Turns out the stellar launch line up is not very stellar.

• 71 results
Avatar image for hauntingthedark
hauntingthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think the launch line up for both consoles is average at best. Nothing screams system seller, especially NOT Dead Rising, Forza or Killzone. It's better than the PS3/360 launch line up but underwhelming none the less.

A Fallout, Eder Scrolls or Metal Gear 5 would have been the one to make me buy so I am going to wait until something like that.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

All the best launch games aren't system exclusive. It's not that the launch lineup is super bad (though it is relatively mediocre), it's that the system exclusive launch games are pretty mediocre.

Though I will say Dead Rising 3 looks pretty fun.

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That's console launches for you. Though to be fair I think if you don't have a PC ACIV and BF4(if they ever fix those technical issues) are pretty good.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online

I personally think that both consoles have pretty decent launch lineups, especially when you factor in the third-party and multiplatform titles. The games are by no means great, but launch games are just generally never going to be all that good.

It takes time to transition development resources and to create new engines, asset pipelines, and workflows tailored to the new hardware. Also, from a business perspective, it doesn't make sense to invest a tremendous amount of time and money developing a game for the relatively small number of early adopters. With AAA game budgets being what they are, it make much more sense to not bet big on anything until there's a sufficient install base to support it.

hauntingthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Dead Rising 3 quick look put me right off wanting to play it. The game has lost what the original had. Like GTA V, I don't feel the need to explore and try things the way I did when playing GTA 3 and Vice City.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By project343

I actually really liked the Xbox 360's lineup.

Perfect Dark Zero (which I quite enjoyed), Call of Duty 2, Kameo (which I really enjoyed), and Project Gotham Racing 3. Those are 4 titles that I bought, loved, and played the shit out of.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the launch line up for both consoles is average at best. Nothing screams system seller, especially NOT Dead Rising, Forza or Killzone. It's better than the PS3/360 launch line up but underwhelming none the less.

A Fallout, Eder Scrolls or Metal Gear 5 would have been the one to make me buy so I am going to wait until something like that.

Compared to other launches. Especially from way back then these are pretty pretty good. Of course they are no systemseller because to get these AAA you need a installbase first to be profitable. It would have been suicide to release a MGSV at launch.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do you mean turns out? We've known these launch line-ups for a while now.

And while I'm not getting an Xbox right now, I'd argue that Forza might be a system seller for some people.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hunkulese

Can't really think of a better launch lineup ever.

hauntingthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw:

Reviews are in. Forza and Killzone just recently.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Welcome to the wonderful world of video game console launches: They're all like this.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I think they are both decent, I've been enjoying myself with the batch of ps4 launch games I got. Though I gotta say I do wish dead rising were multiplatform. Game looked fun

hauntingthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sackmanjones:

Dead Rising 3 doesn't look next Gen. I smell a half baked cake.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Truthfacts.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Dead Rising looks like a fun time for the most part.

I played and finished Knack though. and moderately enjoyed the combat. so maybe my standards are low.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hatking

I think the Xbox One lineup looks pretty decent. Forza has been consistent in quality. Dead Rising looks like a fun romp. Killer Instinct also looks way better than I expected it to be. And there's a few other surprises. Like, Zoo Tycoon? Apparently that's supposed to be pretty good? Weird. Killzone looks like trash. Knack looks boring as shit. But there's some really cool looking stuff around the corner for PS4. I'm feeling pretty positive about these consoles right now.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the Xbox One's line up actually looks better than 90% of the other consoles before it. Still not good, but not as terrible as some others out there *coughps4cough*

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm buying an Xbox One for Forza, so yes, it is in fact a system seller in this case.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A weak console launch lineup? I would have never guessed.

hauntingthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale:

I hear that Forza 5 is not as good as 4. What's going on?

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale:

Not every sequel is as good as the games before it? Not sure what you're confused about.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

So, it's pretty much an average console launch? Right now, I think most people getting one are buying in for potential. There's some very serviceable games in the line up for a launch on both systems right now, platform exclusive or not, which is at least passable in my mind.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hauntingthedark said:

@cale:

I dunno what's going on. I've just really liked what I've seen of Forza 5 and want to play it.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Dead Rising looks a little bland, the graphics are technically great but it's lost the colorful Japanese dreamcast like colorful and absurd art style, to make it look more walking dead than Thriller.

Forza 4, I played to death, bought the season pass, and have barely put the time in to unlock all the standard cars let alone DLC cars (they charge another $75 on top of the $50 season pass to actually unlock the cars to play). They say Forza 5 had the same tracks and cars we've seen in every game, only fewer. Which means another $50 pass just to get the same old Bel Airs and Transit vans again.

Screw Ryse and Knack.

Killzone multiplayer might be alright but Id rather see Battlefield and COD first. BF4 64 player battles.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game quality aside, there is a real disgusting tread going on with a package game that slow your progress in order for you to go to microtransaction. That is a much larger issue seeing as its in at least 3 of X1 exclusive (Ryse, Forza and Crimson Dragon). If that shit continues my plan to buy this machine next year will be put off indefinitely.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm certainly not a fan of Microsoft, but I've gotta admit that they've got a pretty decent selection of launch exclusives. I think the biggest problem with the launch lineup is that it's mostly just old shit in higher resolution. Some of it is good old shit, but I don't need to spend $400-$500 to play that shit again.

