• 145 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Earlier this year, Amazon announced the Kindle Development Kit, a platform in which content publishers could push out "active content" (read: games) for the e-ink reading device. If you're hip to the Kindle, then you've experienced the fruits of the KDK with Minesweeper and Gomoku, but two more games are now available, for free, via Amazon. Both are word-based, and neither as dazzling as a Bionic Commando Rearmed or as complex, as say, a Peggle.

Every Word and Shuffled Row are the new joints, as spotted by I Love My Kindle. Every Word is a simple word soup game where you attempt to spell as many words as possible from a six-letter jumble before a timer runs out. Shuffled Row is the same, except you'll have sixty letters to pick from. Exciting stuff, right? 

Shuffled Row, the coolest game this side of Minesweeper.

The file sizes are 900KB each, so we're not talking top-of-the-line visuals. Also, if you have an original Kindle, it appears as though these games are just too hardcore for your reader. Consider an upgrade (or an iPad).

The Kindle isn't a powerhouse platform for games. Heck, it can't even push out color, so Unreal Engine 3 is definitely out of the picture. But I'm guessing that multimedia is the direction Amazon wants to head towards at some point down the line. Games will certainly be a part of this, so says my crystal ball, which has this weird image of the App Store floating in the middle of its inky abyss.    
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Earlier this year, Amazon announced the Kindle Development Kit, a platform in which content publishers could push out "active content" (read: games) for the e-ink reading device. If you're hip to the Kindle, then you've experienced the fruits of the KDK with Minesweeper and Gomoku, but two more games are now available, for free, via Amazon. Both are word-based, and neither as dazzling as a Bionic Commando Rearmed or as complex, as say, a Peggle.

Every Word and Shuffled Row are the new joints, as spotted by I Love My Kindle. Every Word is a simple word soup game where you attempt to spell as many words as possible from a six-letter jumble before a timer runs out. Shuffled Row is the same, except you'll have sixty letters to pick from. Exciting stuff, right? 

Shuffled Row, the coolest game this side of Minesweeper.

The file sizes are 900KB each, so we're not talking top-of-the-line visuals. Also, if you have an original Kindle, it appears as though these games are just too hardcore for your reader. Consider an upgrade (or an iPad).

The Kindle isn't a powerhouse platform for games. Heck, it can't even push out color, so Unreal Engine 3 is definitely out of the picture. But I'm guessing that multimedia is the direction Amazon wants to head towards at some point down the line. Games will certainly be a part of this, so says my crystal ball, which has this weird image of the App Store floating in the middle of its inky abyss.    
#2 Edited by TonyBlue87 (291 posts) -

Much as I love the idea of the Kindle, I'm still a physical book guy.

Also, quest complete.

#3 Posted by Jeknod (228 posts) -

k00l beans

#4 Posted by DrBeardface (243 posts) -

Is it just word games on the Kindle?  Seems pretty stunted.

#5 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

But I don't own a Kindle...

#6 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

As if it couldn't look any worse being a Kindle game already, they use serifed fonts. Blech!

#7 Posted by RE_Player1 (7550 posts) -

I don't mind downloading games, I don't mind downloading movies, but I draw the line when it comes to books. I like the feel of a book and no device can replicate that. 

#8 Posted by Brians (1458 posts) -

Odd

#9 Posted by TrueDivinty (10 posts) -

You buy a kindle for reading. Playing lame word games, no.

#10 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -
@TonyBlue87 said:
"Much as I love the idea of the Kindle, I'm still a physical book guy."

This. Also if I want to play a game with one, I'll draw a Tic-tac-toe board on the inside of the cover.
#11 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" I don't mind downloading games, I don't mind downloading movies, but I draw the line when it comes to books. I like the feel of a book and no device can replicate that.  "
It does avoid paper cuts!
#12 Posted by mammo (20 posts) -

So with the WiFi only version you can still read your books and stuff anywhere right?  The only use for the 3G one is if you're out and need a new book at that moment?  And who are you paying the the 3G coverage?

#13 Posted by itsnottaken (2 posts) -

There is no point in games on the kindle... enough said.

#14 Posted by CyleMoore (493 posts) -

Cool it looks like old Game Boy Pocket games!

