2 announcement. Just something that someone who has fond memories of playing a Gamecube and SNES. I love Nintendo and always have but I feel that any uncertainty I felt when buying a 360 instead of a Wii has now gone.

It's probably evident that I feel a pang of annoyance on this subject, perhaps I need to check my pulse with a Wii Vitality Sensor...sigh

JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JJGIANT

...I don't know about you but after having watched all three E3 press conferences, I feel very sorry for Nintento Wii owners. This may be going off on a tangent but I feel I have learnt my lesson from getting a Gamecube. Thats not to say it was a lackluster system, not by a long shot, some of my greatest game experiences were had on that little purple cube. However the majority of titles I purchased for it, bar a few, were high profile first party Nintendo releases. Games like Wind Waker and MP were beautifully crafted, enganging and at some times jaw dropping experiences but, between lackluster ports and cheap third party releases, they were few and far between. Maybe it's been a long time but I cannot name one third party title in which its fun factor was equal or paramount to a title developed by the wizards at Nintendo. That's not to say that all of these releases were of sufficient quality (Mario Party, Luigis Mansion).

This lack of quality third party releases, which I could see coming out on other platforms, was something that really angered me at the time. Thankfully I have had the last laugh Nintendo. Really it's a consensus view that their press conference this year was lackluster, badly scripted, had some excrutiating banter and contained a puddle of  exciting announcements the majority of which being  the usual dish of Mario games which Nintendo somehow manages to keep on serving . ( WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT PULSE THING???!??!). In addition both Microsoft and Sony now have there own motion sensors, which look more responsive and more interesting than waggling a Wii controller. Maybe the Wii Motion Plus will completely turn the table on this but I'm doubtful.

The only thing that would have redeemed that conference, in my view, is a Wind Waker 2 announcement. Just something that someone who has fond memories of playing a Gamecube and SNES. I love Nintendo and always have but I feel that any uncertainty I felt when buying a 360 instead of a Wii has now gone.

It's probably evident that I feel a pang of annoyance on this subject, perhaps I need to check my pulse with a Wii Vitality Sensor...sigh

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

The GameCube was decidedly less lame than the Wii.

Avatar image for artificialstupidity
ArtificialStupidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

GameCube was an amazing console, to be honest. Metroid Prime, Super Smash Bros. Melee ( which is still the best party-game in existence ), The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Resident Evil: REmake... The game-library might have been relatively small, but there were a handful of real gems in it. And yes, I really liked the cubic design of the console and the small size of the game-cds.

With that said, Wii has been a very lackluster console - it has a couple of exceptionally good games, but other than that it's mostly collecting dust in my living-room.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

#4  Edited By TobyD81
@ArtificialStupidity: I'd say the Wii and the Gamecube are both in about the same place for me. For each,I have a handful of really exceptional titles, released in a schedule that I'd like to see packed with more stuff. At least with the Wii I can look forward to another Mario game.
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By TheKidNixon

I'll be enjoying Metroid Other M, Mario Galaxy 2, new Zelda (possibly) and whatever the new Retro project is next year. Plus No More Heroes 2, the Conduit and more Wii Sports later this year. Granted, I'll be enjoying those along side my 360, but I don't really "regret" getting my Wii. It still offers a very different experience from the other more traditional consoles (Boom Blox is one of the most amazing get-drunk-and-play games ever made) and clearly is connecting with a lot of people.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Dalai

Personally, I also picked the right console which happens to be the Wii.  You're happy with your console, I'm happy with mine.  Everybody is happy.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

Why feel very sorry for Wii owners?, I am sure they like me are perfectly happy with their console, what games they have, and what they are due to get soon.

Avatar image for artificialstupidity
ArtificialStupidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TobyD81 said:
" @ArtificialStupidity: I'd say the Wii and the Gamecube are both in about the same place for me. For each,I have a handful of really exceptional titles, released in a schedule that I'd like to see packed with more stuff. At least with the Wii I can look forward to another Mario game. "
I don't know why I feel this way, because if you look at it on paper, the Gamecube and Wii truly are on the same level. Perhaps the fact that I lived a very different life back in the GC -days has something to do with it, or perhaps I just feel that I have started to out-grow Nintendo ( seeing that I am not really excited about New Super Mario Wii or Super Mario Galaxy 2, even though I did enjoy their predecessors ). Ah well - DS is still kicking ass, though. :)
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By EpicSteve

If I only owned a Wii, I would be very pissed.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pibo47

Im being super cereal here.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By NickL

i am also very happy with my 360 but maybe that is because my undying love for most shooter games and 360 seems to do them best(in my opinion don't mean to start a war or anything)

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By super_machine

while the gamecube had its drought of games, I had a lot more variety IMO. Because it shared development space with xbox and the PS2, there were a lot more decent multiplatform games to choose from. The wii, was fun for a few games, but IMO it doesnt deliver the same experience as the PS3 or 360.

MrPerfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By MrPerfect

I prefer playing the gamecube over the Wii. I only have a Wii because my fiancee enjoys playing it and she is a casual gamer. I found that this was one of the ways that I can get her involved in one of my hobbies. 

