Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#351  Edited By Zabant
@BeachThunder said:
@Zabant said:
I played in on the original playstation.  It reminds me of braid.  Its a 2d side scroller  you're a young boy attacking these black shadows/ink monsters? He might be using a sword but I cant remember and might be mixing that memory up
Heart of Darkness?
And bingo was his name-o. 

Thanks bro.
ATTILAtheFUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#352  Edited By ATTILAtheFUN

QUESTION: All i know about is this: 

-it is a japanese/korean/etc. pop music game 
-it involves FAST clicking and is very popular and if memory serves is sometimes the sport of pro-gamers 
-it is NOT an old game. I watched someone play it maybe 3 months ago, so this isn't anything retro 
-I have a vague memory of the same, or at least the structure. It was 3 words, 3 syllables, each word 2 or 3 letters. For example:  
"no ma ga" 
"mo chi go" 
  etc.

PLEASE HELP! i really am dying to figure it out, and cant seem to find it anywhere online using the vague descriptors listed about. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!

drewmandan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#353  Edited By drewmandan

Hello Giantbomb! 

First, thanks to whoever mentioned Operation Neptune, that was one of the two games I've been trying to remember. The second one might be tougher: 

- I'm 95% sure it was on the Turbo GraphX platform (not sure it was "8 bit" or "16 bit" or whatever) 
- it includes a sidescroller type mode where you run around killing giant walking guns. I think the guns looked like pistols 
- the giant walking guns took on different colors depending on which level you were in  

Oh, and another game: 

- pc game from the early 90s
- it's a math education sidescroller where you have to hit floating boxes and each time you hit a box you have to solve an arithmetic problem 
- very colorful and cartoony, there are different settings, like space or underwater 

Thanks for the help!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#354  Edited By Video_Game_King
drewmandan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#355  Edited By drewmandan

Yay! Thanks, Video_Game_King, the first game is definitely Keith Courage. Fast reply, too.  

I don't know the whole deal with leaderboard points, hopefully someone can give you some.

powerpc127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356  Edited By powerpc127

I have two early-ish macintosh games that I'm trying to find.

The first game was an educational math game that I played on an old mac in the early 90's. It took place in a submarine that would go around shooting at red mines in the water. I remember that the art style had a lot of round edges, but that's about it. Also, whenever any video footage would play, the background would stay perfectly still, and the outline of the video was pretty noticeable. Imagine Myst, but as an underwater, educational math game. Also, you could move around inside the submarine a little bit, and there might have been different activities on different floors.There was some sort of alien companion that explained what you had to do, and he makes me think of the three eyed aliens from Toy Story, only I think he was red and white. He talked in a high pitched voice, sort of like the guy from Extra Credits (the escapist show). The only other thing I can remember was opening a treasure chest and looking straight down into it.

The other one was a bit later. I remember playing it on an early iMac. The computer was white, though, like macs are now (I think), so it was probably some time in the late 90's, right around the turn of the century. Anywho, the game featured a group of five people who you had to rescue and return to the center of the town. All of the artwork was in 2D, and it was sort of a point and click adventure game, but very basic. The main guy was a dog who would tell you what you needed to do (he was kind of like Sgt. Pepper from Starfox). He was wearing a purple or blue shirt and a backwards hat. There was also an alien with a very round, green head, and a guy with inline skates and a blue, futuristic space suit. There were others, but I forget them. The game was slightly educational. There were different locations you could go to: the post office, the library, some sort of science lab, and a recycling center are the ones that come to mind There might have also been a subway. Each one started with a short song about the place (the lyrics "let's all go to the post office" come to mind). Then you would click around, and characters would pop up telling you about what functions the building you were in served. These were usually accompanied by real images. Then, each location had a short minigame that would teach you something. One of them was an experiment to see if different objects would sink or float, and in another one you piloted a garbage truck that would seperate recycling from trash. Then at the end, all of the characters would sing a song about how they were all back together. The song ended with all of the characters on a truck driving off into the sunset.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#357  Edited By BeachThunder
@drewmandan said:
Oh, and another game:  - pc game from the early 90s- it's a math education sidescroller where you have to hit floating boxes and each time you hit a box you have to solve an arithmetic problem - very colorful and cartoony, there are different settings, like space or underwater  Thanks for the help!
Math Rescue? :o
drewmandan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358  Edited By drewmandan
@BeachThunder: Yep, that's the one. Thank you!
Kelmaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359  Edited By Kelmaro

