The anti-Patrick stuff is really getting out of hand.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

It seems any time Patrick says a thing that doesn't fit well with this community they lose their shit. Even saying a god damn TV is not that good and people are calling him everything they can think of and how terrible he is. It's a TV show for christ sake, get the hell over it. I've even seen comments like "I wish it was his neck he fucking broke". Seriously? Not only that, Patrick mentioned on twitter people are now finding his personal videos for friends and family to see and posting disgusting and hateful comments on them so he's forced to disable them. You're going to upset his family, harass and bully a guy over video games? It's scummy, sad, and pathetic to act that way but they do because they're keyboard warriors.

I'm not trying to be some white knight here, and legitimate criticism is fine(Hell, I've torn some game writers a new one even directly to them but for actual reasons and also not falling into personal attacks) but hateful attacks and hunting down personal things to harass him more is sick. It just seems like it's becoming more and more and I'm sick of reading it.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By gaminghooligan

may I ask because I am uninformed what TV show did he not like? (by the way I like Patrick)

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

It really is completely ridiculous. If people don't like him they should stop paying attention to him, simple as that. I don't read things by writers I don't like, it's not hard to do.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

may I ask because I am uninformed what TV show did he not like? (by the way I like Patrick)

He said The Walking Dead tv show wasn't that good.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By toowalrus

@gaminghooligan said:

He didn't say he didn't like a show, he just said "The Walking Dead is not a good show" then went on to talk about how he only watches it while on his tablet browsing the web and stuff.

It didn't personally bother me, because I'm able to recognize that my friends and I enjoy it, and that's all that really matters- but hey, this is the internet, and idiots will get pissy over literally anything- especially if they're looking for a reason to get upset at someone.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Patrick isn't suited to video content.

He should be given the role of official "writer of obscure things".

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JasonR86

Well, we met our Patrick-thread quota for the month. Good job everyone,

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gaminghooligan

@metal_mills said:

@gaminghooligan said:

oh shit. lol. I don't like it either... now all the hate are belong to me!

Seriously though, I agree with you, it's out of hand. People need to get over it, the guy is a great addition to the site. Who cares what he doesn't like or does like, you'd think everything the guy says is a personal attack on the GB community. When all he does is share an honest opinion.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

<p>Excellent. Now Patrick can be the Jim Sterling of Giantbomb.</p>

I love Patrick. He shares me love of odd games and has the "I know nothing about this game fuck it lets try it" as seen with Monster hunter.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Barrock

Some people need to be purged from the internet.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@gaminghooligan said:

@metal_mills said:

@gaminghooligan said:

Seriously though, I agree with you, it's out of hand. People need to get over it, the guy is a great addition to the site. Who cares what he doesn't like or does like, you'd think everything the guy says is a personal attack on the GB community. When all he does is share an honest opinion.

I kinda find it funny that people keep on acting like he was just added a few months ago. I believe he'll have been official new editor for giantbomb for almost 2 years now. I think Patrick has more then added a bit of personality to what Giantbomb is, without Patrick most people wouldn't know the custom of Jukebox trolling. Patrick is cool, though I used to listen to him back in his 1up podcasting days.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gaminghooligan

@gaminghooligan said:

@metal_mills said:

@gaminghooligan said:

I kinda find it funny that people keep on acting like he was just added a few months ago. I believe he'll have been official new editor for giantbomb for almost 2 years now. I think Patrick has more then added a bit of personality to what Giantbomb is, without Patrick most people wouldn't know the custom of Jukebox trolling.

Oh man I need to go Jukebox trolling sometime soon....

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kerned

@gaminghooligan said:

And it's not.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

They are jealous of the hair.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think most of the Patrick hate isn't deserved, but I think you're misrepresenting why most people were so mad in that Walking Dead quick look. It wasn't just that he didn't like it, it was that he presented his opinions as facts. He has a tendency to talk like his opinion on something is more than that, and that is the consensus on something. I think a lot of Walking Dead fans were more upset about him dissing the comic than the TV show - he said it had all these issues and that the consensus on it was poor, even though he hadn't really read it. That's why people were upset, not just because he doesn't like something they like.

