What is Giant Bomb's most controversial review?

• 111 results
Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By SuperWristBands

@Napalm said:

@Icemael said:

@Napalm said:

Jeff's BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger and King Of Fighters XII review, because all of the runoff of the insufferable fanboys who couldn't get enough bitching for the BBCT score, decided to muck up the KOFXII review by complaining it also got a three/five stars. And who cares about BlazBlue now? Absolutely nobody.

Uh... what? BlazBlue is quite popular amongst fighting game players.

No it isn't. It wasn't at Evolution 2012 because of an embarrassingly low player turnout.

Not all fighting game players are pro players (obviously you know that). There are plenty who will still enjoy it for its terribly convoluted, dumb and crazy anime plot and characters. These people will not necessarily show up at a pro fighting game tournament but still care about and purchase new titles.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#52  Edited By Dagbiker

Diablo 3 had a pretty bad reception.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#53  Edited By Icemael
@Napalm said:

@Icemael said:

@Napalm said:

Jeff's BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger and King Of Fighters XII review, because all of the runoff of the insufferable fanboys who couldn't get enough bitching for the BBCT score, decided to muck up the KOFXII review by complaining it also got a three/five stars. And who cares about BlazBlue now? Absolutely nobody.

Uh... what? BlazBlue is quite popular amongst fighting game players.

No it isn't. It wasn't at Evolution 2012 because of an embarrassingly low player turnout.

EVO is a six-game event. Capcom's three latest games automatically got in because they're Capcom games, and Soul Calibur V got in because you have to have a 3D game. That leaves two spots for non-Capcom 2D fighters. And because BlazBlue didn't get one of these two spots, "nobody cares about it"? Really?

Outside of Capcom games and to a lesser extent MK9, fighting games is a very niche genre, and in the context of this niche BlazBlue has done very well for itself. You want to talk about games no one cares about, talk about Arcana Heart 3 et al.
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#54  Edited By Hizang

Mario Kart Wii, I mean only 3 stars COME ON!

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By Wraith1

The only review that comes to mind is the Catherine review

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#56  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Lost Planet 2 is pretty infamous, but I think it's more because it led to the dissolution of the Wii Defense Force than anything else. Probably Blazblue or Catherine, just as everyone has said. I dunno, if we want to talk about semi-controversy, some people still seem baffled that Patrick gave Dragon's Dogma 3 stars despite being quite positive towards it.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By Damian

Five stars for MK vs. DCU. It didn't cause as big a shit-storm as some others, but damn. Jeff was asking for it on that one.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By randyf

I'm guessing Mass Effect 3 only getting four stars probably got some heat. I didn't read the comments, though.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#59  Edited By Trilogy

Oh god, why did you guys have to go remind me of the Lost Planet 2 debacle. Bleh...

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I'm not sure, but man, remembering all the people bitching over these reviews is just depressing.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#61  Edited By Atlas

Comparing review scores is dumb. I acknowledge that as a responsible human being. That said...Soul Calibur IV got three stars from Jeff and a few months later MK vs. DC got 5 stars. I wasn't too happy about that back in the day - loved me the shit out of SCIV, and I never liked MK and a crossover with comic book characters held zero appeal for me.

Personal answer, I know. Hard to argue with Catherine and Lost Planet 2. Wasn't there also a Wii review that got Nintendo fans up in arms, leading to a number of bans?

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62  Edited By VisariLoyalist

just the one I personally disagree with the most: the Syndicate review. That game was buggy, short, boring. That game's multiplayer became impossible to play at some point due to freezing on every auto save (which it did all the time especially in multiplayer). The multiplayer also even without having broken on me was forgettable as was the gameplay in general and I don't see how one could see it as a good value at all after the first crap run through the levels you really want to grind them again? I understand why jeff liked the game I suppose I just think he lost perspective on his whole "reviews should help people make buying decisions" thing, syndicate is the one review that has left me most unhappy with giantbomb's service in that regard. I actually only heard about and only bought syndicate because of that review and I have to say it was a major waste of 60$.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By kishinfoulux

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

But Catherine sucks...

