Was kicked out of a Gamestop today. Here's why.

• 187 results
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By FunExplosions

That guy would have been punched in the head if I was there.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152  Edited By eric_buck
@xyzygy: I hate gamestop and EB games. Most of the people who work there are really snobby.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#153  Edited By AgentJ
@Mordukai said:
" Probably some dick employee. I don't work at Gamestop but I have worked in retail for 9 years so I know a thing or two about it. You should report that employee and that store. Just because you told your fiend that he can find it cheaper at another store doesn't mean you can get kicked out of it.  "
This. It's one asshole employee. There's lots of assholes at Gamestops worldwide, but that is not company policy.
AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

customers have the right to price shop.

theres gotta be something more to it. did you curse at someone?

if got kick out jus by telling your friend other store price is cheaper then the employee is beyond douche.

i been to many gamestop and no problem at alll in fact most of it has nice looking female employee that is really helpful. maybe male employee is suck.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#155  Edited By shirogane

EB In Australia, the closest thing to gamestop, actually does price matches to other places, they'll call them up for ya as well. So getting kicked out for that reason makes no sense whatsoever to me. 

And it's not just the price stickers being messed up, i'm quite sure that if you brought the games up to the counter, they'd actually sell them to you for whatever prices are on the stickers, even if it was insanely different. 

Talking about messed up prices, why is it that star ocea 4 limited edition, brand new, is like 30 or so dollars cheaper than a preowned standard edition at EBGames?
DrainDeimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#156  Edited By DrainDeimo

The more I hear story's like this the more I dislike gamestop.

Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#157  Edited By Cadmus
@DrainDeimo:
I dunno, I've never had a bad experience in a gamestop and I shop in at least 5 pretty frequently. 

I think people will only care enough to write their thoughts about gamestop when they want to bash it, but never when gamestop does something right.  That's why you only hear bad things about them.
Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#158  Edited By Matfei90
@xyzygy said:

" Oh yeah I forgot to add my my post, what exactly is a price shopper? I was under the impression that they were people hired or who work for other companies and go into different stores to look at prices, to compare with their own store. But this guy made it seem like just any person can be a price shopper. What if I just want to save my money and not spend it all in one place when I can get the same thing for cheaper somewhere else? "

The way I interpret the language a price-shopper is a consumer who looks at multiple retail outlets to find the best price on a cartain item they want, which is something we're perfectly entitled to.

@Synthballs said:

" Gamespot seems like scummy scum-scum. I'm an Australian so all we have is GAME and EBGames. They're actually quite pleasant places where you shamefully have a nerd conversation. "

We have JB-Hifi too mate. Who most often beat EB (Not sure about GAME) price-wise. Quite a few new games come out at $80, instead of the full $100 there.
raegunz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By raegunz_

ugh. gamestop arseholes strike again.
i work in retail, and we have to "price shop" all the time. it isn't something you can get kicked out for. lame. so, so lame.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#160  Edited By sixghost
@Matfei90 said:
" @xyzygy said:

" Oh yeah I forgot to add my my post, what exactly is a price shopper? I was under the impression that they were people hired or who work for other companies and go into different stores to look at prices, to compare with their own store. But this guy made it seem like just any person can be a price shopper. What if I just want to save my money and not spend it all in one place when I can get the same thing for cheaper somewhere else? "

The way I interpret the language a price-shopper is a consumer who looks at multiple retail outlets to find the best price on a cartain item they want, which is something we're perfectly entitled to.

@Synthballs said:

" Gamespot seems like scummy scum-scum. I'm an Australian so all we have is GAME and EBGames. They're actually quite pleasant places where you shamefully have a nerd conversation. "

We have JB-Hifi too mate. Who most often beat EB (Not sure about GAME) price-wise. Quite a few new games come out at $80, instead of the full $100 there. "
Makes sense why gamestop wouldn't want that.
utamaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By utamaru

Hey guys, just wanted to let y'all know that "price shoppers" (or people who don't want to throw money away) can hardly be called a problem when you live in ze capitalist amerika. 

jmic75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jmic75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By jmic75
@AjayRaz said:

"what the hell? i've never been to gamestop (we only have EB Games in Montreal, so i guess they're about the same) but that's really stupid :\  "

There's a gamestop in the Angrignon shopping mall in Lasalle, also eb and gamestop are the same company :P.

Avatar image for computerplayer1
Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#164  Edited By Computerplayer1
@xyzygy said:
" @CL60 said:
" Was this a gamestop in Halifax? "
Yeah, the new one in Halifax Shopping Centre. If you've ever been there, it was the lanky moron with the beard and shaved head. "
Dude, never thought I'd be hearing about my home town Gamestop lmao. 

