The Ten Year Console Life Cycle...

heartlessomen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By heartlessomen

I got to thinking this morning about what primarily Sony has been touting about 10 year life cycles and their consoles. While I have nothing against it, I suddenly realized something. One of the main reasons that I am a console gamer is because it's (relatively) inexpensive, all i need is the console and a t.v. and i can play a game. Granted most of us that consider ourselves "hardcore" gamers need to have an HDTV and surround sound...and some of us might even go a little further and get "gaming" chairs or mini-fridges (so beer can be cold and quick). But what it comes down to, at least for myself, is convenience and, more importantly, money. By being a console gamer I only have to spend a large amount of money once, for the console. This one time expenditure then grants me all the latest games, and assuming i have even a measly 19" LCD HDTV capable of displaying 720p, then I can see nice crisp visuals, it's everything one needs to really enjoy gaming today.

However, if I were a PC gamer the expenditures would be a little different. I would need a high-end PC in order to play most games to their fullest extent, and if i wanted to keep playing those games I would need to upgrade some various pieces and parts of my PC's equipment every 6 months-a year, in order to stay on top of things. Now I'm not trying to incite riots from any PC gamers here, I enjoy PC games, I really do, I've just become more of a console gamer as the years have passed. But I'm straying from my topic.

My point here is that, if the current consoles (Sony isn't the only one that is supposedly thinking 10 year life cycles now) last for ten years, which would have them being phased out by around 2015ish, then what does that mean for our games? I know some developers are claiming they've already gotten all they could out of the 360 while others claim they've pushed the PS3 to its max, and most developers still arn't even attempting to use the Wii to its potential. If the current gen of consoles has another 6 years of life, then will that cause the industry to stagnate because of a lack of hardware innovation and improvement? Or will we see a replication of the Apple market? Will things like project Natal, PS3 Slim, the DSi etc. become more of the accepted norm.? If that becomes the case, will consumers actually be willing to (especially in times of economic downturn) shell out the cash for their Xbox 540's and PS3 v.2's? Will a more PC like environment be something that the average gamer is willing to accept, with each company Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, requiring full hardware upgrades in order to play the newest games?

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Daryl

All this talk about the end of this console generation annoys me. I feel like I've only started to really get used to it and people are already moving on.

BlameTheGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BlameTheGame

I honestly hate how games are changing and how people are always going "PS4 is coming". We don't need anymore consoles, really. They should stick with add-ons. But take a look at what sony is doing with the psp and everything. Downloadable games, that's a good start into spending less money. They confirmed prices would be cheaper since you aren't going around buying the cases as well. I don't know, my opinion. Sorry if I don't make sense.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By flaminghobo
@Daryl said:
" All this talk about the end of this console generation annoys me. I feel like I've only started to really get used to it and people are already moving on. "
People are always looking for the next big thing, I'm pretty happy with my Xbox 360 for now though. I don't really get spending £300 on an entertainment system and then MS bring out an ever better one in the next 2-4 years. Having a 10 year cycle does seem a bit long though, an 8 year cycle would be just about right for me.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Akeldama

we are just now entering the "golden age" of the PS3. It is just gonna get better from here and this years exclusive line up proves it. 

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#6  Edited By Valkyr

At some point a PC game will raise the bar and a lot of hardcore gamers that are now playing console games are going to return to the source, Steam and Windows Live will continue to evolve and there are some awesome time deals, now you can get a 6 month old pc game for perhaps half the price using a free online service, of course, PC hardware ages and you will have to upgrade at some point, but this awesome digital game prices + mouse/keyboard + better graphics than consoles + free online service,  sounds really good.
I don't think this gen will last ten years, the 360 and the ps3 WILL be sold for more than ten but there are going to be a PS4 or a Xbox 720 (?) at some point, I also think the ps2 is going to last 5 more years at least in some markets and will disappear eventually with the introduction of a full ps2 backward compatibility firmware update, you can run a ps2 emulator in an old cheap pc and the ps3 has far more power than the needed to do it well 100% by software.
About a ps3 v.2 or xbox "540", the home console market is not big enough to force the customer to upgrade, we now have the DSi and the PSP GO but that market is very different, the target is people that like gadgets and they always want something better, that's why there is people that have upgraded their iphone 6 times .

