Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By buzz_killington

Right off the bat, let me say I don't mean to insult any fanboys or anything like that. I was around since Final Fantasy 7 for the PSOne came out and all my friends played it but I didn't. Then came the 200 Final Fantasy games for the PS2 and I still didn't play any of them. I was really tempted to jump into one of the DS remakes and even rented Final Fantasy IV at some point but I never played it.
Anyways, Final Fantasy games sell like gangbusters and have fanboys stronger than Nintendo fanboys (*ahem*).  The only reason I ever wanted to play a Final Fantasy game was the hype, but the games do not appeal TO ME at all.

What is so great about the Final Fantasy games?
 It can't be the gameplay. They are not the best and most rewarding RPGs out there, are they? I have played by own fare share of Pokemon back in the day, and personally preffer more modern RPG games like Fallout and The Witcher, with fluid character movement and real-time controll over the combat. While the interface and combat of Final Fantasy games may have suited the SNES and the may suit the DS now, they are too limited and hands-off for modern systems.
And it can't be the story either. All I see is a bunch of boy/girl crossovers with terribly stupid names walking around a really anime-style universe. There are better anime stories out there, and there are better game stories out there.
It may be the graphics, but with the limited and hands-off gameplay, pulling it off must not be that hard.

So I want to ask the people who have played the Final Fantasy games this question: What is so great about Final Fantasy?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Brendan

Your post says that you enjoy N.A. style story/gameplay.  FF has a japanese flavour, became succasful in Japan, and then has alot of fans here that appreciate that culture as well.  Simple difference of opinion, as always.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

You don't want to insult fanboys? Why the hell not, they're freaking fanboys. Personally, the appeal for me comes from fun battle systems and memorable characters. And except for Final Fantasy XII, the fact that all those games aren't Final Fantasy XII.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Brendan

I am declaring myself the only fan of FF12 in the world.  Thank you very much.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By eclipsesis

I can't realy put my finger on it myself, i can say though, that i played ff7 on the ps1 when i was like 12 and it dealt with a lot of mature themes and subjects. For me it was one of them experiences that changed what gaming ment to me and my understanding for it as a true medium to tell stroies effectively, Since then i have been hoked and played every single release. And each one has its own lesson and morals which you can take from it which i think is a testiment to the man himself hironobu sakaguchi

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel
@Brendan said:
" I am declaring myself the only fan of FF12 in the world.  Thank you very much. "
Does this mean I'm not allowed to be a fan of the game?  I actually thought it was great, despite my initial impressions based on the terrible demo shipped with Dragon Quest VIII.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

I don't wanna insult fanboys but these games suck hard, and what I play is better.

Btw, you're generalising over East vs West and Real Time vs Turn Based and all sorts of shit that don't have to be just Final Fantasy.

So, um okay? Lol. Grow up.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

It's an incredibly polished game franchise with rather good stories and is pretty fast paced.
JRPGs are also awesomely awesome and FF is one of the only franchises people will actually admit to liking.

buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By buzz_killington
@Al3xand3r said:
"I don't wanna insult fanboys but these games suck hard, and what I play is better.Btw, your generalising over East vs West and Real Time vs Turn Based and all sorts of shit that don't have to be just Final Fantasy.So, um okay? Lol. Grow up."

Do I smell sarcasm?
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By oldschool
@buzz_killington said:
"
@Al3xand3r said:
"I don't wanna insult fanboys but these games suck hard, and what I play is better.Btw, your generalising over East vs West and Real Time vs Turn Based and all sorts of shit that don't have to be just Final Fantasy.So, um okay? Lol. Grow up."
Do I smell sarcasm? "
Probably  :-)

@Brendan said:
" I am declaring myself the only fan of FF12 in the world.  Thank you very much. "
Move over buddy.  The room is going to get full  :-)

I tend to think I am one of few who loved Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings on the DS.

