The Most Important Games of Each Gen

shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By shulinchung

If you are asked to pick one most important game for every console generation, what games will you pick?
By saying most important, I mean a game that you think is the most influential game in game design, graphic technology, defining genre, paving the way for future delevopers, or anything else games share whith other forms of art that makes an artwork a milestone in art history.
And please include the information of which generation was your starting point in gaming or which generation turned you serious in gaming. Thanks

My first console is NES, but technically, I became seriousely involved with gaming in the 5th gen.
Below is my list:

1st gen: Pong
Altough I was too young to be fortunate enough to participate in the 1st generation, everyone I know who participated told me Pong without thinking.

2nd gen: I didn't participate. I am not qualified to nominate one.

3rd generation: Super Mario Bros.
Because most of the game designers today that I've read or heard seems to claim that they were influenced by it.

4th gen: I didn't participate in  the 4th-gen due to heavy schoolwork/ tests. So I don't know.

5th gen: FF7
Damn, too many games for one room. Because I live in Asia, In my point of view, I pick FF7 over all other important games, such as Super Mario 64 and Zelda on N64, and MGS on PS. FF7 was phenomenal in Asia. Most of the gamers around my age in Asia start their gaming life from FF7. JRPG became extremely popular after it.

6th gen: Halo
There are again so many classics in this gen, but in terms of influence, I think it's a choice between RE4 and Halo. I choose Halo because I think almost all of the FPS/TPS on console have been heavily influenced by this game. Even games that are influenced by RE4 need to take some elements from Halo.

7th gen: Gears of War (may change in the future, since the 7th gen hasn't been over)
Gears-of-war-like cover mechanism is the most frequently used term in video game review from my experience. So frequent that you don't even need to say gears-of-war-like anymore. Although Gears isn't the first game that invented this cover mechanism, It is truely the most influential one since it made this mechanism so popular.

What about you guys? What are your picks?

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Mushir

I would either pick Mario 64 or OOT in the 5th, and in 7th I may choose COD4 because of the perks system but Gears is a good choice.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By EvilDingo

Kind a wonder about your generation-definitions. Particularly your post about the 3rd.

I pretty sure Super Mario was a 8bit NES game and SF2 was a 16bit SNES game... Which further confuses me about what you define as 4th gen if that's not SNES/Megadrive.

I kind of hope this generation has bigger things to offer than cover-mechanics :-)
shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shulinchung

You are right. SF2 should be in the 4th-gen. My mistake.
I think it's because I didn't own a 4th-gen console as mentioned,  I thought it was a 3rd-gen game. Because I was still playing my NES in the 4th-gen era. And SF2 was so phenomenal that even a kid like me who were not allowed to buy a new console somehow played the game. XD
Sorry for the mistake. I'll edit it out.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Mushir

7th gen might be Wii Sports ;)

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Johnny5

When I think of industry changing. Doom 3 and Resident Evil 4, both had a significant impact in both setting a standard and innovating on what was already established.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By PureRok
Johnny5 said:
"When I think of industry changing. Doom 3 and Resident Evil 4, both had a significant impact in both setting a standard and innovating on what was already established."
Doom 3, really? What impact did it have, if any?
EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EvilDingo
PureRok said:
"Johnny5 said:
"When I think of industry changing. Doom 3 and Resident Evil 4, both had a significant impact in both setting a standard and innovating on what was already established."
Doom 3, really? What impact did it have, if any?"
Sublime monster-closet-technology perhaps :-)
... But he might ACTUALLY be referring to the engine or something.

I don't personally think that game ware very impactful either.
I think I agree with thread creator about Halo being that generations most important game.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By get2sammyb
Twilight said:
"7th gen might be Wii Sports ;)"
I totally agree. I might not be too happy about it. But yes, I think you might end up being right.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By BoG

Of the generations I've been a part of, the only game I agree with you on is Halo, but I'm not 100% sure on that, either. Half-Life was a much better FPS and it came first. Grand Theft Auto 3 may be a better choice.

As for your choice of Final Fantasy VII, I'd definitely put Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, or Metal Gear Solid there before FFVII.
EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EvilDingo
BoG said:
"Of the generations I've been a part of, the only game I agree with you on is Halo, but I'm not 100% sure on that, either. Half-Life was a much better FPS and it came first. Grand Theft Auto 3 may be a better choice.
As for your choice of Final Fantasy VII, I'd definitely put Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, or Metal Gear Solid there before FFVII.
"
Damn... You beat me to it :-)
I am just in the middle of playing Mercenaries 2 and having just participated in this topic it struck me:
"wait, GTA3 is probably more influential than Halo as far as last generation games go"
So took a brief break from the game to post this.