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By agentboolen
heartlessomen the 10 year console life cycle is just a selling ploy. All they mean is there going to support the system for 10 years and around the 5 year mark they will bring out a new more powerful system.  Its a way to sell it to the cheap gamer that doesn't want to upgrade from there last system.  All I know was around the 4 year mark I started getting tired of the PS2's graphic limitation.  It was nice to upgrade to a xbox 360 and I'm sure a few years from now it will be nice to upgrade to what ever else is out there.  They just know that there is a certain group that is not willing to pay top price for there system the day it comes out and this is a way to make it a investment for them.  Even the NES lasted long after the Super NES was out. The question is do die hard gamers really care about about 10 year life cycles?
Kazu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Kazu666

I like the idea of 10 years, makes it seem like its worth the money really. What bugs me is the mindset that console gamers have in that they think graphics constantly need to be improving. Killzone 2 looks fantastic, as does Uncharted 2, i could play games with them graphics for the next 5 years with no problems at all. 

Developers saying they have gotten the best out of the possible hardware shouldn't be a bad thing, it should mean that all games they release from then on will be of a very high standard. Gamers just need to realise that graphics aren't everything, and with the quality we are getting these days, how can you complain?
grawly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By grawly

Unless they've got some genius innovation up their sleeve like controlling the game with your mind I hope we don't see the next generation of consoles for a while. Why would we need it? The graphics in games are as good as they will ever need to be.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By trophyhunter

if either Sony or Microsoft come out with something new in the next 4 years it will be the biggest mistake they could ever make

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Death_Unicorn
@Akeldama said:
" we are just now entering the "golden age" of the PS3. It is just gonna get better from here and this years exclusive line up proves it.  "
People have been saying this year after year, please, no doubt the PS3 has some kick ass games this year, but so does every other single console. Does this mean they are entering their golden age?

However, I'm fine with the current generation, and there is no need to change, unless there is something mind blowing around the corner.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Akeldama
@Death_Unicorn said:
" @Akeldama said:
" we are just now entering the "golden age" of the PS3. It is just gonna get better from here and this years exclusive line up proves it.  "
People have been saying this year after year, please, no doubt the PS3 has some kick ass games this year, but so does every other single console. Does this mean they are entering their golden age?"
not to troll or anything, but i was close to buying a 360 until i realized it has nothing coming to it. Every game coming to the 360 is coming to the PS3 with the exception of Alan Wake (for now) and the halo games. The PS3 has Uncharted, GOW3, Heavy Rain, the new Ratchet game, MAG, MNR, Fat princess, GT 5, The Agent, The Agency, and a slew of others. What does the 360 have that can even begin to compete with such a solid line up?
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Akeldama said:
" @Death_Unicorn said:
" @Akeldama said:
People have been saying this year after year, please, no doubt the PS3 has some kick ass games this year, but so does every other single console. Does this mean they are entering their golden age?"
not to troll or anything, but i was close to buying a 360 until i realized it has nothing coming to it. Every game coming to the 360 is coming to the PS3 with the exception of Alan Wake (for now) and the halo games. The PS3 has Uncharted, GOW3, Heavy Rain, the new Ratchet game, MAG, MNR, Fat princess, GT 5, The Agent, The Agency, and a slew of others. What does the 360 have that can even begin to compete with such a solid line up?
"
Answer: It has the ton of other exclusive games you've already missed/never played already.  I still haven't seen the PS3 come out with a game worthy of my attention.  Last I checked, the PS3 is still in last place. Also, your argument is the same tired argument used by Cows all of last year...talking about how great their exclusives are & it changed nothing.  You might as well be talking to a wall to convince somebody to get a PS3 at this point.

@heartlessomen said:
" a little further and get "gaming" chairs or mini-fridges (so beer can be cold and quick). But what it comes down to, at least for myself, is convenience and, more importantly, money. By being a console gamer I only have to spend a large amount of money once, for the console. This one time expenditure then grants me all the latest games, and assuming i have even a measly 19" LCD HDTV capable of displaying 720p, then I can see nice crisp visuals, it's everything one needs to really enjoy gaming today. However, if I were a PC gamer the expenditures would be a little different. I would need a high-end PC in order to play most games to their fullest extent, and if i wanted to keep playing those games I would need to upgrade some various pieces and parts of my PC's equipment every 6 months-a year, in order to stay on top of things. Now I'm not trying to incite riots from any PC gamers here, I enjoy PC games, I really do, I've just become more of a console gamer as the years have passed. But I'm straying from my topic.My point here is that, if the current consoles (Sony isn't the only one that is supposedly thinking 10 year life cycles now) last for ten years, which would have them being phased out by around 2015ish, then what does that mean for our games? I know some developers are claiming they've already gotten all they could out of the 360 while others claim they've pushed the PS3 to its max, and most developers still arn't even attempting to use the Wii to its potential. If the current gen of consoles has another 6 years of life, then will that cause the industry to stagnate because of a lack of hardware innovation and improvement? Or will we see a replication of the Apple market? Will things like project Natal, PS3 Slim, the DSi etc. become more of the accepted norm.? If that becomes the case, will consumers actually be willing to (especially in times of economic downturn) shell out the cash for their Xbox 540's and PS3 v.2's? Will a more PC like environment be something that the average gamer is willing to accept, with each company Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, requiring full hardware upgrades in order to play the newest games? "
You drink beer when you play games?  Eww.