This seriously.

Sless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Sless

I bought (and really enjoyed) Catherine because of Jeff's 2-star review.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By JaredA

Patrick's Skyward Sword review. The comments got pretty... heated.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#66  Edited By Liquidus

@Barrabas said:

@Napalm said:

I do. I love that game. In fact I'd put its sequel down as one of the top 3 fighting games this generation (along with SSFIV and MK9). KoF XII was super bad though. People saying otherwise are crazy.

Anyway, I never really understood why people get so incensed over bad review scores for games/series they like. It shouldn't impact your enjoyment of the game at all. It's never bothered me when a reviewer didn't like a game that I enjoyed.

Same here. I bought Catherine after hearing how much Jeff disliked it and I loved it. I can admit, it's flaws for sure but it certainly was an enjoyable experience for me.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#67  Edited By Liquidus

@RandyF said:

I'm guessing Mass Effect 3 only getting four stars probably got some heat. I didn't read the comments, though.

Nah, it was probably the opposite. People could not shut up about how terrible that game was for about 2 months. I felt it was a disappointment but man, didn't complain about it for 2 months.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By jayjonesjunior

@Barrabas said:

@Napalm said:

I do. I love that game. In fact I'd put its sequel down as one of the top 3 fighting games this generation (along with SSFIV and MK9). KoF XII was super bad though. People saying otherwise are crazy.

Anyway, I never really understood why people get so incensed over bad review scores for games/series they like. It shouldn't impact your enjoyment of the game at all. It's never bothered me when a reviewer didn't like a game that I enjoyed.

What i don't understand is why people read/watch reviews of games they already own.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By toowalrus

I can't really say, I generally don't let one person's opinion on a game bother me. I'm more disappointed when they won't even finish a game and give it a proper review- like Brad with FFXIII-2 (though I guess we all know how that would've turned out, anyway).

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#70  Edited By ShinjiEx

Catherine got 2 out 5... Oh okay it's official the Resident Evil 6 review is now irrelevant.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#71  Edited By Zekhariah

The syndicate one comes to mind to me. Negative scores tend to get the most press, but it did stand out apart from most of the rest of the... critical consensus?.... I guess..

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#72  Edited By Barrabas

@jayjonesjunior said:

@Barrabas said:

@Napalm said:

What i don't understand is why people read/watch reviews of games they already own.

I've never really thought about that. I guess I just like to see what other people think about games I like. Maybe it is a little weird when you break it down.

epgpx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By epgpx

@GnaTSoL said:

Forget the reviews! That vomit of a article Patrick wrote about feeling like a pussy infront of boothbabes has to be the dumbest thing I ever read. Don't fear boobs, whereever they may be.

Hahaha. I thought the same thing too when I read that piece. I never understood his logic why he thought the profession or employ those independent women chose was degrading twards women or men. I remember just laughing at the article and just smh. I guess hes anti-feminist. lol. But I guess if it made him uncomfortable around the idea of women being used legally as tools to promote video games was demoralizing to him and his brethren of video gamers made his argument somewhat legitimate and palpable to those who couldn't embrace the boothbabe ideolgy. Perhaps he thinks their the better men for thinking as such. I could just compare the cosplay movement thats hugely popular as another exmple why I think his way of thinking is silly. ...or how about the beach clad bikinis babes who thrive on showing skin. I mean it's just skin and nothing more...right? So what, they're trying to sell us products. Thats capitalism. Anyways. I could care less of what anybody thinks of that situation. Independent women will gladly do whatever they think is right and good for them. Let's not make it anymore difficult for them.

As for video game reviews. I don't believe in scores but believe in constructive criticism. I'm all for that. Even though I never read reviews because I like to play and try games by myself. Although, sometimes I'll read a review after I play or finish a game just to see what the reviewer thought and if differences were abound. But, clearly there is a market for this "evaluating score" stuff that the industry feeds into and its sad. As long as websites continue to do the same and offer numerical scores or star rating systems, etc. and don't offer bold change and lead by example. Nothing will ever change... but on the plus side, the inherent squabble over low scores makes for entertaining fluff that feeds the hordes of fanboys all over the internet and thats free marketing you can't buy.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#74  Edited By triple07

Wait what the fuck happened with the Catherine review? I never pay attention to any of the comments on reviews (or reviews for the most part). Anyone want to enlighten me?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#75  Edited By Hailinel

@triple07 said:

Wait what the fuck happened with the Catherine review? I never pay attention to any of the comments on reviews (or reviews for the most part). Anyone want to enlighten me?