I HATE that store, the employees are about as retarded as they come. The same guy you're talking about I saw trying to talk a group of 5 year olds into buying the extended warranty on the game they barely could afford with their pooled money because "they really need it in case the game breaks."
If you're down, I say we just go in there and stand around informing everyone of lower prices everywhere else. He can't do anything about it lol.
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By warxsnake

And that's why I've been buying my games from steam or amazon since either service existed, and of course it doesnt help when a PC gamer goes into a gamestop with archeology gear just to find the PC games.

BenX02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By BenX02

I'm dead serious man, complain, make a scene, do whatever you have to to get that dickwad fired. 

I've had enough of GameStop.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#167  Edited By jakob187
@xyzygy said:
" @Marcsman said:

" What kind of wimp are you to get bullied by a Gamestop employee? Grow a set , and stick  up for yourself sissy.  "

What should I have done then Mr. Macho, started a fight with a Gamestop employee who is much bigger than me in the store with children around? As far as I'm concerned, I did the right thing which is just leaving silently and not making a scene. If you can walk away from something that angers you, it's the sign of a stronger person, rather than going apeshit and looking like a fucktard and causing a commotion."
You say there were children there, right?  Well, then it's simple what you should've done - as he was asking you to leave the store and all that, you should've thrown the game down and started yelling "WHOA!  Dood, you aren't touching me anywhere, you sick bastard!  I can't believe people actually allow their kids to come into this place with a sicko like you behind the counter!" and kept going on about how he was an unregistered child molester...then smiled a shit-eating grin and walked out.  = D 

Nonetheless, it's bullshit that they booted you for being a "price shopper".
BenX02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By BenX02
@SathingtonWaltz said:
" @wolf_blitzer85: I would LOVE to someday own an independent/privately owned game store. The places are hard to come by, especially out here in North Carolina! Gamestop is everywhere out here, and theres just ONE PlayNTrade that I know of. "  

Hey! A fellow North Carolinian! I know exactly how you feel. If you ever start up a store, send me a message, I want in. XD
Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#169  Edited By Kibblez

They should have a price-matching policy, not a kick-someone-out-of-the-store-simply-because-they-want-to-beat-the-competition-and-therefore-punish-the-consumer' policy..

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#170  Edited By SBYM

I've been hearing GameStop horror stories forever and I've yet to actually encounter anything resembling the garbage people talk about. Granted, I'm not saying they're all lies, but I've been buying and trading games with GameStop a long time and nothing remotely bad has ever happened. I walk in, go over to the shelf, pick up a game and buy it, or I walk to the counter and trade something in. No problems, no horrible experiences. Though, to be fair, I'm not one of those people who cries themselves to sleep if someone asks if they'd like to pre-order a game or if they'd be interested in a strategy guide.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#171  Edited By CL60
@Computerplayer1 said:
" @xyzygy said:
" @CL60 said:
Yeah, the new one in Halifax Shopping Centre. If you've ever been there, it was the lanky moron with the beard and shaved head. "
Dude, never thought I'd be hearing about my home town Gamestop lmao.  
There are like 6+ of us on GiantBomb that live around here.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By xyzygy
@Computerplayer1 said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @CL60 said:
Dude, never thought I'd be hearing about my home town Gamestop lmao.   I HATE that store, the employees are about as retarded as they come. The same guy you're talking about I saw trying to talk a group of 5 year olds into buying the extended warranty on the game they barely could afford with their pooled money because "they really need it in case the game breaks." If you're down, I say we just go in there and stand around informing everyone of lower prices everywhere else. He can't do anything about it lol. "
Haha yeah, but we need to stand outside of the store. Then he can't do anything! It's like the hobos on Spring Garden lmao 

@AnnouncerGXZ: Haha, no I didn't curse at someone. I was only talking to my friend. He curses alot, but he wasn't even the one talking and he was't cursing in the store... at least, not that I can recall :P
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@BenX02 said:
" @SathingtonWaltz said:
" @wolf_blitzer85: I would LOVE to someday own an independent/privately owned game store. The places are hard to come by, especially out here in North Carolina! Gamestop is everywhere out here, and theres just ONE PlayNTrade that I know of. "  
 Hey! A fellow North Carolinian! I know exactly how you feel. If you ever start up a store, send me a message, I want in. XD "
You from NC as well? What county?
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#174  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@xyzygy said:
"Can someone who works at a Gamestop attest to this? I'm never going to Gamestop again. "
Where the fuck is End_Boss when you need him ><
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#175  Edited By AndrewB

I'm sure it probably is just a single employee problem, and I've never worked at a Gamestop before, so I'm not sure how store policy is (I've only heard horror stories about it from others), but maybe the mention of Blockbuster, specifically, could have been the problem? Since the two companies are in direct competition, even though Blockbuster is an insignificant speck, at this point, I could see the company being leery of the mention of Blockbuster, and possibly more leery that the company might have hired word-of-mouthers (planting people at Gamestop with the purpose of stealing away business through word of mouth).

