• 59 results
Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5425 posts) -

What: One copy of Bastion for the Xbox 360

Who: U.S. Xbox Live Members

How: Tell me your favorite moment from the Building the Bastion series. Haven't watched any of it? Tell me why.

Ends: 9 PM EST

-------------

Special thanks to Greg Kasavin for offering to provide post-launch codes for a future Giveaway if they ever became available. I told him not to worry about it since I'm already doing this contest (and I think as many people should buy their copy as possible), but the fact that he offered is pretty damn awesome.

Congratulations to Supergiant Games on all their future success. They are very much the type of developers everyone should be supporting, and I look forward to playing the hell out of Bastion over the next few days.

#1 Edited by CharlesAlanRatliff (5425 posts) -

What: One copy of Bastion for the Xbox 360

How: Tell me your favorite moment from the Building the Bastion series. Haven't watched any of it? Tell me why.

Ends: 9 PM EST

-------------

Special thanks to Greg Kasavin for offering to provide post-launch codes for a future Giveaway if they ever became available. I told him not to worry about it since I'm already doing this contest (and I think as many people should buy their copy as possible), but the fact that he offered is pretty damn awesome.

Congratulations to Supergiant Games on all their future success. They are very much the type of developers everyone should be supporting, and I look forward to playing the hell out of Bastion over the next few days.

#2 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I haven't watched any of it because I prefer to experience most games in isolation, partially to unbias my experience and partially to "reverse engineer" them while playing. This doesn't always happen, but I don't go out of my way to find out about games before they come out.

#3 Posted by ShaggE (6455 posts) -

My favorite moment was seeing the pre-alpha build of the game that was made up of placeholder assets. Things like that are endlessly intriguing to me. 

#4 Posted by Joker369 (877 posts) -

I have not watched any yet because i like to go into games pretty cold so that I experience the game myself first hand.

#5 Posted by Danteveli (1186 posts) -

Finale was the best part when they had all the problems with title screen and  MS regulations. It showed real part of game making and thats its not easy road.

#6 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3484 posts) -

I like the part where the Narrator said that thing.

#7 Posted by Falconer (1686 posts) -

I really liked the bit about them taking Jen out for breakfast on her birthday at the end of everything. No matter how many "Behind the Scenes" or "Making of" discs you get with games today, it's small, personal stuff like that you never get to see.

Similar to with all the content that Whiskey Media puts out, getting to know the Supergiant Games people better has made me like them more. And it makes me want to play their game even more. :D

#8 Posted by ky326 (255 posts) -

Seeing them test the achievements for the first time.

#9 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

My favorite part was seeing their house and the conditions in which they made the game, since you don't get to see that in similar behind-the-scenes videos.

#10 Posted by Vitor (2821 posts) -

Everything about the Whip. Curious to see what other crazy weapons made it into the game that were good enough to have them throw that out of the game...

#11 Posted by Multimus_Max (1 posts) -

I'm a huge Legend of Mana fan and I've been waiting a very very long time for a game that might capture the spirit of Legend of Mana. I haven't seen Building the Bastion because after I've seen the first screenshots I decided not to read any previews, reviews or watch a making of instead listening to my gut that told me Bastion is going to be epic. My gut was right, but it's highly ironic that now that Bastion is finally out I'm  broke. It's killing me, so I really hope that Lady Luck is on my side for once. Thank you very very much for doing this!  And a special thank you to Kasavin and his team at Supergiant Games for believing that there is a place for games like Bastion in a world dominated by Call of Duty and co.

#12 Posted by PerfidiousSinn (748 posts) -

I haven't watched any of Building The Bastion (or much of any previews on the game) because I don't want to spoil anything. My expectations for this game are high and I want the experience to be totally fresh.

#13 Posted by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

I'm in Europe but I have a US account that I use for getting stuff from the US marketplace, can I still enter?

I liked the part where they showed us how they furnished the house, set up a christmas tree etc.

#14 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

@Vito_Raliffe said:

:'(

Ah well, will buy it anyway!

#15 Posted by lilarchie232 (728 posts) -

I really enjoyed seeing how the narrator warmed up would warm up with a D & D book and then proceed to speak his lines into a closet. That kinda blew my mind with how jank of a set up they had but managed to pull it off.

#16 Posted by rmanthorp (3949 posts) -

I am not a US Xbox Live Member. However, my favourite moment was the Xbox controller on a table mat so it would scroll through menus for hours to try and find on very specific bug.

#17 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

I don't have a specific moment thats my favorite, but I enjoyed watching the game come together. Always cool taking a peek behind the scenes, seeing the game being debugged and characters running around on grids being tested and what not. Makes me wish more games did stuff like this.

#18 Posted by mixedupzombies (95 posts) -

Actually getting a better feeling for how a game is made beyond silly developer diaries.

#19 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

I loved the part about the rules and regulations they have to check before releasing a game. For example the time limit before a game asks you to interact. I found it very interesting. Also when the showed how the narrator voice acting got done.

#20 Posted by FinalDasa (1744 posts) -

PAX was my favorite moment. Its built up as such a fan focused event its cool to see the hard work the developers go through to put on not only a good demo but to best present their own game, especially when the game is still in development.

#21 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5828 posts) -

I haven't watched any of it because I like to avoid that kind of thing before playing a game.

also I think this would be a good time to use my extra 5 entries :3

#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Even though I don't have a subscription to watch Building the Bastion, I can say that I was surprised when I found out that only three or four people were working on the game.

#23 Posted by ez123 (1965 posts) -

My favorite was the Diablo II rap. Maybe not the best in terms of being a song but it's about the best game ever.