Also, this whole thing about Surround & better TVs can be used for other things besides playing video games. Hence you're still getting something out of them when you're ready to put down the controller & veg for a bit.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By keyhunter
@Akeldama: You have to remember that for every exclusive coming out for the PS3 this year, the 360 has 3 exclusives from last year to match their one. So really the 360's still ahead technically. Why would I play that new PS3 shit when I've got a back catalogue of several hundred games I'll never have time to play?

Anyways, I think this generation has run its course. Graphics aren't going to get much better than like..Condemned 2. I use that as an example of how much gaming has improved since the launch of the console since Condemned 1 looks like shit in comparison. The only real step up I see coming this generation is ID tech 5 or whatever ID is doing right now.
Gameplay is important and everything, but really..What hasn't been done? No matter what way you look at it, every shooter is basically going to be COD 4, or a Gears of war clone. So great. I'm really looking forward to playing those games again. But if I'm going to play those games again, it might as well be on a new peice of hardware, with 3 times the graphics capabilities. At least then there's the novelty of good graphics until the 2nd or 3rd year of the new consoles life when everyone figures out new game mechanics.
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By Hamst3r
@BlameTheGame said:
" I honestly hate how games are changing "
:O what?

@heartlessomen said:
"By being a console gamer I only have to spend a large amount of money once, for the console. ... displaying 720p, then I can see nice crisp visuals, it's everything one needs to really enjoy gaming today. However, if I were a PC gamer the expenditures would be a little different. I would need a high-end PC in order to play most games to their fullest extent, and if i wanted to keep playing those games I would need to upgrade some various pieces and parts of my PC's equipment every 6 months-a year"
Dude. If all you want is 720p visuals, then you don't have to upgrade your PC that often. You can enjoy the games at the same quality as the consoles. The option is available if you want it, but upgrading and having the best is not a requirement of PC gaming.

To which you're probably asking, "Then why bother with PC gaming?" - it has plenty of other benefits. I'm not going to get into it all, since with a little imagination I'm sure you can think of all of them. But really, it all just comes down to what you care about in your gaming experience. For me, the only way to get what I want out of gaming is with a PC. For you it's with a console.

To avoid PC gaming because you have to "buy new equipment every 6 months to a year" though is lunacy, as it's an utterly false statement. :)
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By baconbits33
@Lind_L_Taylor: Obviously you've never played a game drunk, trust me it makes it makes the experience even better.

Now with the whole graphics comment is that graphics are very important to most gamers, being that most sequels are shit without better graphics than their predecessors. Like with Modern Warfare 2: The graphics aren't that different from the first and that the engine is kinda the same the only difference is that there is just more open levels (I'd rather buy Operation Flaspoint), now don't get me wrong there is plenty of weapons and the multiplayer looks fun in Modern Warfare 2 so I might just buy it. Now even my favorite game: Battlefield Bad Company, if the second one doesn't have better graphics and an improved engine then I won't even think of buying it. And I bet you that if Uncharted: Drakes Fortune didn't have the amazing graphics it did, you PS3 fans wouldn't buy it.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By keyhunter
@Hamst3r: You are correct. I bought my PC two years ago, and no games have come out for the PC so I haven't had to upgrade it.
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By Hamst3r
@keyhunter said:
" @Hamst3r: You are correct. I bought my PC two years ago, and no games have come out for the PC so I haven't had to upgrade it. "
TRRRRRROOOOOOLLLLLL! *points*
BlameTheGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BlameTheGame
@Hamst3r said:
" @BlameTheGame said:
" I honestly hate how games are changing "
:O what?

