TWiT's Game On Episode 6 uses footage from Giantbomb?

KARIMINAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KARIMINAL

I doubt I am the first to notice this but has anyone watched Game On ep 6? Veronica is showing off the PS Vita and all the footage is from the PS Vita special from Giantbomb. You can even see Jeff's hands.

Anyone else see this? What's up with that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItrsrNiwozc

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I'm sure they asked. Jeff was just on a Twit show last week.

KARIMINAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KARIMINAL

@MB: With no acknowledgement saying "Footage courtesy of Giantbomb"? You can even see them clicking through the youtube timebar hehe

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By willin

Jeff Gerstmann's hands copywrited by Whiskey Media, 2009.

KARIMINAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KARIMINAL

@Willin: LOL nice. Are they licensed out a hand at a time or is it both or nothing?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Dalai
@KARIMINAL said:

@Willin: LOL nice. Are they licensed out a hand at a time or is it both or nothing?

Believe it or not, he licenses out each finger separately.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Dalai said:

@KARIMINAL said:

It's because so many people wanted to use his thumbs and middle fingers that this was just the easiest way to handle that.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrKlorox
@Dalai said:

@KARIMINAL said:

What about the guest appearance by that booger on Jeff's left thumb? Or did that not make it in?
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Dalai
@MrKlorox said:
@Dalai said:

@KARIMINAL said:

What about the guest appearance by that booger on Jeff's left thumb? Or did that not make it in?
As long as it was on Jeff's thumb at the time, it counts.
KARIMINAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KARIMINAL

@Dalai: So the booger is like an incentive or upsell? License out all ten fingers and the booger is included in the package? The Gerstman Special perhaps...

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By nickux

I usually like shows on TWiT but I can't stand this new one. It's super in-your-face with gamer radditude x-play bullshit. I wish they had approached gaming like they do other topics in technology.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Branthog

@nickux said:

I usually like shows on TWiT but I can't stand this new one. It's super in-your-face with gamer radditude x-play bullshit. I wish they had approached gaming like they do other topics in technology.

They're intentionally trying to make it a very polished high-production show modeled after X-Play to appeal to a really wide audience. I suspect they figured the "several people sit around a table and talk in-depth about games" thing has been done to death by every gaming site and every wannabe podcaster out there (and they did try that for several months, when it was starting out as At The Controls). It's not really my thing, either, but I know they're not necessarily aiming for the crowd that already knows all of the news stories, because they received them in their RSS feed the moment it happened and have had five days to think about it, by the time it's covered briefly in a show rundown.

As a result, the LAN party that follows (for four to eight hours, usually) is far more compelling. My only concern is that if this polished format for Game On doesn't work, Laporte might not be willing to give a go at yet another (third) attempt at a sort of gaming show in another style. So it'll be this succeeding or this failing (and not being replaced with anything). That's really a shame, because I feel like you do that their strength and uniqueness could come from producing it exactly like they do every other show on the network.

Then again, who am I go second-guess Leo? He really seems to know what he's doing and a guy clearing $9m/yr in ads has to be doing something right.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pw2566ch

And this is why we can't have nice things. "OMG theyz used da footage of GB in da showz. I HATEZ DEM!" So what? Get back to me when they use all kinds of material from other sites in every show. Then there will be a problem.

mordi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mordi

Why do you care? This is like hating on open-source software.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By napalm

@pw2566ch said:

And this is why we can't have nice things. "OMG theyz used da footage of GB in da showz. I HATEZ DEM!" So what?

The OP wasn't phrased that way. He was simply asking what was going on. Stop exaggerating for no reason.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Toxeia

Would be nice to say "Our friends over at Giantbomb spent some time with the Vita, here are the highlights." I haven't looked at the offending footage, but this feels like the bullshit on tumblr where people post comics by other people and remove the watermark and give no credit meaning no one ever finds the person that made the content they enjoy.

koshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By koshka

@Toxeia said:

Would be nice to say "Our friends over at Giantbomb spent some time with the Vita, here are the highlights." I haven't looked at the offending footage, but this feels like the bullshit on tumblr where people post comics by other people and remove the watermark and give no credit meaning no one ever finds the person that made the content they enjoy.

This... *coughiraffirusecough*

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By mikemcn

That's a little weird, I know nothing about TWIT and their practices though.

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By kmg90

Jeff recently stopped by Twit a few weeks ago.... I'll just leave this here

KARIMINAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KARIMINAL

@Napalm said:

@pw2566ch said:

And this is why we can't have nice things. "OMG theyz used da footage of GB in da showz. I HATEZ DEM!" So what?

The OP wasn't phrased that way. He was simply asking what was going on. Stop exaggerating for no reason.

I never made a judgement about the show, was just wondering how/why they were using GiantBomb footage. The show also used some footage from IGN but in that case the footage had an IGN watermark on it

I'm just curious and so far no one seems to know which makes me more curious...@pw2566ch said:

And this is why we can't have nice things. "OMG theyz used da footage of GB in da showz. I HATEZ DEM!" So what? Get back to me when they use all kinds of material from other sites in every show. Then there will be a problem.

Also, this episode did nit feature Jeff if that explains a little more...