• 77 results
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By foggel

The more popular a game is, the worse in quality it becomes. 

Example: Call of Duty: MW2.

Either that or I guess there will always be a constant percentage of haters for a game, and the amount just stacks as a game gets more awareness.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#52  Edited By monkeyking1969
  •  Greater fidelity of imagery paired with more thoughtful stories, more subtle emotional content, and more refined production values will make games a BIGGER target for those that hate them.  The more refined the gaming as a medium becomes the more games will be attacked.
  • Gaming will never again be a topic that can be easily discussed in all its facets by one cohesive group.  It is now not possible for even an experts to fully ‘comprehend or discuss’ the hobby as a whole.      
taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By taccyp

The PC version of major cross platform releases will most likely be broken at launch or have some kind of stupid DRM attached to it.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By GunslingerPanda
@Little_Socrates said:
" @GunslingerPanda: Honestly, I'm almost nine hours into Okami, and Call of Duty deserves to sell more copies so far. Besides the fact that many of the mechanics in Okami are "only okay" and that the biggest merit I can award this game is that it's got a great art style, the game also panders to players in such a way that, yes, it's clearly aimed towards children, maybe 7-12, but still has some entertainment value for older people who are willing to sit through the poorly-written cutscenes about Japanese mythology. Call of Duty is aimed towards the much wider age bracket of 15-30, which also has a larger income average than the children, AND the storytelling is fair to the intelligence of any player who picks it up.  I don't mean to say Okami is a "bad" game (if it were, I wouldn't be nine hours into it; I'll probably play even more of it tomorrow) but I definitely feel that CoD is a more universal experience made with better craftsmanship than Okami. The core of Okami, of course, is diamond in comparison to CoD's silver (except for CoD's occasional gold marks,) but there's a lot more rocky material to get through with Okami to enjoy the core of the game. I almost quit after I was two hours in-the first two hours of Okami are so poorly paced and so ill-crafted that there's nothing but the art style to recommend the game upon.  Sorry, I don't mean to crucify you about this, I just really want to understand why people think Okami is such a great game, and why you think it'd be a good fit for the general gaming public. Again, Okami's not a bad game, but I just don't understand the hype and I feel like I'm missing something. "
9 hours in, Okami is great. 30 hours in, Okami is fucking mindblowing.
Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Immuniity
@Turambar says:

Except the only thing truely different about Earthbound was its unique setting, something plenty of jrpgs have aimed to achieve.

Like i've expained. While theres several series that have taken the genre into new, modern day / not cliche settings. That doesn't excuse the fake that the majority really don't. Not to mention the fake that Earthbound as well as Chrono Trigger had a means to make combat skippable (by actually seeing the enemy on screen before the encounter) and even better, if the enemy was too low a level, they'd instantly die. This was obviously a step forward for the genre, yet here we are in 2010 and we STILL have random encounters.

The other aspect these two games well was pacing. This is largely a personal preference but there is a clear difference between the pacing of JRPGs and WRPGS (or eastern and western games in general). I do enjoy a thrilling story but if the first hour of gameplay is describing, again and again, how i am the 'chosen one' of some 'lost tribe' and the evil 2nd in charge is planning to overthrow the 'king' or whatever...im going to not play because it is NOT interesting. I feel that JRPGs excuse poor pacing as 'long gameplay'. Hint - I'd rather play a really well told 20 hour RPG then a RPG that takes 20 hours just to reach the world map.
SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Games these days are far too easy and only going to get easier. Regenerating health, regenerating shields, no penalties for death etc etc.  I will always be a proud Arcade Kid - I like levels, lives, continues, and  a real challenge.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#57  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I have come to accept (even though I hate accepting it) that there will never, ever, ever be another classical party-based first person RPG like Wizardry or Might and Magic.  Etrian Odyssey and equivalents don't count. Those are masochistic interpretations of earliest era RPGs where random, stupid, and grindy dungeon crawling experiences were the norm.

