The most played game on Giant Bomb

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

What is it? I was looking through some achievements and you know how it says how many people have played the game, (well, those who have signed up for their achievements) and Halo 3 is leading, from what I can tell from looking through mine. After that it's Mass Effect, which I'm really freaking glad about. They both managed to beat out CoD4 and MW2. :P 

It also would be interesting to see the least played game.  

EDIT: Between 360 games.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By demontium
@xyzygy: Since I KNOW it is not a Wii game (judging by giantbomb's community)... its wow.
 WoW is the biggest game yesterday.
 WoW is the biggest game yesterday.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Branthog

I think perhaps you need to offer a bit more exlanation. The site shows the most played games right on the front of the site (and it continues to be -- fucking amazingly enough -- World of Warcraft). I tend to avoid looking at that list, because that's depressing as a mother fucker.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By themartyr

Interesting how much it drops off after the first two.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By asurastrike

It's really too bad PS3 games can't be tracked. It would be interesting to see how they stack up.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@Asurastrike said:
" It's really too bad PS3 games can't be tracked. It would be interesting to see how they stack up. "
Yeah for sure! 

I would not have actually thought it would have been WoW, as I've never  played it myself so i wouldn't know how good it would be.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Hamz

Considering World of Warcraft is the single most successful video game in the history of the industry I am not at all surprised to see it at the top of the list each day, everyday!

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Cerza

Currently it's Modern Warfare 2, but usually is WoW.

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crystalskull2

I am getting tired of seeing WoW every day.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jimbo

The WoW numbers are both amazing and depressing in equal measure.  You can point at it and say "So PC gaming is dying is it lolol?!?", but you can also point at it and say "How many awesome PC exclusives are we missing out on because half of the consumer base has been playing the same goddamn game for the last 5 goddamn years?".  Naturally, I will use whichever argument suits me at any given time.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By penguindust
WoW was fun.  I used to play it all the time.  But, it can also be very tedious which is why I quit.  Much like life, it consists of long periods of monotony intertwined with moments of joy.  I'm not surprised that it is number one.  I enjoyed it, I had my fill, time to move on.  I'll worry about my own gaming habits, and not what others are playing or missing out on.  Chances are I'll never read "War and Peace".  Are you going to lose any sleep over it?
Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ApertureSilence

I was on a month-long WoW trial once, and I could never understand the appeal of the game.

Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Magresda
@MurderByDeath said:
" I was on a month-long WoW trial once, and I could never understand the appeal of the game. "
Probably because the trial limits you to 20 short levels and takes away a bucketload of functionality.  

The reason WoW is on top is quite simple: It's an addictive game that you can play 30 minutes a day and still progress in. Hell, I thought I was done with WoW 2 years ago but every time a new patch comes out I jump back in for a couple of weeks. This latest patch made it incredibly easy to get groups, removing what most gamers dislike about WoW or MMO's in general - sitting in a town writing "LFG" for an hour before actually getting to play the game. Now I can jump right in, do a quick 20 minute dungeon and leave with minimal stress and maximum reward. In addition, a lot of people log on just to chat with their friends, manage their auctions, etc etc. That will register as one "play" here on GB, even though they barely touched it. Plus, it's just the best MMO out there. If you find that "depressing" you've got your own issues to worry about. 
Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ApertureSilence
@Magresda said:

" @MurderByDeath said:

" I was on a month-long WoW trial once, and I could never understand the appeal of the game. "
Probably because the trial limits you to 20 short levels and takes away a bucketload of functionality.
Well, if Blizzard wanted me to get hooked on their game, they shouldn't have borked the trial the way they did.

All I remember about it is just killing bandits and goblins for hours, collecting bandannas and ears. Not exactly riveting gameplay.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy

Ah well Yeah I guess WoW could be the most played, but that chart is from the "Yesterday's Most played" thing on the front. I'm talking about when you go into your achievements and see a game, and it shows how many people have played that game in total. Basically, like how many people on the site who have shared their achievements played, say, Halo 3 on their profile. So I guess it's just between 360 games, because PSN Trophies don't count here and WoW is bound to always have a lot.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Mushir

Actually Rock Band is on that list mostly everyday. Really awesome for a game that's like 2-3 years old now.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#17  Edited By Soap

It's Wow, just like it was yesterday, and the day before, and the day before, and the day before....... e.t.c

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy

360 games, people.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By demonbear

Its really funny when you think that WoW, on these boards, is treated pretty badly but still, its the most played game by a majority of users. 

then again i guess the WoW players are talking about wow..... on the wow board.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Daryl
@MurderByDeath: MMO and riveting gameplay? 
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Jeust

If wii, ps2, and ds games could be on that board too, then it really would be a interesting read.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Snail
@demontium: That list does not include PS3 gamers, so you should pretty much double the players for Modern Warfare 2. 

It is Modern Warfare 2.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Snail
@demontium: That list does not include PS3 gamers, so you should pretty much double the players for Modern Warfare 2. 

It is Modern Warfare 2.

AdH0c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AdH0c

Acutally the real list would be a little different if it could count the other consoles and combine for each multiplatform game. I am pretty sure that where it says XBOX Live it also includes "Games for Windows" on PC as well as they go in the XBOX Live achievements (they have mentioned this on the podcast I think). Certain games such as Dragon Age will not show up on PC as their Achievements are independent and not part of Windows Live or Steam. I think the real list would have Modern Warfare at the top with WOW then... well I think AS2/Borderlands and Dragon Age would be swapping for 3rd place day to day.

phatcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By phatcat

So we are all shut-in nerds or bill swilling 'bros'.

phatcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By phatcat

So we are all shut-in nerds or bill swilling 'bros'.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By MKHavoc

Just from looking at my list it seems like Halo 3 has the most with the original Gears of War behind which has about 800 less players.  It's still possible that there's something between them, but I doubt there's any game above Halo 3.  It even beat out GTA IV and Hexic, the game that comes free with every 360 and has about 16000 players.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Whisperkill

He's talking about the most people played, not in a single day

Its Halo 3 I think

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Whisperkill

He's talking about the most people played, not in a single day

Its Halo 3 I think

Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Magresda
@MurderByDeath said:
" @Magresda said:

" @MurderByDeath said:

Well, if Blizzard wanted me to get hooked on their game, they shouldn't have borked the trial the way they did.  All I remember about it is just killing bandits and goblins for hours, collecting bandannas and ears. Not exactly riveting gameplay. "
That may be, but it doesn't speak to the quality of the full game. I'm not trying to convince you to like it, but suffice to say there's a reason 12 million people play it. 3 years ago it was extremely grindy and you had to invest a ton of time, but nowadays it's so much more than "collecting bandannas and ears."
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Asurastrike said:
" It's really too bad PS3 games can't be tracked. It would be interesting to see how they stack up. "
It would be like this...WoW, MW2, Uncharted 2...