But yeah it's a bit overblown, and it has been getting out of hand. He doesn't deserve the treatment he gets from a lot of the community.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Seppli

I'll never understand people, whom spout hateful things directly at people on the internet. I understand the notion of strongly disagreeing with somebody, and having the urge to be a cunt about it, but usually I have the courtesy to sputter the hateful things I have to say under my breath and into my beard - to be heard only by the gods, myself, and maybe my unlucky neighbors.

Well - one can't always help it. And some are cunts always. It's why we can't have nice things.

P.S. Evil parallel universe mustached Patrick is really growing on me. *puts on shades*

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By MachoFantastico

This is still a thing? I wouldn't mind but I don't quite get the Patrick hate. He's a likable and knowledgeable journalists who brings content to GB that was desperately lacking. Alex and Patrick have produced some great written content. I don't quite understand the hate on any level. Hell at least he experiments and tries different genres, I'm actually a fan of his recent decision to try games he wouldn't usually consider and it's produced some good written and video content.

Ha! Comparing Patrick to Jim Sterling is a disgrace The_Laughing_Man :D Jim Sterling goes out of his way to be so called 'controversial' and he's not even on the same level. Can't stand him, though that doesn't mean I go attacking Sterling and offending him, I just stay away from his work. Plus, come on folks Patrick was right about The Walking Dead, that show isn't so great. (As it's moments, don't get me wrong).

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't make your opinions sound as if they're facts. It makes you sound like a dick.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

Don't make your opinions sound as if they're facts. It makes you sound like a dick.

...in your opinion?

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kerned

@bocam: A lot people are smart enough to figure out when someone is expressing an opinion without needing to be explicitly told "this is my opinion." If someone says "x is good" or "y is bad," that's an opinion. Every time.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EnduranceFun

This thread's not going to change anything, try to have thicker skin OP.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Milkman

@bocam said:

I'm not even sure what this means. Should everyone say "I think" or "in my opinion" after everything they say? Because that would be pretty dumb....in my opinion?

If Patrick is supposedly guilty of this, so is every staff member on the site.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can this still be a thing?

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see the hate, care to provide links or screenshots? Where is this unholy evil you speak of?

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I dont think anyone should have to have thicker skin about stuff like this. Some of the stuff that gets thrown his way is just disgusting and unforgivable. Sometimes it makes me wish the rest of the staff would just come out and tell us to move on or fuck off. If people dont like him then fine, dont read his stuff or tell him in a constructive way. Ive seen Patrick reply to complaints plenty of times on his Tumblr and if its presented to him in a respectful way then he takes note.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People didn't lose their shit over his comments of the TV show. They lost their shit over his comments of the comics.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I'm not trying to be some white knight here

Why's that such a bad thing? "How dare you defend somebody from criticism and show them support! Who do you think you are?"

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaminghooligan said:

I don't usually agree with him but on that issue I am with him 100%. However, I'm pretty sure he is comparing it to the Telltale game which I also think is not that good. As a matter of fact I find the whole TWD franchise to be boring.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EnduranceFun

@happenstance said:

I dont think anyone should have to have thicker skin about stuff like this.

Yes they should, because there's nothing to be done about it, especially off-site.

davo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such drama over nothing, really. Why can't people learn to just ignore the things they hate? Sane people would rather spend their time and energy on things they love.

If you can't handle the fact that someone may not like what you like, you're a fucking baby.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

People have different opinions then me and for some reason that makes me angry!!! Unless he thinks Hitler wasn't such a bad guy or that we need to go back to separate then his opinions shouldn't matter to you. Hell, I even like to hear from people that have different opinions then me because it expands my fucking horizons.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah i think it was mainly the comic that people were upset about because Patrick over stepped his critique of the comic by saying it had the same problems as the show without fully reading the comics. So that part Patrick deserved being call out. Harassing the man on his personal channels is childish and those people need to cut it out.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will never end, unfortunately. The people who do this sort of thing have absolutely NOTHING else of importance in their lives to focus on, so just like the 8.8 brigade, they'll keep going on and on for as long as they have the energy to angrily slam their keyboard.

