VGX 2013: Did Joel McHale make the show better?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Poll VGX 2013: Did Joel McHale make the show better? (1010 votes)

Yes 48%
No 52%

So this seems to be somewhat of a divisive opinion regarding the VGX 2013. In your opinion, did Joel McHale's presence make the show better with his fantastic jokes, or did he make the show that much worse and maybe Geoff should have hosted the whole thing himself?

• 
Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I kind of like Joel Mchale, and I don't mind at all when people make fun of my hobby, or don't take the industry seriously. I think it's important to have a sense of humor about things. I didn't watch it though, so I can't say it didn't suck.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Here's mchale vs dorito pope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkUtcn1Nz0s

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm thinking more about the appearance of Hardcore Dave in that montage of crappy Reggie memes. I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#204  Edited By AndrewB

They're just way too polar on how they act. Joel could take a step back and try to be somewhat professional every now and then (it gets grating whenever he chimes in because it's always going to be some -often completely unrelated- joke in the middle of an interesting conversation). On the other hand, I could see where people are coming from in saying that Joel was trying to get Geoff to let loose a little more, but that isn't personally what I want to see from a show like that. I guess it's a good thing that I don't ever seem to catch much of the show, and just watch the reveal news later; then just watch shows like Bonus Round whenever I remember they exist, because that's more in line with the kind of talk I'm looking for.

I was specifically blown away by Joel's point blank at Reggie about his thoughts on the PS4/XBox One at the end of their showcase of the Donkey Kong game (also the only time I can remember him engaging with anything but a roast-worthy comment). At least it turns out that Reggie has his script on that one very well-memorized/is also good at PR.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I would have preferred Geoff hosting by himself or with other video game journalists. Joel's jokes fell flat most of the time. So did all of the skits. Show would have been better without Joel, Mega 64, etc.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So that guy is what some of you people consider "funny"?

The entire show was a big freaking trainwreck- and that guy wasn´t even the worst part about it. The worst part was the announcement of a "new" Tomb Raider game that just about 0 people are going to buy. Thank god for Hello games (and Telltale).

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By chobobot

I was shocked that Joel Mchale was a comedian, cos' I didn't laugh at one of his jokes throughout the show, they were so badly delivered. In my opinion the hosts should have been Keighly and iJustine and the show should have been cut down to 2 hours with the removal of the bad jokes.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

@jayeh said:
Loading Video...

His style of humor seemed out of place here; it didn't look like Geoff wanted to fool around at all. Joel's bit seems similar to what Zach Galifianakis and Sung Kang do.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was the first time I was ever able to legit watch it all the way through, and I think Joel was a big part of that. His misery and disinterest was actually enjoyably meta in a certain sense, making it all bearable.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By development

I don't normally find him funny, so I wasn't surprised that only a few things got me to laugh, but that wasn't the problem. There were two main issues, in my mind:

1. There wasn't an audience large enough to be heard laughing so you didn't just take every joke as a bomb, no matter how unfunny they actually were

2. With the exception of Tim Schaffer and that lone guy at the end, the guests didn't understand how (and weren't prepared) to handle quips and other not-questions that weren't your typical Geoff Keighley softballs. As an aside: I find the Telltale guys acting like they had no idea there was sex in Game of Thrones to be super weird (were they *trying* to bomb?). Anyway, I'm not blaming the devs; I'm blaming the format and how it was all handled. Clearly Joel was allowed to go far more off-rails than they intended, which of course resulted in the guests being completely unprepared and his (totally normal for his show "The Soup," by the way) brand of humor was allowed free reign.

But, yes, I think he still made it better. I chuckled a couple times, and he kept it lighter. Plus, getting to see Geoff bite his lip and grind his teeth in white-hot anger towards the end was great.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@wikitoups said:

@turboman said:

@sil3n7: Yeah definitely. The GDC awards that Schafer hosts every year is a good alternative that people should really get behind if that's their thing.