You either buy into the FF world or you don't.  The fact that the OP does not buy into it says it all.  I do and it has set my wallet back a little:
DS - III, IV, XII: Revenant Wings, Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates, Tactics A2 & Fables: Chocobos Tale
Gamecube: Crystal Chronicles
PS1 - VIII
PS2 - X, X-2, XII, Dirge of Cerebus
PSP - I, II, Tactics: War of the Lion

and I plan to add many more that are already out, and those to come.  I enjoy them and that is the only thing that matters to me.  Convincing others to like it does not enter my mind.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

You should get IX on PS1, I thought it's far better than VIII and the style is kinda DSy with the SD characters :-)

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
@Al3xand3r said:
" You should get IX on PS1, I thought it's far better than VIII and the style is kinda DSy with the SD characters :-) "
If I could get any of them at a reasonable price I would.  They go for too much.  
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince

They're fun and they usually have characters that you grow attached to and will want to see their story through.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@oldschool said:
"
@Al3xand3r said:
" You should get IX on PS1, I thought it's far better than VIII and the style is kinda DSy with the SD characters :-) "
If I could get any of them at a reasonable price I would.  They go for too much.  
"
umm...considering you can't buy the console nor the PS1s new anymore, why not try for a rom and emulator?
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"@oldschool said: 
"@Al3xand3r said: 
"
umm...considering you can't buy the console nor the PS1s new anymore, why not try for a rom and emulator? "
Are you suggesting I break the law?  Surely not.  :-)

I have never downloaded a ROM in my life.  I am ignorant on how to do it, though I am sure I could learn.  
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

Really? That's expensive too now? That's absurd, it's not like Final Fantasy games are rare, they were high sellers in their time....

Amazon lists it for cheap but I'm not sure of the sellers.

Oh well, maybe they'll put it on PSN, I see no reason not to now that they've started with VII.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#17  Edited By strangeling

@OP

Some may argue story.
And they are damn pretty.

But like you, I am not a fan.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#18  Edited By King9999

These days, there are so many other good RPGs that I don't find Final Fantasy to be as exciting anymore.  I stopped playing FFXII after about 40 hours...I just wasn't feeling the license board and not having unique characters.  I'm not hyped for FFXIII at the moment, but that might be because it's still far away from release, and there isn't a lot of information on the game.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PureRok

Every Final Fantasy after VI (with the exception of IX) hasn't been good. This is why I've moved on to Dragon Quest.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Stang

Is it just me or do all the trolls have the same avatar?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oldschool
@PureRok said:
" Every Final Fantasy after VI (with the exception of IX) hasn't been good. This is why I've moved on to Dragon Quest. "
Not an either/or for me.  I am enjoying both equally  :-)

@Stang said:
" Is it just me or do all the trolls have the same avatar? "
Nah, It's just you.  Like an insurgent in Iraq, they are nigh on impossible to distinguish from the general population.  Then they open there mouth and  like an IED, let the carnage ensue  xP
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PureRok
@oldschool: That's good. I don't like Sci-fi at all, and Final Fantasy has definitely started leaving the FANTASY behind. At least I can get some good ol' fantasy from Dragon Quest still.
Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're usually pretty good in developing characters that you care about. Aeris no!!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By oldschool
@PureRok said:
" @oldschool: That's good. I don't like Sci-fi at all, and Final Fantasy has definitely started leaving the FANTASY behind. At least I can get some good ol' fantasy from Dragon Quest still. "
Now you mention it - it has been leaving the Fantasy behind.  I looked at the XIII trailer and the Romeo & Juliet, Baz Lurhmann style I took from it doesn't do it for me.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the film, but as a Final Fantasy game, not so much.  I like my fantasy old school and as much as I am a sci-fi fan, I don't want it in my fantasy games in general.  Give me a story like Fire Emblem Sacred Stones.

Still love FF though.
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Optiow

Well they always have great characters and stories. They have good replay time as well, usually over 50+ hours playing time at least.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By Seppli

Long time ago, I was into JRPGs. It was my favorite genre. This affection I had for the genre, I had because of 'Final Fantasy VI' aka 'Final Fantasy III'. Great graphics, sound, story, characters and combat system. Better than any JRPG I've played before it or since. In fact, it actually spoiled the genre for me. I've played so many of them, hoping one would top the experience, but it never happend.

