#1 Edited by crusader8463 (14755 posts) -

2011 is going to be a great year for games. PC games in particular. Unfortunately though, next to no one in the media seems to be giving any attention to a metric crap ton of very interesting games, and that's a dam travesty.  

So I got the idea into my head to start this thread and have everyone use this as a platform to try and spread the word of some of their favourite games no one is talking about. Instead of seeing the millionth stupid trailer for L.A Noire, Battlefield 3, Generic shooter #2563567457 or whatever big name game sites never shut the fuck up about, lets show some love for the other guys.  

I'll start.  

EDIT:Don't just post the name of the game. You are trying to get people excited for the game and spread word of it. Just saying the name of the games do jack shit. Post a trailer or at least a little description about why you think it's going to be good and why people need to start looking at it.

Sword of the Stars 2 

Releasing September 2nd, 2011.
"Sword of the Stars 2" is an amazing looking 4X space game that should be coming out later this year. In the game you will pick one of six races, and set out to control the galaxy through diplomacy, subterfuge and inevitable war. 

The Sims Medieval

March 27th, 2011.
I know, I know! A Sims game, made by EA in a list of games no one is talking about? Really? Well yes really, because for some reason no one is talking about this game and it's coming out in about a month. 

Apparently people got it in their heads that this is just the Sims 3 with a medieval skins, but it's much much more then that. They use the Sims "Create a Sim" to design all of the characters, but other then that, and everyone talking simlish, that's about all there is in common with the Sim games.  

In this game you are building a castle, a town and it's inhabitants to tell a story. You choose to build buildings that unlock new characters that you then design and use to play out stories in the kingdom all while balancing other things like how the kingdom interacts with other kingdoms, managing the city and a bunch of other things I'm too lazy to type out.     

Take a look at the trailer below to get a better feel. This is one that came out more recently that better explains what the game is about then the first one that they did.    

#2 Posted by Animasta (14824 posts) -

Ghost Trick!

#3 Posted by GunstarRed (5884 posts) -
@Laketown said:
"Ghost Trick! "
#4 Posted by Azteck (7416 posts) -

Mass Effect 3. 

I mean what?

#5 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5885 posts) -
@marioncobretti said:
" @Laketown said:
"Ghost Trick! "
"
#6 Posted by Klei (1799 posts) -

The Witcher 2? 

#7 Posted by SlightConfuse (3995 posts) -

radiant historia

#8 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19824 posts) -

X-COM.

#9 Posted by Illmatic (1380 posts) -

The Sims Medieval game actually looks really cool. I honestly did think it was the Sims 3 with a medieval skin before watching that. Not that that's a bad thing as I loved the Sims 3 but a reskin wasn't really gonna get me excited. But I'm actually really interested in this now.

#10 Posted by crusader8463 (14755 posts) -
@Klei said:
" The Witcher 2?  "
Really? It seems like I can't go two threads without seeing a dozen people commenting on the game myself. Though admittedly I have not seen many sites talking about it.
#11 Posted by crusader8463 (14755 posts) -
@Illmatic said:
" The Sims Medieval game actually looks really cool. I honestly did think it was the Sims 3 with a medieval skin before watching that. Not that that's a bad thing as I loved the Sims 3 but a reskin wasn't really gonna get me excited. But I'm actually really interested in this now. "
Then my job is done! lol 

What sold me on the game was watching this 3 part video they did a long while back. This game instantly went from zero interest to must buy for me after watching it. It's about 20-30 min in total, but really worth it imho.   

#12 Posted by GetEveryone (4531 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" X-COM. "
This. X-COM looks crazy, but I've barely heard a peep about it from anyone.
#13 Posted by BeachThunder (13305 posts) -
#14 Posted by Animasta (14824 posts) -
@slightconfuse said:
" radiant historia "
THIS AS WELL! so good
#15 Posted by DoctorTran (1584 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever! Wait, I don't even...

#16 Posted by Jimbo (10268 posts) -

Men of War: Vietnam, Kingdom Under Fire 2 (maybe?), Shogun 2 in about 2 weeks.  Definitely still interested in XCOM.

I think the niche games are probably gonna be ok even without the attention of the press, but it's gonna be a bloodbath for 'AAA' titles this year.  There's no way there's enough press attention or mainstream dollars to go around for the games we already know are coming out this year, let alone when you throw a CoD and Assassin's Creed in the mix.  It's brilliant that there's so much competition this year, but it's totally going to end in scraped knees and tears before bedtime.

#17 Posted by mutha3 (5025 posts) -
@slightconfuse said:
" radiant historia "
this x1000
#18 Posted by Atlas (2567 posts) -

Shogun 2: Total War. I have never played a Total War game before but I played the demo and it looks sick as hell. Not getting a lot of buzz though.

#19 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8020 posts) -

Wrong forum

#20 Posted by SuperSambo (3037 posts) -

Homefront.

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

Tactics Ogre, judging by the GameTrailers review.

#22 Posted by Sarkhan (1249 posts) -

Phantasy star 1
#23 Posted by ColinWright (753 posts) -

NHL 12
#24 Posted by armaan8014 (5864 posts) -
@crusader8463: So im not the only one excited about the sims medieval!
#25 Posted by Hizang (9359 posts) -

Kirbys Epic Yarn (UK)
#26 Posted by Icemael (6798 posts) -

Shadows of the Damned, Tales of Graces f, Arcana Heart 3, Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets, Anarchy Reigns.

