What is a "Fanboy" by your definition?

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By metalmoog

I ask because I always see PS3 supporters called "Fanboys", but don't often see the PS3 crowd slagging the 360 kids as "Fanboys". I play on both systems, and as an intelligent rational human being, see that both systems have their pros and cons. 

I don't think being a Fanboy is a bad thing, we all tend to be mildly obsessed with one thing or another. But the way it's thrown around in a derogatory manner, meant to invalidate someone's opinion based on their love for a particular product is weak sauce. Honestly who gives two shits if Jimmy loves his PS3 or Xbox 360 more than anything in this world? Is his opinion really invalid? I mean after all it is just an opinion right?

Isn't everyone entitled to having one?

So I ask you fellow gamers, what do you consider a "Fanboy" and do you or do you not think it's a negative label?

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By raidingkvatch

Obsessive beyond reason, fanboys feel the need to berate "opposition" for no reason, and will attack anyone who criticises the thing they love.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By LackingSaint

I'd probably say Fanboys are obsessive to the point that they cannot accept fault with their chosen object of affection.

zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By zidane_24

To me, a fanboy is someone who is so set in their idea that something is great, that they will straight up ignore any legitimate issues people have with the thing they love.  

Basically, they're people that say "this thing is great and perfect, and everything bad you say about it is dumb."

PDC_Emulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By PDC_Emulator

Fans, minus the brainwaves

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jack268

Someone who doesn't think Xbox 360 is superior in every way. 

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By LackingSaint
@PDC_Emulator said:
" Fans, minus the brainwaves "
This definition is perfect, and I will accept no criticism or ill will towards it.
RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By RVonE

To me a fanboy is a concept employed by narcissistic people who can't handle the fact that not everyone shares their point of view. It is an empty concept that functions as a technique of silencing the opposition by framing this opposing force as one that cannot be reasoned with and, therefor, should not be taken seriously.
metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By metalmoog

So why do PS3 users get labeled as Fanboys far more frequently than 360 ones? It's it because the peg fits or because majority rules?

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bravetoaster

Someone so obsessed and passionate about a game/system/franchise that they refuse to believe that something else is better. 

Yeah. my definition sucks.

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CptPanda29
@MetalMoog: Majority rules - I just have a 360 but I've nothing against the PS3, just spout the BS arguments from 360 fanboys to annoy my manager. 

As for the OP, anyone who refuses to aknowladge that something may be at least equal to whatever they obsess over. They also tend to steer conversations towards whatever console / game / thing they love / hate.
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Undeadpool
@MetalMoog: I've actually been trying to turn "fanboy" into a full-on pejorative and it's been surprisingly easy. I define it as someone who irrationally enjoys something and cannot possibly see the merit in an alternative. The person cannot be reasoned with, even when presented with evidence. I'll avoid any specific examples as I'd rather not turn this into a flame thread, but overall I'd say the PS3 users get called fanboys more simply because 360 users get called fratboys more. It makes sense when you look at the demographics for both user bases (PS3 tends to get more Japanese games, more "geek" games whereas 360 tends to get more "me like shoot dudes"-types of games).
metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By metalmoog
@Jack268 said:
" Someone who doesn't think Xbox 360 is superior in every way.  "
Lol, and here is our first Fanboy example.
FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By FreakAche

I personally hate the word fanboy. I also think that most forum users who get referred to as "fanboys" are actually trolls trying to get attention. Of course, people always stupidly fall for these attempts and think that said trolls are dead serious.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By metalmoog

Tons of good definitions here, thanks for helping me understand what a Fanboy is guys.  I don't want this to become a system flame war, because I'm sitting on the fence on that debate. 360, PS3, both excellent.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ghostiet
@LackingSaint said:
" @PDC_Emulator said:
" Fans, minus the brainwaves "
This definition is perfect, and I will accept no criticism or ill will towards it. "
Jeez, what a fanboy.
slider7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By slider7

Fanboys are the dudes with apples on their computers. 
Ooops, here we go again! 
j/k 
It's just about anyone who perceives more value than there really is in something, and then sticking to it even though you objectively explain to them why they're wrong.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jack268
@MetalMoog: I was joking btw. I have both a PS3 and a 360 and I like them equally. 

A fanboy is a person who can only see the good sides of his object of affection and when this object is criticised he'll pull any argument out of his ass to protect it.
Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Arker101
@RVonE said:
"To me a fanboy is a concept employed by narcissistic people who can't handle the fact that not everyone shares their point of view. It is an empty concept that functions as a technique of silencing the opposition by framing this opposing force as one that cannot be reasoned with and, therefor, should not be taken seriously. "

Perfect!
Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Grillbar
@raidingkvatch said:
"Obsessive beyond reason, fanboys feel the need to berate "opposition" for no reason, and will attack anyone who criticises the thing they love. "

what he said
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince

The negative connotation of the word fanboy comes from the fact that certain people are contrarian and will defend their item of choice and hate on the other item with no valid reason for doing so. For example:

360 is the best, and PS3 sucks.
Why?
Because...
But it has Blu-ray, and that's pretty cool.
LOLOL Blu-ray SUXSSSSORZ
Oh...