#15 Posted by Methdragon (18 posts) -

word

#16 Posted by RE_Player1 (7550 posts) -
@mosdl said:
" @RE_Player92 said:
" I don't mind downloading games, I don't mind downloading movies, but I draw the line when it comes to books. I like the feel of a book and no device can replicate that.  "
It does avoid paper cuts! "
You got me sir. 
#17 Posted by Post25DayXfer (6 posts) -

quest

#18 Posted by BarrenMind (48 posts) -

I enjoy Every Word.. decent little time waster

#19 Posted by BrockSampson (296 posts) -
@mammo said:
" So with the WiFi only version you can still read your books and stuff anywhere right?  The only use for the 3G one is if you're out and need a new book at that moment?  And who are you paying the the 3G coverage? "
3G is free and included with the reader
#20 Posted by ManlyBeast (1140 posts) -

Cool I'm getting the new kindle when it comes out at the end of the month.

#21 Posted by Dustpan (1690 posts) -

I'm illiterate.

#22 Posted by valentin_rad (85 posts) -

I can already play games on my pc, mobile phone, console and laptop do I really need kindle games? does anyone? And why would I buy games for it when I can find much better versions online and free.

On a sidenote, Limbo would be a great game for the kindle but I doubt it could handle anything that requires more CPU than pacman

#23 Posted by icansmell (1 posts) -

ummm....cool?

#24 Posted by Castro (950 posts) -

You know what game would be great on the Kindle? Zork! In fact, they should just release an Infocom pack with all of those old games.

#25 Posted by ster (3 posts) -

I actually kind of want a Kindle. 

I haven't read a book since High School, and even then I never finished the books. :(

#26 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Tragic, if there are games on the Kindle there's not a chance I'll actually read using the blasted thing.

#27 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

Love me some gaming news.

#28 Posted by NickNolanPlutchak (2 posts) -

To be totally honest I'd prefer if they just left it as an e-reader. I don't think it can really attempt to compete with the ipad in terms of a multi-media device.

#29 Posted by stilllife (8 posts) -
 may i'll get a kindle now!!!! just for playing games ;)
#30 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

Is "I only read physical books" the new "I only listen to vinyl" or what?

I love books. I use my local library frequently to check them out. However, I don't buy physical books anymore. My Sony Reader is so much nicer for most of my daily reading. I used to carry around books with me at all times for reading on the train, for waiting in line somewhere, etc. What a relief it was when I traded in new hardcovers for a 10 oz Reader. I'm not looking back. That's just my opinion after having actually owned one. Most of my friends who insist they wouldn't like ebooks haven't actually tried.

#31 Posted by WindFall259 (364 posts) -

I was under the impression you were writing sarcastically half the time, Brad. :P

#32 Posted by murderblood7 (4 posts) -

lolwordgames

#33 Posted by WiFiPirate (141 posts) -

Snake or possibly centipede could be interesting to play on kindle. Still it's all just speculation at this point. 
;) 

#34 Posted by Magneticlens (16 posts) -
@valentin_rad:  There are a few other problems with the display for games. The e-ink on the kindle takes a second or so to refresh, accompanied by some screen flashing as the device sort of shakes the e-ink particles like an etch-a-sketch to make sure you don't have ghost images of the previous display.
#35 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

Looks I'll have to quit playing Starcraft 2 for this.

#36 Posted by JerrKat (28 posts) -

Kewl, If you only have your kindle with you and looking for a break from reading some small games like this seem to be a perfect fit.  Going have check these out later.

#37 Posted by xenogamer (19 posts) -

yup

#38 Posted by ChrisColina (27 posts) -

Boring!

#39 Posted by VoodooTerror (607 posts) -

what the fuck is a kindle?

#40 Posted by neckface (61 posts) -

I just threw my iPad in the bin and I'm doing my mobile gaming on this bad boy!

#41 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

When I can get a Kindle for less than €100, I'll buy one. 

#42 Posted by Typical (9 posts) -

Looks like I wont need this laptop anymore.
#43 Posted by geenome (11 posts) -

yay

#44 Posted by haplar (2 posts) -

Not sure how well this will work -- even when using the web browser, the Kindle has to flash completely black each time the screen is redrawn.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy a nice game of TextTwist Knockoff.

#45 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

I think I would buy a kindle if it gets rid of the headache I always got from reading books for some reason. 

#46 Posted by ReV_VAdAUL (44 posts) -

I too prefer physical books and a gameboy version of scrabble isn't going to sway me away from them.

#47 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

When will they port Limbo on this thing?
#48 Posted by omgwtfbbq (2 posts) -

Yeah, I see absolutely no point on gaming on the Kindle.

#49 Posted by DefaultGen (135 posts) -

Bah, still don't really like my Kindle.

#50 Posted by NeoUltima (226 posts) -

Wow, graphics as good as the original gameboy