I'm just quoting this cause it's so true, If you want a better take on a video games award show you should watch the GDC Awards.

Here! watch this years one! NOTE: This was in march.

Loading Video...

Wow, I'm 10 minutes in and this is pretty good. Tim Schafer is a fantastic host and makes me wish I knew about the Gdc awards earlier.

Yeah, me too. I'll need to keep an eye out for the next one.

I know some people enjoy the cynicism that Joel Mchale brought to the award show last night, but this is much more up my ally. I just want to see companies get awards and feel good about it.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Maybe some of his jokes were bad but generally speaking it was good to see someone who is not from a major video game website and resembles to a real person.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@masterpaperlink said:

@turboman said:

Here's the thing. I'm pretty terrified that none of the developers are the LEAST bit prepared to talk about any aspect of the game outside of their bullet points. During the Game of Thrones mini interview, Joel was obviously throwing some softball questions at the two guys on the couch regarding the show that most casual audiences of that show would have understood and they looked like deer staring at headlights. Joel asked the Dying Light guy what his favorite weapon in the game was and the developer stuttered for about 30 seconds trying to remember what weapons has been revealed in the Promotional Packet given to the public.

If you can't be excited about talking about your game in front of an audience and you can't roll with the punches, don't go on a live show. Stay behind your bullet proof glass windows and release soulless Developer Diary videos.

Tim Schafer is a natural at casually talking about his creations and it showed here. Joel obviously respected Tim at the end of the segment, and it came off as a good segment. That's how you do it, people!

How is it even mildly surprising or terrifying that this industry is made up of nerds who are bad on camera?

Then what's the point of an awards show?

to give them awards????? recognition of accomplishment? i guess only "funny" guys who are great at deflecting terrible jokes deserve awards.

Now, whats the point of VGX? Its a giant AD, its not an awards show.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The funniest thing about this show is that the supposed "comedian" was the one asking tough questions and quite frankly questions I personally would like to hear the answer to. While the "journalist" was too busy looking offended the "comedian" did not follow the script. All in all, VGX is still as unwatchable as VGA. Doesn't help that I had to get up at 6am to watch it.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By abendlaender

@turboman said:

I'm copy and pasting what I said in the other thread:

For everyone that hates Joel Mchale:

He plays a Snarky Asshole when he hosts The Soup. If you don't want your host to be a Snarky Asshole, don't hire the Snarky Asshole that hosts The Soup.

That is all.

I don't care about his snark. His constant aweful attempts at humor though...

I DID miss him though, when PewDiePie was on...

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He wasn't that bad.

The problem is that the show was going for a late night talk show vibe. But it's very hard to have an interesting conversation with developers who have had their personalities sucked out by media training!

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#217  Edited By MildMolasses

I muted the show at a certain point, so I don't really know if he improved over the show, but some of the off-script banter he tried did seem much more enjoyable than the jokes he was given. I'm all for having fun and not taking things overly seriously, but that is a far cry from the "throwing everything under the bus" thing he was doing. There are plenty of likeable, funny people with an actual interest in what was happening that could have made it OK (Aisha Tyler skirts the line of laughing with/laughing at the audience just fine). He just seemed uninterested, and aside from that, the rest of the show was underwhelming. It was a huge step back from last year which managed to hit their MTV movie award vibe while not mocking the audience for having the audacity to tune into something that was designed for them to tune into

Theassman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really we're upset that he joked about gamers?? This show is such a joke and an insult on its goddamn own, and I wouldn't want some corporate shiteater playing along like this is the oscars. I respect Joel for being transparent enough about that whole thing, its fucking ridicolous and has nothing to do with awards, its all mislead marketing.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda wanted it to be something non-gamers could watch and get interested in but thats really not what that was

SquareTheRoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The show sucked major fucking balls. It was straight up knife to the chest painful to watch. The whole time I was going "Tommorrow every last one of these people are going to be called into a meeting, be told that they have a present under their seat and its going to be a note with one word on it "fireduptheanus". Man that was horrible.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll say this, if I had been given a shitty script with groan inducing jokes, standing next to a wooden sculpture that only wants scoops for his crappy 3 hour commercial, I think I would have done the same thing Joel did. I mean you could see it on his face every-time there was some crappy joke there was this look of "Really?" Then, man said to himself, "Fuck it, I'm gonna read this shit like I don't give a fuck and make this lifeless production crew suffer through it all."