As far as Halo vs Half-Life goes - The reason I agreed with Halo being important (and probably why other people mention it) is more a question about it being the fps with a control-scheme that worked on console. Every other console fps have pretty much adopted these controls.

I'm not sure how PC-gaming actually fits into the generation-definition - wouldn't Half-Life fall into the same generation (as far as time-period goes) as the PS1 and N64?
Wasn't Dreamcast pretty much the first 6th generation console - and that was in 1999.

But no doubt that Half-Life was influential... But I agree that GTA3 probably is the most influential as far as last generation goes.

I also have a hard time seeing FF7 as all THAT important - I was mostly a PC gamer at that time though, so don't really have a suggestion of my own... Half-Life perhaps ;-)
shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shulinchung

I thought of HL, but since I made the thread based on console generations not PC, so I decided to choose Halo without mentioning HL. I think HL caused much more impact when it was first appeared on PC, especial in terms of FPS story telling. Actually, I think doom, quake, and HL are three important milestone for PC gaming. They are all genre-defining games in their own era. Each marks a major leap in FPS design.

As for FF7, I could totally see what others would reponse. ^_^
Is that called "agree to disagree" in English? @_@
That's why I mentioned where I live to exlpain why I made the choice. I didn't think of GodendEye being so important, but when I was making this thread, I guessed Super Mario 64, Zelda: OOT, and Metal Gear Solid are all more influential than FF7 to western audience and developers. I even think they are better games. However, they simply couldn't make enough sale to be influential in Asia. A down side of capitalism. :(
And part of my reason of making this thread is to see a western point of view. :)

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Red

3rd: Super Mario Bros, duh

4th: Chrono Trigger
5th: Metal Gear Solid/Pokemon Red/Ocarina of Time
6th: Shadow of the Colossus/Resident Evil 4
7th: Mass Effect

Your opinion's all out of whack, though. It's kinda like the point of view from an alien that only read about games without playing them.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PureRok
BoG said:
"Of the generations I've been a part of, the only game I agree with you on is Halo, but I'm not 100% sure on that, either. Half-Life was a much better FPS and it came first. Grand Theft Auto 3 may be a better choice.
"
To be fair, Goldeneye didn't do anything more special than FF7.

The most "important" game, as much as I hate to say it (even though it comes from my favorite series, I just think it's grossly overrated), Ocarina of Time is probably the one you're looking for. It was the first game to show developers how a Third Person Action Adventure should be made, and it was the advent of the lock-on mechanism that is quite a bit more prevalent today.

Super Mario 64, on the other hand, while being a decent update of the Mario franchise, it didn't really innovate. The controls were sloppy, it had bad pacing, and sometimes-frustrating game play. Goldeneye, while being a good console FPS at the time, is, for the most part, forgettable. The only other game that used any of it's mechanics was Perfect Dark, a game made by the same company on the same engine.

Now, Final Fantasy VII, while an okay game, did absolutely nothing new. Sure, it used FMV cleverly to mask load times, but that's about it. Pre-rendered environments were what all JRPGs used at the time, so there wasn't anything special there. The story was inferior to Final Fantasy VI (personally), and it had no new game mechanics (Materia was just a dumbed down form of Esper that you could equip on weapons/armor).

So... I guess I'd say Ocarina of Time was probably the more important of those games, but that doesn't mean that game doesn't have it's own flaws.
Hausdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Hausdog

I'm sorry, did you just say SM64 didn't innovate? It was the first collectathon (almost wrote collectathong, which would probably appeal to you guys a bit more) game and probably the first 3-D platformer. Where would the Banjo series be without SM64? Or Jak? Or Sly Cooper? Or Spyro? You can call it a bad game if you want, but to deny its monumental impact on the industry is ridiculous.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By penguindust

As someone who gamed through the 2nd Generation, my choice would be Adventure for the 2600.  Adventure was an original IP which became very popular.  It also had what might be considered the first Easter egg. Up until Adventure, most of the popular titles sold were recreations of coin-op favorites like Space Invaders, Missile Command and Asteroids.  Some sources consider Adventure the first action-adventure title paving the way for the Zeldas and Tomb Raiders that followed years later.

An alternate choice to Adventure might be Activision's Pitfall.  The importance of Pitfall I believe has more to do with establishing 3rd party development houses as viable sources for new successful games rather than as whatever the game itself brought to the art of game design.