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By End_Boss

I just don't understand why GameStop feels the need to be so fuckin' shady all the time. It's like the Ubisoft of game retail.

BenX02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By BenX02
@SathingtonWaltz said:
" @BenX02 said:
" @SathingtonWaltz said:
 Hey! A fellow North Carolinian! I know exactly how you feel. If you ever start up a store, send me a message, I want in. XD "
You from NC as well? What county? "
Guilford County. I live right on the border of Greensboro. What about you?
Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#178  Edited By Renahzor
@cide said:
" @Lard said:
" @Nasar7 said:
" @EpicSteve said:
" I'd recommend to complain to the store manger, or even district manager to stick it to that asshole. "
Seriously. "
Yes.  I think what they did borders on illegal. "
@xyzygy  I know everybody hates Gamestop but the OP was being a total dick. You realize you can get EVERY game at Gamestop cheaper somewhere else, right? Would it be OK to stand outside and interrogate everyone shopping there?   Do you go to McDonald's and do the same? I'm surprised you aren't banned from more places. "
Haha, that's actually one of the most idiotic things I've heard all week!  Congratulations!   

If EVERYTHING from GS is cheaper somewhere else, they should be making up for that in some way, typically better customer service, wider selection (which they have via used games usually) and/or added value for purchase.  If I look over and tell my friend "Hey, Dragon Age was on sale at walmart this week for like 35 bucks, we should check that out before you buy it" they shouldn't remove you from the damn store.  In fact, at a lot of places, you'd probably say "Oh do you have the ad?  Ill see if we can price match that for you!"  I worked retail in my late teens and early twenties, and that's one of the most retarded moves you can pull as a retail employee.   I now do sales for bigger purchases(Home remodeling etc), and If you don't have what the customer needs, its better to simply steer them where they need to go, word of mouth is a powerful business concept.  As seen here, the move of some dumbass kid employee can lower sentiment toward your company in the eyes of many others.  It doesnt even matter that it was just one employee, he specifically told them it was some sort of store policy.  As such, he added some bad word of mouth over some 20.00 sale, yeah, smart move.

My first response would be to ask for a manager, district manager, or franchise owner in the area, and either call them or talk to them on the spot if possible.  Tell them exactly what the employee did, what you were doing, and that you're leaving without incident as requested without buying anything, and won't return.  The asshole would be lucky to have a job the next day.  

And, FYI, Yes I've done that at McDonald's a couple times.  Talking with a friend, he wants some sort of ice cream or some shit before we leave, there's a DQ down the street, I suggest we hit that on the way home.  My suggestion to you would be never get a job in a customer service related industry, I have a feeling you'd struggle mightily.  God forbid you accidentally did this to a franchise hired secret shopper, you'd be out on your ass 30 minutes later.
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@BenX02 said:
" @SathingtonWaltz said:
" @BenX02 said:
" @SathingtonWaltz said:
You from NC as well? What county? "
Guilford County. I live right on the border of Greensboro. What about you? "
Wake County, in a small town called Fuquay-Varina. It's about 30 minutes south of Raleigh.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By harris

