What happened to the MGS4 quick look? (Old topic)

• 60 results
ruken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ruken

I remember it was hosted by Jeff and it was a nice long QL. Was it taken down for some reason? Or not make the transfer to the new video player? It's also not on the youtube account...

Would be nice if this could be addressed as I was looking forward to going back and watching it.

Thanks

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By Little_Socrates

I was never aware that there WAS an MGS4 QL, as I thought the first ever QL was of Burnout Bikes, which came out way, way after MGS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nanomachines

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RazielCuts

It didn't survive Ocelot's torture, Meryl died and it went into hiding using the Stealth Suit.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By musubi

Check under the cardboard boxes in the office.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By jay_ray

It died from hunger?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

THE PATRIOTS!

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Quick looks, quick looks have never changed.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By MildMolasses

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been an MGS4 ql. The idea of it being very long seems out of place too. The early ql videos were quite short by the current standards

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By killacam

Kojima's most recent PR move.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Undeadpool  Online

You MIGHT be remembering the MGS4 spoilercast that they did. One of the first ever podcasts I listened to on this site, as a matter of fact.

Jackhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Jackhole
@Undeadpool said:

You MIGHT be remembering the MGS4 spoilercast that they did. One of the first ever podcasts I listened to on this site, as a matter of fact.

I've only played the first Metal Gear Solid and I really liked the batshit crazy parts, but I didn't like playing it. I've owned all of the games for years, but I don't feel like playing any of them. Should I just break and finally listen to the Spoilercast? Its been sitting in my iTunes for 5 years.  

What I'm basically is asking is: Is MGS 2, 3, and 4 > Spoilercast?
FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By FLStyle

@Jackhole said:

@Undeadpool said:

I've only played the first Metal Gear Solid and I really liked the batshit crazy parts, but I didn't like playing it. I've owned all of the games for years, but I don't feel like playing any of them. Should I just break and finally listen to the Spoilercast? Its been sitting in my iTunes for 5 years. What I'm basically is asking is: Is MGS 2, 3, and 4 > Spoilercast?

I don't think it's worth it, one of the main points of MGS4 is to answer questions left unresolved in MGS2 and MGS3. Most of the spoilercast would be lost on you.

ShaolinSpade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShaolinSpade

I have some memory of this too. Maybe it was on On the Spot or something.

Edit: Wait a second, that chronology doesn't check out. SOP!?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Claude

I remember Brad doing a live stream of MGS4.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MiniPato

@Jackhole said:

@Undeadpool said:

I've only played the first Metal Gear Solid and I really liked the batshit crazy parts, but I didn't like playing it. I've owned all of the games for years, but I don't feel like playing any of them. Should I just break and finally listen to the Spoilercast? Its been sitting in my iTunes for 5 years. What I'm basically is asking is: Is MGS 2, 3, and 4 > Spoilercast?

Spoilercasts are really only entertaining if you've played the game they are talking about. Of course I'm only basing this on the only 2 spoilercasts they've ever done, MGS4 and Modern Warfare 2. I've played both games and listened to both casts.

Metal Gear Solid was a PS1 game, it's unfair to expect the later games to play exactly like it. MGS2 is probably the closest to MGS1. But MGS3 and 4 are vastly different and hold up very well today. So my advice it to just play em then listen to the spoilercasts.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17  Edited By Undeadpool  Online

@MiniPato said:

@Jackhole said:

@Undeadpool said:

Spoilercasts are really only entertaining if you've played the game they are talking about. Of course I'm only basing this on the only 2 spoilercasts they've ever done, MGS4 and Modern Warfare 2. I've played both games and listened to both casts.

Metal Gear Solid was a PS1 game, it's unfair to expect the later games to play exactly like it. MGS2 is probably the closest to MGS1. But MGS3 and 4 are vastly different and hold up very well today. So my advice it to just play em then listen to the spoilercasts.