I'm not saying that was the best approach, but you could tell when games like No Man's Sky, Broken Age, and Dead Light came on he seemed genuinely interested. I mean he was actually trying to get people motivated that they were seeing new shit as he was the only guy clapping, and everyone else could have at least gave a shit at showing some enthusiasm.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By killacam

in some twisted way, yes

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By alwaysbebombing

@thebluthcompany said:
This sums up the whole event in my mind
This sums up the whole event in my mind

EDIT: Train wrecks don't have to be bad. It was fun to watch McHale go off-script and see people squirm because the PR team hadn't prepped the devs well enough to deal with that.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This is the first time I've watched the show in years and also the first time I considered it not to be a massive embarrassment to the entire industry (just a minor one). Joel McHale occasionally brought a sense of perspective and humor to what was going on, but I think the show would have been better with just Keighley. In any case, I think talking to developers and showing more trailers and demos is a good direction for the show to go in.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

It depends on what you think the show is supposed to be. If you want a serious award show that celebrates the games industry, him mocking everything ruins that. If you want a show that is terrible and mocks itself for being terrible then he certainly provides that.

Completely agree with this, its bad enough they host a show about a subject neither of them seem at all interested in, to mock gamers and re-enforce the stereo type of the nerd who lives in a dark basement of their mums house...its just insulting.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayeh said:
Loading Video...

His style of humor seemed out of place here; it didn't look like Geoff wanted to fool around at all. Joel's bit seems similar to what Zach Galifianakis and Sung Kang do.

I mean. It's not like Geoff didn't deserve this to happen to him. Joel was great at calling people out.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

2. With the exception of Tim Schaffer and that lone guy at the end, the guests didn't understand how (and weren't prepared) to handle quips and other not-questions that weren't your typical Geoff Keighley softballs. As an aside: I find the Telltale guys acting like they had no idea there was sex in Game of Thrones to be super weird (were they *trying* to bomb?). Anyway, I'm not blaming the devs; I'm blaming the format and how it was all handled. Clearly Joel was allowed to go far more off-rails than they intended, which of course resulted in the guests being completely unprepared and his (totally normal for his show "The Soup," by the way) brand of humor was allowed free reign.

But, yes, I think he still made it better. I chuckled a couple times, and he kept it lighter. Plus, getting to see Geoff bite his lip and grind his teeth in white-hot anger towards the end was great.

The crossed wires were probably that the devs wanted to talk about their game, and Joel wanted to talk about everything except the game. They just announced a Game of Thrones game, and Joel decides to start talking about Treme.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WAAH! He interrupted my 3 hours of ads and marketing (with some awards thrown in).

VirtuaGrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Joel was ok but really whether the hosts were any good is moot when the whole thing is a shit show. Having the GOTY acceptance speech met with a smattering of half hearted applause was an embarrassment. Joel oftentimes being the only one applauding the people there was so cringe worthy. Not one of the developers looked even remotely comfortable being there and it's hard to blame them. The last few years haven't been great but at least it vaguely resembled an awards show, I really can't see how anyone looked at the plans for this thing and thought: 'Yeah, this is what people want.'

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#230  Edited By FluxWaveZ

A bunch of these compilation videos are starting to get made:

Loading Video...