#24 Posted by StargamerX (89 posts) -

I haven't watched it yet to avoid any spoilers for the game, that way I am more surprised the first time I play the game. :)

#25 Posted by Clark (110 posts) -

I loved the last episode where Amir had no clue what to do with himself.

#26 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5425 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: You don't need a subscription to watch those.

#27 Posted by StarFoxA (5157 posts) -

I haven't watched any of it because when I'm interested in a game I prefer to go into it fresh, not knowing anything.

#28 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

I haven't watched any of Building the Bastion because I had realized I wanted to buy the game very, very quickly, and so I avoided coverage of it before release like the plague. However, I totally intend to watch them now that the game is available.

#29 Posted by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -

I loved them taking the sprites from other games during the very original builds of the game, and using them as the enemies. Also when Jen came in and ramped up the artistic vision. Like the comparisons between old and new.

#30 Posted by Undeadpool (4942 posts) -

It's going to sound trite, but I really enjoyed the final episode. It was just so cool seeing it all ACTUALLY come together, and seeing them wrapping up and celebrating. Greg Kasavin always struck me as one of the more stoic members of the Gamespot crew back in the day (I remember his video reviews being very matter-of-fact), so to see him openly joyful and excited was really, really special.

#31 Posted by aurahack (2271 posts) -

The last episode, as seeing it come together really got me thinking and motivated to get working on my own project. The tremendous amount of effort from all of them really payed off and it's inspiring to know that a small group of buddies made that happen.

#32 Posted by FateOfNever (1839 posts) -

It's been a while since I watched it, but, I remember really loving getting to see one of the early early builds for the game where they were just using pictures from old D&D monster manuals for all of the enemies in the game, I got a big kick out of that.  Otherwise, I enjoyed the whole series due to the inside look it gave at how far an idea to come/progress when you put your mind to it.  I think is a helpful reminder that projects, video games or otherwise, can start off incredibly simple looking and held together by hope, determination, and some duct tape, and by the end look absolutely amazing and be a vision completed.  

Think I'm going to go back and watch Building The Bastion again, that really was a good feature thinking back on it now.

#33 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -

I only watched the first two episodes, I kind of just stopped following it after that.

#34 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2054 posts) -

There wasn't so much of a specific moment as it was seeing the game come along throughout the months that I thought was the most interesting.

#35 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

I like seeing the transition of the game with placeholder art and crude animations to the final look. I love the way Jen's art brings the game alive.

#36 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6197 posts) -

I liked the episode where they described the end-of-game procedures, especially getting into what was needed for Microsoft's approval and the odd fun things they did at the end. It was goofy, but also really informative. I like getting a look into the technical side of things that I don't normally hear about.

#37 Edited by Yorick (235 posts) -

I've only seen the first two I think but I liked the first build they showed that was all placeholders. I've never seen anything like that before.

#38 Posted by Zembosis (100 posts) -

I did not watch any of it because I would rather play the game first and then see how it was made :)

#39 Posted by CrazedMaverick (214 posts) -

My favorite moment had nothing to do with the game. But I recognized the Scramblz they went to for Jen's birthday and I found it pretty awesome that they made the game near where i lived.

#40 Posted by jNerd (2012 posts) -

I loved watching the videos of the voice actors reading there lines. I also really enjoyed watching them get frustrated because of the tiny coding errors they had to fix for Microsoft (: I'm glad that they got to communicate w\ MS & get permission to "break" one of there XBLA rules for the games tone.

#41 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

My favorite part was just seeing Greg Kasavin hang out with the Bomb Crew. I always like seeing the old Gamespot team together again.

#42 Posted by ratscats (17 posts) -

I honestly never heard of the game until you posted it here today.

Will have to take at it later.

#43 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -

I enjoyed the part where Jen created a pokey and didn't realize it.

#44 Posted by Nux (2360 posts) -

My favorite moment was seeing the pre-alpha build stuff. It's really cool seeing games in that stage.

#45 Posted by 5ecret5tar5ystem (8 posts) -

Other than a quick glimpse of some of the gameplay I haven't actually sat down and watched any of parts of the Building the Bastion series, simply because I'm the type of person who like to be surprised when the game finally launches. However what really garnered my interest was the art direction for the game, it brought back a lot of pleasant memories back from the RPG SNES days. So if I had anything to take from the series it would be watching some of the gameplay!

#46 Posted by alsnuts2 (674 posts) -

When Greg was looking through his old games like Ultima and Max Payne. He even unrolled his old cloth map. Which was cool to see cause I still have the world map from Final Fantasy 3 (or 6) with World of Balance on the front and World of Ruin on the back. When I played it back in the day I would flip the map on my wall to reflect where i was in the story.

#47 Posted by streetninja (156 posts) -
I didn't watch any of the Building the Bastion series. I usually avoid any previews and interviews with the developers with games that interest me before I play them, because I'd like to go into games knowing as little as possible. This allows me to not have anything spoiled about the game and have a truly fresh experience.
#48 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

Best part of it was the whip. That should have been put in the full game.

#49 Posted by Choffy (443 posts) -

My favorite part was the entire final episode, simply because you could just feel the tension in the air. They knew they were so close, but at the end so many things were out of their control, and you could feel the hopelessness.

Pretty sad those are over. I hope we can have another inside look at the making of a game in the near future.

#50 Posted by decko5 (154 posts) -

when they took their coworker to the breakfast place she had been wanting to go to. it was a very kind gesture for her birthday. awwwww <3