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14  Edited By JonathanMoore
@TooWalrus said:
" The GameCube was decidedly less lame than the Wii. "
True dat.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shadow

Thank jebus I picked EVERY CONSOLE!  Even though the Wii is utter garbage, I get all the great Microsoft exclusives and everything the PS3 has to offer.  That and Hannah Montana gives me the beeeeeest of both worlds!

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Crixaliz

Lol, I also upgraded from Gamecube up to the 360. I do wish I could have seen how Metroid Prime 3 ended up, but no big deal I have Gears of War!!

rockenhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By rockenhard

If so many people hate the wii, then why has it been a sucess.
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By VWGTI

Having only a Wii would suck, but it's nice to have around so you can play the few good Wii games it has.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bhhawks78
@Linkyshinks said:
" Why feel very sorry for Wii owners?, I am sure they like me are perfectly happy with their console, what games they have, and what they are due to get soon. "
Because it seems whenever they post in a news thread they are flipping out/coming up with conspiracy theories about third parties hating them, like their "hate conspiracy" is more important than profits.  The best example is the gaf StreetFighter 4 on iphone thread, people who have bitched and moaned for sf4 on wii read the news and basically write "whatever who wants sf4 tatsunoko is way fucking better capcom sucks".  So yes I do feel sorry for people who own JUST that if it drives them to such anger.
choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By choffy21
@rockenhard: Why the hell did you revive an 8 month old topic?
SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SamStrife

Some serious Necro posting just went down...

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hunkulese
@rockenhard said:
" If so many people hate the wii, then why has it been a sucess. "
Because non gamers like the wii. Most people who buy the wii have a gaming library that consists of wii sports and maybe wii fit. If you bought the wii thinking it would competitive with the 360 or the PS3 it's your own fault. Even before it was released they made it clear they were catering to the very casual gamer and it was obvious the quality of games wasn't going to be as high.
Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TooWalrus said:
" The GameCube was decidedly less lame than the Wii. "
i only owned a gamecube last gen, now i hate the wii and nintendo
rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rateoforange

Holy crap, thread necro.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dbz1995

I loved the Gamecube. Go Necromancy!

TorgoGrooves89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TorgoGrooves89

I own a Wii. Bought it when it came out. Purchased 2 games for it. Haven't turned it on in almost a year. It's not that i don't want to use it, but i just don't feel as attached to it as i do my 360. There is just something about it that feels so lame. Maybe lame is the wrong word, but it just doesn't carry the same weight of experiance and interactivity that the 360 does. And i hate the control system. I hate it so much that i honestly feel batrayed by Nintendo. The N64 is probably my favourite console of all time, fuck nintendo for making me feel the way i do about them nowadays.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Whisperkill

My 360 recently got the RROD 

I have had to try to find Wii games since. I got SMG and Super Paper Mario and Madworld from my friend. They are all pretty good but nothing compared to my 360 games. 

Although I do really want to check out Silent Hill

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tally_Pants

you know the best way to avoid all this ... get all 3 systems... thats what i did!! 
i got my Wii first, cause not only was it the cheapest.. but ZELDA had just come out!! then i got a PS3 and i finaly broke down and bouht a used 360 for those one or two games that come that are Xbox exclusive and actually worth my time. lol
JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JJGIANT
@ZeForgotten: Hey I didnt cast ressurection on this post, someone else did. ;(
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zeforgotten
@JJGIANT: I know, I know. 
I'm not blaming you, son. Dooon't worry. 
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By turbomonkey138

ZOMBIE THREAD RUUUUN !!!

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
@rockenhard said:
" If so many people hate the wii, then why has it been a sucess. "
Because it's target demographic is the uninformed masses, and it's hit a major bulls-eye. Money can try to buy quality, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will (Which goes for everything, not just Nintendo).
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By thatfrood

I view my wii the same way I view my guitar hero controller. I need the guitar hero controller to play guitar hero games. I need the wii to play nintendo games.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ravensword

gamecube was fine, it just had a small Disc Media and wasnt supported enough. Technology wise I think it was graphicaly better than the PS2, but I could be wrong. Anyway, yeah, wii is pretty lame.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MikkaQ

I have all three, but bought my Wii last. I kinda really regret buying it, as it seems all I've played on it for more than two hours were the two No More Heroes games. Mario Galaxies was fun, but after those three, there really wasn't anything else. And I tried freaking everything. Nothing was quite as engaging as it should be, and frankly, it was mostly because of control issues. I don't have a problem with motion control, but dude... the Wii's motion control is terrible. Absolutely horrendous. The cursor is jittery, and tends to snap about, the motion stuff is a bit unresponsive too. The fact that I need a Wii Motion Plus to make it work as advertised is so frustrating, and even then, there's like 5 games that work for it. 

I'm waiting on natal now, or the PS3 one. If those works like they should, I'll probably never touch my wii again. What would be the point? All the motion control stuff, but actually working for once, and graphics that belong in this decade.