#27 Posted by Lucifer (277 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" Shadows of the Damned, "
I know right? Supposedly it's getting released this june, and we've gotten like what? One trailer? Looks really awesome.
#28 Posted by RelentlessKnight (1131 posts) -

spec ops and stalker 2

#29 Posted by GreggD (4587 posts) -
@Icemael said:
"Shadows of the Damned, Anarchy Reigns. "

Two solid picks.
#30 Posted by ThatFrood (3460 posts) -
#31 Posted by Nictel (2662 posts) -
#32 Edited by takua108 (1580 posts) -
DoomRL a.k.a. Doom the Roguelike. It's everything you love about Doom combined with everything you love (and hate) about NetHack, etc. It didn't come out this year (yet, as it's still in beta), but a pretty substantial update was just released, and I can't stop playing it. 

If this sort of thing doesn't excite you, than I just don't know what to say

This guy got further than I usually get
And, because I'm playing this game right now and I want more people to know about it, how about I just livestream me playing it, for the hell of it (EDIT: Offline for now)
#33 Edited by Butano (1864 posts) -
#34 Posted by crusader8463 (14755 posts) -
@takua108: Where are the guns and big splody things? You said you were playing a video game! Why you lie!?!?
#35 Posted by takua108 (1580 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" @takua108: Where are the guns and big splody things? You said you were playing a video game! Why you lie!?!? "
Here's a gun: } 
Here's a fairly splody barrel: 0 
I don't know what else you want in a video game :V
#36 Posted by Timing (634 posts) -

No one mentioned these yet? For shame.

Paper Mario 3DS

Rayman Origins
#37 Posted by ribeye (479 posts) -
@crusader8463: thanks for posting that sims 3 medival vid, i had no idea it was even story driven, i'm probably gonna get that game now  =)
#38 Posted by ribeye (479 posts) -
@RelentlessKnight said:
"....and stalker 2 "
what
#39 Edited by Yummylee (23501 posts) -

Resistance 3?... I mean on a community level, it feels like I'm the only one here left having to store all the hype for myself T_T

#40 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3481 posts) -

Max Payne3

If it is coming out this year, that is.

#41 Edited by Underachiever007 (2471 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said: 

" X-COM. "

This. Along with Shadows of the Damned, Anarchy Reigns, Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets, and Radiant Historia.
#42 Posted by Centimani (563 posts) -

I feel like I'm the only one excited for Journey. Press X to take the midnight train going anywhere!

#43 Posted by ribeye (479 posts) -
#44 Edited by JJWeatherman (14801 posts) -
@Atlas said:

" Shogun 2: Total War. I have never played a Total War game before but I played the demo and it looks sick as hell. Not getting a lot of buzz though. "

I was looking at that game in Steam and I just thought, oh hey, it's like the Total War games. Then I read the title closer and said "Oh, It IS a Total War game!". I've never played one before, but I've always thought they looked like awesome games. If only I had a better PC, I'd probably buy Shogun 2. Looks pretty amazing.
#45 Posted by crusader8463 (14755 posts) -
@ribeye: Ya, EA has done a rather piss poor job of getting across just what that game is, but it's kind of understandable. You can't really define a genre for that game. It's part Sim, part RPG, part adventure game, part puzzle game, part city management, part open world game.  

It's crazy amazing and I really hope it sells well, because this is certainly EA going out on a limb here with this game. As gamers we are constantly saying we want new things, and that's what EA is doing here. So if this doesn't sell well, and I'm afraid that it might given how little they are promoting it, it's one step closer to EA turning back on it's old way of doing business. The Way Activision does things now.
#46 Posted by crusader8463 (14755 posts) -
@ribeye: Oh yes Rock of Ages looks like it could be some great fun. I forgot it completely!  

I wish a big site like Giant Bomb did a weekly feature called "Reminders", or something, where they just take a few paragraphs and spread the word of some games besides the big AAA generic shooter of the month. There are so many great games that just get zero attention.
#47 Posted by Hero_Swe (1264 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
"

@ribeye: Oh yes Rock of Ages looks like it could be some great fun. I forgot it completely!   I wish a big site like Giant Bomb did a weekly feature called "Reminders", or something, where they just take a few paragraphs and spread the word of some games besides the big AAA generic shooter of the month. There are so many great games that just get zero attention.

"

Yes! Finally, I've found someone else excited for SOTS 2. Man I am so hyped for that game. I played the FUCK out of the first one. Can't wait to play a bigger version of it.

(Tried quoting the first post but that messed it up badly :P)
#48 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19303 posts) -
@crusader8463:  thanks for this thread. adding all these hidden gems you and others posted to the 2011 Releases List 

@Jimbo said:

"  it's gonna be a bloodbath for 'AAA' titles this year.  There's no way there's enough press attention or mainstream dollars to go around for the games we already know are coming out this year, let alone when you throw a CoD and Assassin's Creed in the mix.  It's brilliant that there's so much competition this year, but it's totally going to end in scraped knees and tears before bedtime. "

that sounded so.. deliciously vicious !! 

@Tru3_Blu3 said: 

" Max Payne3 

If it is coming out this year, that is. "

Rockstar Games release one game a year.. 
RDR got 2010, L.A. Noire has 2011, Agent has 2012 

no max payne til 2013 :(    
#49 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5885 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" Tactics Ogre, judging by the GameTrailers review. "
I just bought this.

What's up with the bonus stuff by the way? What the hell am I supposed to do with those tarot cards?
#50 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan: 

Send them to me.