I guess, everybody, who once was or still is into Final Fantasy games, has a similar attachment to one of its iterations.

Final Fantasy VI OST on youtube.com

Listen to that. It's a fantastic musical score! This game still holds up. If you ever play a Final Fantasy, I suggest you play part 6. Square is only as popular as it is, because it dominated completely during the 16-bit era. 'Final Fantasy VI', 'Secret of Mana' and 'Chrono Trigger' caused the ripples, that made Square-Enix legend. They gave Square-Enix this gravitas on the fans and the iron grip on the JRPG market, that you perceive. Final Fantas VII was the perfect storm. A freak of nature. The fans of the SNES holy trinity of japanese style RPG gameplay hyped Final Fantasy VII into something, it's not.

If you have never played the original 'Secret of Mana' - do it! It's much closer to western RPGs. Real time combat. Upgradeable weapons and magic. Maybe then you will understand the magic of Square-Enix. There Is a time and a place for Square games in every gamers life, you just weren't there yet.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By meptron

pretty much everything

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Some people just really enjoy the Japanese style RPGs.  I used to play them but can't anymore because I don't enjoy the gameplay.  Western is where its at for me, but I still respect what the JRPGs do.  I played Lost Odyssey for a long time even though I hated the gameplay.

LeoMinor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LeoMinor

I own every title in the main series except FF III, but I've only completed VII, X, X-2 and XII.  So I tried to like the series, just not enough to play through them.  Someday I'll finish them.....someday. 

Scieran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Scieran

Bottomline, it offers a great gameplay experience regardless of the platform, fantastic storytelling mixed with emotional scenes.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pazy
@Brendan said:

Im a fan of it too, I was playing it just 10 minutes ago :)
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Disgaeamad
@oldschool said:
"
@Al3xand3r said:
"
Any price is reasonable for Final Fantasy IX. Trust me.
cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cc23574

I for one, love FF for the gameplay,story and music. It always has a (awesome) complex but easy to understand story, great gameplay and emotional scenes, the character development is also top notch.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By oldschool
@Disgaeamad said:
"@oldschool said: 
"@Al3xand3r said: 
"
Any price is reasonable for Final Fantasy IX. Trust me. "
PAL versions are so much more expensive, but I will keep an eye out on eBay.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_A_Drain

You don't have to like them, and certainly you don't have to like the series as a whole either, you're allowed your own opinions, but posting them up here when you've already figured out why you didn't like them is just flamebaiting. They aren't your style of game, that's fine.

Personally, I absolutely loved 7 and 9, but 8, 10 and 10-2 I absolutely fucking hated with a passion. 4 I didnt finish, 5 and 6 I never played, and the rest.

darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By darkspirit138
@Stang said:
" Is it just me or do all the trolls have the same avatar? "
Arent they all the same troll? (*cough* ALEXANDER *cough*)
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jimbo

Cool worlds, the total craziness and high production values. 

Fighting an identical random battle for about the 10th time when you're just trying to run somewhere is a massive pain in the ass though - just padding out the length of the game for the sake of it - just give me the option to skip that shit already.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By cspiffo

I still prefer the oldschool SNES FF's to any of the 3D ones (though VII was good).  I don't know why they took off.  I think it's because the stories were so remarkable for there time.  The FF series always pushed the envelope in terms of technology, gameplay and story for the JRPG Genre.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#39  Edited By TobyD81

Awesome presentation, and I really do like the style of gameplay. When playing a western RPG, there seems to be a bigger push in putting me in the center of the action, where I have to be more aware of my surroundings to survive an encounter. With a Japanese RPG I get to take a step away from the action and issue commands from the outside. I feel like I'm taking the game a little more at my own pace, and that's relaxing. Of course there have been pacing issues with these games, and Final Fantasy has suffered from that as well, but on the whole I've enjoyed the series since the first installment on NES (now THAT game had pacing issues!) I'm trying to finish FF12 before 13 comes out, but I guess my preferences that I gave before keep me from connecting with it as deeply as I did with FF4, 6, and 10.

sai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sai

It's the crazy hair.

kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By kuwabaratheman

For me it's the enjoyable stories and well designed worlds combined with the very fun battle system. Final Fantasy games provide me with a good amount of challenge and fun, while also giving me a storyline that I can get wrapped up in.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42  Edited By LaszloKovacs

I was a fan right up until they went fully voiced in FFX. I think somehow the writing that worked in the 90s stopped working in the 21st century, although it could also be because the actual FF team left Square and started Mistwalker, whose Lost Odyssey I do actually like a lot.