Back again :) i just remembered another game id like to find though it might be tougher since i remember less about this game
 okay so first thing is i believe this game is a jrpg (in english though) and it had a style similar to xenogears or possibly grandia (though i haven't played grandia before) and i remember in the beggining of the game you were at a village next to a beach or just ocean and you and some other characters dicided to go into the forest (or jungle) next to the village (though i dont know why they did) and you had to fight monsters in the forest and there was a big boss to though thats all i remember and that also makes me think that this game couldve bin just a demo of the game which could also mean that it wasnt the beggining of the game but more likely i think it was

and the main reason i think this game is similar to xenogears and grandia is because this game had 2d characters and 2d background (i think) and the art style might have bin a bit similar to xenogears
and also when walking around you didnt enter random encounters you could see the enemies and when you walk into them then the fight begins and the combat itself i cant really remember but probably was similar to final fantasy or xenogears
and this was on Playstation 1

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Kelmaro

For whatever reason, I think that's Legend of Legaia. It probably isn't, but that sounds similar enough.
Kelmaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361  Edited By Kelmaro
@Video_Game_King: nope pretty sure it isnt it mainly because i remember the characters were 2d and its just the background that you walked on that im not to sure if it was 3d or 2d though if it was 2d it wasnt like 
final fantasy 1 where it was top down view it was kinda a angeled view
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#362  Edited By X19
@Kelmaro: Jade Cocoon Story of the Tamamayu. I played the hell out of the demo.

Edit:  

nope pretty sure it isnt it mainly because i remember the characters were 2d and its just the background that you walked on that im not to sure if it was 3d or 2d though if it was 2d it wasnt like final fantasy 1 where it was top down view it was kinda a angeled view

Just read this. So for example when you say the characters/backround were 2d do you mean like Alundra?  

Kelmaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363  Edited By Kelmaro
@X19: well jade cocoon isnt it and the best explanation i can think of for the the graphics of the game is that it was either alot like xenogears with 2d characters and 3d background or it was 
2d characters and 2d background  with a perspective kinda like xenogears so i guess kinda like alundra but with more detail in the background art 
(but as i say not sure if it was 3d or 2d background just think it was 2d more)

also i think when you had party members you could see them follow you when running around not to sure about that though
Kelmaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364  Edited By Kelmaro

well i found a game that looks alot like what i remember playing Called Saga Frontier 2 and it should be a good example for the graphics i almost thought it was the game but pretty sure it isnt now may have to look at it a bit more just to make sure

one other thing that i think i remember about the game (although might not be to important) is that when in combat your characters are on the right side while enemys are on the left

ajayrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365  Edited By ajayrocks

It is a tanks game.it has good graphics like( 50% graphics of angry birds ).It is not like those 1D games.In this game,you have to complete a race competing with other tanks.You get power ups like rockets,oil slicks etc....

Piririn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366  Edited By Piririn
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ok, first time posting a game in this thread. 

Used to play it with my sister.. would have been around '94-'96. Not sure if it was released around that time or not.   

2D platformer in which you played a robot of some kind. Wasn't particularly colourful if I remember correctly. Purple is in my mind for some reason. 

Pretty sure magnets played a part in the platforming/enemy killing. The game world wasn't segmented into levels I don't think. I seem to remember jumping upwards into a new screen etc.

Was awesome. Any help would be appreciated. 

Edit: Guess I should add that it definitely isn't a Mega Man game of any kind. Not in the list of games on the "magnet" concept page. Think the game name had "robo" or "robot" or something in the name... could be wrong. If I had to guess, it would be on either the 2600 or the Sega Master System... though don't let that make you think it couldn't be on another platform. 