Jeff reviewed it despite his stated dislike of block puzzles. He also thought Vincent is an unrealistic character despite the fact that he was intentionally written as an emotionally indecisive adult afraid of commitment, which many adults are in real life.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#76  Edited By TheHBK

jeff was right about catherine

jeff was right about Twilight Princess.

Jeff was right about Nights (amazed how few people listened especially since Super Mario 64 came out shortly after it)

and Brad is right about RE6. No controversy for me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#77  Edited By Hailinel

@TheHBK said:

jeff was right about catherine

jeff was right about Twilight Princess.

Jeff was right about Nights (amazed how few people listened especially since Super Mario 64 came out shortly after it)

and Brad is right about RE6. No controversy for me.

You say these things without explaining how or why he's right on any of these items.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By algertman

Diablo 3 5/5 - Bullshit

Mortal Kombat Vita 5/5 - Bullshit

GTA IV 5/5 - Bullshit

Mortal Kombat v. DC 5/5 - Bullshit.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#79  Edited By InfiniteGeass

For me personally? Catherine.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By DeShawn2ks

It is hard for me to say when it comes to this website. The Giantbomb community seems to be a bit more tamed when it comes to other websites. We do have our fair share of crazies but I can't even remember the last time I read something that was way out there on here. Even when someone disagrees on a review they usually just say that and maybe they are enjoying the game.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#81  Edited By EpicSteve

They generally do a solid job at picking the appropriate guy on staff to review a game. I can't remember a specific instance when I completely disagreed with a review on this site.

@EPGPX said:

@GnaTSoL said:

Forget the reviews! That vomit of a article Patrick wrote about feeling like a pussy infront of boothbabes has to be the dumbest thing I ever read. Don't fear boobs, whereever they may be.

Hahaha. I thought the same thing too when I read that piece. I never understood his logic why he thought the profession or employ those independent women chose was degrading twards women or men. I remember just laughing at the article and just smh. I guess hes anti-feminist. lol. But I guess if it made him uncomfortable around the idea of women being used legally as tools to promote video games was demoralizing to him and his brethren of video gamers made his argument somewhat legitimate and palpable to those who couldn't embrace the boothbabe ideolgy. Perhaps he thinks their the better men for thinking as such. I could just compare the cosplay movement thats hugely popular as another exmple why I think his way of thinking is silly. ...or how about the beach clad bikinis babes who thrive on showing skin. I mean it's just skin and nothing more...right? So what, they're trying to sell us products. Thats capitalism. Anyways. I could care less of what anybody thinks of that situation. Independent women will gladly do whatever they think is right and good for them. Let's not make it anymore difficult for them.

As for video game reviews. I don't believe in scores but believe in constructive criticism. I'm all for that. Even though I never read reviews because I like to play and try games by myself. Although, sometimes I'll read a review after I play or finish a game just to see what the reviewer thought and if differences were abound. But, clearly there is a market for this "evaluating score" stuff that the industry feeds into and its sad. As long as websites continue to do the same and offer numerical scores or star rating systems, etc. and don't offer bold change and lead by example. Nothing will ever change... but on the plus side, the inherent squabble over low scores makes for entertaining fluff that feeds the hordes of fanboys all over the internet and thats free marketing you can't buy.

He definitely came off high and mighty in that article based on how I remember it. I can see booth babes being dumb, but he was way over-thinking the problem.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The one most often held up as evidence that GB is the world's worst source of reviews is BlazBlue, from what I notice.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#83  Edited By musubi

@EpicSteve said:

They generally do a solid job at picking the appropriate guy on staff to review a game. I can't remember a specific instance when I completely disagreed with a review on this site.