There were some redeeming qualities to Joel's presence that people have mentioned and he did have some pretty good moments such as when he asked Reggie about the other consoles or even when he called out Geoff at the end, but most of it was just so cringe inducing that I can't say I appreciated him being there. Obviously, a show like that isn't meant to be taken seriously because the whole thing's a train wreck, but he just made it worse.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole event was just such a bewilderingly egregious mess. Without that guys cringemaking attempts at humour and gradual descent into dead eyed desperation to be literally anywhere else, it would have just been boring.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#232  Edited By turboman

@turboman said:

I'm copy and pasting what I said in the other thread:

For everyone that hates Joel Mchale:

He plays a Snarky Asshole when he hosts The Soup. If you don't want your host to be a Snarky Asshole, don't hire the Snarky Asshole that hosts The Soup.

That is all.

I don't care about his snark. His constant aweful attempts at humor though...

I DID miss him though, when PewDiePie was on...

I hope you understand that most of his attempts at jokes was him reading the teleprompter for jokes that somebody else had written.

Deckard42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

Exactly, you get snarky asshole when you bring in Joel Mchale, he's a known quantity.

This is the first VGA presentation I watched, so I can't compare it to previous years. But overall it was awful and Joel didn't make it any worse. It would have been worse if Geoff was the sole host because he's so stilted. So much so that near the end I enjoyed it when Joel gave Geoff a bunch of shit about Titanfall and you could see Geoff become perturbed. Joel's jokes were bad at times but not any worse than that horrible hl3/xbox 12 sketch that ran early in the presentation.

Overall it's just a bad presentation and you got the feeling that everyone just wanted it to end. The award presentations fell flat every time because they didn't have an audience. Any time you would be expecting applause all you could hear were five guys in the production crew clapping.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman: Yes. So? I don't care who's fault it was, he was terrible. Wether that is because he is a talentless hack or because he just reads stuff from a teleprompter cause people think he can't come up with something good on his own....not my problem. Not a single line uttered by him was helpfull or funny.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman: Yes. So? I don't care who's fault it was, he was terrible. Wether that is because he is a talentless hack or because he just reads stuff from a teleprompter cause people think he can't come up with something good on his own....not my problem. Not a single line uttered by him was helpfull or funny.

Well if it was lines written for him then it's not his fault he came across as an arsehole....those jokes were also centered around that premise too! He kind of stood no chance if that was the case.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abendlaender said:

Well if it was lines written for him then it's not his fault he came across as an arsehole....those jokes were also centered around that premise too! He kind of stood no chance if that was the case.

Well, even if it's not his fault (I can't imagine every line of dialogue was on a teleprompter) he still was aweful. Obviously it's the fault of the writers then, but still: He made the VGX even worse.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

Joel seemed like the only who knew the show was a shit show from the start.

And that is why he owned.

PsychedelicET

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course not, he acted like a Hollywood brat - completely unprofessional and full of himself, and yet contributing nothing. If that's his "act", then he is even more of a useless loser. Honestly, everyone who worked on that awards show should be fired - if you've ever worked in professional video / production environments, then you saw in 5 minutes that it was truly terrible in every way. Amusing as a train-wreck, but also the definition of everything wrong with the entertainment industry. Can you imagine how much money they spent on that high-school-level schlock? And I bet that uneducated pretty-boy with an ego-complex got the biggest check. If you think this is acceptable you're probably still a kid, and easily-exploitable by those more sophisticated than you. You'll learn soon enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I'm certain that everyone that didn't like Joel takes games way too seriously. It's fucking video games, not the academy awards. Joel McHale did what Joel McHale does, and watching him put Dewrito Pope on the spot was golden.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#240  Edited By benderunit22

Was it the most awkward, worst, embarassing VGA/VGX I've seen yet? Absolutely. Were his jokes and questions unfunny or disrespectful to developers, the audience, the industry, the human race? Without a doubt. Is he to blame it was an absolute shitshow? Probably not.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was probably the worst part about the show.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Honestly, I'm certain that everyone that didn't like Joel takes games way too seriously. It's fucking video games, not the academy awards. Joel McHale did what Joel McHale does, and watching him put Dewrito Pope on the spot was golden.