I mean...no, not really. The thing about the spoilercasts, especially the MGS4 one, is that they assume you've already played the game, so there's ZERO effort to contextualize ANYthing they're talking about. 30 minutes in, you're going to be wondering who the fuck Drebin is and why Brad's impression of him is so very spot-on.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By lego_my_eggo

It may have been in one of the game of the year videos and just not linked to the MGS4 page, there are a few old videos like that on here.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By pr1mus
No Caption Provided
BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By BisonHero

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

It may have been in one of the game of the year videos and just not linked to the MGS4 page, there are a few old videos like that on here.

That's just about the only way it's even possible. GB was launching around the time of MGS4, and the oldest "Quick Look" is from July 2008, a month after MGS4 came out. They certainly didn't do any archived MGS4 video at the time of the game's launch, but maybe they ended up revisiting it in some other feature like Game of the Year? In general, the games of 2008 got VERY minimal video coverage from GB because the site proper didn't exist for half the year, and even when it did exist, they weren't quite as committed to video content yet like they were in 2009 and onwards.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Jams

@Ruken said:

I remember it was hosted by Jeff and it was a nice long QL. Was it taken down for some reason? Or not make the transfer to the new video player? It's also not on the youtube account...

Would be nice if this could be addressed as I was looking forward to going back and watching it.

Thanks

I remember it. Wasn't it with Jeff and Vinny? I remember part of it being during where you are in a trench coat right? I remember Vinny or Jeff showing how that mysterious stranger would follow you.

Edit or was Brad in it? I could have sworn they also played during the robot boss battle in the tower.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BisonHero

@Jams said:

@Ruken said:

Thanks

I remember it. Wasn't it with Jeff and Vinny? I remember part of it being during where you are in a trench coat right? I remember Vinny or Jeff showing how that mysterious stranger would follow you.

Edit or was Brad in it? I could have sworn they also played during the robot boss battle in the tower.

If this happened, there is definitely no archived video of it.

It's not in Quick Looks, and I just checked in Features in case there is some other random video where they played MGS4 after release. Definitely not there.

Quick Looks have disappeared before. I know they did a Resistance 2 Quick Look of the co-op multiplayer mode, and I know this because I didn't read one bit of news or reviews about that game, and the only reason I even know it has a co-op mode is from some GB video where they were playing the game with a bunch of the devs. That video existed when I first watched all of the videos in GB's archive, but it seems to be gone now.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jams

@BisonHero said:

@Jams said:

@Ruken said:

Thanks

If this happened, there is definitely no archived video of it.

It's not in Quick Looks, and I just checked in Features in case there is some other random video where they played MGS4 after release. Definitely not there.

Quick Looks have disappeared before. I know they did a Resistance 2 Quick Look of the co-op multiplayer mode, and I know this because I didn't read one bit of news or reviews about that game, and the only reason I even know it has a co-op mode is from some GB video where they were playing the game with a bunch of the devs. That video existed when I first watched all of the videos in GB's archive, but it seems to be gone now.

Well I know they did a format change a while ago where they had to convert old videos so maybe it was lost in that process.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By McGhee

I don't think it was MGS4 but I seem to remember that there was an older QL that was taken down (for unknown reasons to me). I just can't remember which one it was.

Special_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Special_K

The La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo??!

I'm now having vague memories of them running around in Act 3 with the trench coat and the whistling guy. Did it ever really exist?

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely remember the dudes having a video of some sort of them playing MGS4 and I also believe I recall them playing the trench coat part.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Samaritan

It wasn't a QL, but I definitely remember there having been some live-streamed content way back in the early, early days of the website that never made its way into an archive of any kind. I can't remember what game it was, but if you told me it was of MGS4, I wouldn't be able to honestly disagree.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By halberdierv2

Giantbomb got hacked by the La Le Lu Le Lo.

k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By k9

There are quite a few videos that have never been archived on the site. The xbox 1 shutting down video stream for example has never been made available here. And I can say with 100% certainty that there was a MGS4 video with GB folks commentating over it. I just can't remember if it was in the form of a quick look or a livestream. Nevertheless, there doesn't seem to be a backup copy of that video anywhere on the net.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FCKSNAP

@Dallas_Raines said:

Quick looks, quick looks have never changed.

Fallout was a fine game but I prefer Metal Gear.