I've come to accept that Pokemon is going to continue doing the same shit over and over and over again and people will still buy it and people on internet forums will explain to me how some minor mechanical tweaks somehow make a game with the exact same gameplay systems since its introduction in 1995 modernized.

I've come to accept that Peter Moleyneux is prone to excessive hyperbole, and thus everything he says is a lie if taken literally. 

I've come to accept that people on internet forums will always bitch about how the old days were better, without remembering all the bad parts about the old days. 

And finally, I've come to accept that Nintendo no longer has a place in my heart, for the most part. They can keep on making Mario RPGs and Fire Emblem if they feel like it.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Aus_azn

Hopefully, they will never remake FFVII.

FFVIII kicks FFVII's ass.

Persona 3/4 are the best JRPGs ever made. 

1-10 game review scales are as follows:  

• 1-6: Don't waste your time or money, game is broken in all regards.
  • 7: Game has some ridiculously serious flaws (i.e. missing components, lousy camera/controls, nonexistent plot)
  • 8: Game is mediocre, moderate flaws (i.e. weak aspect coupled with strong aspect)
  • 9: Game is good, may have balance issues in MP/AI
  • 9.5: Game is pristine, flawless
  • 10: Game reviewer took massive bribe, shun their site and game probably sucks (1-7 in "scale of reality")
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Turambar
@Immuniity said:
" @Turambar says:

Except the only thing truely different about Earthbound was its unique setting, something plenty of jrpgs have aimed to achieve.

Like i've expained. While theres several series that have taken the genre into new, modern day / not cliche settings. That doesn't excuse the fake that the majority really don't. Not to mention the fake that Earthbound as well as Chrono Trigger had a means to make combat skippable (by actually seeing the enemy on screen before the encounter) and even better, if the enemy was too low a level, they'd instantly die. This was obviously a step forward for the genre, yet here we are in 2010 and we STILL have random encounters.   The other aspect these two games well was pacing. This is largely a personal preference but there is a clear difference between the pacing of JRPGs and WRPGS (or eastern and western games in general). I do enjoy a thrilling story but if the first hour of gameplay is describing, again and again, how i am the 'chosen one' of some 'lost tribe' and the evil 2nd in charge is planning to overthrow the 'king' or whatever...im going to not play because it is NOT interesting. I feel that JRPGs excuse poor pacing as 'long gameplay'. Hint - I'd rather play a really well told 20 hour RPG then a RPG that takes 20 hours just to reach the world map. "
You'd be right if the bulk of what you just listed have been absent in plenty of JRPGs recently.
Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Immuniity
@Turambar: Then tell me some good ones to play and i will. I shouldnt have to find obscure titles to see the genre shine.
DrBeardface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By DrBeardface

-The Dreamcast is gone and is never coming back. 
-Sonic the Hedgehog hasn't been relevant since Sonic Adventure's initial release. 
-No matter how many smart, artful video games come out I will still be labeled as "just a gamer". 
-Even being a casual fan of Halo will label me as a 'Master Chief fanboy' to those that hate the series. 
-Sam and Max: Hit the Road will not be remade for modern computers. 
-Video games will always be viewed as childish and dumb by a large portion of the population. 
-Blizzard will never release a game within 4 years of its announcement. 

Sigh, this is heartbreaking.  If anyone can dispel my insights, please do.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By Alexander

-The transition from PC to console version almost always results in a dumbing down to some degree.

Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Immuniity
@DrBeardface: 
Let me try and cheer you up;
1) Something is wrong if you are labeled 'just a gamer'. While it can be a major aspect of your life, it becomes worrying of people only view you as 'just a gamer'. More worrying is if you try to dispel this by NOT doing something else or highlighting your other qualities but by saying 'But braid / bioshock are smart and artful!'.
2) If you really like a series, hell, even if you only have a passing interesting, who the fuck cares what other people think. Do you really give a shit if someone calls you a masterchief fanboy? Its like someone calling you a dirty name. You can either get all upset over it and have a sob or you can say 'well..thats not true, so fuck you mate'.
3) Blizzard takes so long because they have the money to push out AAA titles, at least you can be sure when Blizzard releases a game its going to have polish, style and insanely good gameplay.
4) The dreamcast lives on in all of us.
Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if it stays true to the original form, it sucks and is a rehash. 
if it changes the original form at all, it sucks for being too different.   

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By toowalrus

Games are better now than they have ever been. I've pushed my nostalgia aside and see clearly for the first time...

Or maybe not.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#66  Edited By beargirl1

it's fun to be an asshole on Xbox Live 

DrBeardface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By DrBeardface
@Immuniity:  Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.  FOLLOWED!

1) How'd you know those are two of my favorite games?!  You've had this talk before, I see.
2) It's not so much that I'm being called a fanboy, it's more that people seem to immediately throw me into that group and dismiss any viewpoints on the games as a result.  I'm more sad about the state of the populace than being called fanboy. 
3) True as it is, it doesn't make the wait any easier.  Sometimes I wish they'd withhold ALL info on a game until its release.  Can you imagine if Tuesday rolled around and Blizzard announces "World of Starcraft!  On store shelves RIGHT NOW!" 
4) Best launch day I've ever participated in.  Wish I was able to hold on to that system...  
Thanks for the bolstering words.  It's kinda like a Video Game Therapist thread you've started here.
NickyDubz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By NickyDubz

This just a thread for whining isn't it.....

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#69  Edited By tourgen
@Immuniity: 
game AI will never be that good.  No developer seems to want to devote more than about 10% of available processing power to it.
DRM is here to stay.  So is piracy.
Every year some truely fantastic games get released.  It's getting harder to find them in the churning shit-slurry of shovelware and coked-up marketing campaigns screaming into my ears.
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By beej
@extremeradical said:

" @Immuniity: It's OK, I'm certainly not the staunchest defender of Japanese game design. I'd just like to point out that while not a lot of progress has been made in that sector of the industry, strategy, both real time and turn-based are stuck in similar ruts, and stop me if I'm wrong, but first person shooters, while enjoyable, aren't changing too quickly either. These predominantly western genres are, and have been for a number of years, lorded over by Starcraft, Civilization, and Call of Duty. How old are those series? How much have they really changed? Not every game can be as good as Chrono Trigger, but Final Fantasy XII and Persona 3 and 4 are pretty great games in their own right.  The point is, most genres are affected by quantum leaps rather than gradual evolution. Just wait for a new series to become the de facto JRPG the same way Halo, and later Call of Duty, became the benchmark for modern shooters. "

While this may be the exception that proves the rule Relic has been putting a lot of work into keeping the RTS genre moving and their games manage to sell pretty well.
oh also I guess in keeping with the subject- More and more games will probably keep getting released in a broken state and then patched later.
-Publishers will continue to forget that not everyone has their console hooked up to the internet, and as such, will continue giving out the content for gold editions in DLC codes.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Turambar
@Immuniity said:

" @Turambar: Then tell me some good ones to play and i will. I shouldnt have to find obscure titles to see the genre shine. "