Although I might be singing a different tune when inFamous comes out.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Dead Rising and Killer Instinct are 2 games I want to play. I call that a good lineup. Besides too many other games and I'd be distracted from my catsuit funtimes.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By morningstar

I think you're quite right.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

console launches always suck. x1 seems to have more games i want to play right now though. there isn't anything announced for the ps4 that makes me want to get one

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think Dead Rising 3 and Forza look solid. Killer Instinct as well, which is a nice surprise. I'm still liking what I've seen of Knack, despite what I've heard, and Resogun looks like the sort of game I'd lose track of time playing.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is OP spamming general? You have like 4 threads created min apart from each other?

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Game quality aside, there is a real disgusting tread going on with a package game that slow your progress in order for you to go to microtransaction. That is a much larger issue seeing as its in at least 3 of X1 exclusive (Ryse, Forza and Crimson Dragon). If that shit continues my plan to buy this machine next year will be put off indefinitely.

Yeah, Sony has not dip their toe in this yet, so we only need to watch how Microsoft does this in the future and if they go harder, or pull back after these launch titles

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is OP spamming general? You have like 4 threads created min apart from each other?

Guess he's having a bad day and thought sharing it with us was a decent idea.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

It's sad that even games like Forza 5 are getting Knocked; it's especially sad about Crimson Dragon, I didn't expect great things but wow. It's rare that a launch lineup is amazing though, I mean come on, nothing can beat the Dreamcast launch.

dionysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I'm reasonably pleased with both PS4 and X1's launch lineups.

I'm actually holding back on purchasing much until I figure out which of the launch games I like the most and which system they play best on, but based on what I've seen of videos, quick looks, and reviews I'll probably end up with a half dozen or so of the next gen launch titles before year end and that doesn't even include the free-to-play and indy downloadables. Granted several of the games I'm interested are multi-platform and I'm holding off on purchasing them until I figure out which version I prefer... but they are still highly appealing launch titles. I don't see myself having anywhere near as much free time as there is awesome games to fill it.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By joshwent

Dead Rising and Killer Instinct are 2 games I want to play. I call that a good lineup. Besides too many other games and I'd be distracted from my catsuit funtimes.

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that last sentence has absolutely nothing to do with the new Mario game. Mrrrrrrrrrow!

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno. I still really like the launch lineup. Those five main games I'm all interested in.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not the end of the world if there isn't a solid launch game, it'd be more watching these console change through out the years.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

E THREE MYSTERIOUSNESS

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All console launches are like this but to be honest I think the X1 has one of the best launch lines up ever, all games reviewed. Ryse was going to be divisive, but Forza, DR3, and KI are three games that all look like they're worth getting. I can't remember a launch line up where three games were well reviewed. Plus, there are options of others games which also have some good reviews like Zoo Tycoon and if you're feeling it maybe Crimson Dragon, if you're a super fan of Panzer Dragoon.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whats even worse is that there's nothing equivalent to Funky Barn that Jeff will play for 4 hours while livestreaming it. Whats the verdict on Zoo Tycoon?

sku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killer Instinct looks alright, pricing tactics aside. I went with the Wii U, though, so I doubt I'll ever get hands-on with it.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43  Edited By veektarius

@forteexe21: The guy with the annoying voice from Polygon really liked it.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Picking up a console at launch is always like this. Remember when the 3DS was a waste of time with no games? Console launches are always short on games and high on promise.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Man, was anyone ever claiming either console had a stellar launch lineup? I don't remember hearing that. They are both pretty much mediocre, but we won't know for sure until Friday.

The decent stuff seems to be the multi-platform games and some of the odds and ends that looked like filler games at first glance. I'm really into Warframe on the PS4. And the F2P DC Universe is an alright City of Heroes replacement for now. The powersets could use some serious retooling though.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By peritus

@morningstar said:

@hunkulese said:

I hope you're both joking and im just not picking up on it. SNES and Nintendo 64 had far greater launch games!

Mario 64.

Done.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NBA 2k14 is a pretty fantastic game. I know for some reason people on Giant Bomb don't like sports but its a great franchise and this is a great-looking version of it.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Jimbo

Xbox The First had that Halos game, which was kind of a big deal.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By Seppli

It all depends on how you look at the multiplatform games. You can't get next gen/PC Battlefield 4 on current gen consoles - and it's a fantastic iteration of the franchise - so that's a killer app with legs that'll last for about 24 months, at least if you love Battlefield and buy into BF Premium. The first expansion launches alongside the Xbox One (two weeks before the other platforms get it), and it looks amazing. So for me, next gen has got a killer app launch game - Battlefield 4.

I'm sure others feel similarly enthused about other multiplatform games. A great batch of awesome ones release alongside PS4 and Xbox One. Unless you have a low high end current PC, these games are simply inferior on current gen consoles - in the case of Battlefield 4, vastly inferior. So really, I think your assessment is wrong. There are few exclusives, and none of them stand out as something to write home about - but overall, there's greatness to be had already. Or at least in a week, when I finally get my PS4.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By monetarydread

@peritus said:

@morningstar said:

@hunkulese said:

I hope you're both joking and im just not picking up on it. SNES and Nintendo 64 had far greater launch games!

Mario 64.

Done.

You are forgetting the fact that it was ONLY Mario 64, and Pilotwings for 6 months though...

actually wait, my bad. In March Shadows of the Empire, Turok, and FIFA came out. It's no wonder why so many people enjoyed Blast Corps when it was released that May.