Avatar image for eightbitwarrior
EightBitWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Edited By EightBitWarrior

So the other night, me and some friends on Xbox Live got really bored and started downloading a bunch of random demos on the Xbox Live Marketplace. The TimeShift multiplayer demo (PUKE), Juiced 2 multiplayer demo (eh...), and others including surprisingly still online Phantasy Star Universe beta demo. Now, I've downloaded this demo already a long while back, but I'll admit that I had NO clue what was going on, and it took me like an hour to find out where the missions were at, and when I did, I died immediately (was a high level dungeon lol). I got a couple of friends to join me this time, so I figure, hey, I'll try to figure it out and give it a fair shot... and became extremely addicted. Now let me tell you, the demo is very lean on content (both mission wise and customization options, among other things), but.... I dunno, it just became extremely addicting the more I played on.

Also, in my history, the online RPGs I've gotten into have ALL been about real-time combat ie Dungeons & Dragons Online, and Age of Conan. That's what Phantasy Star Universe is, and I nestled into its gameplay very much so. At first it can seem especially simplistic, but the farther you go into the missions included, you'll find there are many enemies that you need to keep on your toes to dodge and such, as well as some pretty awesome looking and fun to fight bosses that will kick your face in if you aren't extremely careful. I also became extremely addicted to synthesizing (crafting) items, and buying cool looking clothing. I will say that the game has a definite steep learning curve about how to do things in its world, at least in this demo, but after you figure it out, its really cool.

Needless to say, I'll be picking up the full version very soon (hopefully in the upcoming week). I'm going to have to purchase it used at one of the local gamestops because it isn't printed anymore, but I don't really care too much, as I'll be definitely installing ASAP so I won't have to worry about the disc getting errors.

Guess that's all there is to report at the moment.
Later.
EightBitWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EightBitWarrior

So the other night, me and some friends on Xbox Live got really bored and started downloading a bunch of random demos on the Xbox Live Marketplace. The TimeShift multiplayer demo (PUKE), Juiced 2 multiplayer demo (eh...), and others including surprisingly still online Phantasy Star Universe beta demo. Now, I've downloaded this demo already a long while back, but I'll admit that I had NO clue what was going on, and it took me like an hour to find out where the missions were at, and when I did, I died immediately (was a high level dungeon lol). I got a couple of friends to join me this time, so I figure, hey, I'll try to figure it out and give it a fair shot... and became extremely addicted. Now let me tell you, the demo is very lean on content (both mission wise and customization options, among other things), but.... I dunno, it just became extremely addicting the more I played on.

Also, in my history, the online RPGs I've gotten into have ALL been about real-time combat ie Dungeons & Dragons Online, and Age of Conan. That's what Phantasy Star Universe is, and I nestled into its gameplay very much so. At first it can seem especially simplistic, but the farther you go into the missions included, you'll find there are many enemies that you need to keep on your toes to dodge and such, as well as some pretty awesome looking and fun to fight bosses that will kick your face in if you aren't extremely careful. I also became extremely addicted to synthesizing (crafting) items, and buying cool looking clothing. I will say that the game has a definite steep learning curve about how to do things in its world, at least in this demo, but after you figure it out, its really cool.

Needless to say, I'll be picking up the full version very soon (hopefully in the upcoming week). I'm going to have to purchase it used at one of the local gamestops because it isn't printed anymore, but I don't really care too much, as I'll be definitely installing ASAP so I won't have to worry about the disc getting errors.

Guess that's all there is to report at the moment.
Later.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

I'm surprised the PSU beta demo is still up and playable.  I thought it was limited time only.  When I tried it during that period a few years back it was a laggy buggy mess.

I mostly only played Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast when it was free.  Was amazingly good fun, and this was during a post-Everquest 1 period, which I basically consider the best MMO of all time.  PSO played great on my crappy dialup too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Were there many people online? or is it a persistant open world? I have always been curious about Phantasy Star online.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Diamond
@Bucketdeth said:
" Were there many people online? or is it a persistant open world? I have always been curious about Phantasy Star online. "
The online PS games have many user hubs but everything beyond that is instanced.  It's built quite like Guild Wars in that way.  I don't think it's right how they charge monthy fees for PS games now though.