Edit2: Hell, you know what? It may have even been on the PC.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#368  Edited By Mento  Moderator
@Kelmaro: Sorry to suggest something obvious, but was it Chrono Cross? It has graphics close to how you describe (though it's polygons) and began in a beach village. It also doesn't have random encounters and It would explain the similarity to the Square games you mentioned too.
Kelmaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369  Edited By Kelmaro
@Mento: Well chrono cross isnt it and im starting to think Saga frontier 2 is it though im having trouble believing that its it since i didnt play much of it and the part that makes me think it is it is this 

which doesnt make sense if i didnt play much and this seems to be halfway through the game and i also think the art style of atleast the background was much more darker
and also at the boss i remember before the fight or after the fight there was a conversation between the characters and in this video at the boss there is no conversation
ajayrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370  Edited By ajayrocks
@Piririn: i love you man.Thats the game.
nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#371  Edited By nikral
@ATTILAtheFUN: 2 of the most popular Korean dance games are Nurien and Audition.  So maybe let's start there?
Flare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372  Edited By Flare

I need your help remembering a videogame I played some years ago. It was a PC game from the early 2000's. 

I can't remember if it was a FPS or Third-person; but I like to believe it was a stealth game. Maybe it was in one of the early Splinter Cell games but I'm not sure.  

Anyway, there was a mission in this game that took place in some sort of desert, or sandy area; during the day. There were some warehouses heavily guarded, that you had to go around, sometimes you would go through them; I remember there were some watchtowers in the distance with snipers that would shoot you if they spotted you. You would you use scope yourself to get rid of them. There were some small cottages or cabins in the back of these warehouses with more guards that you had to kill in order to advance.

I vaguely remember the objective of this mission was to navigate around or through these warehouses and reach some sort of trainyard, there were a few boxcars in this area and you had to somehow engage one of them and crash it into a big warehouse door, which would then open so you could continue to the next mission. There were bad guys all around the level trying to kill you and you had to either avoid them or kill them to proceed. 

Again, maybe it was a Splinter Cell title but none of the walkthroughs I've read describe this type of level. It could've been a similar game, like Hitman, NOLF, or even Metal Gear Solid.  

Does this ring a bell? Anyone remembers playing a game that had this sort of level? 

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#373  Edited By PhatSeeJay
@Flare
  Psi-Ops? The scene you're describing sounds a lot like it, at least.
Flare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374  Edited By Flare

Hey PhatSeeJay, Psi-Ops is not the game unfortunately. I have never played that game.  The setting in that mission is darker. This one I played was more like a sunny setting.

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#376  Edited By Lemegeton

@ Flare

kind of sounds like this Delta Force Land Warrior

Flare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377  Edited By Flare

@  Lemegeton 

Sorry man, this one's not it either. I guess I mistakenly called the setting a desert; because it wasn't like this. The setting was more like a warehouse yard. 

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#378  Edited By X19
@Flare: Did you play it 3rd or 1st person? 

Also to reply to people hover your mouse to the right of their comment and click reply. That way they will get sent a PM so they know you replied to them :) 

Edit: Just realized you answered this.
nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379  Edited By nikral
nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380  Edited By nikral
Flare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382  Edited By Flare
@Nikral: Sorry man, it's not that one. I didn't play tat game either :(
h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383  Edited By h0lgr

Bike climbing game that came out for computers in the 80s/early 90s. Came out on floppy.
You were a dude and the goal was to climb a mountain with your mountain bike... Anyone?
Environment looked something like the grand canyon

DrSpaceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384  Edited By DrSpaceman

@Kelmaro said:

Back again :) i just remembered another game id like to find though it might be tougher since i remember less about this game okay so first thing is i believe this game is a jrpg (in english though) and it had a style similar to xenogears or possibly grandia (though i haven't played grandia before) and i remember in the beggining of the game you were at a village next to a beach or just ocean and you and some other characters dicided to go into the forest (or jungle) next to the village (though i dont know why they did) and you had to fight monsters in the forest and there was a big boss to though thats all i remember and that also makes me think that this game couldve bin just a demo of the game which could also mean that it wasnt the beggining of the game but more likely i think it was and the main reason i think this game is similar to xenogears and grandia is because this game had 2d characters and 2d background (i think) and the art style might have bin a bit similar to xenogears and also when walking around you didnt enter random encounters you could see the enemies and when you walk into them then the fight begins and the combat itself i cant really remember but probably was similar to final fantasy or xenogears and this was on Playstation 1