@heartlessomen said:
"By being a console gamer I only have to spend a large amount of money once, for the console. ... displaying 720p, then I can see nice crisp visuals, it's everything one needs to really enjoy gaming today. However, if I were a PC gamer the expenditures would be a little different. I would need a high-end PC in order to play most games to their fullest extent, and if i wanted to keep playing those games I would need to upgrade some various pieces and parts of my PC's equipment every 6 months-a year"
Dude. If all you want is 720p visuals, then you don't have to upgrade your PC that often. You can enjoy the games at the same quality as the consoles. The option is available if you want it, but upgrading and having the best is not a requirement of PC gaming.To which you're probably asking, "Then why bother with PC gaming?" - it has plenty of other benefits. I'm not going to get into it all, since with a little imagination I'm sure you can think of all of them. But really, it all just comes down to what you care about in your gaming experience. For me, the only way to get what I want out of gaming is with a PC. For you it's with a console.To avoid PC gaming because you have to "buy new equipment every 6 months to a year" though is lunacy, as it's an utterly false statement. :) "
I don't mean that they are changing a bad way, I mean developers should focus more on the game then money. Things like that.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@baconbits33 said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor: Obviously you've never played a game drunk, trust me it makes it makes the experience even better.
"
It would add motion sickness & I wouldn't be able to play.
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By baconbits33
@Lind_L_Taylor:
Trust me that's the last thing you really care about. lol oh man is it soooo much fun.
TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#22  Edited By TobyD81

I think some of the new peripherals are going to help buoy the current consoles for a while longer, and I also think that there's plenty that can be done with the current hardware by giving updates to the software as all of the big three have done. But there will come a point in the future when the consoles' non user-upgradeable guts will be topped out and both devs and console manufacturers will be looking to a new console generation.

evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By evilhomer

i have no desire for a new system yet.  3 years maybe but i usually get them after theyve been out a year or so anyways.  next time around ill be waiting for pricedrops again or until a massive selection of games is available.  still feel like the current crop has a bit to prove and their is still limits to be pushed, the jump from uncharted to its sequal is substantial and thats just one game.  hopefully in a couple years there will be several games of that calibur (the jump from mass effect to its sequal also comes to mind, granted the games arent out but from what weve seen/heard)...

i could see it more from xbox cause of the technical issues they have had but i really want to see sony push their system a bit more.  cant say much from the pc end i mainly use a laptop these days and many other people do too.  pc games are gonna be better off if they cater to people who dont have high-end pcs to keep their market wide, blizzard seems to have grasped that and are by far the most succesful developer for pc gaming

DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DRE7777

It almost makes me cringe when i see people saying that they think these systems are almost done and that we are ready for new ones. To say that even the 360 has been used to its full potential, let alone the PS3 is just plain nonesense. You may be right, perhaps graphics have been pushed close to the max of what the system can do, but something that i think people constantly forget is that video games are not all about graphics. If graphics is all you want you might as well just watch CG movies. The consoles are pushing on five years now and if it is only now that the creators are reaching the max graphic capabillities than that means thier should be another 5 years to go until the systems die. Now that the game makers dont have to concentrate as much on graphics now they can actually concentrate on the important parts of a game, THE CONTENT.

Think about all the past consoles, their life spans have gotten progresively longer, i atribute this to the fact that it takes a while for people to max out the graphics and then they spend 3-5 years or so after working on the content and perfecting their games. Does anyone really think that it took companies 5 years to max out the graphics capabilities of the SNES, N64, Playstation, or other older systems, i highly doubt it. Look at the games on the N64. Mario 64, a game that came out at the beggining of the console, has about the same quality graphics as do the later games. Another example of how content matters is Xbox/Sony Arcade. Think about how many games that have been rereleased online with mildely improved graphics. And they sell extremely well.

Now i know that no is gonna argue against the fact the content makes or breaks a game, but i think that we get caught up sometimes in how a game looks and not so much how it plays or how it runs. Game creators do the same thing, and the result is we get games that look great but can really get bogged down by glitches and shoty play. Take Gears of War 2 for example, great single player campaign and looks great, but when it comes to the mechanics and gameplay (especially online) things can get really really fucked up and anoying.

My point is companies seem to be straying away from giving us great content because they are trying to make games look great. Which makes me really hate seeing gamers want new systems. I hope this gen stays around for 5 more years, forcing the makers to compete, not with graphics, but by giving us cleaner, more imersive, exciting, personal, expansive, unique, and inovative games that become classics for the ages. Because as gamers, isnt that what we all want.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

With the current crop of games & the game technology used, it doesn't seem that graphics need to be pushed further for 3D games.  The cell-shading technology that seems to be coming in new games is still compatible with existing technology.  Also, it doesn't seem that HD quality requires a more powerful gaming card to produce more color & motion.  I'd say that the current gaming technology has matured & game developers are working within the limitations of the system with astonishing success.  What game or technology currently exists that CAN'T be put on a console?  That's what I'd like to look at.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CL60
@Akeldama said:
" @Death_Unicorn said:
" @Akeldama said:
"
The 360 has far more worth while exclusives that have already been released then the PS3 even has and pretty much every multi-plat game to come out has been slightly better then the PS3 version, and in some cases massively better (See Ghostbusters). As for your list. Here we go. As for 360 the upcoming exclusives.