I hate retail in general. I almost never buy anything in-store. Steam and amazon pretty much have me covered.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By George_Hukas
@Renahzor said:
" @cide said:
" @Lard said:
" @Nasar7 said:
" @EpicSteve said:
" I'd recommend to complain to the store manger, or even district manager to stick it to that asshole. "
Seriously. "
Yes.  I think what they did borders on illegal. "
@xyzygy  I know everybody hates Gamestop but the OP was being a total dick. You realize you can get EVERY game at Gamestop cheaper somewhere else, right? Would it be OK to stand outside and interrogate everyone shopping there?   Do you go to McDonald's and do the same? I'm surprised you aren't banned from more places. "
Haha, that's actually one of the most idiotic things I've heard all week!  Congratulations!     If EVERYTHING from GS is cheaper somewhere else, they should be making up for that in some way, typically better customer service, wider selection (which they have via used games usually) and/or added value for purchase.  If I look over and tell my friend "Hey, Dragon Age was on sale at walmart this week for like 35 bucks, we should check that out before you buy it" they shouldn't remove you from the damn store.  In fact, at a lot of places, you'd probably say "Oh do you have the ad?  Ill see if we can price match that for you!"  I worked retail in my late teens and early twenties, and that's one of the most retarded moves you can pull as a retail employee.   I now do sales for bigger purchases(Home remodeling etc), and If you don't have what the customer needs, its better to simply steer them where they need to go, word of mouth is a powerful business concept.  As seen here, the move of some dumbass kid employee can lower sentiment toward your company in the eyes of many others.  It doesnt even matter that it was just one employee, he specifically told them it was some sort of store policy.  As such, he added some bad word of mouth over some 20.00 sale, yeah, smart move. My first response would be to ask for a manager, district manager, or franchise owner in the area, and either call them or talk to them on the spot if possible.  Tell them exactly what the employee did, what you were doing, and that you're leaving without incident as requested without buying anything, and won't return.  The asshole would be lucky to have a job the next day.    And, FYI, Yes I've done that at McDonald's a couple times.  Talking with a friend, he wants some sort of ice cream or some shit before we leave, there's a DQ down the street, I suggest we hit that on the way home.  My suggestion to you would be never get a job in a customer service related industry, I have a feeling you'd struggle mightily.  God forbid you accidentally did this to a franchise hired secret shopper, you'd be out on your ass 30 minutes later. "
Everything is cheaper somewhere else but you still go there. My argument is Gamestop fucking sucks what else did the OP expect to happen? I totally agree about the quality of retail sales these days.. but word of mouth hurting Gamestop? You're funny.
vindKtiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By vindKtiv

@cide

Seriously man? You need to learn a few things about friendship. There is absolutely nothing wrong with helping a friend find the best deal, and the worker who thought it was cool just kicking people out of the store he works in really needs to learn his place. That man should be fired.

Anyways, I know a few people who work and GameSpot and they are all pretty cool people to talk to. The few experiences I've had at GameStop weren't too bad. I almost always buy my PC games at retail because it would take forever for my internet to download if I bought from Steam or something.

bdhost05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By bdhost05

yeah i also dislike gamestop. one of my friends traded in his psp there, they majorly ripped him off too cause their trade in prices are absolute crap. buy a game for 30 bucks, trade it in and get 2 bucks of in-store credit.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Weird.
sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#185  Edited By sparklykiss
@Giantsquirrel said:
" You should call up Jesus and send him to hell. "
Seriously, this is the best post here. 

And I feel really sorry for you guys with your crap GameStops. Luckily, I have two that are right by my house. The smaller one is ran by a bunch of asshats and the larger one is ran by the hippest of bros. Since I've been a customer there since the day they opened, I get all kinds of perks. :D Gooo, friendship!
invasionone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#186  Edited By invasionone

I used to work at a retail electronics store. We had this customer pick up an in-store credit card, a laptop, and all the accessories. He then proceeded to go over to Wal Mart to the laptop section, and tell anyone that was there to go to our store down the street, because he just got an amazing deal on that laptop. We were busy with laptop sales all day because of that guy.

You are allowed to do this. Employees are disencouraged to do the same, but as annoying as it might be for a customer to tell others about lower prices elsewhere, you can't tell them to leave. 

Man, I feel weird reading all this shady shit about Gamestop. My local EB is run by half decent people. I can have a conversation with the manager, and there have been several times (ex: Borderlands) where supply is low on a game, and she knows I want it, so she'll call me and put it aside without provocation. Also, this location has been good on keeping games aside for pre-orders, and the like. 

I went to another EB in town, and it was bullshit. Dude was shoving EDGE cards and Warranties and Used copies and Pre-Orders and Magazines down my throat. 

I guess the one that I find good, that's 10 minutes away from my house, is a gem among bullshit.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By ShaunassNZ

You should shoot the cunt.

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Tally_Pants
@xyzygy said:
" @CL60 said:
We have a Gamestop now?!? Is it any different at all from EB Games? (kinda like how Best Buy and Future Shop are "different" stores, yet everything seems to be a couple bucks cheaper at Best Buy :S)
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#189  Edited By Kazona

Call the district manager, and get the guy fired.

Better yet, go to the store again, grab the copy of Afro Samurai, and then as loudly as possible say, "I can't believe this game is 30 bucks here! At Blockbuster you can get it for less than twenty!"