Quick Looks have changed.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Driadon

Yep, as repeatedly said, it was a live stream, not a quick look. It was hosted on Justin.TV...I think... and all that archive is gone.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JZ

Mecha kojima http://www.metalgearsolidtv.com/2013/01/kojima-pro-cool-play-arts-kai-kojima.html

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#34  Edited By Raven10

@Driadon said:

Yep, as repeatedly said, it was a live stream, not a quick look. It was hosted on Justin.TV...I think... and all that archive is gone.

Yup. Quick Looks did not exist at the point this game came out.

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@Jams said:

@Ruken said:

Thanks

Holy shit! I forgot about that video, you're right about the Noir bit being 'QLooked' by Brad and CO. I bet the people posting at the start of this thread feel silly now.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ThunderSlash

@McGhee said:

I don't think it was MGS4 but I seem to remember that there was an older QL that was taken down (for unknown reasons to me). I just can't remember which one it was.

Probably the Lost and the Damned QL?

Freezer_Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Freezer_Burn
@ThunderSlash said:

@McGhee said:

While not really relevant to MGS, the guys had posted the Lost and Damned Quick Look on the beta site, but it seems to have been taken down, again.
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@Freezer_Burn said:

@ThunderSlash said:

@McGhee said:

While not really relevant to MGS, the guys had posted the Lost and Damned Quick Look on the beta site, but it seems to have been taken down, again.

Good thing I saved a copy of it to my HDD. They can never take it away from me!

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lashe

I'm pretty sure it was a GOTY video, no?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By Snail

@OllyOxenFree said:

@Freezer_Burn said:

@ThunderSlash said:

@McGhee said:

Good thing I saved a copy of it to my HDD. They can never take it away from me!

Why was it taken down?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BisonHero

@Lashe said:

I'm pretty sure it was a GOTY video, no?

Their GotY videos from 2008 did not have any gameplay in them at all. I checked earlier. Each one is just like 3 minutes of them talking in front of a green screen. As everyone else is saying, it sounds like it was a livestream that was never archived.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lashe

@BisonHero: Yeah I just checked there too. Strange. I'm pretty sure I remember it being Brad-led. He freaked out about how it transitioned from cutscene to gameplay multiple times. It's still pretty impressive tech mind you.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Benny

The classic quick look disposal facility on shadow moses island, was attacked and captured by next generation special forces.

They're demanding that CBSi turn over the remains of the MGS4 quick look, and they say if their demands are not met within 24 hours, they'll re-launch rivalvideogamewebsite.com

Think it was probably a live stream though.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By face15

I distinctly remember it also, except I wasn't using the site in 2008. If it was a live stream it must have at least been archived for some time.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BisonHero

@face15 said:

I distinctly remember it also, except I wasn't using the site in 2008. If it was a live stream it must have at least been archived for some time.

This just raises more questions.

First of all, if we assume they livestreamed it sometime in 2008, why? How? I know when GB launched it did have a fair number of followers that came over from Gamespot, but was it really enough that they did livestreams in the first 6 months that more than a couple hundred people watched?

Secondly, say you're right and they did the livestream after 2008. Now I find it easier to believe they'd have enough of an audience to do a livestream, but why were they livestreaming MGS4 so long after release?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ShaggE

It was recorded in 2002, but to avoid certain probing questions regarding anachronism by the government, it was destroyed.

Err, I mean, the opposite of what I just said. ... I need to go lay low for a while.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lashe

@ShaggE said:

It was recorded in 2002, but to avoid certain probing questions regarding anachronism by the government, it was destroyed.

Err, I mean, the opposite of what I just said. ... I need to go lay low for a while.

You mean you have to La-Li-Lu-Lay-Low for a while?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ShaggE

@Lashe: La-li-lu-le-NO. Bad Lashe! Bad! Look at what you did!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BisonHero

@ShaggE said:

@Lashe: La-li-lu-le-NO. Bad Lashe! Bad! Look at what you did!

God, I want to say that term is the single dumbest aspect of MGS2, but I can't even say that with any amount of confidence, because there are so many other potential candidates.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By tebbit

@Lashe said:

@ShaggE said:

You mean you have to La-Li-Lu-Lay-Low for a while?

*drops mic*