Sounds like Legend of legaia

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385  Edited By Video_Game_King
@DrSpaceman

I said that, and he told me that it wasn't it.
nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386  Edited By nikral
nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387  Edited By nikral
h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388  Edited By h0lgr
nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389  Edited By nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390  Edited By 1415926535

hi everyone, can't remember the name of an excellent game. i played it about 15 years ago, it was a car race game, in top-down perspective, tiny cars raced on the top of a table desk around pencils, papers, spilled ink etc. one of the stages was named "crayon canyon". could anyone help please :)

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#391  Edited By MysteriousBob
@1415926535 said:
hi everyone, can't remember the name of an excellent game. i played it about 15 years ago, it was a car race game, in top-down perspective, tiny cars raced on the top of a table desk around pencils, papers, spilled ink etc. one of the stages was named "crayon canyon". could anyone help please :)
I guess Micro Machines is the obvious answer.
SHAKIRALOVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392  Edited By SHAKIRALOVER

I remember this vaguely from the late 80's/early 90's. 

It was either for the Mega Drive or the Atari 130XE. You were in a purple car and I think you were a bank robber. 
The camera angle wasn't top down, or straight on. It was like a Sim City 4 style camera angle. 

Did this game exist, or am I insane?
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#393  Edited By I_smell

Hey I'm thinking of a game:

It's 3D polygonal, it's a side-scrolling shooter, and the camera perspective pans around a lot. There's often points where you have to fend off anime-missiles from behind or infront by painting targets on them.
It's not a bullet-hell shooter. It tries to do a lot of unique things with the genre, that's why I'm looking it up.

It's got an awkward name that's not a regular english word.

Defining "anime-missiles": blue sky, white lines of smoke that curve around a lot.
It'd cut away from the shoot-em-up for a sec to show this Ace-Combat-like target-painting section where you shot down missiles. It was all very fast.

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#394  Edited By greennoodles

@Dagbiker: This isn't it is it?

nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395  Edited By nikral
@SHAKIRALOVER: APB
@I_smell: Based on your description the first thing that came to mind was Rez but I doubt that is what you are thinking of. A year or system would help though. 
@greennoodles: Haha I remember that game I use to play it when I was little. Thanks for the nostalgia :P Didn't it have a colouring book or something too?
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396  Edited By I_smell
@Nikral said:

@I_smell: Based on your description the first thing that came to mind was Rez but I doubt that is what you are thinking of. A year or system would help though. 

Your ship is a blue triangle-lookin spaceship, you're definately flying through the sky, all the aesthetics are totally generic shoot-em-up. 
It's just that this game is full of tricks, and it actually is pretty similar to Rez in how it plays and how it moves.

The year would have to be late 90s to early 2000s judging from how it looks.
nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397  Edited By nikral
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398  Edited By I_smell
@Nikral: Ether Vapor is it! It looks more old-school than I was thinking in how it transitions to stuff, but this is still what I'm looking for.

In looking for this I found Einhander, which also does some interesting stuff.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#399  Edited By Karl_Boss

Alright I need some help finding a game I use to play a lot as a kid....this game was released sometime in the 90s I believe and it could be for a number of different systems but most likely either the Sega Genesis, SNES, 32X, Sega CD, or Playstation because those were the systems I played on the most.....this game was a very strange side-scrolling platforming game, I know that one of the bosses in the game was a boot of some sort and he has hard as hell cause I would very rarely beat him as a kid....their were also minigames that you could play, either they were bonus stages after completing a level or they could be accessed by machines within the level I'm not sure which....one of these minigames was you were some bug of sort and you had to try to take slices of pizza while your mom (whose sitting next to you) was looking away, if she caught you taking a slice she would smack you and the minigame would end.....thats all the information I can give hope you guys can help because this has been bugging the hell out of me for a long time.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Unknown_Pleasures

Didn't you already post that? I think it's in the spoilers on the front page, which I guess people read (Law One of the Internet: You either read the very first post or the very last post of anything. Never the middle.).