What if gaming scenarios?

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By wwfundertaker

Let your brains think about the following statements. 

• What if the ps2 was delayed, would the dreamcast have been successful?
  • What if online console gaming didnt happen, would modern warfare be a success?
  • What if the ps2 was a failure and xbox sold 140 million units, would that mean the ps3 would have been released early?

Just want to everyones opinion on this.
Avatar image for psyborg0815--DEFUNCT
psyborg0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By psyborg0815

Maybe.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By alexl86
  • Probably not, but the Xbox and Gamecube may have done better.
  • If consoles couldn't play online, Modern Warfare wouldn't exist
  • A more interesting question is, would it be any different? I doubt it would have a blu-ray player or as high a price point. Maybe it would've been the market leader.
damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By damswedon

is online gaming on consoles didn't exist the Call of Duty games would still be great online PC games.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Jeust
@wwfundertaker:  

if the ps2 had tanked maybe it would have been the best for sony.  

As this generation would have been planned much more carefully, and better.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
@wwfundertaker said:

• Not sure, but I'm leaning on "no", simply based on the butt-wire on the controller.
  • Online gaming was inevitable, so I consider this question moot.
  • Again, not quite sure.

A few more:

• What if Sony and Nintendo went through with their CD-based add-on?
  • What if Sega spent more time working on the Sega Saturn?
  • What if Atari actually took some damn control over what games were released in the early 80s?
spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By spankingaddict
@wwfundertaker said:
" Let your brains think about the following statements. 

• What if the ps2 was delayed, would the dreamcast have been successful?
  • What if online console gaming didnt happen, would modern warfare be a success?
  • What if the ps2 was a failure and xbox sold 140 million units, would that mean the ps3 would have been released early?
 Just want to everyones opinion on this. "
no i dont want to think that much noooooooooooo...
@Video_Game_King said:
" @wwfundertaker said:

• Not sure, but I'm leaning on "no", simply based on the butt-wire on the controller.
  • Online gaming was inevitable, so I consider this question moot.
  • Again, not quite sure.

A few more:

• What if Sony and Nintendo went through with their CD-based add-on?
  • What if Sega spent more time working on the Sega Saturn?
  • What if Atari actually took some damn control over what games were released in the early 80s?
"

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By HitmanAgent47

If they used a 512mb gpu for the ps3 instead of a 7800RSX 256mb gpu, would all multiplatform finally be equal or better than the xbox360 texture wise?

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By baconbits33

I got one for you guys: What if the Microsoft hadn't screwed over Sony when making the technology for the Xbox 360? Would Sony had released their console at the same time? Would they both be almost the exact same? Or do you think just maybe, that the two would of released a joint console.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikkaQ
  1. This question makes me sad, and want to shed a tear for sega. If only, if only...
  2. Yes, the singleplayer mode would be like 20-30 hours long, and be even MORE EPIC. YES. More epic than getting nuked.
  3. Eeerrrr probably... I dunno. The PS2's success made Sony very pretentious "Gamers don't need vibration, centralized online service or wacky motion gimmicks", and that hindered their success this gen
  4. If sony and nintendo went throug... good god in hell that would just be nuts. Can't even wrap around that one. EVERYTHING WOULD BE DIFFERENT!
  5. Like a year or so more? And loads more ads for it/attention given? T'would have been my N64 probably.
  6. We would have avoided the crash, and probably would be 5 years ahead of where we are in sheer game design prowess.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By eroticfishcake

I feel like my brain is about to melt. There's a lot of "What if..." moments to really think would could possibly happen.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

I wouldn't have to use the set bounty command on guards.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By sjschmidt93

I got one: 

What if Super Mario Bros. wasn't created? 

Or even better: 

What if Shigeru Miyamoto's mommy would've died in a car crash when she was pregnant, would gaming be where it is today?

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By flaminghobo
  • Maybe, it could've followed the same route to the Atari 2600 due to lack of quality games. I'm not saying that the line-up of games during it's lifetime was poor, I'm saying that in the near future there could've been some dire games.
  • Modern Warfare would probably still be as successful, if not more on the PC.
  • I doubt it, Sony might have abandoned the platform altogether. Though that is an interesting question, I must say.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Diamond

If they had used a 512mb gpu for the ps3 instead of a 7800RSX 256mb gpu, PS3 would have cost probably another $100 off the bat, sales would have been even lower.  A handful of developers would have made higher res textures for PS3, Uncharted for example would look that much better.  However, they'd still be focusing on 360 because 360 sales would have been as much higher as PS3 lower because of the cost.

Sorry HM, I forget, remaking the post so I don't do a direct reply.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17  Edited By damnboyadvance
  • If the PS2 was delayed, the Xbox probably would be out a little bit later. Would Dreamcast win? Maybe once, but then it would fail again.
  • If there was no online gaming, Modern Warfare would've probably lost nearly half of it's popularity.
  • A better question would be if the PS2 failed, would we see a new SEGA system?
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikkaQ
@SJSchmidt93:  

Probably be much different,  they needed him to revitalize the games after the atari mess, which should be fixed in this fucked up alternate universe proposed here, I don't think the impact would have been major, and people would realize his games are too simple. I don't even like his design aesthetic, once again, too simple. simple can be good, but if it becomes a formula for all your games over the next 25 years, then you are an overrated son of a bitch. And he showed how little's grown as a dev with Wii Music. 

ugh
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By FluxWaveZ

These things never work because there are so many factors that are in relation with each event that we couldn't even imagine what would happen next.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By iam3green

maybe, there would not be as much hype for games. there would be more split screen. maybe on the next answer.

ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ryno9881
@Jeust: Yeah because sony didn't plan...
microsofts console was a train wreck when it came out. no HDD; it wasn't even a next gen console other than the fact that it had better graphics than its previous console. Yeah microsofts doing better now but with all the problems the 360 has, you could say what you said about sony and microsoft.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Jeust
@RYNO9881 said:
" @Jeust: Yeah because sony didn't plan... microsofts console was a train wreck when it came out. no HDD; it wasn't even a next gen console other than the fact that it had better graphics than its previous console. Yeah microsofts doing better now but with all the problems the 360 has, you could say what you said about sony and microsoft. "
True :)  

But if xbox 360 failed i don't know if we'd ever see another xbox console. 

But as sony didn't lay down and die, microsoft from here on forwards will be very careful about sony.  

So the quality of the consoles should get better, like it did till now with the jasper hardware. 

But let's wait and see... 

A new round has just started with the ps3 price drop.