@EPGPX said:

@GnaTSoL said:

He definitely came off high and mighty in that article based on how I remember it. I can see booth babes being dumb, but he was way over-thinking the problem.

Whoa I must have missed this article... can someone linky?

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By triple07

@Hailinel: Ah I see thanks for updating me.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#85  Edited By eroticfishcake

You see, this is why we should get rid of review scores. We get to hung over these hard figures which are a poor indication of the quality of a game that deserves a more in depth look.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#86  Edited By PandaBear

The one were Jeff gave a five-star review to that pro white supremacy game White Power on the 3DO.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#87  Edited By Claude
@Hizang said:

Mario Kart Wii, I mean only 3 stars COME ON!

I bitched like a motherfucker when that review was posted. That was back in the Giant Bomb blog days. The word fallacy was used in the comments, so it got pretty bad. Good times, but Lost Planet 2 got pretty damn depressing.
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#88  Edited By Ghostiet

Lost Planet 2. That shitstorm was incredible. Although I have to say I don't miss oldschool and Linkyshinks, considering their behavior after that review.

But it made for some delicious banter between them and HandsomeDead.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#89  Edited By KaneRobot
@ShinjiEx said:

Catherine got 2 out 5... Oh okay it's official the Resident Evil 6 review is now irrelevant.

You have to actually read the words along with looking at the star graphic at the top. 

Only controversy over Skyward Sword is from some scary individuals who are still having "8.8” flashbacks and can't move on in their lives. 

My pick would be MK vs DC getting a 5. Love MK as much as anyone, and enjoyed the game. It's just too bare bones. It's far too thin on characters, variety, and options (even before MK9 came along and set the bar for all fighting games as far as bonuses and single player), plus it had a fighting system that still needed some refinement. I'd certainly give it 4 stars, but 5 is including it in a class of games it didn't really deserve to be in.
Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#90  Edited By Nentisys

I disagree with many of their scores. For example I don't think Syndicate is anywhere near a 5/5 game.

But I wouldn't say they are that controversial.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By clstirens

@Barrabas said:

@Napalm said:

I, too, love Blazblue. It's just a less popular fighting game than Street Fighter (or even tekken, probably)

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By zaccheus

Syndicate and Renegade Ops reviews both I personally found pretty bizarre.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Aaron_G

I don't see controversy in a game's review score. It is one person's opinions versus one's own. I find it funny people look so much at review scores, if you like the game that should be good enough for you. I see reviews only as opinion not a score that I should use to decided if I want to play it or not. Because honestly, RE6 has gotten pretty negative reviews, but at some point I would like to sit down with the game and find out for myself why the game is bad or why it is an okay game.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#94  Edited By Cincaid

The one (I can remember) that made half of GB go into flames was the Lost Planet 2 review. The Nintendo Defense Force (or whatever they were called), a group of users on the forums, went completely bananas over it, and went on to insult & threaten the GB crew, and spam the forums for weeks on end. Eventually most of them were perma-banned, or left when their buddies were banned, and things thankfully became quiet again. One of them made a new account in time for the latest Zelda game being released, and tried to somewhat repeat the process when Patrick gave it 3 stars, but the mods quickly found out who it was and (I assume) re-banned him.

It was both pathetic and hilarious at the same time.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#95  Edited By Yummylee

@xobballox said:

Lost Planet 2 immediately came to mind. There was a HUGE shitstorm over that that resulted in a couple high-profile users ending up being eventually banned because of how they started acting after that review. Might have been another game that started that and I could be misremembering however.

Indeed. And frankly good riddance.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#96  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I remember being upset at their Fable 3 review (and talks about it on the bombcast). But then I finished Fable 3 and ended up agreeing with them.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I knew about the prominent Nintendo defense force's downfall, but I had no idea that was linked to Lost Planet 2 as its origin. That game didn't even come out on the Wii, so that's weird.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#98  Edited By Rafaelfc

I love when there is drama surrounding a review.

It's like watching terrible films ironically, it's so dumb it's fun

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By FluxWaveZ
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#100  Edited By Enigma777

Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor. That game is amazing!