Can't tell you what the population is like now though.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Diamond said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" Were there many people online? or is it a persistant open world? I have always been curious about Phantasy Star online. "
The online PS games have many user hubs but everything beyond that is instanced.  It's built quite like Guild Wars in that way.  I don't think it's right how they charge monthy fees for PS games now though.Can't tell you what the population is like now though. "
Ahh I see, I played Guild Wars a ton a few years ago, if the world is instanced outside the lobby I don't think it should have a fee.
DeVeAn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DeVeAn

Whaaaa?!?! LOL, dude I never thought you would play PSU. Its fun though and yes addicting 24 hours OUCH. Anyway IT will get boring. Since your starting from the ground up it will last a good while. Good Luck, in joining the guardians.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By lordofultima

PSU I've heard is a shame to the series, so this is weird seeing this from you. I didn't like PSO at all so I doubt I'll ever give it a chance.

darro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By darro

I have the full game but only have played the single-player because paying 6.99 a month for the online for this I feel is a bit on the ridiculous side.  If it were half price or free I would consider it. 

I know you have been addicted to it since everytime I go on during the morning/afternoon, you are playing it with John.  Never thought I would see the day you would like something like this.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By The_A_Drain

I found myself strangely hooked on PSU for a little while, I never played any previous iterations for more than a couple hours, so this came as a surprise to me. It wore off eventually. I don't know about being a shame to the series though, it seems like more of the same as previous games. But then I only played the previous for a small amount of time like I said, especially the dreamcast one.

The single player is hella boring, but easy and relaxing 1000 points. Long though.

EightBitWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EightBitWarrior

I love when someone says they're loving a game, and someone comes in saying the game is garbage even if they haven't played it.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iam3green

good to hear ur addicted to something. i was addicted to Wow when i first played it. it is an addicting game from having friends playing and meeting friends.

it kind of sucks getting addicted to a game. u feel u want to play it no matter where u are.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#12  Edited By ImperiousRix

Ah, the video game addiction, the sweetest of all.
It's especially mystifying when it's a game not a lot of others understand.  I recently felt that way with the Ghostbusters multiplayer, and even more recently, Call of Juarez in general.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By lordofultima
@EightBitWarrior: I don't have to play something to know I don't like it. PSO sucked in 2000, and it's like 2009. Lots of people disagree with what I blog, but that's what comments are for right?
drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By drac96

I subscribed to PSU earlier this year on PC only to be dissapointed. It is very similar to PSO, but it has quite a few flaws. Due to this the PC community was dying. I saw a total of 20 people then entire month I played. From what I heard the Xbox 360 community is a bit more vibrant. If you're interested in it you might as well play PSO for free on PC instead

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By animateria

PSP for the... drumroll* ...PSP is excellent as well.

Well, as long as everyone you know has a PSP, as well as a copy of PSP.

I'm sure there's Adhoc fun to be had there. You know on PSP on the PSP.

Did I mention PSP?

I'm currently a MHFU addict, sadly I don't have anyone to Adhoc with... Still good though. Epic solo battles against monsters meant for a party is always fun.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By TheMustacheHero

PSO was so much better lol

ShaunM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShaunM

Oh Phantasy Star Universe, so much fun choosing girl characters and having dozens of dudes trying to hit on me and my friends.  And yet, so very creepy at the same time...

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By CowMuffins

That game sucks. Go play Phantasy Star Online for the Gamecube or Dreamcast and then you'll play a GOOD Phantasy Star game.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By animateria
@ShaunM: I made a male avatar and female avatar on Home, because I like to mess with character generators in general.

A stroll around the areas with the Male avatar when smooth.

Female avatar? Well, I had to teleport back to my room as quick as possible. Female deprived nerds just surround you the minute you walk out.

That was fucking creepy. I don't know how female Home users can stand that shit.

Incidentally, I don't know how Home users can stand Home at all!

Sony... What the hell were you thinking!?
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

PSU?  Are you serious?  That's what this was all about?  I gave that POS a shot a few years ago & could flat out tell it sucked immediately. And you want to pay a monthly fee for this?  It sounds like you're trying to get people to waste time downloading a crap game by saying it's good, when it isn't. How very spam-like.

I tried some demos as well this weekend.  FNR 4 and UFC.  UFC is too complicated.  Those were the only 2 demos I had time for.

EightBitWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EightBitWarrior

Wow, some of you people are pretty hardcore on the hate. Yes, I'm addicted to it. I love the game, so what? Get over it.

I never played PSO. From what I saw in videos and such, the game looks mostly the same as PSU so I dunno... sounds like you guys just grew up with PSO and got tired of it over time, so the new game didn't impress you when it didn't do much if anything new. Being my first PS game, I enjoy it thuroughly. That's all there is to it.
DeVeAn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DeVeAn
@lordofultima:  I gotta disagree, PSO was amazing back in 2000 and yes its 2009 but this has improved since PSO. Besides, just because you dont like something doesn't make anyone else crazy for liking it.