What do you look for in games?

Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Spence_5060

I've always known, for me, what makes a game good and enjoyable is its story. But recently I've come to realize a good soundtrack for the game can help as my second favorite quality.

So what kind of a quality in a game do you look for? Do you look for preciseness in a shooter, or maybe the story and atmosphere like me? Or do you just care about how good the game looks with graphics or art style?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

EVERYTHING.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Naked ladies :P.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By gla55jAw

Fun.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By hexogen

This may be stating the obvious, but the primary thing I usually look for in games is good gameplay. I don't care how great the graphics or story are, if it's not fun to play I won't trudge my way through it just to see what happens next in the story, or gawk at how pretty it is. That said, a great atmosphere can put what would otherwise be a merely good game to me over the top. There's nothing better than when a game can immerse me in its universe with things like attention to detail in the environments, lighting that sets a certain mood, or ambient sounds that make me feel like I'm in a living, breathing world.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6  Edited By natetodamax

A good story mostly. It also helps if the game is really fun.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By inkeiren

A story that isn't atrocious, graphics/ art style, innovation or refinement, and gameplay. Gameplay is only probably 40 percent of why I play a game.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By BeachThunder

Any of these, I suppose (not necessarily in order):

Interesting characters
Interesting settings
A sense of progression
An appropriate learning curve
Problem/puzzle solving
Exploration
Well thought out game design  
Nice visual style
Challengeing but fair gameplay
Emotional (in any sense)
Functional and lacking in bugs/glitches/technical issues.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By HitmanAgent47

gameplay

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

Depends on my mood or if I just bought a new game I'm into. That can cover a wide range of games. Right now I've been playing Super Mario 64 on the VC. I think I'm just bored waiting for my Xbox 360 to get back from the shop, so I can play some more Red Dead Redemption.

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By HS21

Polygons. 

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By DanielJW
@HS21 said:
" Polygons.  "
In boob form, preferably.  

But in seriousness, depends on what I want the game for.  

If I'm looking for a long term, multi-player game, I want something that plays well primarily. Then it has to have some sticking power, usually that's some kind of character advancement or customization system. (i.e. gear, different load-outs, perks)  

If I want something to sit down with, play through once, then be done with it, my criteria is pretty different. Above all the story has to be good, if it can't keep me engaged then I'm not going to bother with it's eleven hour tale. Secondly, if I'm going to be looking at it for upwards of ten hours, I'd like it to look good. Those are really the only two things I want out of a single player experience. Obviously game-play is nice, but I'm willing to put up with a lot of shitty game-play for a good story. 
Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hourai

A good story and memorable music. 

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By JoelTGM

Gameplay and multiplayer.  I like good competitive games, but sadly there hasn't been any for a very long time.  Next on my list would be RPGs, and after that is coop games.

lolicanseeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lolicanseeyou
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" Gameplay and multiplayer.  I like good competitive games, but sadly there hasn't been any for a very long time.  Next on my list would be RPGs, and after that is coop games. "
co-op
coop is where you keep chickens
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Great multiplayer.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By agentboolen

I tend to want a experience that doesn't always look like everything out there, and fun gameplay mechanics.  I also like original concepts.  Online multiplayer also usually impacts how fast i pick up a game, just for the fact that i want to play it with a crowd.  Graphics don't always have to be photo real, a lot of times I just like creative looking graphics that don't look like everything else out there.  In the end there is a lot to look into when investing $50 - $60 for a video game these days.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By napalm
@AlwaysAngry said:
" Great multiplayer. "
This seems dangerous, unless you play only multiplayer-heavy games. 

For me, nothing specific, only that it at least does whatever it's trying to do, mechanically, competent.
Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mono_Listo

I'm an easy man to please when it comes to games. Graphical or audio excellence isn't a must for me, though they help. I care more about my initial reaction to the art and art direction as a whole. I'm also terribly nostalgic, which I guess is what happens when you get old. Which is why I downloaded the new PSN Rocket Knight game as soon as I saw it, played one minute of the demo, then bought it. I'm also a sucker for rare gameplay styles, for example Heavy Rain.

I guess above all I just look for solid gameplay, creativity, and no "cheap AI" shit. You know, like the rubber banding in Blur. Fuck that shit.