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By MikkaQ

People who can't notice the flaws in the objects of their own obsession. 

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By ProfessorEss

To be honest, I see the term "fanboy" used as an argument against someone who likes something when the person who doesn't like that thing has no legitimate argument to make more than I see actual fanboys.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Someone who is strongly attached to something to the point of defending it unconditionally, feeling they have to justify their opinion by frequently and forcefully making it clear to others, and actively bad-mouthing all potential opposition to the thing they are attached to with little to no regards for constructive debate.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ryanwho

If you like what I don't like you're a fanboy. If you don't like what I like, you're a hater. And I have clever pictures to respond to you with.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#26  Edited By Yummylee
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By ProfessorEss
@Gamer_152 said:

" Someone who is strongly attached to something to the point of defending it unconditionally, feeling they have to justify their opinion by frequently and forcefully making it clear to others, and actively bad-mouthing all potential opposition to the thing they are attached to with little to no regards for constructive debate. "

It's funny because in the sports world we just call that "being a fan", and it's typically used in a positive light.

I mean, I hate the Ottawa Senators and have no logic to back up that hate, but I respect anyone who loves the Sens enough to get red-in-the-face mad at me for hating them. :)
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ryanwho

Sports are just the modern civilized man's surrogate for regional warfare.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Abyssfull said:
" This guy. "
Boom! This thread just got a lot more interesting. *makes popcorn*
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mfpantst
@ProfessorEss: So I'm from down in Washington, DC where the redskins are a big thing.  I'm not a fan, I'm a fan of another team.  But what I see from the fans in this area is even though they are all totally die-hard, they are realistic about their team (when good or when bad).  One of the radio programs I listen to has 'fans' like this.  When someone calls into their show and spouts off some considerably deluded 'fanboy' comment, they're quick to go to the numbers and facts, rather than just how they or anyone else feels about the Redskins.  For me- the people who are like the announcers are 'fans'.  The callers who get all excited and cite not-real facts are 'fanboys'

For example- an xbox fanboy might say that the xbox is a simple, effecient and powerful platform for which more AAA games are available, and when available on the 360, are better (ignoring hardware issues, an expensive LIVE system, and ruthless dlc policing by M-soft)

A sony fanboy may say that the PS3 is the more powerful system, has blu-ray, has a free-er online system, and is more reliable (ignoring price issues, design complexity, and Sony's love of PR)

My point is that fanboys tend to overlook weaknesses.  Also- to your sports analogy, opposing sports teams are intended to be competitors.  You can't like both the Eagles and the Redskins, or the Patriots and the Jets, or the Yankees and Red Sox.  That's illogical.  You can buy both a playstation and an xbox.  And that's logical, and if you had the means (and didn't already own a Blu Ray player) somewhat reccomended (depending on taste in games).  So I think video game fanboy-ism is even more illogical because the competition doesn't work in the same way that sports competition does.  It's a win for both Msoft and Sony if you buy both, and a loss for neither.     
Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gaff
@Jack268: DANGER! DANGER! 

Whoops, sorry. I've developed an aversion to sentences that can boil down to "I've got all the 3 systems, but...". Now excuse me while I extract my knee from the bottom of my desk.
Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jack268
@Gaff: I said "and" not "but"
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Romination

Fanboys are the people who follow something through the thick and thin. They get irate when something goes through a hard period, but they stay with it no matter what.  

However, a lot of them, a subsect called the Annoying Fanboy, who gets all in everyone's face about it and give the fanboy a bad name.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Djeffers03

Yo fuk u ps3 suckz itz 4 japanese f@gs, xbox iz the best console eva, look at the xclusivz: Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo odst, Halo reach n mutha fukkin gears fags! 

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gaff
@Jack268: I know. Stupid knee jerk reactions. my poor desk :(
ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ShockD

I don't know why everybody associates the word with something negative.

I don't find anything bad in being a fanboy. Everybody has his own choice and preferences.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Grillbar
@MetalMoog said:
"So why do PS3 users get labeled as Fanboys far more frequently than 360 ones? It's it because the peg fits or because majority rules? "

the way i see it is just that the 360 have more users its a bigger seller. 
so by definition there are more asholes allso there are more kids on the 360 since the console is cheaper so parents are more likely to buy that instead of the ps3. 
thats my 2 cents