To them, no other issue or event in human history can possibly compare to a person joining a video game website. The Crusades, The Holocaust, Apartheid... mere foibles and follies when placed next to the utter devastation of a person expressing a disagreeable opinion about video games on the internet.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By McGhee

It's time for people to get over it already.

WOO, 5000 Posts. Maybe I'll start a party blog later.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@happenstance said:

I dont think anyone should have to have thicker skin about stuff like this.

Yes they should, because there's nothing to be done about it, especially off-site.

I would say the same thing to people who feel the need to criticize every piece of content Patrick is in. Like you, for example.

Get thicker skin, ignore the things you don't like it and get over it because as you say, "there's nothing to be done about it." Patrick isn't going anywhere.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I will never understand why people need the disclaimers of "I think" or "in my opinion". If you're talking about something subjective, then no shit it's an opinion.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EnduranceFun

@milkman said:

Get thicker skin, ignore the things you don't like it and get over it because as you say, "there's nothing to be done about it." Patrick isn't going anywhere.

That first sentence is a lie, for one. What I do comment, I'm not going to praise or ignore what I dislike to appease the hyper-sensitive defense force. Like you, for example. Worrying about "anti-Patrick" on YouTube is folly and totally non-equatable.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metal_mills said:

I'm not trying to be some white knight here

Why's that such a bad thing? "How dare you defend somebody from criticism and show them support! Who do you think you are?"

I'm not a guy going "Awwm poor Patrick! Leave him alone!". He's a man, he can stand up for himself, but seeing attacks towards someones family and friends is gross and vile. This isn't just wanting to defend him, it's condemning the actions stemmed from this.

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually just skip over quick looks where he is one of two people, and end up skipping over his part of "what you been playin'" a fair amount of the time. No active hate, I just don't find him entertaining unless hes just bouncing off Ryan Jeff or Vinny. But yea, people saying he should have snapped his neck or something are way out of line.

BrianP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BrianP

It's ironic because I get the impression these people want to keep giant bomb "like it was" but when in reality they are just making it a huge bummer.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

Most people need to be purged from the internet.

fixed it for you, free of charge!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

The Walking Dead is pretty inconsistent. But it is fun to watch so who cares, really.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well the whole walking dead thing was because patrick started talking shit about the comic, even though he said he never actually read it, and went on in great length saying why it was bad. which was just him talking out his ass.

i find patrick annoying, but i dont hate him, i fully understand people disliking it when he does things. they could just be a bit more mature about it is all.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

I'm so dissapointed in this community. I used to love this place, and I still like the videos and most of the site's users, but man there are some disgusting users on this site. I have never seen anything like this on any other site I visit and frankly I think it's embarrasing. Now there is nothing wrong in disagreeing with someone, but some of the comments are just dissapointing. I can't believe that this is what the GB community has turned into.

Oh well it's the internet after all and I guess some people still haven't realized that you can disagree with someone without getting personal.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds as though the YouTube comments he was receiving were intolerable, even considering the quality of YouTube Comments. I'm all for constructive criticism for the entire crew, but I think we can all agree that wishing harm on any of them is unacceptable.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's baffling to me that people give two fucks what he said about the comic. I really enjoy the comic quite a bit. But he doesn't. That's his opinion. Move on.

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

@fourwude said:

Patrick isn't suited to video content.

He should be given the role of official "writer of obscure things".

This.

The same applies to Alex Navarro, only he could be called the "Bad game review guy" instead.

Although, truth be told, I enjoy listening to Patrick on the Giant Bombcast.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

Man, why couldn't he criticize a worse show? Like The Big Bang Theory!

I watch the Walking Dead, but I can recognize the show's problems. I didn't like the comic all that much, either.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the OP is dead right.

half of the users on here show no shame in highlighting the fact that they are the exact opposite of what the bomb squad are - level headed, well adjusted, and warm - what people come to this site for - and the sad thing is, most of them don't even realize it, and won't, until they grow up some more, which could take tens of years at this rate. it's sad that the site has to drag this burden around with it, but hey, that's the world of gaming for you.