Valkyria Chronicles and Resonance of Fate both come to mind rather easily.  Hand held games like Rondo of Swords and Yggdra Union do as well.  Hell, even FFXIII lacks many of the criticisms you just laid down.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#72  Edited By crusader8463
  • That I will never see Vanguard Bandits get a remake.
  • That I will never see a Command and Conquer Renegade 2.
  • That EA has all but run the greatness that is the Command and Conquer series straight into the ground.
  • That I will have to play some console exclusives with a god dam controller even though I despise with every fiber of my being playing the majority of games with a controller.
  • That I may never get to see a well made class based turn based strategy game get made on anything but a stupid handheld.
  • That the Space Sim genre is dead outside of bad to mediocer budget games made by Europeans.
  • That developers will continue to cut content from the finished game to nickle and dime as DLC.
  • That 99% of random people you play with online are ignorant fucks that should be castrated to prevent them from procreating.
  • That the collectors edition of the PC version of multiplatform games will continue to get screwed over and not be offered while the console versions get them.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Turambar
@NickyDubz said:
" This just a thread for whining isn't it..... "
Pretty much.
Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Immuniity
@Turambar: Valkyrie Chronicle does look fantastic...but its still a tactical turn based RPG akin to fire emblem opposed to a JRPG. I'll accept that its a JRPG if you accept that advanced wars is a JRPG or warcraft 3 is a WRPG (opposed to their respective turn based / strategy genres).

As for Resonance of fate it does seem like a step in the right direction but when it gets described as
 ' ...told in a drawn-out, stilted way that only reveals its agenda dozens of hours into your quest'
 HOWEVER it is totally great news to hear
 'one of the most inspired approaches to the  JRPG seen in a decade' 

But i'll repeat my point. Steps in the right direction are fantastic but the genre is still plagued with poor pacing and legacy features being included in simple reverence (random encounters).

I didnt come into this thread in order to exclusively trump on JRPGs and have even made slurs against RTS, western RPGs and FPS. Why did the fan force come out for only this genre? It seems odd that everyone always complains about the FPS defense force but they didnt seem to care when the genre was called generic and uninspiring.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Turambar
@Immuniity said:

" @Turambar: Valkyrie Chronicle does look fantastic...but its still a tactical turn based RPG akin to fire emblem opposed to a JRPG. I'll accept that its a JRPG if you accept that advanced wars is a JRPG or warcraft 3 is a WRPG (opposed to their respective turn based / strategy genres).

As for Resonance of fate it does seem like a step in the right direction but when it gets described as
 ' ...told in a drawn-out, stilted way that only reveals its agenda dozens of hours into your quest'
 HOWEVER it is totally great news to hear
 'one of the most inspired approaches to the  JRPG seen in a decade'   But i'll repeat my point. Steps in the right direction are fantastic but the genre is still plagued with poor pacing and legacy features being included in simple reverence (random encounters).  I didnt come into this thread in order to exclusively trump on JRPGs and have even made slurs against RTS, western RPGs and FPS. Why did the fan force come out for only this genre? It seems odd that everyone always complains about the FPS defense force but they didnt seem to care when the genre was called generic and uninspiring. "

Regarding Valkyria Chronicles, so what narrow definition do you have for JRPGs?  Advance Wars has nothing but the most bare bones of a storyline nor does it have any character advancement system.  Warcaft 3 lacks the character leveling aspect that's expected of any RPG (the hero mechanic doesn't count).  If they had those, I wouldn't have a problem fitting WC3 into the WRPG slot or Advance Wars into the JRPG slot.  The J in JRPG merely stands for where it is created/where the ideas for many of its thematic elements come from as far as I'm concerned.  As for RoF, no, its not perfect by any means.  However, its a game that prioritizes telling the stories of the individual characters over an overarching tale.  Condemning it for that is silly.

As for why fans of other genres don't make objects, ask them.  I'm don't play many FPSes so that's a line of argument I'm ill-suited to enter on either side.  That and I don't see much one sided condemnation of many western RPGs either.  I have opinions of Bioware and Bethesda rpgs and note them in relevant threads.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By penguindust
  1. I'll have an average life span of 3 seconds in any online multiplayer shooter.
  2. I'll be disappointed by SMT: Persona 5 whenever it is actually announced.
  3. Millions of people have mics, few use them and those that do, don't use them responsibly
  4. Any game that has shooting and driving will half-ass the controls for one or the other
  5. I can never marry Sonic...*sniff*
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#77  Edited By damnboyadvance

Zombie games are fun. (Seriously, what's the point?)