Good Lord. You are the exact reason this show continues to exist in it's terrible form.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares about video game award shows?

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mannymar said:

I'll say this, if I had been given a shitty script with groan inducing jokes, standing next to a wooden sculpture that only wants scoops for his crappy 3 hour commercial, I think I would have done the same thing Joel did. I mean you could see it on his face every-time there was some crappy joke there was this look of "Really?" Then, man said to himself, "Fuck it, I'm gonna read this shit like I don't give a fuck and make this lifeless production crew suffer through it all."

I'm not saying that was the best approach, but you could tell when games like No Man's Sky, Broken Age, and Dead Light came on he seemed genuinely interested. I mean he was actually trying to get people motivated that they were seeing new shit as he was the only guy clapping, and everyone else could have at least gave a shit at showing some enthusiasm.

For sure. I would feel nothing but shame to have to read those lines in front of thousands of people. I couldn't believe what I was hearing during those first few minutes of the show.

I feel kind of insulted now by their assertion that, "We listened" in response to trying to improve the show. They still based all the humor on bad videogamer stereotypes; old, tired, overused jokes that aren't the least bit clever. You get the sense that the writers only had an outside view of the industry, as there are certainly a million other ways they can make fun of it without resorting to the laziest material.

Avatar image for fishwitheadphones
fishwitheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The writers made that show horrible. Just streams of shitty jokes that played on stereotypes of gamers like cheetos dust and mythical female orgasms. Gamers aren't all basement dwellers and the whole things was god damn offensive.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#246  Edited By Nodima

Yes. I was amazed at how many jokes the video game people let die in the wind because they were unprepared for a good joke. You could see when he was paired with someone with charisma like the No Man's Sky dude that he wasn't making anything awkward. I saw Keighley constantly looking at Joel with a face that said "you're encroaching on the job I've always wanted" and intentionally or awkwardly deflecting his jokes in order to regain control of the show, and most of the guests taking his jokes as a "wait...who are you?" type of thing when he was JUST doing his best to fit in. The whole thing also had a VERY low rent feel which enhanced any awkwardness going on in front of the camera; what was with the fake applause sound effect after an award and asking Geoff and Joel to turn to the crowd for applause?

I was also amazed how often people in the chat reacted strongly to his jokes like he was playing some sort of asshole. It was almost like no one who plays games watches comedy. I felt like I was in an alternate reality, and it's a bummer to wake up today and see more of the same on Jeff and Patrick's tumblrs. Glad to see this poll is ALMOSt 50/50 though.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#247  Edited By ManMadeGod

@hatking said:

I'm so fucking sick of the cynicism that plagues this industry. It was refreshing to see somebody trying to laugh for a change. The problem was that each time he tried to make fun, Geoff shot it down like the show would end if people enjoyed themselves. Hey, asshat, it's an "awards" show. It's not about your fucking scoop. Let these people enjoy themselves. All the whining on Twitter coming from industry people is driving me insane. Why do you people do this? You get no fucking enjoyment out of it.

This. For some reason, the gaming press and a large number of users on this website (and other gaming sites) come off a miserable people. The reason I enjoy listening to the GB crew is that they often have fun playing video games...... even bad ones. I'm going to stop before I go on a rant complaining about people complaining

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The past twelve hours: The same "video game nerds" Joel made was poking fun at, acting exactly like his jokes imply they act.

People need to learn how to take a joke and for the love of all that is good STOP TRYING TO ACT LIKE JOEL NOT BEING THERE WOULD MAKE IT A RESPECTABLE SHOW. Its the VGA/X. Spike TV is involved.

Joel and Odd Future were the only good things about it.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I like Joel but what he did there was terrible and painful to watch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sil3n7 said:

@fluttercry said:

Good Lord. You are the exact reason this show continues to exist in it's terrible form.

No, it's people like you trying to force video games to be art. If it weren't for that, people like Joel couldn't shit all over the show and make you look like fools.