I also think Squenix's attempts to "modernize" the combat system have been fucking terrible to say the least. I mean, think about FFXII. They take away control of your party and give you friendly AI which is deliberately bad and then make you earn better AI by finding "gambits". That's an awful system. I loved the story in that game, but sorry, I'm not dealing with teammates too stupid to fight bosses properly for forty hours.

buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By buzz_killington

I think people play the new games because of their good memories with the older ones. As I said, (I BELIEVE) they're gameplay style belongs to the past and is not really appealing compared to more modern RPGs.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By Kiemoe

The graphics are what pull most people into the game, but I stayed for the story. Eventually the battle system grows on you, at least it did for me, but much like MGS4, I felt like I was working to the next cutscene, because that's where the magic is at. I love the characters, and love how they all interact with each other. And battle systems like X-2 and XII actually made those games, when, for me, the characters and story lacked. I don't know how much I'm going to enjoy the story of XIII, because it seems iffy ATM, but the battle system looks like an intelligent upgrade from X-2, which is probably my favorite battle system of them all.

kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By kuwabaratheman
@buzz_killington said:
"

I think people play the new games because of their good memories with the older ones. As I said, (I BELIEVE) they're gameplay style belongs to the past and is not really appealing compared to more modern RPGs.

"
No, that's just your personal opinion, and one that clearly most people posting in this thread disagree with. There is nothing inherently dated about the game play style of the modern Final Fantasy games. In fact, I'd say the games have aged very well. The battle systems are very modern and engaging, and every Final Fantasy game has its own unique method of handling stat increases and level ups.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By buzz_clik

The title has alliteration in it.

What, you need more?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ZenaxPure
@Brendan said:
It's honestly my favorite in the series, just has a few problems.

Anyway to the OP - the games have always had well developed worlds/characters/plots, the same general battle system just evolving into something better each game. It has been an evolving series is all. If you liked the first one chances are you liked the one after that and so on. Doesn't apply to everyone since most people usually has one they hate. But I am just speaking in general.

Play a Final Fantasy game then go play another JRPG that came out in the same time frame. A lot more work/money went into making a higher quality product.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pazy
@LaszloKovacs said:
" I also think Squenix's attempts to "modernize" the combat system have been fucking terrible to say the least. I mean, think about FFXII. They take away control of your party and give you friendly AI which is deliberately bad and then make you earn better AI by finding "gambits". That's an awful system. I loved the story in that game, but sorry, I'm not dealing with teammates too stupid to fight bosses properly for forty hours. "
I didnt find them bad at all, though it may be the way I played. For the most part they healed me when I needed it (and each other) and attacked whatever I attacked. The only problem was they used offensive spells about half as much as I felt they should but im the sort of person who would tell them what to do regardless. I dont even know what Gambit stuff I have, I havent even looked at that menu ever.
Fei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Fei
FOR MEit is nostalgia for FF4, FF6, and FF7. Emulation became readily available in the late 90s and was able to play the ones that did not come to NA. Subsequently those games did not have any cultural barriers, I enjoyed them very much. Starting with FF7 and beyond (especially FF8) there became an increasingly difficult cultural barrier for me. I am not too fond of effeminate teenage boys out to save the world and the generic cookie cutter jpop super stylish up to the date fashion and hair of the recent final fantasies. If that is your kind of thing then realize I am not hating on it, I just cant get into it.

There was good story, an epic struggle, and fun gameplay but it has become hard for me to care about anything FF has done since FF8. It is a golden era bygone for me. Maybe its my age or how Ive grown to appreciate other RPGs but the series is generic and stale to me.
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By Optiow

I also think that Final Fantasy puts a lot of effort into the plot which is always nice to see in a game.