Alan Wake, Splinter Cell, Crackdown 2, Mass Effect 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Forza Motorsport 3, Halo 3: ODST. and more.

Get over yourself and stop trolling up a storm saying how much 360 sucks, I own both consoles and I play both consoles, and I enjoy both consoles. But to say some of the stupid shit you say makes me want to rip your head off.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I actually think the PS3 could last Sony 10 more years, plus I don't think they can afford to make another console anytime soon, and as they sell more PS3's and they get cheaper to produce they will start making money.

Avatar image for primevilkneivel
PrimevilKneivel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PrimevilKneivel
@Akeldama said:
The PS3 has Uncharted, GOW3, Heavy Rain, the new Ratchet game, MAG, MNR, Fat princess, GT 5, The Agent, The Agency, and a slew of others. What does the 360 have that can even begin to compete with such a solid line up? "

How about an install base?

The ten year guide line is just that, a guide line.  It's good for consumers to know they will have some life in their investment and it doesn't hurt the manufacturers, ahem Sony cough, to be able to show they stand behind their product. I wish Sony had done that with the minidisc player I bought, I might have more sympathy for them right now.

But in fact it might not be best for them to stick to it and in those cases they won't. MS wasn't going to make the 360 any better given a year in the lab (what they needed was more time in homes to see how fucking hot it would get) but having a jump on the competition  to show how good Xbox live was, was worth it. So they launched earlier and now everyone but the hardcore Sony FB's know what a good service it is.

As for console vs. PC, I do agree that there is less investment involved but the real kicker is it's easier, not cheaper. Combine that with a lower piracy rate and I can practically guarantee you PC gaming will never return to it's dominance over consoles. But thanks to things like Steam there is a resurgence in PC gaming which I think is good. Not everything is suited to a controller IMO. I also think people are more interested in a bigger picture than a better one, so consoles win again provided they can perform at the size of modern TV's (hello Nintendo!).

All of what I'm getting at is that the market is fluid and will change as needed or required. And for that reason we want many options. We are clearly all fans of Giant Bomb, a resource that covers all platforms and that brings us all together. There is no platform that hasn't fucked something up and all have innovated in some way. Together they all get better and keep us from living with shit that's just plain fucking stupid or else we'll all go play with someone else.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Akeldama
@PrimevilKneivel: The Ps2 has a rockier start than the PS3. Over 10 years later, its still going strong as the most successful console of all time. The devs have had enough time to learn the ins and outs of the PS3's tech and are starting to produce some of the best games we have ever seen. The install base is coming. 
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By animateria

Let's not forget...

Sony's 10 year life cycle doesn't mean the PS3 is going to be the only Playstation out for sale.

As with the PS2's life span, some of it will spill into the next console generation.

Hell, unless Microsoft is crazy about killing the 360 off when their next console comes around. I bet they'd still like to have that 360 income to a certain degree.

Then again, they did kill off the first X-Box with no remorse.

So I do believe there is a 10 year console lifespan. But I expect a new console at the end of those couple years.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iam3green

Actually with the PC u barely need to upgrade. i still have a decent computer. i have had my computer for around 3-4 years now and the only thing that i upgraded was my video card.  i've had the same card for around 2 years, it was a Nvidia 6600gt 128mb. it played a lot of games great. then i upgraded which cost $150. it is great. idk why people say u have to upgrade every 6 months.

the 10 year life cycle only means they will support it for 10 years. they will still have games coming out for it, while the next console is out. i would want to see an actual 10 year life cycle where there is ten years. it would be good as it would also bring out more upgrades to the system. i would say look at a game that came out when the system came out now look at a newer game for it.

i usually wait for the system to drop before i buy it for example, when the 360 premium dropped to $350 and the rrod warranty upgraded to 3 years i bought it. i found a coupon for dell that had a 15% off of eletronics so i bought a ps3 for $360. soon hopefully the ps3 gets a price drop to around that price.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#32  Edited By natetodamax
@Daryl said:
" All this talk about the end of this console generation annoys me. I feel like I've only started to really get used to it and people are already moving on. "
Agreed, I got my Xbox 360 two years after it was first released. I'm really into it now and I couldn't possibly imagine getting a whole new console for at least another few years.